Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London 2) by Ben…

Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London 2) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Ben Aaronovitch

Member:AdonisGuilfoyle
Title:Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London 2)
Authors:Ben Aaronovitch
Info:Gollancz (2011), Edition: Mass Market Paperback, Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Read in 2012 (inactive)
Tags:Kindle, 2012

Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch (2011)

English (87)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (89)
The second Peter Grant fantasy mystery (after Rivers of London/Midnight Riot). That story stared brilliantly but got bogged down later in some unsatisfying unbelievable plot twists. This one is much more rightly plotted and better over all. It picks up with Grant investigating a series of murders by vagina dentata -- a creature called the Pale Lady goes around cutting off the victims' penises with teeth in her vagina. Some of them seem to deserve it, more or less --the first was a drunk who tried to rape her --but the next turned out to be an unlicensed but serious student of classical magic (of which Grant is the only current licensed apprentice) and his connections led to another, highly skilled though illicit magician known only as the Faceless One( he uses magic to hide his face) who apparently uses the Pale Lady as his hitwoman (hitmonster?) while also reviving a former London club (apparently run by his own master decades before) which provides sex with feline/human hybrids. Grant has a great chase/shown fight with the Pale Lady which climaxes in the Trocadero (a real London entertainment center I have visited) . Later he has another showdown exchanging fireballs and other magic with the Faceless One himself while also fending off one of his hybrids, Tiger Boy. The Faceless One escapes, presumably to provide a sequel,. but the as Grant's own master Inspector Nightingale remarks, Grant was doing well just to survive against a much stronger mage. This did not feel as frustrating as escaping villains often do since it really was a hard-won fight. i think one reason I like this volume better is that Grant the hero is more genuinely heroic. (So is his master, who cleanses the hybrid club, and also tells how he took out two Tiger tanks during World War Two, at the apparently desperate struggle at Etterburg to which there have been several references but no full explanation so far. There is a third plotline involving vampires who feed off the life-force of jazz musicians but that leads to a plot twist I will not disclose, though I will say it was much more credible than some of the ones in the first novel, and yet similar enough that I saw it coming.. ( )
  antiquary | Jul 28, 2016 |
The second in the series. I enjoyed it so much that I immediately bought the third one to keep on reading it. There was a good development of the characters and background from the first in the series and I've also enjoyed it being set somewhere that I'm reasonably familiar with. ( )
  jmkemp | Jul 5, 2016 |
You can read about my thoughts about this book here:
http://storytimewithbuffy.wordpress.com/2013/10/09/moon-over-soho/ ( )
  BuffyBarber | Jun 5, 2016 |
READ IN ENGLISH

I had really enjoyed reading the first book of this series, Rivers of London (also known as Midnight Riot), so I was obviously also very curious to this second book, Moon over Soho.

Unfortunately I didn't like it as much as I liked the first book. Perhaps it was because I don't know enough about Jazz to understand properly what they were talking about, perhaps I wasn't completely charmed with the Riversex (and the ongoing quarreling between the different Rivers). It was still an enjoyable read, and I'm planning on reading the third book anytime soon... ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
Now that A Room Full of Elephants is out, I'm planning to read more. Top of the pile: Moon Over Soho, the second book in the Peter Grant/Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch. If you remember, I enjoyed the first tremendously.

Although not a sequel, Moon dovetails nicely with the end of the first book. Rivers had consequences, and they're not funnelled into the Thames to dilute to nothing. Rather, they form an underlying thread at which Aaronovitch occasionally tugs, with the promise of more in subsequent books. I'm glad he didn't wave the big red magical-realism reset wand: I'm now two books into a series, and I'm certainly here for the duration. (The third book's already lower down the pile.)

Where Moon isn't quite as successful, for me, is in the main plot. It feels a little disjointed, less coherent, than Rivers. Some of the plot developments aren't as surprising as it appears they're supposed to be. Without spoiling anything, our protagonist displays a certain... lack of due diligence in one particular area. I know from experience that it's tricky to keep revelations revelatory: as the author, you know whose fingers are in which pies and it's often hard to judge the correct balance between sprinkling a few crumbs and chucking buckets of pastry at the reader. Here it doesn't distract greatly from the fun of the book, merely triggering the occasional arctic eye-roll. (I'm sorry.)

One criticism I've heard – entirely fairly – about my own Till Undeath Do Us Part regards its detailed geographical references: the "he turned left onto King's Parade and waved at Charlie the bin-busker" sort of thing. Moon has these too. Not everyone likes them but I think they're fine here: London's a minor character, and the details help ground the reader in reality as a counterpoint to the magic. Knowing the locations – through personal experience or by reputation – heightens the fantastical elements.

I do like how Moon ends: both the end of the plot, and the winding up that takes place in the closing pages. Full of bittery sweetness, regrets and promise. The spark of magic glinting at the edges of the grey hardness of police life.

Overall: not quite as enjoyable as Rivers, but a solid, fun read that sets things up nicely for book three. ( )
1 vote anthonycamber | Apr 23, 2016 |

Ben Aaronovitchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holdbrook-Smith, KobnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walter, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Men have died for this music.

You can't get more serious than that'

Dizzy Gillespie
For Karifa, because every father yearns to be a hero for his son.
It's a sad fact of modern life that if you drive long enough, sooner or later you must leave London behind.
“Would you like me to arrest you?” I asked. That’s an old police trick, if you warn people they often just ignore you but ask them a question – then they have to think. Once they start to think about the consequences they almost always calm down, unless their drunk of course, or stoned, or aged between fourteen and twenty-one, or Glaswegian.
She opened her eyes. They were still blue. They were still Leslie's eyes. I tried to stay focused on those eyes.
"What do you think?" she said.
"I've seen worse," I said.
"Liar," she said. "Like who?"
"Your dad," I said.
It wasn't funny but I could see she appreciated the effort.
"Do you think you'll get used to it?"
"Get used to what?"
"My face," she said.
"You're always talking about your face, you know," I said. "You're just too vain. You need to think about other people instead of yourself all the time."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345524594, Mass Market Paperback)

BODY AND SOUL

The song. That’s what London constable and sorcerer’s apprentice Peter Grant first notices when he examines the corpse of Cyrus Wilkins, part-time jazz drummer and full-time accountant, who dropped dead of a heart attack while playing a gig at Soho’s 606 Club. The notes of the old jazz standard are rising from the body—a sure sign that something about the man’s death was not at all natural but instead supernatural.

Body and soul—they’re also what Peter will risk as he investigates a pattern of similar deaths in and around Soho. With the help of his superior officer, Detective Chief Inspector Thomas Nightingale, the last registered wizard in England, and the assistance of beautiful jazz aficionado Simone Fitzwilliam, Peter will uncover a deadly magical menace—one that leads right to his own doorstep and to the squandered promise of a young jazz musician: a talented trumpet player named Richard “Lord” Grant—otherwise known as Peter’s dear old dad.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:15 -0400)

Rookie cop and magical apprentice Peter Grant from Midnight Riot returns inthis urban fantasy tale of magic and murder, set to a jazz beat.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,327,742 books! | Top bar: Always visible