Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London 2) by Ben…

Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London 2) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Ben Aaronovitch

Member:AdonisGuilfoyle
Title:Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London 2)
Authors:Ben Aaronovitch
Info:Gollancz (2011), Edition: Mass Market Paperback, Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Read in 2012 (inactive)
Tags:Kindle, 2012

Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch (2011)

Recently added bythukpa, orangemonster, BomboChipolata, mhaar, Ellemir, thebookmagpie, hoegbottom, private library

English (80)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (82)

Moon over Soho is second in the Peter Grant series of novels about an occult policeman in London, of which I very much enjoyed the first a few months ago. I liked this one a lot too; I had hoped for more adventures with the personified London rivers, but I am happy to settle for jazz-loving brain-eating monsters. The narrator gets very convincingly grasped in the clutches of the bad guys without realising it. The ending is suitably downbeat and signals a narrative for at least the next book. Much enjoyed. ( )
  nwhyte | Jan 17, 2016 |
This is the second in a trilogy of books featuring apprentice wizard Peter Grant. This time Peter must investigate the death of Cyrus Wilkinson who is “a part time Jazz saxophonist and full time accountant”. He discovers a series of similar deaths amongst other jazz musicians in Soho – killed by… well a method that would make the male population’s eyes water just thinking about it!

I enjoyed this as much as the first book. It has it all, action, adventure and humour in spades and some fabulous quotes (I like this one: “For a terrifying moment I thought he was going to hug me, but fortunately we both remembered we were English just in time. Still, it was a close call.”).

It was a pity that Lesley (recovering slowly from her injuries sustained in book 1) and the Thames girls didn’t appear a bit more in the book – I hope we might see them in instalment three. I don’t want to say too much more about the storyline as I don’t want to give anything away. ( )
  Bagpuss | Jan 17, 2016 |
4.25/5
Another great story from Ben Aaronovitch. It's not as intense as the first one, but the humor and the observations are just as wry and brilliant.

I think what attracts me to this series is the language; you get unexpected bursts of laughter out of it and pretty much can quote from any page.

“Would you like me to arrest you?” I asked. That’s an old police trick: If you just warn people they often just ignore you, but if you ask them a question then they have to think about it. Once they start to think about the consequences they almost always calm down, unless they’re drunk of course, or stoned, or aged between fourteen and twenty-one, or Glaswegian.

There’s no such thing as a full-service forensics team. It’s very expensive, so you order bits of it up from the Home Office like a Chinese takeout. Judging by the number of noddy suits filing past us Stephanopoulis had gone for the super-deluxe meal for six with extra egg fried rice. I was, I guessed, the fortune cookie.

Peter's life as an apprentice to the magician is not an easy one and it only gets more and more difficult with each case but what I love about this guy is that he takes everything in stride and he improvises like mad. Peter has this brilliant mind of a crazy scientist. He learns spells, takes them apart and improves them - that's what's so fascinating about him. He's got a questioning mind.

This time when he investigates dying jazz musicians, the case hits close to home as his dad is trying to revive his career.

There is also a side case of an evil magician, who is playing havoc in Soho, and whose roots go back to the school where Peter's master learned his craft.

There are clubs with live music, sunrises on Soho's roofs, mad chase for magical creatures, wisps of vestigium... - all of it covering the old secrets and tragedies. There are no happy-endings, instead the end is always bittersweet which somehow makes what ifs of The Metropolitan Police magic even more real.

This is a solid series with great writing and world-building, and I would recommend it to anyone who likes urban fantasy with witty and wry male lead characters. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
I am really enjoying this series - take place in England and the London area - author makes comments to everyday things in London that I do not have a clue about, but looking them up and seeing what they are is pretty interesting in itself. Looking forward to book 3. ( )
  Mindslayer | Nov 18, 2015 |

Ben Aaronovitchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holdbrook-Smith, KobnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walter, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Men have died for this music.

You can't get more serious than that'

Dizzy Gillespie
For Karifa, because every father yearns to be a hero for his son.
It's a sad fact of modern life that if you drive long enough, sooner or later you must leave London behind.
“Would you like me to arrest you?” I asked. That’s an old police trick, if you warn people they often just ignore you but ask them a question – then they have to think. Once they start to think about the consequences they almost always calm down, unless their drunk of course, or stoned, or aged between fourteen and twenty-one, or Glaswegian.
She opened her eyes. They were still blue. They were still Leslie's eyes. I tried to stay focused on those eyes.
"What do you think?" she said.
"I've seen worse," I said.
"Liar," she said. "Like who?"
"Your dad," I said.
It wasn't funny but I could see she appreciated the effort.
"Do you think you'll get used to it?"
"Get used to what?"
"My face," she said.
"You're always talking about your face, you know," I said. "You're just too vain. You need to think about other people instead of yourself all the time."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345524594, Mass Market Paperback)

BODY AND SOUL

The song. That’s what London constable and sorcerer’s apprentice Peter Grant first notices when he examines the corpse of Cyrus Wilkins, part-time jazz drummer and full-time accountant, who dropped dead of a heart attack while playing a gig at Soho’s 606 Club. The notes of the old jazz standard are rising from the body—a sure sign that something about the man’s death was not at all natural but instead supernatural.

Body and soul—they’re also what Peter will risk as he investigates a pattern of similar deaths in and around Soho. With the help of his superior officer, Detective Chief Inspector Thomas Nightingale, the last registered wizard in England, and the assistance of beautiful jazz aficionado Simone Fitzwilliam, Peter will uncover a deadly magical menace—one that leads right to his own doorstep and to the squandered promise of a young jazz musician: a talented trumpet player named Richard “Lord” Grant—otherwise known as Peter’s dear old dad.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:15 -0400)

Rookie cop and magical apprentice Peter Grant from Midnight Riot returns inthis urban fantasy tale of magic and murder, set to a jazz beat.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,138,911 books! | Top bar: Always visible