Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London 2) by Ben…

Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London 2) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Ben Aaronovitch

1,166766,950 (4)214
Member:AdonisGuilfoyle
Title:Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London 2)
Authors:Ben Aaronovitch
Info:Gollancz (2011), Edition: Mass Market Paperback, Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Read in 2012 (inactive)
Tags:Kindle, 2012

Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch (2011)

English (73)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (75)
The Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch is the second entry in his Peter Grant Series. These books are an entertaining and lively blend of a police procedural with a fair bit of fantasy. Peter Grant is a London police constable and an apprentice wizard who is investigating the deaths of assorted jazz musicians and he very quickly begins to suspect magic is involved. Meanwhile, there is evidence that a black wizard is performing some pretty grotesque deeds in the Soho area as well. Peter needs to find out if all these incidents are connected.

Peter Grant, the lead character, is a wonderful, modern personality that helps to make these books such fun to read. His self-depreciatory humor and snide asides are always spot on. His inept attempts at romance and his inventive attitude toward life and magic help give these book a fresh appeal. As always the City of London is a major character and the author obviously takes great pleasure in this setting.

I found this book to be tighter in plot and less confusing than the first book. The secondary characters are as interesting as the main, and I for one, am looking forward to more Inspector Nightingale. Moon Over Soho mixes black wizards, jazz music and vampires into a unique blend of mystery and magic. This is a inventive, unconventional series that I will be continuing on with. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jul 25, 2015 |
I think I should have read the first book in the series first. I spent a lot of time trying to understand what was going on and how on earth the seemingly magical elements were supposed to connect with the story. In the end, I enjoyed the story and the characters. Will try the other book now! ( )
  rosiezbanks | Jul 19, 2015 |
I like Aaronovitch so much that I first listened to the book and then read it in print to savor his wit. ( )
  2wonderY | Jul 6, 2015 |
I enjoyed the first book in this series I had to go and get the next one straight away. I was not disappointed. ( )
  gregandlarry | Mar 13, 2015 |
Moon Over Soho was very enjoyable although I think I liked the first in the series better. Peter Grant is mostly alone in his magical investigations while Nightingale recuperates and has to figure out what is causing the deaths of some of London's best jazz musicians. I particularly liked the jazz references and the introduction of Peter's parents into the story. Definitely looking forward to book number three in this series.
  hailelib | Feb 21, 2015 |

Ben Aaronovitchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holdbrook-Smith, KobnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walter, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Men have died for this music.

You can't get more serious than that'

Dizzy Gillespie
For Karifa, because every father yearns to be a hero for his son.
It's a sad fact of modern life that if you drive long enough, sooner or later you must leave London behind.
“Would you like me to arrest you?” I asked. That’s an old police trick, if you warn people they often just ignore you but ask them a question – then they have to think. Once they start to think about the consequences they almost always calm down, unless their drunk of course, or stoned, or aged between fourteen and twenty-one, or Glaswegian.
She opened her eyes. They were still blue. They were still Leslie's eyes. I tried to stay focused on those eyes.
"What do you think?" she said.
"I've seen worse," I said.
"Liar," she said. "Like who?"
"Your dad," I said.
It wasn't funny but I could see she appreciated the effort.
"Do you think you'll get used to it?"
"Get used to what?"
"My face," she said.
"You're always talking about your face, you know," I said. "You're just too vain. You need to think about other people instead of yourself all the time."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345524594, Mass Market Paperback)

BODY AND SOUL

The song. That’s what London constable and sorcerer’s apprentice Peter Grant first notices when he examines the corpse of Cyrus Wilkins, part-time jazz drummer and full-time accountant, who dropped dead of a heart attack while playing a gig at Soho’s 606 Club. The notes of the old jazz standard are rising from the body—a sure sign that something about the man’s death was not at all natural but instead supernatural.

Body and soul—they’re also what Peter will risk as he investigates a pattern of similar deaths in and around Soho. With the help of his superior officer, Detective Chief Inspector Thomas Nightingale, the last registered wizard in England, and the assistance of beautiful jazz aficionado Simone Fitzwilliam, Peter will uncover a deadly magical menace—one that leads right to his own doorstep and to the squandered promise of a young jazz musician: a talented trumpet player named Richard “Lord” Grant—otherwise known as Peter’s dear old dad.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:15 -0400)

Rookie cop and magical apprentice Peter Grant from Midnight Riot returns inthis urban fantasy tale of magic and murder, set to a jazz beat.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,490,312 books! | Top bar: Always visible