Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London 2) by Ben…

Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London 2) (edition 2011)

by Ben Aaronovitch

Member:AdonisGuilfoyle
Title:Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London 2)
Authors:Ben Aaronovitch
Info:Gollancz (2011), Edition: Mass Market Paperback, Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Read in 2012 (inactive)
Tags:Kindle, 2012

Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch

English (95)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All (97)
When Constable (and sorcerer apprentice) Peter Grant examines the body of a musician, he hears notes of old jazz, notes that aren't actually being played in the here and now, so Grant knows it's time for him and DCI Nightingale to go on the hunt for a supernatural killer. Aaronovitch has really built a wonderful world, firmly based in real life London, but with the supernatural added in such a way that it all seems possible, even probable; when Grant hijacks an ambulance to save one of the river gods, he gets a run-of-the-mill bollocking from his boss, as if he had broken any regular copper's rule. Also, when the people get hurt in this series, they stay hurt - there are no instant fixes for magical damage, which really adds tons to the story's verisimilitude. It's all very good, but what really brings it home for me are the characters who are just so witty and real that I need to root for them - this is another of the few books (authors, really) where I find myself going back in the text just to read some passages out loud. Very entertaining installment in a series I hope to follow for a very long time. ( )
  -Eva- | Feb 22, 2017 |
Good entry in the series. No significant drop off from Rivers of London (at least in my opinion) and actually takes some surprising turns here and there. Sets up a satisfactorily scary big villain for the next few books? (rest of the series, maybe?).

Not the place to start with the series (obviously). ( )
  dmmjlllt | Jan 21, 2017 |
Peter Grant, police constable in the Metropolitan Police and apprentice wizard, investigates a series of seemingly natural deaths among jazz musicians, while also trying to hunt down a dangerous ethically challenged (that's black, to you and me) magician and trying to avoid upsetting the offspring of the local river gods, paramedics and various other inhabitants of London.

The second volume in the Rivers of London series of urban fantasy novels, this book shows a little more what it means to be a wizard, apprentice or fully qualified, employed by the Metropolitan Police, and it's a wonder that Peter Grant actually manages to get in some practice and training, he's so busy chasing after suspects (or otherwise engaged). While the engaging writing and easy deprecating humour are still very much in evidence, I would have preferred not to get to know Peter quite so intimately (if you catch my meaning); apart from that, after a fairly slow start the plot heated up very nicely and became rather tense, though certain passages are not for the squeamish. It is clear that certain developments will play a significant part in subsequent novels, and I will definitely continue with the series. ( )
  passion4reading | Jan 5, 2017 |
In this second novel of the Rivers of London series, Peter Grant continues to learn magic in his long apprenticeship with the expert wizard, Chief Inspector Nightingale. At the same time, the two of them - or largely Grant, as Nightingale recovers from injuries from the end of the previous novel - investigate two initially unrelated series of crimes. First, there are men who die from having their penises bitten off, perhaps by vampires? Second, otherwise healthy jazz musicians keep dying inexplicably around the time they are performing. This leads Grant to investigate a coven of vampires and an Oxford Don teaching dark magic to one, maybe more, apprentices, who then wreak havoc on London.

This novel, although a little ragged in plot (though not as bad as the first novel), is brimming with humour, inventiveness and gritty Met Police detail. Told as if by a diary written by Grant, it is stylish and immersive, and huge amounts of fun. And yet, there are also dark, disturbing passages, caused by the aftermath of evil magic, which add depth to the novel and its characters.

It's hugely enjoyable stuff, and I'm going straight to the next novel in the series. ( )
  RachDan | Jan 2, 2017 |
This is the second book in the series, but it's the fourth one that I have read. While I do love this series, this was my least favorite book so far. The good news is that the narrator of the audio books, Kobna Holdbrook-Smith, was even better in this book than he was in the first book, where there were some distracting sounds. He really is a wonderful narrator for these books. The bad news is that I didn't care for the plot which I thought was scattered and I particularly disliked some aspects of the plot. I could easily have done without the lengthy sex scenes and the side plot about the fiend who bites off penises. Also the river gods were mostly absent from this book and I generally didn't find it as witty and amusing as books 1, 3 and 4 of the series. Overall, I was a little disappointed by this one. ( )
  fhudnell | Nov 14, 2016 |

Ben Aaronovitchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Holdbrook-Smith, KobnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walter, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youssi, WesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Men have died for this music.

You can't get more serious than that'

Dizzy Gillespie
For Karifa, because every father yearns to be a hero for his son.
It's a sad fact of modern life that if you drive long enough, sooner or later you must leave London behind.
“Would you like me to arrest you?” I asked. That’s an old police trick, if you warn people they often just ignore you but ask them a question – then they have to think. Once they start to think about the consequences they almost always calm down, unless their drunk of course, or stoned, or aged between fourteen and twenty-one, or Glaswegian.
She opened her eyes. They were still blue. They were still Leslie's eyes. I tried to stay focused on those eyes.
"What do you think?" she said.
"I've seen worse," I said.
"Liar," she said. "Like who?"
"Your dad," I said.
It wasn't funny but I could see she appreciated the effort.
"Do you think you'll get used to it?"
"Get used to what?"
"My face," she said.
"You're always talking about your face, you know," I said. "You're just too vain. You need to think about other people instead of yourself all the time."

Peter Grant is on
the trail of an ethically
challenged magician.
(passion4reading)
Turns out, jazz is the
foodstuff of life for certain
magical creatures.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345524594, Mass Market Paperback)

BODY AND SOUL

The song. That’s what London constable and sorcerer’s apprentice Peter Grant first notices when he examines the corpse of Cyrus Wilkins, part-time jazz drummer and full-time accountant, who dropped dead of a heart attack while playing a gig at Soho’s 606 Club. The notes of the old jazz standard are rising from the body—a sure sign that something about the man’s death was not at all natural but instead supernatural.

Body and soul—they’re also what Peter will risk as he investigates a pattern of similar deaths in and around Soho. With the help of his superior officer, Detective Chief Inspector Thomas Nightingale, the last registered wizard in England, and the assistance of beautiful jazz aficionado Simone Fitzwilliam, Peter will uncover a deadly magical menace—one that leads right to his own doorstep and to the squandered promise of a young jazz musician: a talented trumpet player named Richard “Lord” Grant—otherwise known as Peter’s dear old dad.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:15 -0400)

Rookie cop and magical apprentice Peter Grant from Midnight Riot returns inthis urban fantasy tale of magic and murder, set to a jazz beat.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,253,402 books! | Top bar: Always visible