King and King by Linda de Haan

King and King

by Linda de Haan, Stern Nijland (Illustrator)

English (36)  German (1)  All (37)
A children's book on homosexuality, the prince pushed to get married by the queen, chooses another prince! At first, Princesses are invited to meet the prince except none of them were quite what the queen and prince were looking for but then he spots a princess's brother and falls in love. Hideous illustrations and very questionable content I don't see this book being read aloud to a first grade classroom anytime soon. ( )
  maturne2 | Sep 29, 2016 |
"King and King" by Linda de Haan is a sweet book that introduces children to the idea of homosexuality when a prince choses another prince to be his king, rather than choosing a princess to be his queen. The book is humorous and the illustrations are intriguing and colorful. I think exposing children to books like this teaches them to accept love in its many different forms. ( )
  olivia.sanchez | Apr 25, 2016 |
When the Queen grows tired of her prince's lack of motivation and drive to become a King, she takes matters into her own hands. She brings in princesses from all over the world so that her son can find a match and marry. Match after match, no woman was catching the eye of the prince. Finally someone does! Another prince to be exact! They fall in love, get married, and become King and King.
This is another great diverse book that promotes acceptance and understanding! Although this is not the typical traditional outcome for a story like this. In a story like this, you would think that a prince should marry princess because "that's what princes and princesses do." I think that breaking down this idea and testing the norm is such a great thing to do with your students. I think that this book also does a great job introducing homosexuality and how it is handled. The mother kept pushing that he was going to find a princess but he does not want a princess but a prince! She accepted what and who her son was and the story continued on. ( )
  mlanford3 | Apr 19, 2016 |
I liked this book for 3 reasons. First I liked it because the writing was organized in a fanciful way. It wasn’t the traditional left to right and straight across structure, but the text was bended and curvy and big and small which made it more engaging and enjoyable to read. Secondly, I really liked the illustrations. They gave a clear picture of what was happening and they were very detailed and bright. They also showed the Prince’s feelings toward the princesses clearly without giving away the surprise. Lastly I liked the message. It’s very untraditional. Most people expect a prince to marry a princess but the prince ended up marrying another prince. Love is love. ( )
  MayaKenner | Feb 16, 2016 |
I really liked this book; it was my favorite of the ones that I read. First, I liked the illustrations. The pictures were very detailed and there were also real pictures as well as drawings. Another reason I liked the book was because of the plot and characters. The book introduces homosexuality and two princes get married instead of a prince and princess. The plot was suspenseful because the prince could not find a princess that he liked and his mother was pushing for him to get married. I was not sure whether or not he would end up finding someone who was going to make him happy. The queen and prince were very close and I really enjoyed watching their relationship grow as the story went on. The last thing I really liked about this book was the language. The story had a lot of jokes in it, which made the book enjoyable to read. There was one joke that the man made about one woman who had long arms and he said it would be easy for her to wave to all of the people in the crowd with them. The main idea of this book was to introduce homosexuality. At first, the prince was looking for a wife, but was not interested in that and ended up marrying a man. ( )
  oliviaceresi | Feb 8, 2016 |
In this mischievous twist on the picking-the-princess motif... Silly but affectionate collage illustrations match the text for whimsical irreverence, and the whole thing is so good-natured that only the most determined ideologue will be able to take offense. The political point of the book will of course be lost on most of the traditional picture-book audience, who will probably come to the simple conclusion that the prince likes boys better than girls, which, of course, he does.
added by CourtyardSchool | editHorn Book Magazine, Roger Sutton (Jul 1, 2002)

We all grew up with this story: a reluctant prince or princess is ordered to marry and rejects one suitor after another. But at last one whom no one else likes wins the royal heart, and the two live happily ever after. ... Their story starts traditionally.... But Princess Madeleine is accompanied by her brother, Prince Lee. And the two princes fall madly in love. What's more, they marry and live happily ever after. ... The illustrations, colorful cut-paper collages, are big and brash. Some characters' open mouths are a bit too brash for my taste, but the pictures are full of fun things to find.... First-time authors Linda de Haan and Stern Nijland met in art school and, according to their publisher, "enjoyed making the book very much and considered working on it one big party." Reading King & King makes one feel as if one has gone to "one big party" as well. And I, for one, had a marvelous time!
added by CourtyardSchool | editLambda Book Report, Nancy Garde (May 1, 2002)

Gr 3-5 - In this postmodern fractured fairy tale... the crown prince, who "never cared much for princesses," finally caves in and agrees to wed in order to ascend the throne... but none of the eligible princesses strikes the Prince's fancy, until Princess Madeleine shows up. The Prince is immediately smitten ... with her brother, Prince Lee. ... Originally published in the Netherlands, this is a commendable fledgling effort with good intentions toward its subject matter. Unfortunately, though, the book is hobbled by thin characterization and ugly artwork.... Some of the details in the artwork are interesting, including the "crown kitty" performing antics in the periphery. However, that isn't enough to compensate for page after page of cluttered, disjointed, ill-conceived art. The book does present same-sex marriage as a viable, acceptable way of life within an immediately recognizable narrative form, the fairy tale. However, those looking for picture books about alternative lifestyles may want to keep looking for a barrier-breaking classic on the subject.
added by CourtyardSchool | editSchool Library Journal, Catherine Threadgill (Mar 1, 2002)

[Starred Review] Move over, Princess Smartypants: this Dutch import arrives to take top honors in the fairytale-fracturing department. When the pushy queen of a small, unnamed country decides it’s high time for her son, the prince, to settle down and marry a princess so she can retire... the prince is unmoved until Princess Madeleine shows up with her brother, Prince Lee, and, “It was love at first sight. / ‘What a wonderful prince!’ ” The prince and Prince Lee are duly wed, “And everyone lives happily ever after.” ... Taken all together, the illustrations work wonderfully with the text to make its statement with no apologies whatsoever. ... On the final, wordless page, the happy couple smooch, the actual meeting of lips chastely fig-leafed by a bright red heart. Indeed a book whose time has come, this is no pusillanimous bibliotherapy; it is, rather, a joyful celebration that at the same time firmly challenges the assumptions established and perpetuated by the entire canon of children’s picture books. Hurrah to newcomers de Haan and Nijland and to the publisher for bringing them to an American audience. (Picture book. 5-7)
added by CourtyardSchool | editKirkus Reviews (Feb 1, 2002)

When a grouchy queen tells her layabout son that it's time for him to marry... Several unsatisfactory bachelorettes visit the castle before "Princess Madeleine and her brother, Prince Lee" appear in the doorway. ... "What a wonderful prince!" he and Prince Lee both exclaim, as a shower of tiny Valentine hearts flutters between them. First-time co-authors and artists de Hann and Nijland matter-of-factly conclude with the royal wedding of "King and King".... Unfortunately, the multimedia collages are cluttered with clashing colors, amorphous paper shapes, scribbles of ink and bleary brushstrokes; the characters' features are indistinct and sometimes ugly. Despite its gleeful disruption of the boy-meets-girl formula, this alterna-tale is not the fairest of them all. For a visually appealing and more nuanced treatment of diversity in general, Kitty Crowther's recent Jack and Jim is a better choice. Ages 6-up.

Linda de Haanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nijland, SternIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

I think this is great story. I can understand why it is controversial and how some parents would rather share this with their children at home. I still would not mind if this was on the shelf at my son’s school. I do think by making the book available it just provides children the opportunity to learn about accepting difference. We are all different. Parents are their child's first teacher, no matter what.

When the queen insists that the prince get married and take over as king, the search for a suitable mate does not turn out as expected.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,148,999 books! | Top bar: Always visible