Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick

Among Thieves

by Douglas Hulick

Series: Tales of the Kin (1)

Jhereg by Steven Brust (ow1goddess)
    ow1goddess: Some similarity in basic plot elements and the tone of the first-person narrator.
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (rebelaessedai, Melfice)
    Melfice: Each of these books delve into a world of thieves
    Storm Front by Jim Butcher (ow1goddess)

I hadn’t heard of either the author or the series when I stumbled across this book, but I just couldn’t resist the cover. It’s designed by Larry Rostant, an artist whose work is often informed by some form of historical costume, and which always catches my eye. A brief flick through the novel convinced me it was worth a punt. And it’s been such a delight to read. Full of spies, crime lords, twisted emperors and swashbucklers, it takes you deep into the seething heart of the city of Ildrecca: the kind of place you might come across Locke Lamora having a drink with Don Corleone, Captain Alatriste and Sam Vimes. Best described as historical urban fantasy, it’s a tale of deals and double-crossing, spiced with the smallest hint of magic, and it’s enormous fun...

For the full review, please see my blog:
https://theidlewoman.net/2017/07/10/among-thieves-douglas-hulick/ ( )
  TheIdleWoman | Oct 3, 2017 |
this certainly showed promise and more, an entertaining set of characters and the city of Ildrecca as the setting; and with hints of more to come, more story to unfurl.
Hovering between a 3 and a 4 star rating, it's not an entirely original or fresh look at the grimy underworld swords and sorcery genre, and Drothe was to close to Kvothe in name; but it was enjoyable and looking forward to more...

upgraded to 4 after re-read Oct 2014 ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
Read December 2015
  DavidPowell | Dec 13, 2015 |
Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick is a fun and fast adventure with a scoundrel named Drothe who is a bit too honorable for his profession, set in a rich fantasy world, and filled with delightful plot twists. As a fan of Lies of Locke Lamora, I definitely have a soft spot in my heart for all anti-heroes who spend their days thieving and scheming and Drothe is now my second favorite thief (no one can replace Locke, let’s be real here, hehe). If you also swoon at main characters who steal from the rich and are too clever for their own good, you have to check out Among Thieves!
Note: I received Among Thieves from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
This book has adult content.

4.5 Stars
Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick (Tales of the Kin #1)
Published by Roc on April 1st, 2011
Genres: Adult, Fantasy
Length: 414 pages
How I got my copy: Publisher

Drothe has been a member of the Kin for years, rubbing elbows with thieves and murderers in the employ of a crime lord while smuggling relics on the side. But when an ancient book falls into his hands, Drothe finds himself in possession of a relic capable of bringing down emperors-a relic everyone in the underworld would kill to obtain.

Strengths:
Among Thieves has a couple of major and awesome plot twists that are sure to delight. I was ridiculously impressed with one in particular given the fact that the narration is in first person. Drothe, you clever bastard! Given how much I love trying to figure out how things are going to play out, when I stop and have to excitedly tell my boyfriend about a plot twist, you know it’s good.
There are so many cool and intriguing things in the world of Among Thieves. The emperor has three reincarnations that cycle and have been for hundreds of years. The religion is based around Angels that are apparently the heirs of the dead gods. Then of course there is all the typical political scheming between groups both within the underworld and the nobility!
I love love love that there are several tough female secondary characters that show up in Among Thieves. This is a great example of how to accurately represent the sexes in a story: it isn’t a big deal that there is a woman leading a bodyguard organization or scheming in political matters, any of the women could have easily have been men and the story would have worked fine. However, the world and story are richer and more realistic for having those characters be female.
Even though Among Thieves is 400 pages, I read it in a couple of days. The writing is incredibly readable, the action scenes flow well, there is always another piece of intrigue to add stakes and tension before anything drags.

Weaknesses:
There is a fair amount of info-dumping at points when something about the world needs to be explained. I was actually mostly okay with those moments since I was intrigued about the history of the world, but it was a little clunky.
Despite those info-dumps, I feel like I don’t have enough knowledge about the world yet. I want more details about what is going on in the rest of the world, what is up with these Angels, how the nobility work, how the Emperor’s reincarnations work, etc. Obviously all of this can be answered in subsequent stories, but I wasn’t satisfied with how much we got in Among Thieves.
The ending wraps up rather nicely despite Drothe being a bit thick at times. I realize it’s a story, but when I have to raise my eyebrow at just how lucky some things end up, it’s a bit disappointing.

Summary:
As you can tell from my rating, I really freaking enjoyed Among Thieves. I was reading it on a roadtrip and at first thought it was a bad idea to have brought such a thick book along to read. However, I am so so thrilled that I did since it meant I could gobble up this story in two sittings! Among Thieves is one of those books that is just too much fun. While it isn’t quite as funny as Lies of Locke Lamora, I do definitely recommend Among Thieves for fans of Scott Lynch for the fun thieving and intriguing fantasy world aspects! ( )
  anyaejo | Aug 12, 2015 |
Yes, but Kindle.
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |

Douglas Hulickprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bury, FlorenceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jamie, who always believed, even when I didn't.
In memory of my father, Nicholas Hulick, who read to me and never said no when it came to getting another book. I miss you, Dad.
Athel the Grinner wasn't grinning.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451463900, Mass Market Paperback)

View our feature on Douglas Hulick's Among Thieves.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:22 -0400)

"Ildrecca is a dangerous city if you don't know what you're doing. It takes a canny hand and a wary eye to run these streets and survive. Fortunately, Drothe has both. He has been a member of the Kin for years, rubbing elbows with thieves and murderers from the dirtiest of alleys to the finest of neighborhoods. Working for a crime lord, he finds and takes care of trouble inside his boss's organization--while smuggling relics on the side. But when Drothe's boss orders him to track down whoever is leaning on his organization's people, he stumbles upon a much bigger mystery. There's a book, a relic any number of deadly people seem to be looking for--a book the just might bring down emperors and shatter the criminal underworld. A book now inconveniently in Drothe's hands..."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Douglas Hulick's book Among Thieves was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,413,149 books! | Top bar: Always visible