Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London 2) by Ben…

Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London 2) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Ben Aaronovitch

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
1,243806,384 (4.01)221
Title:Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London 2)
Authors:Ben Aaronovitch
Info:Gollancz (2011), Edition: Mass Market Paperback, Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Read in 2012 (inactive)
Tags:Kindle, 2012

Work details

Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch (2011)

Recently added byMaganja, salimbol, Beemac, BooksOn23rd, private library, leselotte, Legacy88, deerberry, kara-karina

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 221 mentions

English (78)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (80)
Showing 1-5 of 78 (next | show all)
Another great story from Ben Aaronovitch. It's not as intense as the first one, but the humor and the observations are just as wry and brilliant.

I think what attracts me to this series is the language; you get unexpected bursts of laughter out of it and pretty much can quote from any page.

“Would you like me to arrest you?” I asked. That’s an old police trick: If you just warn people they often just ignore you, but if you ask them a question then they have to think about it. Once they start to think about the consequences they almost always calm down, unless they’re drunk of course, or stoned, or aged between fourteen and twenty-one, or Glaswegian.

There’s no such thing as a full-service forensics team. It’s very expensive, so you order bits of it up from the Home Office like a Chinese takeout. Judging by the number of noddy suits filing past us Stephanopoulis had gone for the super-deluxe meal for six with extra egg fried rice. I was, I guessed, the fortune cookie.

Peter's life as an apprentice to the magician is not an easy one and it only gets more and more difficult with each case but what I love about this guy is that he takes everything in stride and he improvises like mad. Peter has this brilliant mind of a crazy scientist. He learns spells, takes them apart and improves them - that's what's so fascinating about him. He's got a questioning mind.

This time when he investigates dying jazz musicians, the case hits close to home as his dad is trying to revive his career.

There is also a side case of an evil magician, who is playing havoc in Soho, and whose roots go back to the school where Peter's master learned his craft.

There are clubs with live music, sunrises on Soho's roofs, mad chase for magical creatures, wisps of vestigium... - all of it covering the old secrets and tragedies. There are no happy-endings, instead the end is always bittersweet which somehow makes what ifs of The Metropolitan Police magic even more real.

This is a solid series with great writing and world-building, and I would recommend it to anyone who likes urban fantasy with witty and wry male lead characters. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
I am really enjoying this series - take place in England and the London area - author makes comments to everyday things in London that I do not have a clue about, but looking them up and seeing what they are is pretty interesting in itself. Looking forward to book 3. ( )
  Mindslayer | Nov 18, 2015 |
Diese und weitere Rezensionen findet ihr auf meinem Blog Anima Libri - Buchseele

In „Schwarzer Mond über Soho“ bekommt es Peter Grant, seines Zeichens Londoner Police Constable und letzter Zauberlehrling Großbritanniens, mit seinem zweiten Fall zu tun. Nachdem er in „Die Flüsse von London“ nicht nur den Streitigkeiten zwischen den Flussgöttern Mama und Papa Themse ein Ende gesetzt hat, sondern auch noch einen mordenden Wiedergängergeist gefasst hat, muss er sich nun mit den mysteriösen Todesfällen einer Reihe von Jazzmusikern auseinander setzen. Und schlittert dabei natürlich erneut Hals über Kopf in magisches Chaos.

Ben Aaronovitch schließt mit seinem zweiten Roman fast nahtlos an die Geschehnisse des ersten Bandes an, nur wenige Wochen sind seit dem vergangen und die waren offenbar weitestgehend ereignislos, außer Lateinvokabeln und explodierenden Zaubersprüchen gab es nicht viel, mit dem sich Protagonist Peter Grant herumschlagen musste. Dafür geht es nach einigen Seiten, auf denen das zuletzt Geschehene noch einmal kurz umrissen wird, direkt wieder zurück zur Action.

Dabei fand ich Peter ebenso sympathisch wie im ersten Band. Allein wie er sich mit seinen Lateinlektionen herumquält weckt auf Anhieb meine Sympathie – nach jahrelanger Schinderei, nur um nachher schick „Latinum“ auf dem Abizeugnis stehen zu haben, kann ich da direkt mitfühlen. Und auch sonst ist er ein rundum gelungener Protagonist, an dessen Seite man sich sehr gerne in diesen Fall stürzt. Er ist ein von Grund auf guter Mensch, hat aber genug Ecken und Kanten, um rundherum realistisch zu wirken. Gerade seine Schwäche, sich immer wieder gerne von allem möglichen ablenken zu lassen und seine Begeisterung für Magie und Naturwissenschaften und dafür die beiden unter einen Hut zu bringen.

Genauso begeistert hat mich auch diesmal die bildreiche Beschreibung der Szenerie, also London bzw. in diesem Fall schwerpunktmäßig Soho und dessen Jazzclubs. Da wird die Atmosphäre quasi zum Greifen dicht und die Stadt beim Lesen regelrecht lebendig. Da gibt es eine Menge Orte, denen man beim nächsten London-Urlaub direkt einen Besuch abstatten möchte und auch historische Informationen gibt es hier wieder einige. Die Liebe für seine Heimatstadt merkt man beim Lesen sowohl dem Autor als auch dem Protagonisten an.

