The American Heiress: A Novel by Daisy…

The American Heiress: A Novel (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Daisy Goodwin

Title:The American Heiress: A Novel
Authors:Daisy Goodwin
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Your library, At Brightwater

My Last Duchess by Daisy Goodwin (2010)

Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell (orlnich)
    America 1900 by Judy Crichton (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    To Marry an English Lord by Gail MacColl (michigantrumpet)
    Grace and favour;: The memoirs of Loelia, duchess of Westminster by Loelia Lindsay (Sarahursula)
    Sarahursula: Shy girl marries Britain's richest duke and lives in a Gothic mansion - part Cinderella, part Rebecca and one of the best tiaras on any book cover. And it's all true.

I thought this was a delightful read! It was a bit slow going in parts but I felt the book closed up well in the story line. (that mother of hers!) ( )
  heathermjones | Aug 3, 2015 |
I had a hard time liking and connecting with the characters. For my complete review check out my blog, Rachael Reads!

https://rachaelsbookshelf.wordpress.com/2015/06/25/the-american-heiress-by-daisy-goodwin/ ( )
  Rachael_Reads | Jun 26, 2015 |
I was totally enthralled with Downton Abbey - watching as many episodes on Netflix that I could. So, this was a great follow up book!

The story takes place at a time when America was filled with new millionaires due to all the industries here while England was filled with dilapidated estates in need of cash. The idea of an American heiress traveling to England with deep pockets in need of a husband is a great place to start the story.

Cora Cash is a filthy rich spoiled daughter of a flour baron and an incredibly driven mother. Mrs. Cash's sole purpose seems to be proving her importance through what she can buy and that includes her gilded daughter. Then a fateful coming out party and a flaming headress sends the mother and daughter to England to branch out and find a husband.

And that is where the book gets better. I liked Cora so much more when she was growing up - when she was becoming her own person, not her mother's shadow. But, it is a book - so true love doesn't come easily! There is an evil mother-in-law, a lost love that doesn't want to stay lost, and all the mysteries of English country living.
Cora is the most real personality in this glittering facade.

I was a little disappointed in how quickly the book came to an end. There was a lot of build-up and then - boom - it was over. That left me wanting more! But, I would recommend this! It's a great tale and a fun summer read! ( )
  kebets | Nov 1, 2014 |
If you are a fan of Jane Austen and/or Edith Wharton, do not believe the reviewers who claim that this book is similar to the remarkable literature produced by these fabulous writers. Daisy Goodwin's work falls flat for several reasons. One, she inserts a modern voice into the work; the characters sound decidedly too 21st century. Secondly, the grammatical errors alone were enough to induce me to stop reading. Every page was rife with comma splices. Has Goodwin never heard of a period or a semicolon? And third, the work lacks the depth of a novel such as The Age of Innocence, which is, in my humble opinion, one of the most perfect novels ever written. I definitely do not recommend this book to anyone expecting something resembling good literature. ( )
  silva_44 | Oct 25, 2014 |
It is the late 19th century. When rich American Cora and her mother head to Europe to find Cora a husband with a title, Cora doesn't actually expect to fall in love. But she does. She and Ivo soon get married and Cora moves to England. However, their life isn't what Cora expected it to be.

Despite not liking most of the characters in the book, I quite liked the book. But wow, what a bunch of stuck-up rich catty people! However, it was still entertaining to read. ( )
  LibraryCin | Sep 9, 2014 |
A shrewd, spirited historical romance with flavors of Edith Wharton, Daphne du Maurier, Jane Austen, Upstairs, Downstairs and a dash of People magazine that charts a bumpy marriage of New World money and Old World tradition.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Jun 1, 2011)
For my father Richard Goodwin - my ideal reader
The visiting hour was almost over, so the hummingbird man encountered only the occasional carriage as he pushed his cart along the narrow strip of road between the mansions of Newport and the Atlantic ocean.
UK Title: My Last Duchess

Beautiful, vivacious Cora Cash, the wealthiest debutante in America, is spirited away from the glamour and comfort of her Park Avenue mansion and suddenly finds herself Duchess of Wareham, mistress of Lulworth Castle, married to Ivo, the most eligible bachelor in England. As Cora is soon to discover, nothing in this strange new world is quite as it seems. Her handsome new husband is withdrawn and secretive; the English social scene is stuffed with pitfalls and traps; and there are increasingly dangerous forces at work, people who wish she'd never met Ivo in the first place. THE AMERICAN HEIRESS is a dazzling debut novel from Daisy Goodwin, whose brilliant new voice is reminiscent of Henry James, Edith Wharton, and Kate Morton.

"Be careful what you wish for. Traveling abroad with her mother at the turn of the twentieth century to seek a titled husband, beautiful, vivacious Cora Cash, whose family mansion in Newport dwarfs the Vanderbilts', suddenly finds herself Duchess of Wareham, married to Ivo, the most eligible bachelor in England. Nothing is quite as it seems, however: Ivo is withdrawn and secretive, and the English social scene is full of traps and betrayals. Money, Cora soon learns, cannot buy everything, as she must decide what is truly worth the price in her life and her marriage. Witty, moving, and brilliantly entertaining, Cora's story marks the debut of a glorious storyteller who brings a fresh new spirit to the world of Edith Wharton and Henry James. "For daughtersof the new American billionaires of the 19th century, it was the ultimate deal: marriage to a cash-strapped British Aristocrat in return for a title and social status. But money didn't always buy them happiness." --DAISY GOODWIN IN THE DAILY MAIL"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Heiress by Daisy Goodwin was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,881,078 books! | Top bar: Always visible