Wayfinder by C. E. Murphy

Wayfinder

by C. E. Murphy

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Had some difficutly getting into this book, could be that it was the second book of the series and I did not read the first. Often when that happens to me I will get the first titte then continue the series, that is not the case for me with this one. Just not my cup of tea. I gave it 31/2 stars because as much as it was not my type of book the writing was excellent.
  tmommy4 | Sep 3, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In a lot of children's stories, I find an annoying plot device I call "it just so happens." Right when a person or item or locale is needed, it shows up - just in the nick of time. With this story, its evil brother occurs far too often. When things start to go right for the heroes, something awful happens. Again and again and again. Also, I felt at times that the author wasn't playing tricks just on the characters, but me. Lastly, the plotting felt disjointed and episodic. The story was mostly saved by Murphy's usual smooth writing and interesting, approachable characters. ( )
  Morphidae | Oct 9, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed the world of Wayfinder. The characters were nicely fleshed out, and the story was well written without being oppressively intricate. You definitely need to read book 1 Truthseeker before Wayfinder, as it is definitely not a stand-alone. Both books of the Worldwalker series were pleasant reads for me.
  moppety | Oct 3, 2011 |
I was pretty bored by this story. There seemed to be a lot of traveling to and from, while racing to get somewhere before the villain. I found myself skimming through until it seemed like the action was imminent. I never really felt any urgency even though everyone was supposedly in a lot of danger. It felt like there were lots of little quests like retrieve Dafydd, save Ioan, return to Farie etc instead of one main goal where all the pieces fit into the overall story.

Even though this is billed as a romantic fantasy, there is very little romance. In fact there is not much character development at all, aside from Lara's growing powers. Characters from the first book pop in and out of the story with a disruptive suddenness.

The villains were never very clear. First one character and then another would feature as the villain and their motivations seemed hazy. They almost seemed like villains of opportunity. The one plus to this story is what ends up happening with the staff. It was creative and unexpected. But for me that wasn't enough to save the story. ( )
  readr | Oct 2, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Wayfinder is the second book in the Worldwalker Duology. I loved this series. C.E. Murphy always seams to come up with new fresh ideas. A sweet romance with lovable characters and plenty of twists and turns. ( )
  afreund | Oct 1, 2011 |

nce a tailor in Boston, Lara Jansen has crossed from Earth to the Barrow-lands, a Faerie world embroiled in a bloody civil war. Armed with an enchanted and malevolent staff which seeks to bend her to its dark will, and thrust into a deadly realm where it’s hard to distinguish friend from foe, Lara is sure of one thing: her love for Dafydd ap Caerwyn, the Faerie prince who brought her to the Barrow-lands. But Dafydd is missing and his home is closer than ever to a final conflagration. Lara has no other choice: she must harness the staff’s magic and her own truthseeking talents, blazing a path to a long-forgotten truth that will save the Barrow-lands…or destroy them forever.

Lara Jansen, having crossed from Earth into the Faerie world of the Barrow-lands, is armed with a malevolent staff which seeks to bend her to its dark will. She is sure of only one thing, her love for Dafydd ap Caerwyn, a Faerie prince whom she helped in solving a royal murder. Now Dafydd is missing--or even dead--as the Barrow-lands move closer and closer to a conflagration, and Lara must harness the perilous magic of the staff and blaze a path to the truth--a truth with the power to save, or destroy, the Barrow-lands.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Wayfinder by C. E. Murphy was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,311,042 books! | Top bar: Always visible