Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London 2) by Ben…

Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London 2) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Ben Aaronovitch

1,096727,588 (4)207
Member:AdonisGuilfoyle
Title:Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London 2)
Authors:Ben Aaronovitch
Info:Gollancz (2011), Edition: Mass Market Paperback, Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Read in 2012 (inactive)
Tags:Kindle, 2012

Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch (2011)

English (70)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (72)
Moon Over Soho was very enjoyable although I think I liked the first in the series better. Peter Grant is mostly alone in his magical investigations while Nightingale recuperates and has to figure out what is causing the deaths of some of London's best jazz musicians. I particularly liked the jazz references and the introduction of Peter's parents into the story. Definitely looking forward to book number three in this series.
  hailelib | Feb 21, 2015 |
READ IN ENGLISH

I had really enjoyed reading the first book of this series, Rivers of London (also known as Midnight Riot), so I was obviously also very curious to this second book, Moon over Soho.

Unfortunately I didn't like it as much as I liked the first book. Perhaps it was because I don't know enough about Jazz to understand properly what they were talking about, perhaps I wasn't completely charmed with the Riversex (and the ongoing quarreling between the different Rivers). It was still an enjoyable read, and I'm planning on reading the third book anytime soon... ( )
  Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
Continues on fairly quickly from the previous book which it is necessary to have read. But bears very little relationship to the blurb on the back! This series has so far the least accurate blurbing that I've ever read. Revenge is not an anything to do with any of the plots in this book. Neither is the Moon, but at least it's mostly set in and around Soho.

There are several links back to hooks set in the previous book, but mostly Peter develops his magic a bit, visits Leslie who survived her face falling off, but is far from recovered, and does a bit of actual police work involving suspicious deaths in the jazz community, coincidently part of his father's career. Here - in the start of what I suspect might be a long running back-story - he discovers that there are a lot more magical beings and practitioners around than he (or even his boss) expected or thought possible. Some of them are seriously odd, and while the basic motivations seem reasonable, one seems only to exist for the purposes of the plot without any continuity to the explanation. - basic authorial errors that I don't like to come across.

Remains enjoyable though. It ends, but not all the loose ends are tied up, with plenty of hooks left for the rest of the series. ( )
  reading_fox | Jan 1, 2015 |
In the course of dealing with the fallout from the climax of "Midnight Riot," our hero Peter Grant essentially finds himself on his own for the first two-thirds of this novel and taking a turn at the sort of jobs that Inspector Nightingale would normally be doing. Almost needless to say, Grant finds no shortage of trouble to be involved in, trouble that involves, unlike the first book, facing great malicious evil (unlike the demiurge that hit London like a hurricane in the first book of the series). If you liked the first book there is no reason why you won't enjoy this one. ( )
  Shrike58 | Dec 30, 2014 |
Book two in the urban fantasy cop series that started with Midnight Riot (aka Rivers of London). This one features dead jazz musicians and vagina dentata (although not necessarily at the same time).

I had mixed feelings about the first book, as I really loved the setting, the way it handled the magic, and a number of other things, but I thought the pacing was way off and I had some issues with the plot, especially the way I was able to figure out certain things long, long before the characters did.

Well, I'm pleased to report that I didn't have the same problems with this one. The detective plot wasn't super-special, and it leaves a lot of things open to (presumably) be picked up on in the sequels. But it was entertaining enough, and never frustrating the way the first one was for me. I'm still liking the world-building and the way it handles the supernatural elements; a lot of what this series is doing could easily feel like a generic urban fantasy retread, but there's enough originality here to avoid that, as well as a very strong sense of place that really helps to ground things. I like the main character a lot, too, even if I do feel inclined to look askance at his willingness to hop into bed with a woman who is connected to a murder he's investigating. (Tsk, tsk!) There's a good sense of humor threaded through it all, too, as well as some appealing (to me, anyway) flashes of nerdiness.

So, overall, it was an enjoyable read, and I'm feeling much more interested in continuing on with the rest of the series now. ( )
1 vote bragan | Dec 11, 2014 |

Ben Aaronovitchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holdbrook-Smith, KobnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Men have died for this music.

You can't get more serious than that'

Dizzy Gillespie
For Karifa, because every father yearns to be a hero for his son.
It's a sad fact of modern life that if you drive long enough, sooner or later you must leave London behind.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345524594, Mass Market Paperback)

BODY AND SOUL

The song. That’s what London constable and sorcerer’s apprentice Peter Grant first notices when he examines the corpse of Cyrus Wilkins, part-time jazz drummer and full-time accountant, who dropped dead of a heart attack while playing a gig at Soho’s 606 Club. The notes of the old jazz standard are rising from the body—a sure sign that something about the man’s death was not at all natural but instead supernatural.

Body and soul—they’re also what Peter will risk as he investigates a pattern of similar deaths in and around Soho. With the help of his superior officer, Detective Chief Inspector Thomas Nightingale, the last registered wizard in England, and the assistance of beautiful jazz aficionado Simone Fitzwilliam, Peter will uncover a deadly magical menace—one that leads right to his own doorstep and to the squandered promise of a young jazz musician: a talented trumpet player named Richard “Lord” Grant—otherwise known as Peter’s dear old dad.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:07 -0400)

Rookie cop and magical apprentice Peter Grant from Midnight Riot returns inthis urban fantasy tale of magic and murder, set to a jazz beat.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,797,601 books! | Top bar: Always visible