Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London 2) by Ben…

Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London 2) (edition 2011)

by Ben Aaronovitch

Member:AdonisGuilfoyle
Title:Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London 2)
Authors:Ben Aaronovitch
Info:Gollancz (2011), Edition: Mass Market Paperback, Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Read in 2012 (inactive)
Tags:Kindle, 2012

Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch

English (97)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All (99)
All about jazz vampires in this book. After the shiny newness of "Magic is real!" has worn off, Peter Grant gets into deeper shit. And this is turning into Lev Grossman's The Magicians, without the alternate world, because *spoiler* Leslie the damaged former love interest, shown the existence of magic but denied access, learned magic by herself. Sound familiar? It's like Julia.

There was more space appropriated for worlding here, but I felt bogged down so I sometimes glossed over, say the well-researched sections on urban geography or architecture. Lots of sexytimes too if you like that, but which I skimmed through. Tbh I probably really only attentively read 80% of the text.

It's 2am and this was not a happy book. So much for plan to binge read, I need a breather. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
Jazz vampires, sordid crime scenes, creepy talking hands, macabre 'Island of Dr Moreau-ness' and some delving into the history of the Folly and why Nightingale is the only one (#sadface). A few sombre bits in this one, a lot of sauciness & some tender difficult moments (handled in the Brit way - viz. pretending it's not there/covering it up with attempt at sordid humor/miserable attempt at silent emotional support).

Great second book, but still feels a bit like the first book - i.e. laying ground work. Looking forward to the next installment - crocodile hunting? Addition to the crocodile hunting team? Lel. ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
There are many reviews of this book, so I'm only typing my thoughts here so I remember for the future. Peter Grant, up and coming wizard apprentice/police detective, has two cases. One has to do with jazz musicians dying untimely "natural" deaths, the other is getting to the bottom of the "pale lady" mystery and the possibility that there are magicians left in London unknown to authorities who are not using their abilities for the public good.

I loved that some considerate person has put together a station on YouTube to go with this book which has many variations of the song, "Body and Soul" by different artists. It made great background music while reading. I enjoy the relationship Peter has with his parents and Nightingale. Peter has some of the smart-assery I like, some of the compassion and the thirst for justice even if he pretends not to. I didn't care for the many wild sex scenes, but they were integral to a certain character's nature. ( )
  MrsLee | Jun 18, 2017 |
When Constable (and sorcerer apprentice) Peter Grant examines the body of a musician, he hears notes of old jazz, notes that aren't actually being played in the here and now, so Grant knows it's time for him and DCI Nightingale to go on the hunt for a supernatural killer. Aaronovitch has really built a wonderful world, firmly based in real life London, but with the supernatural added in such a way that it all seems possible, even probable; when Grant hijacks an ambulance to save one of the river gods, he gets a run-of-the-mill bollocking from his boss, as if he had broken any regular copper's rule. Also, when the people get hurt in this series, they stay hurt - there are no instant fixes for magical damage, which really adds tons to the story's verisimilitude. It's all very good, but what really brings it home for me are the characters who are just so witty and real that I need to root for them - this is another of the few books (authors, really) where I find myself going back in the text just to read some passages out loud. Very entertaining installment in a series I hope to follow for a very long time. ( )
  -Eva- | Feb 22, 2017 |
Good entry in the series. No significant drop off from Rivers of London (at least in my opinion) and actually takes some surprising turns here and there. Sets up a satisfactorily scary big villain for the next few books? (rest of the series, maybe?).

Not the place to start with the series (obviously). ( )
  dmmjlllt | Jan 21, 2017 |

Ben Aaronovitchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Holdbrook-Smith, KobnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walter, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youssi, WesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Men have died for this music.

You can't get more serious than that'

Dizzy Gillespie
For Karifa, because every father yearns to be a hero for his son.
It's a sad fact of modern life that if you drive long enough, sooner or later you must leave London behind.
“Would you like me to arrest you?” I asked. That’s an old police trick, if you warn people they often just ignore you but ask them a question – then they have to think. Once they start to think about the consequences they almost always calm down, unless their drunk of course, or stoned, or aged between fourteen and twenty-one, or Glaswegian.
She opened her eyes. They were still blue. They were still Leslie's eyes. I tried to stay focused on those eyes.
"What do you think?" she said.
"I've seen worse," I said.
"Liar," she said. "Like who?"
"Your dad," I said.
It wasn't funny but I could see she appreciated the effort.
"Do you think you'll get used to it?"
"Get used to what?"
"My face," she said.
"You're always talking about your face, you know," I said. "You're just too vain. You need to think about other people instead of yourself all the time."

Peter Grant is on
the trail of an ethically
challenged magician.
(passion4reading)
Turns out, jazz is the
foodstuff of life for certain
magical creatures.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345524594, Mass Market Paperback)

BODY AND SOUL

The song. That’s what London constable and sorcerer’s apprentice Peter Grant first notices when he examines the corpse of Cyrus Wilkins, part-time jazz drummer and full-time accountant, who dropped dead of a heart attack while playing a gig at Soho’s 606 Club. The notes of the old jazz standard are rising from the body—a sure sign that something about the man’s death was not at all natural but instead supernatural.

Body and soul—they’re also what Peter will risk as he investigates a pattern of similar deaths in and around Soho. With the help of his superior officer, Detective Chief Inspector Thomas Nightingale, the last registered wizard in England, and the assistance of beautiful jazz aficionado Simone Fitzwilliam, Peter will uncover a deadly magical menace—one that leads right to his own doorstep and to the squandered promise of a young jazz musician: a talented trumpet player named Richard “Lord” Grant—otherwise known as Peter’s dear old dad.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:15 -0400)

Rookie cop and magical apprentice Peter Grant from Midnight Riot returns inthis urban fantasy tale of magic and murder, set to a jazz beat.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,172,432 books! | Top bar: Always visible