Predators, Prey, and Other Kinfolk : Growing…

Predators, Prey, and Other Kinfolk : Growing Up in Polygamy

by Dorothy Allred Solomon

I found this to be a very open and honest memoir. Now that does not mean that I believe that Solomon is giving the whole unpolished truth but I believe that to the best of her ability, she is telling the truth. Solomon talks about how hard it is to be honest about what her family is, was, will be, and even where they are going. She talks about how the first thing the children in the family learn to do is lie to outsiders. The world on the other side of the fence is evil and out to get you. She talks about how hard it was to learn that was not true. This is more than just one woman's memoir of growing up in polygamy but how her family started in polygamy. She traces her family from Europe to the America's on both sides. She gives records about her grandfathers and grandmothers. She also follows her siblings lives as much as she can. Solomon is an outsider to her life now. She is seen as the devil's seed and wants to lead others into hell. When she talks about that, I felt her sorrow that her family cannot understand her. If you are looking for an interesting memoir, give this one a try.

I give this book a Four out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I borrowed this book from my local library. ( )
  lrainey | May 25, 2016 |
This was another in my private series on people who lived at the same time as me but in very different situations. the author was a child in a polygamous family living outside the law in the southwest US. Not so well written but It is fascinating how people can live in such atypical cultures and not question why (of course this author did).
  ammurphy | Nov 10, 2009 |
I saw this on the discount table at the half price book store, and after reading the "Banner" book, thought I would try this. One woman's story of growing up as the child of a man with 7 wives. She has mixed feelings about her life - loving her father, but being forced to live as outlaws, seeing her various aunts contend with jealously, pain, poverty, so that the men in this particular fundamentalist Mormon cult could fulfill their own fantasies of being a member of the 'priesthood'. ( )
1 vote GeekGoddess | Nov 6, 2008 |
I read this after seeing her snippets in the Big Love backmatter. It's a heartbreaking read, fascinating and painful too the way that she still can't really bring herself to say much of anything really bad about her father even as she hints at some of his less savory activities. ( )
  claudiabowman | Aug 28, 2007 |
This book is dedicated to the children, shapers of the future, especially Denise, Layla, Jeff, and Laurie and their children
Originally published as Predators, Prey, and Other Kinfolk: Growing Up in Polygamy; later republished as Daughter of the Saints: Growing Up In Polygamy. Predators, Prey, and Other Kinfolk is a substantial rewriting of Solomon's earlier memoir, In My Father's House, which Solomon said in the prefatory matter to Predators, Prey, and Other Kinfolk, "no longer adequately (see more) represents me." It "chronicled my life as I perceived it until then."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0393049469, Hardcover)

The abduction of teenager Elizabeth Smart by a fundamentalist Mormon preacher placed a renewed focus on renegade offshoots of the Church of Latter Day Saints and the culture surrounding the religion in the state of Utah (which, like the church, formally opposes polygamous marriage, though state and religious leaders both seem well aware that the practice continues, and they often turn a blind eye toward it). Like Natalie R. Collins's 2003 novel SisterWife, Dorothy Allred Solomon's Predators, Prey, and Other Kinfolk couldn't seem more topical, but it is an even more powerful book because it has the weight of truth behind it. "I am the daughter of my father's fourth plural wife, twenty-eight of forty-eight children—a middle kid, you might say," her frank memoir begins, and Solomon (a freelance writer who now lives in a happily monogamous marriage in Park City, Utah) maintains a similarly gripping and poignant tone through the book. Her family's story is a fascinating one: Her father, the physician Rulon Allred, was also a fundamentalist preacher and a closet polygamist who went to great lengths to keep his plural marriages and sprawling family a secret from society at large. In 1977, he was shot to death by assassins from a rival fundamentalist sect, the bloody end to a misguided lifestyle that had already taken a severe emotional toll on many around him. His daughter does not hesitate to expose the violent and sexist behavior that permeates many of these cultish offshoots of the Mormon Church, but she does not reduce the believers to one-dimensional caricatures, either, and in the process of sharing a very personal tale, she often steps back to place it all in the much broader context of religion and society, charting the history of the Mormons and the contradictions between ideals and actions on the part of both church and state. --Jim DeRogatis

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:17 -0400)

""I am the daugher of my father's fourth plural wife, twenty-eighth of forty-eight children - a middle kid, you might say." So begins this memoir of life in the family of Utah fundamentalist leader and naturopathic physician Rulon C. Allred. Since polygamy was abolished by manifesto in 1890, this is a story of secrecy and lies, of poverty and imprisonment and government raids. When raids threatened, the families were forced to scatter from their pastoral compound in Salt Lake City to the deserts of Mexico or the wilds of Montana. To follow the Lord's plan as dictated by the Principle, the human cost was huge. Eventually murder in its cruelest form entered when members of a rival fundamantalist group assassinated the author's father." "Dorothy Solomon, monogamous herself, broke from the fundamentalist group because she yearned for equality and could not reconcile the laws of God (as practiced by polygamists) with the vastly different laws of the state. This poignant account chronciles her brave quest for personal identity."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,897,614 books! | Top bar: Always visible