Die Geschichte selbst ist erneut rundherum faszinierend. Voller Action und Magie und so spannend, dass man das Buch kaum aus der Hand legen kann. Erneut war es hier wieder gerade die Mischung aus verschiedenen Genres und verschiedener Elemente, Krimi und Urban Fantasy, Magie und Naturwissenschaften, die mich hier so sehr begeistert hat und das, obwohl ich, bevor ich den ersten Band gelesen habe, ja wirklich skeptisch war wegen dieser Mischung.

Alles in allem eine absolut grandiose Fortsetzung, die locker mit dem ersten Band mithalten kann. Spannend, actiongeladen und absolut magisch. Ungewöhnlich und super atmosphärisch umgesetzt. Leser, denen der erste Band gefallen hat, werden diesen garantiert auch lieben. ( )
  FiliaLibri | Nov 10, 2015 |
Aaronovitch has a gift for distinctive character voices, and I love the vivid nature of his world building—the London he conjures up here has more than a whiff of Pratchett's Ankh-Morpork about it. Still, while Moon Over Soho was an enjoyable read, I still had reservations about it. The protagonist—Peter—frequently does some very silly things, and I feel that I shouldn't be able to figure out what's going to happen a good hundred pages or so before a smart, trained police officer. There are believable missteps, and then there's having to make a character seemingly wilfully ignore what's going on in order for the plot to work. And while Aaronovitch is clearly thoughtful about race and how to present a multicultural London, he's much sloppier in how he treats gender. This book ends on a note that makes me want to pick up the third, but I am sending Aaronovitch a little bit of a side-eye. ( )
  siriaeve | Sep 25, 2015 |
As a sophomore effort in this series, this was a pretty strong story. As in the first tale, Rivers of London (or called something else in North America, I forget what, because I read a British edition), this one follows Peter Grant, a police constable who finds himself involved with the supernatural. The personal details in this story follow up nicely with the previous one, since Peter is still dealing with the gruesome fallout of his first big case, in which a fellow officer literally lost her face to a demon. In this story, something is attacking jazz musicians, which allows a look into Peter's family life, since his father is a once-renowned player. I must confess I had trouble following the story at times, but I blame myself because I found myself most often reading when I was very tired to begin with, so I read a lot of this book when I was falling asleep. I don't want it to sound as if it's a complicated story, because it's really not. In fact, it does what a series title should do: it builds on the first story and also introduces a brand-new one. It's a fun read, and heading into summer season it would be a great book to read poolside. I look forward to the next one, which is already in the pile beside my bed! ( )
  karenchase | Aug 20, 2015 |
Showing 1-5 of 78 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review

» Add other authors

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Ben Aaronovitchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holdbrook-Smith, KobnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walter, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
'Men have died for this music.

You can't get more serious than that'

Dizzy Gillespie
For Karifa, because every father yearns to be a hero for his son.
First words
It's a sad fact of modern life that if you drive long enough, sooner or later you must leave London behind.
“Would you like me to arrest you?” I asked. That’s an old police trick, if you warn people they often just ignore you but ask them a question – then they have to think. Once they start to think about the consequences they almost always calm down, unless their drunk of course, or stoned, or aged between fourteen and twenty-one, or Glaswegian.
She opened her eyes. They were still blue. They were still Leslie's eyes. I tried to stay focused on those eyes.
"What do you think?" she said.
"I've seen worse," I said.
"Liar," she said. "Like who?"
"Your dad," I said.
It wasn't funny but I could see she appreciated the effort.
"Do you think you'll get used to it?"
"Get used to what?"
"My face," she said.
"You're always talking about your face, you know," I said. "You're just too vain. You need to think about other people instead of yourself all the time."
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Publisher series
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (1)

Book description
Haiku summary

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345524594, Mass Market Paperback)

The song. That’s what London constable and sorcerer’s apprentice Peter Grant first notices when he examines the corpse of Cyrus Wilkins, part-time jazz drummer and full-time accountant, who dropped dead of a heart attack while playing a gig at Soho’s 606 Club. The notes of the old jazz standard are rising from the body—a sure sign that something about the man’s death was not at all natural but instead supernatural.

Body and soul—they’re also what Peter will risk as he investigates a pattern of similar deaths in and around Soho. With the help of his superior officer, Detective Chief Inspector Thomas Nightingale, the last registered wizard in England, and the assistance of beautiful jazz aficionado Simone Fitzwilliam, Peter will uncover a deadly magical menace—one that leads right to his own doorstep and to the squandered promise of a young jazz musician: a talented trumpet player named Richard “Lord” Grant—otherwise known as Peter’s dear old dad.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:15 -0400)

(see all 2 descriptions)

Rookie cop and magical apprentice Peter Grant from Midnight Riot returns inthis urban fantasy tale of magic and murder, set to a jazz beat.

(summary from another edition)

» see all 4 descriptions

Quick Links

Swap Ebooks Audio
4 avail.
143 wanted
3 pay6 pay

Popular covers


Average: (4.01)
2 7
2.5 5
3 75
3.5 49
4 253
4.5 28
5 110


An edition of this book was published by Audible.com.

See editions

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

» Publisher information page

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.


Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,878,874 books! | Top bar: Always visible