The Goddess Test (Harlequin Teen) by Aimee…

The Goddess Test (Harlequin Teen) (edition 2011)

by Aimee Carter

79417211,562 (3.75)1 / 21
Member:Kwidhalm
Title:The Goddess Test (Harlequin Teen)
Authors:Aimee Carter
Info:Harlequin (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:75 Book Challenge of 2012, Your library
Tags:Kindle

The Goddess Test by Aimée Carter

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini (megtall)
    megtall: Mythology in contemporary YA lit.

The Goddess Test was definitely better than I had expected. Several of the negative reviews I read took issue with how different Ms Carter's novel is from the actual greek myths it was inspired by. But this is a work of fiction based on another work of fiction...I love when a book wants you to look at things differently, and this book was written well enough that the authors' take on the myths seems completely plausible.

I also love when an author surprises me, so many of the books I have read later were 100% predictable, no real surprises. The Goddess Test had a couple subplots that completely surprised me--like Calliope being the bad guy-I truly was not expecting that at all.

I cannot wait for the sequel to come out-although I am truly hoping that Kate doesn't hook up with James, it doesn't seem likely at this point but with it being romantic trilogy it seems possible... ( )
  twileteyes | Feb 4, 2016 |
I loved this book, and how awesome Kate was (because all Kate's are awesome :) Henry was swoon worthy and I loved the mythology. Off to read the next books :) ( )
  uhohxkate | Jan 31, 2016 |
An sweet and sometimes dark twist of the tale of Hades and Persephone. Greek mythology with a modern touch. Starts out with a kick in the gut, tugging at your emotions. The story travels along with Kate as she tries to deal with the coming death of her mother, and moving to a strange new town. She meets several people who are not what they seem. They drag her through some terrible events and place her life in danger. She meets Henry, he makes her a offer, what she does with it sweeps changes everything.I could not put the book down I was enthralled. A very romantic read. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
Kate's mother is dying of cancer when the move back to Eden, her childhood home. Kate has spent the last four years taking care of her mother and has put her mother above living a typical teenage life. She doesn't make too many friends, except for Ava and James. Then she meets Henry, who claims to be Hades and offers her eternal life in exchange for becoming his wife, if she takes the deal she will live forever with only half her life spent in the Underworld, if she doesn't she wont remember any of it and will lead a normal life. However the choice is not just Kate's to make, she also must pass seven tests and be approved by the council.

This book was not what I was expecting. I thought it would be a retelling of Persephone going down to Hades, kind of a we got the story all wrong thing. It's actually more of a continuation of Hades' story. However that didn't make it any less enjoyable just not what I thought was going to happen.

I loved how this story worked but I'm afraid to go to into detail because I don't want to give anything away. I was really excited to see how the tests worked and who the council was. I did end up doing a little bit of research because I found what the tests were kind of a strange choice for the Greek gods but once I read more about them I thought it was genius. I liked who the council was and how they ended up judging and I was surprised to see who was who. I also loved watching Henry and Kate's relationship develop and that it wasn't all smooth sailing. There were steps forward, steps back and a lot of idling.

I'm very excited that it's actually going to have at the very least a sequel and I can't wait til the next one comes out.

Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
In Carter's first YA novel, the Greek pantheon isn't just down to Earth, it's occupying Eden, Mich., and attending high school. Kate Winters doesn't notice anything special about classmates Ava, James, and Dylan, but pale-eyed Henry gets her attention when he appears to resurrect Ava from the dead after a malicious prank goes horribly wrong. Kate can't quite believe that Henry is the god of the underworld, as he claims, but she also can't dismiss him. Kate's mother is dying of cancer, and Kate is willing to grasp at anything that might win her one more loving maternal conversation. The bargain she strikes with Henry is a grim one, but the full enormity of what she has undertaken—"live forever or die trying"—is not revealed until it's too late to recant. Carter wears her influences openly, with many passages reading like outtakes from Robin McKinley's Beauty by way of Neil Gaiman's Sandman. Nevertheless, the narrative is well executed, and Kate is a heroine better equipped than most to confront and cope with the inexplicable.
added by HarlequinBooks | editPublishers Weekly (Mar 7, 2011)

For Dad, who has read every word. You were right And in memory of my mother.
"How did it happen this time?"

EVERY GIRL WHO HAS TAKEN THE TEST HAS DIED.

NOW IT’S KATE’S TURN.

It’s always been just Kate and her mom—and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate’s going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won’t live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld—and if she accepts his bargain, he’ll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he’s crazy—until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she’ll become Henry’s future bride, and a goddess.

IF SHE FAILS...

Eden, Michigan, high school student Kate Winters strikes a bargain with Henry, Greek god of the underworld, if he'll cure her dying mother of cancer. The bargain she strikes with him is a grim one, but the full enormity of what she has undertaken--"live forever or die trying"--is not revealed until it's too late to recant.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,156,895 books! | Top bar: Always visible