The American Heiress: A Novel by Daisy…

The American Heiress: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Daisy Goodwin

Member:ablachly
Title:The American Heiress: A Novel
Authors:Daisy Goodwin
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Your library, At Brightwater

My Last Duchess by Daisy Goodwin

Recently added byHbeck, JMC400m, etbm2003, NewsieQ
    Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell (orlnich)
    Grace and favour. The Memoirs of Loelia Duchess of Westminster by Loelia Lindsay (Sarahursula)
    Sarahursula: Shy girl marries Britain's richest duke and lives in a Gothic mansion - part Cinderella, part Rebecca and one of the best tiaras on any book cover. And it's all true.

Cora Cash is one of the wealthiest young women in America … and her ambitious mother, who has not been accepted into Newport “society,” wants to marry her off to a foreigner with a title. Cora won’t be the first – after all, it’s the 1890s and buying a title is common among daughters of the moneyed class.

The Cashes are wealthy beyond belief – father is a flour king – but Cora has given her heart to an American, Teddy VanDerLeyden. Her mother does not approve. Cora is whisked off to England where she promptly falls for a duke, literally.

The American Heiress is a romance, pure and simple. Nothing more, nothing less. And if it satisfies the cravings of Downton Abbey fans until the next installment arrives, that’s even better.

This is an OK story with OK characters and OK writing. ( )
  NewsieQ | Aug 17, 2014 |
This book was lighter than expected, not bad, but not the deeper historical fiction that it suggested it was. Plus, the lead male character was written like he was mysterious, but he really wasnt. He was rather flat. ( )
  radspd | Jun 22, 2014 |
I received this in a goodreads First reads giveaway.
This is a typical period romance. She is a rich American heiress, He's a titled Englishman. They both have secrets, and perhaps other options. I enjoyed it once I got past some of the beginning. It was a fluffy period read for me ( )
  purseproblm | May 31, 2014 |
I received this in a goodreads First reads giveaway.
  purseproblm | Apr 4, 2014 |
Overall, a fairly forgettable book. The characters were unsympathetic and not very likable - I thought Ivo as the male lead was a pretty weak character, and I just didn't care about any of the obstacles that Cora was facing (trying to fit it with English life--seating charts, redecorating, entertaining, blah blah blah). The writing was unimpressive...it felt pretty "dumbed down" to me (The American heiress's last name was Cash...really??). Several parts of the novel were borderline trashy and the ending was anti-climactic. The author preferred using commas when she should have used semicolons...I don't think I saw any semicolons in the book. I'm giving this three stars because the story was interesting enough that it kept me reading. ( )
  goet0095 | Mar 27, 2014 |
A shrewd, spirited historical romance with flavors of Edith Wharton, Daphne du Maurier, Jane Austen, Upstairs, Downstairs and a dash of People magazine that charts a bumpy marriage of New World money and Old World tradition.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Jun 1, 2011)

For my father Richard Goodwin - my ideal reader
The visiting hour was almost over, so the hummingbird man encountered only the occasional carriage as he pushed his cart along the narrow strip of road between the mansions of Newport and the Atlantic ocean.
UK Title: My Last Duchess

Beautiful, vivacious Cora Cash, the wealthiest debutante in America, is spirited away from the glamour and comfort of her Park Avenue mansion and suddenly finds herself Duchess of Wareham, mistress of Lulworth Castle, married to Ivo, the most eligible bachelor in England. As Cora is soon to discover, nothing in this strange new world is quite as it seems. Her handsome new husband is withdrawn and secretive; the English social scene is stuffed with pitfalls and traps; and there are increasingly dangerous forces at work, people who wish she'd never met Ivo in the first place. THE AMERICAN HEIRESS is a dazzling debut novel from Daisy Goodwin, whose brilliant new voice is reminiscent of Henry James, Edith Wharton, and Kate Morton.

"Be careful what you wish for. Traveling abroad with her mother at the turn of the twentieth century to seek a titled husband, beautiful, vivacious Cora Cash, whose family mansion in Newport dwarfs the Vanderbilts', suddenly finds herself Duchess of Wareham, married to Ivo, the most eligible bachelor in England. Nothing is quite as it seems, however: Ivo is withdrawn and secretive, and the English social scene is full of traps and betrayals. Money, Cora soon learns, cannot buy everything, as she must decide what is truly worth the price in her life and her marriage. Witty, moving, and brilliantly entertaining, Cora's story marks the debut of a glorious storyteller who brings a fresh new spirit to the world of Edith Wharton and Henry James. "For daughtersof the new American billionaires of the 19th century, it was the ultimate deal: marriage to a cash-strapped British Aristocrat in return for a title and social status. But money didn't always buy them happiness." --DAISY GOODWIN IN THE DAILY MAIL"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Heiress by Daisy Goodwin was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,086,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible