Ashes, Ashes by Jo Treggiari

Ashes, Ashes

by Jo Treggiari

Imagine if you will a city that is completely torn apart. Buildings are crumbled, highways decimated, and the population that is left is holding onto the hope that they'll be okay long enough to rebuild and just live. That is the picture that Jo Treggiari builds for the reader from the instant you open Ashes, Ashes. I was so blown away by the drive that all these characters had, just to survive from day to day. I tell you, books like this remind me why I should be so glad to have everything I do.

As the story begins, we meet "Lucky" Lucy and find out her back story. She has chosen to live alone, and rely on her own survival skills to get buy. I have to say that I fell in love with her instantly. Lucy isn't a character who is tough, strong, and somehow impenetrable despite the odds. She's also very human. The fact that I got to see her falter, see her second guess her choices, was amazing to me. It reminded me that she was just a person who, thrown into a very desperate situation, was doing the best that she could. Add in the fact that she's rather young, and you have a character that I can get behind 100%.

However it wasn't just Lucy who had me smitten with this book. All the characters who come onto the scene are different, interesting and have a depth that I couldn't get enough of. I don't want to ruin a minute of this amazing book for you, but Ashes, Ashes is populated with some of the most believable characters I've met in a long time. Following them in their daily work, watching them band together to protect one another and survive. It was kind of tough, I'll admit, but also amazingly rewarding. Jo Treggiari shows us the deepest depths of the human spirit, and I can't say enough how much I appreciated that.

Lest I gush about characters for days, and I could, I'll move on to the plot. The story line in this book moves quickly, but never too fast that I was left behind. There are portions that might seem a little description heavy, but I understood quickly that these were there to show me the daily monotony that these survivors faced. Jo Treggiari writes so descriptively, in fact, that if I closed my eyes I could almost see myself working right beside them, amongst the rubble and desolate landscape. Even imaging it now sends shivers up my spine. Well-written is a bit of an understatement, but not even I am sure how to aptly describe what you'll find between these pages. There is a deeper plot hidden in here as well, but I won't divulge what it is.You'll have to see for yourself. Suffice it say that Lucy is very important in this book, and it was fascinating watching it all unfold.

It boils down to this. I am a huge fan of dystopian fiction. To me, the two most important things in books like Ashes, Ashes are the setting and the characters. Treggiari not only successfully showed me both of these, but essentially hit them out of the park. I was in love with every minute of this book while I read it, and I'm holding on to my copy so I can read it again. Ashes, Ashes will be a book that is now added to my pile of dog-eared, constantly read, and well-loved books. I cannot recommend this title enough.
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
Truth be told I am being very generous and rounding up to a three star. If I were to review this as an audiobook I'd give it a 1 but the story is not horrible. But because I also had a library copy of it I was able to skim the parts that I fast forwarded.

Lucy has been living without other people for about six months. She's made her shelter, rigged a few snares, gathered her own supplies and survived well all on her own. Then she finds herself running for her life away from feral wild dogs that have caught on to her scent. Lucy has nowhere to hide until she literally gets a helping hand from a blond haired boy with green eyes high up in the trees. This guy named Aiden helps her escape and she's contemplating what to do until the time comes to return the favor.

I've heard of this story before I read it but for some reason never picked up the book. It was like reading the beginning of The Hatchet with the plot of The Scorch Trials and a smidge from the Death Cure from James Dashner though it was recommended to me because it resembled *Life As We Knew It but personally I didn't see much resemblance other than the whole natural disasters destroying the states. Treggiari is very wordy and descriptive which I really liked at first but after the third chapter with too much exposing and not enough moving made me want to skip ahead but I forced myself not too. All was going well until the romance got in and truthfully I'm getting really tired of books in the post-apocalyptic nature going down the drain once romance is involved...so in that aspect I guess it does resemble the *Last Survivors series. I was expecting thrills and adventure but got catty underhanded comments and longing stares. But because it started off strong I'd say it's overall the story is just okay. ( )
  Jessika.C | Dec 22, 2017 |
I thought Lucy was a brave young girl. Sure, she made stupid decisions sometimes, but haven't we all?

Review to come. I promise ;-) ( )
  taranator | Jul 11, 2017 |
The book Ashes, Ashes by Jo Treggiari is a very interesting and compelling book. In this book, there is drama, love, and action. This great book starts off with the world at the end, thousands of millions people dead, and only a few that have survived. First, came the natural disasters. Floods rampaged through the land, causing a countless number of deaths, then, the quakes. The quakes came in fast, but ended quickly, with many casualties along the way. And then, the most deadly and worst of them all, the Plague. There were many survivors after the natural disasters, but this totally wiped them out. This disease was deadly, and doctors had no idea how to stop or control it. After the first wave of the plague swept through, the world’s population dropped to nearly below 5%. There were very very few survivors, and one of them included a teenage girl named Lucy, and she was alone. She’s been living alone a long time, but the floods were coming, and she had to get out. She ran and ran, and found a camp with many survivors, including a boy named Aidan. She was one of the oldest there, and did many chores to help out the camp. Then, the sweepers came. They would come, men in suits, and just take kids and friends from them, pluck them out, and bring them to the Hospital. No one ever knew what happened with them, but something not right. If you want to hear the rest, read this book!! ( )
  Zaru14 | Oct 22, 2014 |
Loved it. ( )
  BookLoversLife | Apr 24, 2014 |

A thrilling tale of adventure, romance, and one girl's unyielding courage through the darkest of nightmares.

Epidemics, floods, droughts--for sixteen-year-old Lucy, the end of the world came and went, taking 99% of the population with it. As the weather continues to rage out of control, and Sweepers clean the streets of plague victims, Lucy survives alone in the wilds of Central Park. But when she's rescued from a pack of hunting dogs by a mysterious boy named Aidan, she reluctantly realizes she can't continue on her own. She joins his band of survivors, yet a new danger awaits her: the Sweepers are looking for her. There's something special about Lucy, and they will stop at nothing to have her.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:51 -0400)

In a future Manhattan devastated by environmental catastrophes and epidemics, sixteen-year-old Lucy survives alone until vicious hounds target her and force her to join Aidan and his band, but soon they learn that she is the target of Sweepers, who kidnap and infect people with plague.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,813,614 books! | Top bar: Always visible