The American Heiress: A Novel by Daisy…

The American Heiress: A Novel (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Daisy Goodwin

Member:ablachly
Title:The American Heiress: A Novel
Authors:Daisy Goodwin
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Your library, At Brightwater

My Last Duchess by Daisy Goodwin (2010)

Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell (orlnich)
    America 1900 by Judy Crichton (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    To Marry an English Lord by Gail MacColl (michigantrumpet)
    Grace and favour;: The memoirs of Loelia, duchess of Westminster by Loelia Lindsay (Sarahursula)
    Sarahursula: Shy girl marries Britain's richest duke and lives in a Gothic mansion - part Cinderella, part Rebecca and one of the best tiaras on any book cover. And it's all true.

For daughters of the new American billionaires of the 19th century, it was the ultimate deal: marriage to a cash-strapped British Aristocrat in return for a title and social status."
Cora Cash was one such young woman....a daughter of flour fortune

Mother's sole purpose seemed to be Cora's refinement and ultimate marriage to British title.

I found our path through the British social scene to be witty, moving and entertaining.
There are secrets, traps and betrayals and decisions involving money and happiness.

I agree with the author (Daisy Goodwin) on the merits of audio. I
think it gives a distinct freshness and connection to the characters and the time period.

4* ( )
  pennsylady | Jan 26, 2016 |
I guess I would not recommend this book. Midway the story sort of stalled for me, and I just stopped caring about the characters. I did manage to finish it though. I felt the writing was mediocre. ( )
  cjservis | Jan 17, 2016 |
Slow to get going but definitely worth sticking with. In a nutshell, the premier fin de siecle American heiress, Cora Cash, travels to Europe after her childhood friend and love snubs her. Through a fortunate accident she then lands the most eligible bachelor. Dazzling wealth, a title, and what she thinks is love and happiness surround her until a stark truth comes to light. All is not as it seems as she navigates the treacherous social scene of the old world English aristocracy, especially with a rival love interest seeking to thwart and humiliate her. Though not a new story line, the characters are well developed, the scene set dramatically, and the ending a bit surprising. Not quite on par with Austen but still a satisfying read. ( )
  KEFeeney | Dec 6, 2015 |
I thought this was a delightful read! It was a bit slow going in parts but I felt the book closed up well in the story line. (that mother of hers!) ( )
  heathermjones | Aug 3, 2015 |
I had a hard time liking and connecting with the characters. For my complete review check out my blog, Rachael Reads!

https://rachaelsbookshelf.wordpress.com/2015/06/25/the-american-heiress-by-daisy-goodwin/ ( )
  Rachael_Reads | Jun 26, 2015 |
A shrewd, spirited historical romance with flavors of Edith Wharton, Daphne du Maurier, Jane Austen, Upstairs, Downstairs and a dash of People magazine that charts a bumpy marriage of New World money and Old World tradition.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Jun 1, 2011)

For my father Richard Goodwin - my ideal reader
The visiting hour was almost over, so the hummingbird man encountered only the occasional carriage as he pushed his cart along the narrow strip of road between the mansions of Newport and the Atlantic ocean.
UK Title: My Last Duchess

Beautiful, vivacious Cora Cash, the wealthiest debutante in America, is spirited away from the glamour and comfort of her Park Avenue mansion and suddenly finds herself Duchess of Wareham, mistress of Lulworth Castle, married to Ivo, the most eligible bachelor in England. As Cora is soon to discover, nothing in this strange new world is quite as it seems. Her handsome new husband is withdrawn and secretive; the English social scene is stuffed with pitfalls and traps; and there are increasingly dangerous forces at work, people who wish she'd never met Ivo in the first place. THE AMERICAN HEIRESS is a dazzling debut novel from Daisy Goodwin, whose brilliant new voice is reminiscent of Henry James, Edith Wharton, and Kate Morton.

"Be careful what you wish for. Traveling abroad with her mother at the turn of the twentieth century to seek a titled husband, beautiful, vivacious Cora Cash, whose family mansion in Newport dwarfs the Vanderbilts', suddenly finds herself Duchess of Wareham, married to Ivo, the most eligible bachelor in England. Nothing is quite as it seems, however: Ivo is withdrawn and secretive, and the English social scene is full of traps and betrayals. Money, Cora soon learns, cannot buy everything, as she must decide what is truly worth the price in her life and her marriage. Witty, moving, and brilliantly entertaining, Cora's story marks the debut of a glorious storyteller who brings a fresh new spirit to the world of Edith Wharton and Henry James. "For daughtersof the new American billionaires of the 19th century, it was the ultimate deal: marriage to a cash-strapped British Aristocrat in return for a title and social status. But money didn't always buy them happiness." --DAISY GOODWIN IN THE DAILY MAIL"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Heiress by Daisy Goodwin was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,270,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible