Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London 2) by Ben…

Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London 2) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Ben Aaronovitch

911None9,709 (4.01)158
Member:AdonisGuilfoyle
Title:Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London 2)
Authors:Ben Aaronovitch
Info:Gollancz (2011), Edition: Mass Market Paperback, Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Read in 2012 (inactive)
Tags:Kindle, 2012

Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch (2011)

2011 (16) 2012 (15) crime (47) crime fiction (13) ebook (29) England (17) fantasy (183) fiction (114) ghosts (10) jazz (26) Kindle (25) London (106) magic (67) music (10) mystery (66) novel (20) paranormal (15) Peter Grant (27) police (25) police procedural (20) read (16) read in 2011 (16) read in 2013 (11) Rivers of London (17) series (20) sff (12) supernatural (17) to-read (15) urban fantasy (126) wizards (30)

English (67)  Dutch (1)  All languages (68)
A statistically unlikely number of jazz musicians are dropping dead during or straight after a gig and a number of men have been found with their penises bitten off. Peter Grant, half of the Met's magic squad, is investigating these incidents. Are they related?

Better paced than the first in the series. I'm not sure whether the evil black magician is going to be a recurring character or an ongoing story arc through the books. Either way, although I'm quite happy to have the world built up over a series of books with more and more background revealed, I'd prefer each story to be complete in itself. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Feb 19, 2014 |
Not as good as Book 1, but still mostly satisfying.

I liked that only a short time had passed between the end of Book 1 and the opening of Book 2, and the loose threads had plenty of consequences. Sadly, this meant that Lesley (spelled Leslie in this edition -- maybe I got the UK edition of the first one? I don't know) was out of the picture for most of it. She is grossly disfigured and the ending gives her the start of a great arc.

The whole plot of this book centers on Peter having lots and lots of sex, which mostly isn't terribly graphic but did get a little tiresome...mostly because I tend to read pure erotica when I want to read sex scenes. I expect mysteries to have more mystery in them.

I was a little disappointed at how transparent the case was, but the journey was fun and the romp through jazz history was lovely.

GLBT-interest tag for 2 queer minor characters, commentary on cruising, and implications that a major character was bi. The narrative voice is relentlessly politically correct (as a person of color) and usually ironic about the institutionalization of PC culture -- except when it comes to the historical use of "Black Magician", which he won't stand for and insists be called "ethically challenged magician" instead. It's both funny and a really wonderfully presented example of why it matters.

Gender politics took a blow in this book, though, since the Pale Lady with the vagina dentata was killed (accidentally, kind of) by our hero, AND the love interest (along with her sisters) committed suicide in lieu of dealing with having killed dozens of people over the decades -- just before our hero reached the scene.

Meanwhile, the male villain got away. One of his male minion-victims died, but the villain himself got away. (I wish I were surprised, but given the amount of time Peter spends having sex when he should be solving his case, I'm hardly surprised.)

Anyway, not as good as the first, but I can't help but read the first book as the pilot episode with this as the transitional episode immediately following. The next one has the potential to be much better. And to show Leslie to much better advantage. *hopes* ( )
  sageness | Feb 7, 2014 |
Peter is back and effectively on his own since his mentor is still recovering from his gun shot wound. Mr. Aaronovitch has opened up the world to as many more stories as he can invent - magic is more prevalent than Nightingale thought and Peter seems to be attracting magical attention. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Jan 23, 2014 |
READ IN ENGLISH

I had really enjoyed reading the first book of this series, Rivers of London (also known as Midnight Riot), so I was obviously also very curious to this second book, Moon over Soho.

Unfortunately I didn't like it as much as I liked the first book. Perhaps it was because I don't know enough about Jazz to understand properly what they were talking about, perhaps I wasn't completely charmed with the Riversex (and the ongoing quarreling between the different Rivers). It was still an enjoyable read, and I'm planning on reading the third book anytime soon... ( )
  Floratina | Jan 23, 2014 |
In his second outing, young Constable Peter Grant of London is now a magical apprentice and member of the branch of the police that deals with supernatural crimes and events. In this book, jazz musicians are dying off suddenly, with a trace of magic on them- the strains of a jazz song popular in the 1940s. The story brings Grant’s father, a famous jazz musician, into the story. There is also a monster on the loose that is munching genitals- and not in the good way.

This book has a bit slower pace than the first one, which allows for more character development- I enjoyed finding out about Grant’s parents. Grant spends time learning more about magic and having an extremely physical relationship with a mysterious woman. His best friend, hideously injuring at the end of the first book, is learning magic faster than Grant is. While the jazz musician story wraps up at the end of this book, a longer story arc is woven in with it that is obviously going to take place over several volumes.

I didn’t enjoy this funny, violent, magical story quite as much as ‘Rivers of London’ but it’s still a great work of urban fantasy. ( )
  dark_phoenix54 | Jan 8, 2014 |

Ben Aaronovitchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holdbrook-Smith, KobnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Men have died for this music.

You can't get more serious than that'

Dizzy Gillespie
For Karifa, because every father yearns to be a hero for his son.
It's a sad fact of modern life that if you drive long enough, sooner or later you must leave London behind.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345524594, Mass Market Paperback)

BODY AND SOUL

The song. That’s what London constable and sorcerer’s apprentice Peter Grant first notices when he examines the corpse of Cyrus Wilkins, part-time jazz drummer and full-time accountant, who dropped dead of a heart attack while playing a gig at Soho’s 606 Club. The notes of the old jazz standard are rising from the body—a sure sign that something about the man’s death was not at all natural but instead supernatural.

Body and soul—they’re also what Peter will risk as he investigates a pattern of similar deaths in and around Soho. With the help of his superior officer, Detective Chief Inspector Thomas Nightingale, the last registered wizard in England, and the assistance of beautiful jazz aficionado Simone Fitzwilliam, Peter will uncover a deadly magical menace—one that leads right to his own doorstep and to the squandered promise of a young jazz musician: a talented trumpet player named Richard “Lord” Grant—otherwise known as Peter’s dear old dad.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:07 -0400)

Rookie cop and magical apprentice Peter Grant from Midnight Riot returns inthis urban fantasy tale of magic and murder, set to a jazz beat.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,218 books! | Top bar: Always visible