The Goddess Test (Harlequin Teen) by Aimee…

The Goddess Test (Harlequin Teen) (edition 2011)

by Aimee Carter

84617410,632 (3.77)1 / 22
Member:Kwidhalm
Title:The Goddess Test (Harlequin Teen)
Authors:Aimee Carter
Info:Harlequin (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:75 Book Challenge of 2012, Your library
Tags:Kindle

The Goddess Test by Aimée Carter

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini (megtall)
    megtall: Mythology in contemporary YA lit.

I remember when The Goddess Test first came out and I was SO excited to read it. Although apparently not excited enough to read it right away, since I read it…four years later. I had forgotten about it (oops) until I came across it on Kobo one fine day. And thus my experience with The Goddess Test begun.

And a large part of me wishes I hadn’t come across it at all. Then it could have stayed as the epic fantasy of Greek mythological gods I had always pictured in my head. Instead I struggled my way through all of it, only holding on in the hopes that it would get better. It did not.

I disliked it so much I wrote down very little notes to write this review. I was just angry and upset at the characters.

The plot was alright. It was an interesting idea that probably could have been written a whole hell of a lot better. But it was passable.

As for the characters. Really, I’m upset with the MC. I’m sorry, but Kate was just stupid. I mean that in the nicest way possible, but come on. She makes a bargain with Henry, who is actually Hades, to save someone’s life. Okay, cool, way to be a hero. The person comes back to life. MIRACLE! But when Henry comes to her for her half of the bargain, she basically slams a door in his face and goes “what’s he going to do, really?”. SPOILER. He’s going to take back his half of the bargain. It isn’t that hard to comprehend. Unless I am the only one that guessed that (which I don’t think I was), then I am sorry and I take back this rant.

Essentially, my one word wrap up is: no. My two word wrap up is: just no. Sadly, I really wanted to read this entire series but I don’t think it’s going to happen now. ( )
  keyboardscoffee | May 30, 2016 |
read this book in 2 days ... sooo good ... cannot wait for the second ... the plot is going to get interesting I can tell : ) ( )
  danaaa_99 | Apr 6, 2016 |
If you like the story of Hades and Persephone you will like this book. This book is a retelling of that myth. I loved the story of Henry and Kate. The thing I didn't like was the pace of the book.
It would go back and forth from a slow to a fast pase. Other than that I loved the book! ( )
  tori_hoffert | Feb 29, 2016 |
The Goddess Test was definitely better than I had expected. Several of the negative reviews I read took issue with how different Ms Carter's novel is from the actual greek myths it was inspired by. But this is a work of fiction based on another work of fiction...I love when a book wants you to look at things differently, and this book was written well enough that the authors' take on the myths seems completely plausible.

I also love when an author surprises me, so many of the books I have read later were 100% predictable, no real surprises. The Goddess Test had a couple subplots that completely surprised me--like Calliope being the bad guy-I truly was not expecting that at all.

I cannot wait for the sequel to come out-although I am truly hoping that Kate doesn't hook up with James, it doesn't seem likely at this point but with it being romantic trilogy it seems possible... ( )
  twileteyes | Feb 4, 2016 |
I loved this book, and how awesome Kate was (because all Kate's are awesome :) Henry was swoon worthy and I loved the mythology. Off to read the next books :) ( )
  uhohxkate | Jan 31, 2016 |
In Carter's first YA novel, the Greek pantheon isn't just down to Earth, it's occupying Eden, Mich., and attending high school. Kate Winters doesn't notice anything special about classmates Ava, James, and Dylan, but pale-eyed Henry gets her attention when he appears to resurrect Ava from the dead after a malicious prank goes horribly wrong. Kate can't quite believe that Henry is the god of the underworld, as he claims, but she also can't dismiss him. Kate's mother is dying of cancer, and Kate is willing to grasp at anything that might win her one more loving maternal conversation. The bargain she strikes with Henry is a grim one, but the full enormity of what she has undertaken—"live forever or die trying"—is not revealed until it's too late to recant. Carter wears her influences openly, with many passages reading like outtakes from Robin McKinley's Beauty by way of Neil Gaiman's Sandman. Nevertheless, the narrative is well executed, and Kate is a heroine better equipped than most to confront and cope with the inexplicable.
added by HarlequinBooks | editPublishers Weekly (Mar 7, 2011)

For Dad, who has read every word. You were right And in memory of my mother.
"How did it happen this time?"

EVERY GIRL WHO HAS TAKEN THE TEST HAS DIED.

NOW IT’S KATE’S TURN.

It’s always been just Kate and her mom—and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate’s going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won’t live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld—and if she accepts his bargain, he’ll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he’s crazy—until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she’ll become Henry’s future bride, and a goddess.

IF SHE FAILS...

Eden, Michigan, high school student Kate Winters strikes a bargain with Henry, Greek god of the underworld, if he'll cure her dying mother of cancer. The bargain she strikes with him is a grim one, but the full enormity of what she has undertaken--"live forever or die trying"--is not revealed until it's too late to recant.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,179,196 books! | Top bar: Always visible