The Goddess Test (Harlequin Teen) by Aimee…

The Goddess Test (Harlequin Teen) (edition 2011)

by Aimee Carter

72816312,878 (3.76)1 / 21
Member:Kwidhalm
Title:The Goddess Test (Harlequin Teen)
Authors:Aimee Carter
Info:Harlequin (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:75 Book Challenge of 2012, Your library
Tags:Kindle

The Goddess Test by Aimée Carter

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini (megtall)
    megtall: Mythology in contemporary YA lit.

Beautiful cover?
Check.

Luring premise?
Kate must pass seven rigorous tests in order to win immortality and marry the god of the Underworld, thus becoming a goddess. Yet all the girls who've tried before have ended up murdered in cold blood. That sounds pretty luring to me. Double check.

Astonishing/Out-of-this-world book?
Eh... no. Definitely not worthy of a check mark. This book was terrible; it had numerous and evident flaws. Let's touch on a few, shall we?

5 Things That Went Wrong (but there's more, I swear):
1. Slow beginning. I was promised seven tests. Halfway through the book, the author had only touched on two. Two. Petty things were given much more importance than the tests themselves! The female lead barely did anything except dress, eat, and flutter her eyelids at a certain Greek god. I'm supposed to like the book, not be bored to death.

2. Lack of description & suspense. I do not ask of authors to write a whole chapter on what the protagonist is wearing and how it looks, but I appreciate being offered at least one or two details about it. What does Henry (a.k.a. Hades) look like (aside from hot)? What does the puppy he gave Kate look like? What does the dress she was forced to wear look like? What does Kate look like (aside from "plain")? What does anything look like? I need to imagine accurately and according to the authors view. Not only that, but the so-called "big" plot twists were predictable. I usually saw them a mile away, and I'm convinced I don't stand alone in this. Give me something to work with, people!

3. Stereotypes & overused cliches. This book has it all: the I-love-you-but-you-love-someone-else situation, the slutty (and quite terrible) best friend, the male best friend that's in love with the female lead, the female lead who insists she's plain but has a couple guys fall instantly in love after a day in the new town, the catfights, the perfect and selfless lead, the thousand year old hot and powerful guy who's a virgin (Twilight, much?), the tortured yet mesmerizing romantic hero, and so on...

4. Where's the action? The supposed tests weren't given the importance they should've gotten and honestly weren't even a big deal to begin with. I was expecting Kate to be forced to battle dragons or survive in a desert or hunt people for sport... you get the idea. However, all I got was stupid tests on morality which did not even make sense in any shape, way, or form because of a point I will discuss in numero 5.

5. (Extreme) Errors in mythology. If you aren't familiar with Greek mythology, what it's mostly based on is violence and the complete lack of concern for human life. Zeus is the ultimate big guy of the big guys. He's the god of the bunch that does what he wants when he wants and you can't stop him. Although lower in rank, his brothers and sisters are, according to myth, just as bad. They're all guilty of incest (this book claims the gods aren't related which is inexcusably incorrect since they, in every way, were), murder (of their own families), adultery, lust, kidnapping, etc. Considering this, it is laughable that the author of this book could claim that all the gods, when gathered, were a... council. A council? These are greek gods we're talking about! They do whatever they want when they want. If they want to take your baby boy and kill him in front of you, they'll do just that. Claiming that they gathered to make decisions and to basically act like a democracy makes this book the farthest thing from Greek mythology. Kate was tested on the seven deadly sins which didn't make sense since the gods committed them all the dang time. To the gods, wrath, greed, gluttony, pride, lust, envy, sloth, and lust is completely nothing; they had no moral fiber. Therefore, why would they ever believe that a person who does not commit any of the sins throughout the tests is worthy of being immortal, when being a god/goddess means committing those exact things? Greek mythology is all blood and gore and that's the farthest from what this book offers. What's even more ridiculous is the fact that Hades, according to this book, is a virgin. Ha.. ha.. ha...........

The Goddess Test would've been crazy good if the author hadn't decided that making it into a foul, teenage romance story was the best way to go. 'Cause... if you've read this review... you know it was not the best way to go... ( )
  mararina | Jul 23, 2015 |
I love Greek mythology and I love books about them, whether it's non-fiction or fiction. The Goddess Test definitely falls into my favourites. Its pages turned itself because of the suspense and the brilliant plot; there was no way it could wait for its reader to catch up.

