Beauty and the Werewolf by Mercedes Lackey

English (26)  German (1)  All languages (27)
This story line mostly uses Beauty and the Beast as the framework but does give a quick nod to Cinderella [ in a good way] and one scene to Little Red Riding Hood. It was a fun read but the only real problem was you knew who the bad guy was fairly early on and I honestly didn't feel there was much spark between the two protagonists no matter what was written down on the page. Of course this didn't stop me from tearing through the story quite quickly and still liking the whole idea of " The Tradition" that wants to warp people lives to fit certain folk tales with no regard to people's lives. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
3.5 stars. The story starts as a mash-up between Beauty and The Beast and Little Red Riding Hood, with a few elements from Cinderella sprinkled in.

Bella is on her way to visit Granny, the area’s Herb Woman. She’s wearing her father’s old hunting cloak, because it’s warm, and because it’s bright red, and she has no desire to be mistaken for a deer and shot as she passes through the woods. Still, she is waylaid and threatened by a rather beastly man on the way to Granny’s. After blowing off steam with Granny and figuring out a course of action to pay the man back, she enjoys her time with the wisewoman. When she leaves Granny’s cottage, it’s late, but she’s taken this path before, at this time, and there’s a full moon rising.

Cue the Big Bad Wolf. Bella manages to evade him, to arm herself with a stout tree branch, and to find a rock against which she can defend herself. Still, she manages to get bitten. Upon reaching home, she receives medical attention from one of her stepmother’s doctors. In the morning, she is basically arrested and hauled off to be incarcerated in Duke Sebastian’s manor, until it can be established she will not also “turn” at the time of the full moon.

I liked that in his human skin, Duke Sebastian was a young, shy, bespectacled wizard. He seemed about as un-scary a creature as possible, when not howling at the moon. Bella, on the other hand, came off a bit overbearing. She was nice to the servants, to her younger stepsisters, but that seemed to be because she dominated them. Granted, I probably would have an attitude too, if somebody bit me, and then I had to be quarantined, but she comes off more than a bit abrasive towards Sebastian in the beginning, and it seems that she flips to falling in love with him a bit suddenly.

The bad guy does everything but don a T-shirt saying, “I’m the bad guy.” Seems like everybody should have been saying, “It’s him, it’s him,” and then something throws them off and they felt guilty about it; instead it was like the elephant in the room.

I do like the way in all Lackey’s romances, it’s not the hero saving the heroine, or vice versa, but both of them saving each other. I loved the invisible servants and the skill in how Lackey can make a scrap of ribbon able to convey human emotion. And the humor, there’s always a great deal of humor in her stories.

I liked this book, but I didn’t love it. ( )
  writerbeverly | May 1, 2014 |
If you haven't read from this series before, READ "THE FAIRY GODMOTHER" BY LACKEY BEFORE READING THIS NOVEL

First and foremost, I truly struggled to connect with the main character, Bella. For the majority of the book, she appeared to be haughty, self-centered, controlling, and downright sassy (which, granted, isn't always a bad thing). Lackey may have intended for this to be so, for the character does improve over time. Furthermore, this disconnect may solely be personal, so don't let this be a major deterrent.

Secondly, potential romance and relationships remain a mystery throughout most of the novel. This didn't bother me, personally, yet others may find this frustrating. This mystery doesn't allow for much romantic growth, and the consequential relationship seemed a bit rushed, as if Lackey ran out of time. But again, not a major deterrent.

I did find this book entertaining, yet not Lackey's best work. ( )
  hanbridturner | Sep 25, 2013 |
I tend to be a sucker for fairy tale retellings, but in this one, it just seemed like everything was too easy on the MCs. I didn't doubt from the moment they met in human form that they'd end up together, and it was only her style that kept me reading. ( )
  Jami_Leigh | Mar 31, 2013 |
Sadly, this felt like a halfhearted effort by the author. Really easy to see where it was headed, conflict easily resolved, and kind of flat characters. Darn it. As I've said in other reviews of her more recent books, maybe I just expect more because I've enjoyed some of her earlier books so much. ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |
To the teachers of the world, especially my father-in-law.
You make the future.
The door opened, spilling out light and heat and laughter and a snatch of music into the darkened street.

The eldest daughter is often doomed in fairy tales. But Bella--Isabella Beauchamps, daughter of a wealthy merchant--vows to escape the usual pitfalls.

Anxious to avoid the Traditional path, Bella dons a red cloak and ventures into the forbidden forest to consult with "Granny," the local wisewoman. But on the way home she's attacked by a wolf--who turns out to be a cursed nobleman Secluded in his castle, Bella is torn between her family and this strange man who creates marvelous inventions and makes her laugh--when he isn't howling at the moon.

Breaking spells is never easy. But a determined beauty, a wizard (after all, he's only an occasional werewolf) and a little godmotherly interference might just be able to bring about a happy ending..

The eldest daughter is often doomed in fairy tales. But Bella vows to escape the usual pitfalls. She dons a red cloak and ventures into the forbidden forest to consult with "Granny," the local wisewoman. On the way home she's attacked by a wolf-- who turns out to be a cursed nobleman! Secluded in his castle, Bella is torn between her family and this strange man who creates marvelous inventions and makes her laugh-- when he isn't howling at the moon.… (more)

204 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,212,193 books! | Top bar: Always visible