Cursed Pirate Girl by Jeremy A. Bastian

Cursed Pirate Girl (edition 2012)

by Jeremy A. Bastian (Author), Jeremy A. Bastian (Illustrator)

Member:ElizaJane
Title:Cursed Pirate Girl
Authors:Jeremy A. Bastian (Author)
Other authors:Jeremy A. Bastian (Illustrator)
Info:Archaia Entertainment, LLC (2012), Hardcover, 152 pages
Collections:Review Copies, Ebook
Rating:**1/2
Tags:arc, ebook, netgalley, graphic novel, fantasy, pirates, read2012

Cursed Pirate Girl by Jeremy A. Bastian (Author)

The Unsinkable Walker Bean by Aaron Renier (ElizaJane)
    ElizaJane: pirate-themed, fantasy elements

Not my normal type of art, but it is GORGEOUS. So intricate. ( )
  scote23 | Dec 26, 2013 |
Cursed Pirate Girl is stunning. There is no artist today in comic books who can draw like Jeremy Bastian. When the first issue of this collection came out years ago, it immediately caught my eye. The detailed black & white line drawings are irresistible. The main character and the story line are at once unique and familiar. Cursed Pirate Girl has an aura about it, that of always having been trapped inside our heads, and Bastian has managed to conjure it like Michelangelo freed his sculptures from marble. I would roughly describe it as a more elaborate, weirder Alice in Wonderland on the high seas.

The plot: Cursed Pirate Girl is stranded on an island after having been abandoned by her father, but she does not remember him or know why he left her there. She befriends the daughter of the pompous, aristocratic governor the island and institutes a rebellious streak in the daughter that results in a humiliating interaction (for the governor) with a visiting dignitary. The governor sends an old pirate to kill the Cursed Pirate Girl, but instead, she escapes with her faithful parrot sidekick and heads off in search of her father whom she asserts is one of the greatest pirate captains sailing the Omerta Seas—mystical oceans teeming with bizarre creatures. Apparently, she has some mystical powers herself thanks to being the daughter of a true pirate captain, including the ability to breathe underwater and fearlessness. Adventure ensues.

Thematically, the story is straightforward. There is a sense of Robin Hood. A sense of the underdog as the hero, the rich and powerful as the victimizers. Pirates aren't necessarily good, but they are the counterbalance to the arrogance of the merchants and aristocrats. Pirates are not strictly idealized, although the heroine certainly is. Cursed Pirate Girl encounters sleazy, ugly, vicious pirates and noble ones as well. I also note a comfort with the strange. Strangeness as normal.

Cursed Pirate Girl is just so damn fun, so damn creative, and so damn beautiful that I urge you to pick it up. The hardback collected edition is wonderful to hold. The quality of the paper is impeccable with tactile deckled edges. There's even a few extra snippets of story and a four-page fold-out "Wanted Poster" of the Cursed Pirate Girl. When I met Jeremy at two different comic book conventions, I snapped up some limited edition prints he was offering. He's a laid back and very pleasant person. I suspect he's going to be a sought after fine artist for the rest of his life, but I hope he'll have time to continue this comic.

If you have any interest in graphic storytelling, if you have any interest in illustrative art, if you have any interest in black & white ink drawings, if you have any interest in adventure stories, if you have any interest in young female protagonists of heroic stature, if you have any interest in oddity and the surreal, if you like Alice in Wonderland, if you have any interest in any of these, then I urge you to get this book! You will not be disappointed.
  David_David_Katzman | Nov 26, 2013 |
Cursed Pirate Girl is a girl-oriented action adventure graphic novel about a girl who dreamed about becoming a real pirate and meeting with her dad, an Omerta Seas’s Pirate Captain. The book is divided by several individual issues of the Cursed Pirate Girl series. Unfortunately, the graphic novel is quite brief and its sort of disappointing since I do expect collections to consist of a greater number of issues. More. I want. More.

One of the amazing appeal of the graphic novel was the actual graphic and style. When I saw the first couple of pages from the book, I remembered Junji Ito’s chaotic etchings and Mashima Hiro’s humor and his attention to detail. It’s really surprising that you can actually see the intensity in a work. It does help with the comedic in the story which reminded me of Kumakura Yuichi in King of Bandits Jing. I do enjoy staring at each pages more than a couple of minutes like it’s a hidden object game and I get to have some goodies.

The storyline is intriguing too. The stories do consist of several POVs and somehow unreliable narrator. The characterization is unique and quite original to unconventional readers expecting something new. Some scenes reminded me of Miyazaki Hayao’s ethereal dreaminess in his movies while maintain absolute consistencies with the thematic plots.

The graphic novel was targeted for (Everyone) general audience but I do see the appeal of it in younger readers especially girls who love Elizabeth Swan in Pirates of the Caribbean and older readers who appreciate the swashbuckling storylines. Unfortunately, I would say more about the book if I had read the entire series to come up with a decent review but it’s definitely a comic series to look forward too.

Cursed Pirate Girl is an ARC supplied by Archaia via Netgalley. It will be published on 20th November 2012. For those who already enjoyed the individual issues, it a good collector book especially with the freebies at the end of the book which I enjoyed and I do know that original fans of the series would always look forward to. ( )
  aoibhealfae | Sep 23, 2013 |

aoibhealfae | Sep 23, 2013 |
A gorgeous hardcover graphic novel telling the story of the Cursed Pirate Girl and her search for her father - one of the five pirate captains that sail the Omerta sea. The only problem is, she doesn't know how to get there, or which pirate is her father.

Beautiful, elaborate, and imaginative black-and-white drawings here, but not much in the way of plot. Even for the first of a series, there is absolutely no resolution. There are several pages throughout and at the back with random illustrations and alternate cover drawings, but I could have done without those in exchange for more story. ( )
  norabelle414 | Sep 4, 2013 |

Bastian, Jeremy A.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bastian, Jeremy A.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Absinthe, JackCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morrissey, PaulEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Adventures on and under the high seas lead a cursed pirate girl to encounter mythic creatures, gnarled and crusty pirates, and ghostly apparitions as she tries to find her lost father, one of the dreaded Pirate Captains of the mythical Omerta Seas. Cursed Pirate Girl is a whimsical, swashbuckling tale of wonderland journeys and unimaginable dangers, starting in Port Elisabeth, Jamaica in the year 1728, and quickly heading across - and beneath - the waves!… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,227,894 books! | Top bar: Always visible