The Goddess Test (Harlequin Teen) by Aimee…

The Goddess Test (Harlequin Teen) (edition 2011)

by Aimee Carter

65015814,827 (3.76)1 / 21
Member:Kwidhalm
Title:The Goddess Test (Harlequin Teen)
Authors:Aimee Carter
Info:Harlequin (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:75 Book Challenge of 2012, Your library
Tags:Kindle

The Goddess Test by Aimée Carter

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini (megtall)
    megtall: Mythology in contemporary YA lit.

I knew a high-pitched voice signified a backstabbing bitch! Maybe it's just me, but anyone who is grinning ear-to-ear and jumping up and down to taste my food for poison, should probably be marked as a suspect . Gotta say,I did learn a few tricks of the trade from that oh so evil villain. the next time my arch nemesis makes a pass at my man,I won't take the obvious route and throw a little arsenic in her chile. Hell no! Send that bitch's libido into overdrive with some funky hot chocolate! Give some to the man of my dreams too! they'll be getting freaky all night long! That'll fix em! ....yea ...no. being a thousand years old hasn't taught your dumbass anything. ( )
  abigail33 | Aug 20, 2014 |
* spoilers *

Kate Winters's life isn't like other teenagers'. Her mother has terminal cancer and she has spent years taking care of her mother through chemo treatments, sickness, and health. Now, the fight is over and her mother's dying wish is to move back to her childhood town. Kate wants to finish high school, but wants to be there for her mom as much as she can. At school, she's the center of attention as a novelty, but no one except odd yet friendly James befriends her. Ava is jealous and tries to play a mean trick on her, but ends up dying instead. Henry, a dark and mysterious stranger, offers to save her in exchange for her fulfilling the role or Persephone to his Hades, who he claims to be. Kate has to decide if he's jut some crazy person or if she should take his offer seriously.

The Goddess Test is honestly kind of a mess. It's very Twilight like with Henry being the dark broody dark creature who just wants to be love with plain Jane Bella/Kate. I actually enjoy Twilight as a guilty pleasure, so I didn't have too big of a problem with that part. Their romance, while based on essentially nothing, was sweet. Kate's all over the place. I like her background taking care of her mother and having to grow up very fast. However, she makes some the dumbest decisions ever. All the other girls to take this test were killed by an unknown person and she thinks it's a great idea to open a random present. Girl, really? I was willing to let a lot of things slide to get my romantic guilty pleasure, but the last quarter of the book just pushed me other the edge.

At the end of the novel, the 7 tests administered to Kate are revealed to be on the 7 deadly sins, which is a Christian concept. These gods predate Christianity by thousands of years and reveled in the 7 deadly sins. They slept with each other, killed people, raped people, went to war, fought over lovers, and a whole slew of other petty, unpious things. As gods, they are above human morality. Suddenly, they hold Christian morals and it becomes earth shattering if Kate wants to eat food or sleep with her soon to be husband, which she was manipulated into doing because good girls don't have sex. Seriously, stop with the slut shaming, which is particularly heavy handed here with Kate's situation and with Ava (Aphrodite), who slept with 2 men who ended up trying to kill each other. It was ruled to be Ava's fault and she was condemned to be ostracized. It's especially important for teenage girls to know that their sexuality isn't something to be ashamed of. Female sexuality is viewed in the most bizarre way in our society where women who have sex are slutty and dirty, but if they don't they're prudes or frigid. Narratives like this simply reinforce this ridiculous double standard.

The Goddess Test ended up being a ridiculous novel that tells women that their worth is whether or not they have sex. I was on board for a guilty pleasure romance book, but this filled me with rage at its obviously Christian, puritanical message. ( )
  titania86 | May 21, 2014 |
I have always loved Greek mythology and I love retellings and reimaginings of fairy tales and legends. I got both in The Goddess Test, which makes me a very happy reader!

The characters in this story were wonderful! I love that Kate is created to be strong and independent, her own person. She has had to be strong not only for herself, but for her mother, too, who is slowly dying from cancer. It has always been Kate and her mother against the world and the thought of her inevitable future without her mother terrifies her. Henry, too, has his own story of suffering. He has been badly burned in love, tortured to the point that he sees no true future for himself. His immortality and the thought of a lifetime of feeling lost is overwhelming to him. His transformation is one of the shining points in the book, watching his character change and grow. Kate also meets James in her new high school, whom I loved. He was funny, open, sincere... just the kind of guy I would be attracted to! Kate also meets Ava, the typical high school Mean Girl who takes an instant dislike to Kate. Ava figures prominently in this book (in ways I can't reveal!) but she was one of my favorite characters throughout the book.

The Goddess Test tells the story of Kate and Henry and Kate's quest to pass the Tests. But there is much more to it. It is also the story of loss, love, and acceptance. The story line between mother and daughter was extremely emotional and, although it was bittersweet, it was one of my favorite parts of the book.

I loved the premise of this book, the Tests. In most mythology, the questing hero is male. So it was refreshing to have our questor be female. She accepts Henry's deal, knowing that no one has ever passed all seven tests. But for Kate, it is worth trying just for a chance at a little more time with her mother.

There are a lot of twists and turns with these tests, coming in unexpected ways and places. There are a number of clues throughout the book about the gods and goddesses, as well as the nature of the twists. Some of them are easy to identify, while others keep you guessing until the end!

Purists might not enjoy some of the changes to the traditional stories and representations of Greek mythology. But these kinds of changes are appropriate to the story, not to mention the YA demographic. And those kinds of changes are exactly why I love retellings/reimaginings... fresh, new looks at established characters and stories. I felt that, while some things have changed, the essence of who these gods and goddesses were in traditional mythology was maintained.

Some Quotastic Goodness

--Keep trying until you have no more chances left.
--Sometimes we misjudge what is possible and what is not.
--Whatever obstacles you face, remember you can get through anything if you want to badly enough.
--No matter what happens, I will always be there for you, even if you do not remember who I am.
--But if this works-if I pass, I need to know that when you look at me, you're going to see me, not just her replacement. That there is more in this future for me than standing in the shadows while you wallow the rest of your existence away.
--The afterlife is whatever a soul wishes or believes it to be.

My Recommendation: I truly enjoyed this book! I love that the romance in it was one of mutual respect and not overly swoony, gushy love. The retelling/reimagining of traditional mythology was fantastic! I highly recommend this read for lovers of retellings and of Greek mythology!

*This review originally appeared at my blog, http://thecaffeinateddivareads.multifacetedmama.com/?p=8722. ( )
  Kiki870 | Apr 22, 2014 |
The first book in the Goddess Series tackles the story of Hades and Persephone. 18-year-old Kate Winters has cared for her sick mother over the past four years through her battle with cancer. Her mother's dying wish is to be taken from New York to her hometown of Eden. Once they arrive in Eden, Kate starts her senior year at school and meets Henry. He claims to be Hades, God of the Underworld, and offers Kate a chance to save her mother. If she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests, at the end of it becoming a goddess and Henry's wife. Kate is Henry's last chance find himself a new wife (Persephone left him 100 or so years ago) or fade into nothingness. The trouble is that someone has been sabotaging his efforts in the past and the other candidates have ended up dead.

Whist everything is not strictly according to tradition, this is a nice twist on Greek Mythology. Will read the next in the series. ( )
  boppisces | Feb 4, 2014 |
Originally posted at libriago.blogspot.com/2011/09/goddess-test.html

✭✭✭✭

I'm a huge fan of mythology. All of them. I really am, so when I see a book that has an interesting take on classic myths, I'm very interested.

In The Goddess Test, we get a modern girl who is thrust into the Persephone situation: six months in the mortal world, six months in the underworld. But the spin Carter places on these gods takes them from an essentially Greek mythology to a more universal one. (By that, I mean that these gods are portrayed as more overarching than for just the Greek world, the same but with different names in different cultures.)

It's a rather light, enjoyable read, and the fact that I stayed up until 3 am reading this in one sitting should say something. Also, I figured out most of the twist at the end, but some of it still surprised me. While it's not high literature, it's a fun way to spend and afternoon (or evening until early morning, like I did).

PS I love the cover of the sequel. The retro-70s vibe is awesome. The first cover is gorgeous, but I'm really digging the next.

Thanks to NetGalley and Harlequin Teen for an advance copy of the book. ( )
  shellwitte | Dec 11, 2013 |
In Carter's first YA novel, the Greek pantheon isn't just down to Earth, it's occupying Eden, Mich., and attending high school. Kate Winters doesn't notice anything special about classmates Ava, James, and Dylan, but pale-eyed Henry gets her attention when he appears to resurrect Ava from the dead after a malicious prank goes horribly wrong. Kate can't quite believe that Henry is the god of the underworld, as he claims, but she also can't dismiss him. Kate's mother is dying of cancer, and Kate is willing to grasp at anything that might win her one more loving maternal conversation. The bargain she strikes with Henry is a grim one, but the full enormity of what she has undertaken—"live forever or die trying"—is not revealed until it's too late to recant. Carter wears her influences openly, with many passages reading like outtakes from Robin McKinley's Beauty by way of Neil Gaiman's Sandman. Nevertheless, the narrative is well executed, and Kate is a heroine better equipped than most to confront and cope with the inexplicable.
added by HarlequinBooks | editPublishers Weekly (Mar 7, 2011)

EVERY GIRL WHO HAS TAKEN THE TEST HAS DIED.

NOW IT’S KATE’S TURN.

It’s always been just Kate and her mom—and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate’s going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won’t live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld—and if she accepts his bargain, he’ll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he’s crazy—until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she’ll become Henry’s future bride, and a goddess.

IF SHE FAILS...

Eden, Michigan, high school student Kate Winters strikes a bargain with Henry, Greek god of the underworld, if he'll cure her dying mother of cancer. The bargain she strikes with him is a grim one, but the full enormity of what she has undertaken--"live forever or die trying"--is not revealed until it's too late to recant.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Goddess Test by was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,263,144 books! | Top bar: Always visible