Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London 2) by Ben…

Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London 2) (edition 2011)

by Ben Aaronovitch

Member:AdonisGuilfoyle
Title:Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London 2)
Authors:Ben Aaronovitch
Info:Gollancz (2011), Edition: Mass Market Paperback, Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Read in 2012 (inactive)
Tags:Kindle, 2012

Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch

English (91)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  English (93)
This is the second book in the series, but it's the fourth one that I have read. While I do love this series, this was my least favorite book so far. The good news is that the narrator of the audio books, Kobna Holdbrook-Smith, was even better in this book than he was in the first book, where there were some distracting sounds. He really is a wonderful narrator for these books. The bad news is that I didn't care for the plot which I thought was scattered and I particularly disliked some aspects of the plot. I could easily have done without the lengthy sex scenes and the side plot about the fiend who bites off penises. Also the river gods were mostly absent from this book and I generally didn't find it as witty and amusing as books 1, 3 and 4 of the series. Overall, I was a little disappointed by this one. ( )
  fhudnell | Nov 14, 2016 |
I liked this one more than the first, and enjoyed the first quite a bit. Aaronovitch gets an extra star for how he handles Leslie's disfigurement. I listened to this rather than read and the narrator is good, and that always contributes. ( )
  mkunruh | Nov 13, 2016 |
It's a bit 'gritty', but this is a fun contemporary fantasy cop/detective story. It picks up from Midnight Riot (US title) / Rivers of London (UK title) with Peter Grant investigating the deaths of jazz musicians. They seem to be the result of natural causes, but...

The setting is contemporary London. The characters are fun. It's a good light read. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
So Moon Over Soho wasn't my favourite in the series so far but it's still a perfectly reliable source of entertainment.

I didn't like some of the characters and I guessed a little bit of the plot but there's still plenty of wry, witty, dry British humour and banter.

One of the characters I adore wasn't in it a lot, so obviously that dampened my reading experience a little bit but I'm hopeful that the next one is a little bit stronger and more enjoyable.

One thing I do really like about Aaronovitch is I think he writes about London vividly, so much so that it's almost sensory.

I also really like a lot of his female characters and how diverse the cast of this series is. c: ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
The second Peter Grant fantasy mystery (after Rivers of London/Midnight Riot). That story stared brilliantly but got bogged down later in some unsatisfying unbelievable plot twists. This one is much more rightly plotted and better over all. It picks up with Grant investigating a series of murders by vagina dentata -- a creature called the Pale Lady goes around cutting off the victims' penises with teeth in her vagina. Some of them seem to deserve it, more or less --the first was a drunk who tried to rape her --but the next turned out to be an unlicensed but serious student of classical magic (of which Grant is the only current licensed apprentice) and his connections led to another, highly skilled though illicit magician known only as the Faceless One( he uses magic to hide his face) who apparently uses the Pale Lady as his hitwoman (hitmonster?) while also reviving a former London club (apparently run by his own master decades before) which provides sex with feline/human hybrids. Grant has a great chase/shown fight with the Pale Lady which climaxes in the Trocadero (a real London entertainment center I have visited) . Later he has another showdown exchanging fireballs and other magic with the Faceless One himself while also fending off one of his hybrids, Tiger Boy. The Faceless One escapes, presumably to provide a sequel,. but the as Grant's own master Inspector Nightingale remarks, Grant was doing well just to survive against a much stronger mage. This did not feel as frustrating as escaping villains often do since it really was a hard-won fight. i think one reason I like this volume better is that Grant the hero is more genuinely heroic. (So is his master, who cleanses the hybrid club, and also tells how he took out two Tiger tanks during World War Two, at the apparently desperate struggle at Etterburg to which there have been several references but no full explanation so far. There is a third plotline involving vampires who feed off the life-force of jazz musicians but that leads to a plot twist I will not disclose, though I will say it was much more credible than some of the ones in the first novel, and yet similar enough that I saw it coming.. ( )
  antiquary | Jul 28, 2016 |

Ben Aaronovitchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Holdbrook-Smith, KobnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walter, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youssi, WesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Men have died for this music.

You can't get more serious than that'

Dizzy Gillespie
For Karifa, because every father yearns to be a hero for his son.
It's a sad fact of modern life that if you drive long enough, sooner or later you must leave London behind.
“Would you like me to arrest you?” I asked. That’s an old police trick, if you warn people they often just ignore you but ask them a question – then they have to think. Once they start to think about the consequences they almost always calm down, unless their drunk of course, or stoned, or aged between fourteen and twenty-one, or Glaswegian.
She opened her eyes. They were still blue. They were still Leslie's eyes. I tried to stay focused on those eyes.
"What do you think?" she said.
"I've seen worse," I said.
"Liar," she said. "Like who?"
"Your dad," I said.
It wasn't funny but I could see she appreciated the effort.
"Do you think you'll get used to it?"
"Get used to what?"
"My face," she said.
"You're always talking about your face, you know," I said. "You're just too vain. You need to think about other people instead of yourself all the time."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345524594, Mass Market Paperback)

BODY AND SOUL

The song. That’s what London constable and sorcerer’s apprentice Peter Grant first notices when he examines the corpse of Cyrus Wilkins, part-time jazz drummer and full-time accountant, who dropped dead of a heart attack while playing a gig at Soho’s 606 Club. The notes of the old jazz standard are rising from the body—a sure sign that something about the man’s death was not at all natural but instead supernatural.

Body and soul—they’re also what Peter will risk as he investigates a pattern of similar deaths in and around Soho. With the help of his superior officer, Detective Chief Inspector Thomas Nightingale, the last registered wizard in England, and the assistance of beautiful jazz aficionado Simone Fitzwilliam, Peter will uncover a deadly magical menace—one that leads right to his own doorstep and to the squandered promise of a young jazz musician: a talented trumpet player named Richard “Lord” Grant—otherwise known as Peter’s dear old dad.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:15 -0400)

Rookie cop and magical apprentice Peter Grant from Midnight Riot returns inthis urban fantasy tale of magic and murder, set to a jazz beat.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,638,918 books! | Top bar: Always visible