I feel that the story moved really smoothly and the characters stayed true to themselves. The plot was thought out and executed in style. I don't think the romance was cheesy, bad, or not tasteful at all. There was no romance at first but when it bloomed between Henry and Kate, it seemed real. Not the romance made of fluffy bunnies and flowers and summers on the beach. It was forced at first, because Henry was having conflicting emotions.

How does an ancient god give up his emotions for his long dead lover, Persephone, who didn't want him in return? And then transfer them to a girl he's only known for six months? But, Kate manages to give him hope and to care for him which eventually blooms into real love.

Throughout all the romance and friendships, Kate is tested by the council. These tests measure if she's able to become the Queen of the Underworld with Henry and become immortal. If she fails, she loses her mom and forgets everything that happened between her and Henry. If she wins, she can choose to live normally, live with Henry, as well as hold onto her mom.

Plot aside, I think Aimee Carter did a nice job of pairing up the characters with their god and goddess counterparts as well as making them each represent their true nature. (Except for Ella, perhaps.) I loved a lot about this book, and I believe it's now one of my favourites. Can't wait for the second book! ( )
  SpazzyDragon13 | Jul 7, 2015 |
I LOVED IT . I CANT WAIT TO READ THE NEXT ONE JUST AWESOME ( )
  silverdshay123 | Jun 23, 2015 |
No-recomendado por Violante y Majo

Me propongo leer de principio a fin libros considerados "malos". Mi intención es encontrar al menos UNA cualidad buena en ellos y reseñarlos objetivamente siguiendo 20 puntos a desarrollar brevemente. (Los puntos varían según el género del que se trate.)

Si tienen ganas de No-recomendarme otros libros
pueden comentar acá o ACÁ. ¡Cualquier género es bienvenido! Cuanto más variado, mejor :)

LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
3.5 stars

The story was captivating and I couldn't help but want to keep reading this. However it also threw in a lot of loops that make NO SENSE. And the worst part is I can't talk about it since it doesn't come out until the end!

kate's story is easy to follow and be a part of yet her lack on questioning anything annoys me. She is both strong in herself yet so very weak. She refuses to acknowledge life after her mothers impeding death and seems to have no desire to live her own life yet gets upset when others don't live theirs. Argh! Overall I did like her character though.

I mostly liked Henry but there is so much about him that is not shared. We have no real idea what kind of guy he is besides the wounded soul, protecting Kate. Ava annoyed me and Kate's friendship toward her makes no sense. Nor does how close James is to her after knowing him for only a few days.

**Review thoughts still in progress and will be ironed out when I have sorted through my thoughts on this book** ( )
  jljaina | May 16, 2015 |
In Carter's first YA novel, the Greek pantheon isn't just down to Earth, it's occupying Eden, Mich., and attending high school. Kate Winters doesn't notice anything special about classmates Ava, James, and Dylan, but pale-eyed Henry gets her attention when he appears to resurrect Ava from the dead after a malicious prank goes horribly wrong. Kate can't quite believe that Henry is the god of the underworld, as he claims, but she also can't dismiss him. Kate's mother is dying of cancer, and Kate is willing to grasp at anything that might win her one more loving maternal conversation. The bargain she strikes with Henry is a grim one, but the full enormity of what she has undertaken—"live forever or die trying"—is not revealed until it's too late to recant. Carter wears her influences openly, with many passages reading like outtakes from Robin McKinley's Beauty by way of Neil Gaiman's Sandman. Nevertheless, the narrative is well executed, and Kate is a heroine better equipped than most to confront and cope with the inexplicable.
added by HarlequinBooks | editPublishers Weekly (Mar 7, 2011)

For Dad, who has read every word. You were right And in memory of my mother.
"How did it happen this time?"

EVERY GIRL WHO HAS TAKEN THE TEST HAS DIED.

NOW IT’S KATE’S TURN.

It’s always been just Kate and her mom—and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate’s going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won’t live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld—and if she accepts his bargain, he’ll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he’s crazy—until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she’ll become Henry’s future bride, and a goddess.

IF SHE FAILS...

Eden, Michigan, high school student Kate Winters strikes a bargain with Henry, Greek god of the underworld, if he'll cure her dying mother of cancer. The bargain she strikes with him is a grim one, but the full enormity of what she has undertaken--"live forever or die trying"--is not revealed until it's too late to recant.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Goddess Test by was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,441,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible