The Goddess Test (Harlequin Teen) by Aimee…

The Goddess Test (Harlequin Teen) (edition 2011)

by Aimee Carter

620None15,679 (3.77)1 / 20
Member:Kwidhalm
Title:The Goddess Test (Harlequin Teen)
Authors:Aimee Carter
Info:Harlequin (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:75 Book Challenge of 2012, Your library
Tags:Kindle

The Goddess Test by Aimée Carter

2011 (11) ARC (5) Early Reviewers (5) ebook (9) fantasy (29) fiction (22) gods (3) goodreads (5) greek mythology (28) Hades (13) Kindle (6) mythology (37) netgalley (9) own (4) paranormal (9) paranormal romance (5) Persephone (6) read (10) retelling (6) romance (22) series (9) signed (3) supernatural (5) teen (5) to-read (49) unread (3) urban fantasy (5) wishlist (3) YA (36) young adult (38)
    Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini (megtall)
    megtall: Mythology in contemporary YA lit.

The first book in the Goddess Series tackles the story of Hades and Persephone. 18-year-old Kate Winters has cared for her sick mother over the past four years through her battle with cancer. Her mother's dying wish is to be taken from New York to her hometown of Eden. Once they arrive in Eden, Kate starts her senior year at school and meets Henry. He claims to be Hades, God of the Underworld, and offers Kate a chance to save her mother. If she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests, at the end of it becoming a goddess and Henry's wife. Kate is Henry's last chance find himself a new wife (Persephone left him 100 or so years ago) or fade into nothingness. The trouble is that someone has been sabotaging his efforts in the past and the other candidates have ended up dead.

Whist everything is not strictly according to tradition, this is a nice twist on Greek Mythology. Will read the next in the series. ( )
  boppisces | Feb 4, 2014 |
Originally posted at libriago.blogspot.com/2011/09/goddess-test.html

✭✭✭✭

I'm a huge fan of mythology. All of them. I really am, so when I see a book that has an interesting take on classic myths, I'm very interested.

In The Goddess Test, we get a modern girl who is thrust into the Persephone situation: six months in the mortal world, six months in the underworld. But the spin Carter places on these gods takes them from an essentially Greek mythology to a more universal one. (By that, I mean that these gods are portrayed as more overarching than for just the Greek world, the same but with different names in different cultures.)

It's a rather light, enjoyable read, and the fact that I stayed up until 3 am reading this in one sitting should say something. Also, I figured out most of the twist at the end, but some of it still surprised me. While it's not high literature, it's a fun way to spend and afternoon (or evening until early morning, like I did).

PS I love the cover of the sequel. The retro-70s vibe is awesome. The first cover is gorgeous, but I'm really digging the next.

Thanks to NetGalley and Harlequin Teen for an advance copy of the book. ( )
  shellwitte | Dec 11, 2013 |
The Greek gods are fun subjects. They are whimsical, petulant, and all-powerful. They have personalities that are larger than life and are so well-known that a few well-chosen words are all that one needs to be able to identify them. Aimee Carter’s The Goddess Test series is another in a long line of highly enjoyable stories about these infamous mythological beings. Her spin on them, however, is what makes the series sparkle.

In spite of the story being about Kate’s tests and potential future as co-ruler of the Underworld, The Goddess Test keeps the god talk to a minimum. She accomplishes this in part through the modern nomenclature. It is easy to forget that Henry and Hades are the same person because Henry is such an unassuming name. She also accomplishes this in the ordinariness of life at Eden Manor. Yes, there is magic and power, but there is also boredom, school, card games, sleeping and eating. These activities take up a majority of Kate’s experiences, thereby minimizing the fantasy.

Then there is Kate. She is everything one wants in a heroine – loyal, steadfast, compassionate, strong, resilient, and so much more. She has a backbone but understands how to pick her battles. She stands by her promises and is not easily distracted. She knows her own mind and is not afraid to stand on her own, even if that puts her in the minority among her peers. Watching her first learn about and then accept her potential new life, one envisions Kate as a fictional Grace Kelly struggling in her transition from actress to queen, for by the end of the story, she is every bit as poised and powerful as Grace was in Monaco. One knows at the very beginning that Kate is special, and it is a delight to watch her blossom into her potential.

The Goddess Test is frivolous and silly and an absolute blast. Ms. Carter introduces the Greek gods to a new generation, and her modern touches make them approachable and less otherworldly. There are some brilliant twists that only heighten the creativity and fun of the story. It is going to be thoroughly enjoyable to continue the series and see how Kate and Henry fare.
  jmchshannon | Nov 20, 2013 |
*Received ARC through NetGalley; book to be published April 26, 2011*

From Goodreads: Every girl who has taken the test has died.

Now it's Kate's turn. It's always been just Kate and her mom--and now her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall. Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld--and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests. Kate is sure he's crazy--until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess. If she fails..

I'm a huge fan of Greek mythology, and pretty much have them all down. It's rare for a story to come up with surprises for me, but this one did. I didn't see a lot of things coming because Ms. Carter puts such a neat and unique spin on things.

