Grassroots: A Field Guide for Feminist…

Grassroots: A Field Guide for Feminist Activism

by Jennifer Baumgardner

So many people want to make change and make a difference in the world, and many turn to activism as a way to do this. But where do you begin? How can one person, or one group of people, dive into the foreign world of activism? Or, if that world is not familiar, what do you do if you want to continue making change, but are out of ideas or don’t know what path to take next? How do you become an activist or become a better one? These were some of the questions I was asking myself when I plucked Grassroots off the WC bookshelf.
As the title suggests, I was expecting to read “A Field Guide for Feminist Activism,” but found a wonderfully written book threaded with stories of real women and men who have accomplished everything from starting a small feminist club in their high school to creating a world-wide movement. The authors, Jennifer and Amy retell these stories and highlight the steps and strategy that went into making all of them possible. I think of myself as an activist, but many times begin to feel lost or that I’m not doing enough or doing anything really substantial. Jennifer and Amy were comfort and opened my eyes to so many new views and ideas. Not all activism has to consist of creating an entire movement, like Eve Ensler and the Vagina Monologues. It can be as simple as leaving your copy of a feminist magazine (like Ms. or Bust) in a public area (they suggest the dentist!), providing the opportunity for others to be introduced to those ideals.
Grassroots provides great insight and ideas whether you’re an aspiring activist or have been an activist for years. I know that I plan on getting my own copy so that I can continue to refer to it for all of my years full of activism yet to come. ~Ashley W.
  muwomenscenter | May 31, 2013 |
Only on the 2nd chapter. Winona LaDuke wrote a nice introduction reminding readers that great things can be accomplished while planning and organizing from your own sticky kitchen table. Amen, sister! ( )
  Julie_Brock | Apr 12, 2013 |
Although I still prefer Manifesta, the author's first book, this was an easy and enjoyable read. The authors do a good job of making both feminism and activism accessible - and it's always good to read the occasional success story to keep you going! ( )
  cransell | Mar 28, 2006 |

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:10 -0400)

A handbook for anyone involved in, or contemplating, feminist activism relates the author's experiences as a grassroots organizer who has learned how to move beyond philanthropy, writing congresspeople, and volunteering, embracing creative new forms of activism. From the authors of Manifesta, an activism handbook that illustrates how to truly make the personal political. Grassroots is an activism handbook for social justice. Aimed at everyone from students to professionals, stay-at-home moms to artists, Grassroots answers the perennial question: What can I do? Whether you are concerned about the environment, human rights violations in Tibet, campus sexual assault policies, sweatshop labor, gay marriage, or the ongoing repercussions from 9-11, Jennifer Baumgardner and Amy Richards believe that we all have something to offer in the fight against injustice. Based on the authors' own experiences, and the stories of both the large number of activists they work with as well as the countless everyday people they have encountered over the years, Grassroots encourages people to move beyond the "generic three" (check writing, calling congresspeople, and volunteering) and make a difference with clear guidelines and models for activism. The authors draw heavily on individual stories as examples, inspiring readers to recognize the tools right in front of them--be it the office copier or the family living room--in order to make change. Activism is accessible to all, and Grassroots shows how anyone, no matter how much or little time they have to offer, can create a world that more clearly reflects their values.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,151,565 books! | Top bar: Always visible