Hades, in particular, has always been one of my favorite gods. Sadly, his story is always the same...see beautiful girl picking flowers, kidnap beautiful girl, trick beautiful girl into eating pomegranate seeds, keep beautiful girl trapped for eternity. I don't know, I always saw things a bit differently. This book went more towards what I've always thought, which I loved. Hades isn't the big bad wolf here. He's sensitive, thoughtful, and a tortured soul. He has feelings, weaknesses, and fears.

And Kate isn't your typical YA female sellout. She sticks to her guns, and only allows her feelings to come out when she's ready. It's so not the usual 'girl-meets-beautiful-boy-falls-madly-in-love-wants-to-die-for-him-can't-live-without-him trash. I love that she's strong, yet vulnerable. I love that she puts aside her own needs to be strong for her mother, and I love that she throws her fears to the wind to try and save a friend. That's a believable character to me.

As far as the plot goes, it worked seamlessly for me. I really liked where Ms. Carter went with it. It worked nicely. Things made perfect sense to me, and there weren't any plot holes. It could easily be a stand-alone book, but I understand that there is a sequel (at least one) planned. I'm very happy about that, and will definitely be picking up more books in this series.

The book byline is "A fresh take on the Greek myths..." It most definitely is. Very fresh and very refreshing. I think fans of mythology, YA romance, and the supernatural will be huge fans.

As for me, I loved it. I'm giving it a 'Pick me' rating. ( )
  emmyson | Oct 9, 2013 |
Due to copy and paste, formatting has been lost.

I finally picked this book up because I was in a "mythology mood" and I thought this might be the read for me. Based on reviews and such, I was fairly excited about starting The Goddess Test. But...turns out that it really wasn't for me.

Let's start with Kate, shall we? Kate was... she was suffering from one of the greatest (and most fiendish!) of all book personality disorders - The Bella Syndrome. She was so whiny and self centered and I just couldn't fall for her as a character. She was so off-putting! To make matters worse, I found her to be very immature. I like for characters to have some semblance of personality, which is why I didn't like Kate. Her personality was as flat as the page it was written on.

The romance between Henry & Kate was also flat. At first, I felt like it had a little bit of potential...but. Can you say "Stockholm syndrome"? Because that's what was going on here. Henry was so morose and quiet, so we never really got to know him as a character. He really wasn't in The Goddess Test very much at all.

A lot of things didn't add up. And when I say "didn't add up", I mean that they really didn't. Maybe it made a little bit of sense in the end, but the things that made sense were ridiculous, and they pointed towards a fate (and plot point) that should have been obvious to Kate from the beginning, because I was sure questioning it.

I know that I've already talked about Kate a little, but I feel like she's worth revisiting. In the beginning, I was all set to like her. At about two chapters in, though, I was ready to kill her. She meets not one... but two boys that are "interested" in her within the first ten minutes. At the beginning of the second chapter, she begins the dreaded "pretty" speech. (I wasn't conventionally pretty, etc.) Then, suddenly, she has a "friend". Quite truthfully, I saw no development on the part of friendship. It was awkward.

At least there was no love triangle, though. That was a plus. You know what was a minus, though? The plot. I predicted most everything that happened. I wanted to be surprised, but... it wasn't meant to be. All in all, The Goddess Test just wasn't for me. ( )
  MVTheBookBabe | Oct 7, 2013 |
In Carter's first YA novel, the Greek pantheon isn't just down to Earth, it's occupying Eden, Mich., and attending high school. Kate Winters doesn't notice anything special about classmates Ava, James, and Dylan, but pale-eyed Henry gets her attention when he appears to resurrect Ava from the dead after a malicious prank goes horribly wrong. Kate can't quite believe that Henry is the god of the underworld, as he claims, but she also can't dismiss him. Kate's mother is dying of cancer, and Kate is willing to grasp at anything that might win her one more loving maternal conversation. The bargain she strikes with Henry is a grim one, but the full enormity of what she has undertaken—"live forever or die trying"—is not revealed until it's too late to recant. Carter wears her influences openly, with many passages reading like outtakes from Robin McKinley's Beauty by way of Neil Gaiman's Sandman. Nevertheless, the narrative is well executed, and Kate is a heroine better equipped than most to confront and cope with the inexplicable.
added by HarlequinBooks | editPublishers Weekly (Mar 7, 2011)

EVERY GIRL WHO HAS TAKEN THE TEST HAS DIED.

NOW IT’S KATE’S TURN.

It’s always been just Kate and her mom—and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate’s going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won’t live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld—and if she accepts his bargain, he’ll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he’s crazy—until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she’ll become Henry’s future bride, and a goddess.

IF SHE FAILS...

Eden, Michigan, high school student Kate Winters strikes a bargain with Henry, Greek god of the underworld, if he'll cure her dying mother of cancer. The bargain she strikes with him is a grim one, but the full enormity of what she has undertaken--"live forever or die trying"--is not revealed until it's too late to recant.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Goddess Test by was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,433,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible