Noble Satyr: A Georgian Historical Romance…

Noble Satyr: A Georgian Historical Romance (edition 2012)

by Lucinda Brant

Member:FionaRobynIngram
Title:Noble Satyr: A Georgian Historical Romance
Authors:Lucinda Brant
Info:Sprigleaf (2012), Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:eighteenth century, georgian romance, historical romance, roxton series, lucinda brant

Noble Satyr by Lucinda Brant

Audiobook Review -- Joint Review by Carol Cork and Eileen Dandashi

Eileen: You certainly read lots of books in the genre I enjoy, and with your reviews, I’ve found when I read them, you are spot on! Since we’re here today talking about an audiobook we’ve both listened to, why not let you start the ball rolling? We’re both revved up about this book/listen. What do you like most about the book?

Carol: Firstly, thank you for being so complimentary about my reviews, Eileen. Now turning to our review of Noble Satyr. What do I like about the book? Well, I love the Georgian setting with all its elegance, opulence and decadence. I feel as though I am stepping back in time to a world of powdered wigs, panniers and sedan chairs. Lucinda Brant brings her characters to life on the page, even the secondary ones and she weaves an intelligent and intricately layered tale of scandal, intrigue and enduring love.

Eileen: I like how she begins the story. I feel as if I’ve stepped into the middle of such turmoil, intrigue and people, reacting to other events, it takes a while for me to get my bearings. The manner of speech sets it all up. I can just see those wigs and extravagant attire. The author paints a glorious description of how the men dress themselves, including the ridiculous heels they wear! And that lace! It left me chuckling with the image! Somehow I wonder how the men felt like, well, men for heaven sakes!

Carol: Oh yes, I could just picture those bewigged fops, with their lace handkerchiefs and quizzing glasses, prancing about in those heeled shoes!

Eileen: I put narrators in several different categories. (1) a narrator who utterly destroys the entertainment of a good book, (2) a narrator who isn’t all that exciting, nor does he give anything to a story, (3) a narrator who does marvelous things with a poor story, and keeps you listening, (4) a narrator who works well with an author’s ideas and ferrets out all the author wishes to evoke, (5) and lastly, there is the narrator who takes a compelling story, perfectly in sync with its contents, is entirely engaged and fairly shocks the socks right off you. Wouldn’t you say Mr. Wyndham fits into the fifth category?

Carol: It’s difficult for me to answer that one, Eileen. I’m a recent convert to audiobooks and Alex Wyndham is the only narrator I have listened to so far, but I have no hesitation in rating him a resounding (5). He is a superb narrator. Each character is pitched perfectly and instantly recognizable – male or female, old or young, noble or servant. I am totally amazed by his ability to consistently maintain such a wide range of characters’ voices throughout the book.

Eileen: I agree with you. The voice of Roxton, the duke is so full of ennui!

I enjoyed how Roxton changes through the story, and it’s all about love. I particularly delighted in the voice of Antonia – where Mr. Wyndham speaks English with a French accent (she speaks French most the time). I was totally enthralled with the characters and their personalities. They were so clear to envision. No doubt the narrator excelled in painting a vibrant story. It took place in full color! Carol, I agree. Alex Wyndham is one of the best I’ve heard.

Carol: I think Alex Wyndham portrays Roxton perfectly from his quietly spoken air of authority to the subtle softer tones as he falls in love with Antonia. He also conveys Antonia’s naïve exuberance for life so well and her French accent is delightful.

Eileen: I found I was drawn to several of the characters, some who play unpleasant roles, some who add humor, lightening the seriousness. And I really liked the intrigue between the characters. This is so much more than a love story; it’s a story of culture, political events and the plight of those who must live in the tempest. Not all is made clear at the beginning of the story, which keeps me listening and questioning. There are a lot of characters to sort through, creating a story fabric of varied textures. I actually listened to the audio in .75 speed. Certainly this book will deserve another listen, particularly to enjoy the thoroughly satisfying satire of the lifestyle of that period.

Carol: Yes, there is an interesting cast of secondary characters including the boisterous Lord Vallentine, Roxton’s brother-in-law, who supplies many humorous moments; the lecherous Comte de Salvan and his drug-addled son, each plotting and scheming to get Antonia into their clutches for their own nefarious reasons; Antonia’s grandmother, the Countess of Strathsay, jealous of her granddaughter’s youth and beauty.

I thought the romance between Roxton and Antonia was so well-written. The pairing of the dissolute Roxton with the much younger, innocent Antonia could have been the recipe for disaster but Ms Brant pulls it off brilliantly. Antonia may be young and virginal but, having lived in the licentious court of Louis XV, she is certainly not naïve in the ways of the world and has no illusions about Roxton. Bored with the world of excess around him, it is easy to see why Roxton would be enchanted by Antonia’s intelligence, openness and spirited nature. What are your thoughts on the romance, Eileen?

Eileen: This particular romance hit quite close to home. Although we know that Roxton was close to 40 and Antonia had just reached 20, the love AND romance which grew between the two changed each dramatically when a deep, enriching relationship evolved, not easily understood by couples of similar age.

My husband is 22 years older than I am. In fact, I was 20 when I first married. A man of the duke’s age can be very virile and quite alluring to a young woman. At the same time, society tends to frown on such a match. Yes, people thought my husband was my father, just as in the story, so the writer was very accurate in her depiction of how society reacts.

I’ve got to say this particular read, Noble Satyr, will certainly remain on my shelf as a keeper. And it’s book one of this series, so I’ve more enjoyment coming. In fact, I’ve continued the listen of the series; it is amazing.

Carol: Definitely a keeper, Eileen, as are Midnight Marriage and Autumn Duchess, the others I’ve listened to in this series.

Eileen: It was a pleasure discussing this book with you. Thanks for sharing!

Carol: Eileen, I’ve really enjoyed putting our heads together for this joint review and I hope we can do it again. ( )
  Eileen.Dandashi | Apr 15, 2016 |
Boring! I think the writing style and the language just turned me off. I wasn't impressed by the main characters of the book either. I don't plan to try any more of Ms. Brant's books. In fact, I didn't even bother finishing this one! ( )
  caslater83 | Jul 24, 2015 |
It is the golden age of French aristocratic life, the glittering court of Louis XV. Beneath the posturing and hedonism lies a seething hotbed of intrigue, deceit, and treachery. Sex, lies, and politics go hand in hand, and courting royal patronage is the ultimate prize. Into this licentious arena comes Antonia Moran, an innocent young woman, whose lack of protection makes her a prime target for the dissolute Comte de Salvan. He eyes this particular prize as a wife for his son, whom some say is mad. The Comte’s failing fortunes need a financial boost, and Antonia comes with an inheritance from her ailing grandfather. Anxious to see his granddaughter safely wed, the old man agrees to this unsuitable match. Moreover, unsuitable it is, since the Comte has designs on both Antonia’s impending fortune and her virtue.

Antonia may be innocent but she is not stupid. She cleverly allies herself with the Duke of Roxton, the ‘noble satyr’ of the title, whose tastes do not run to young girls. Roxton has no time for Antonia until the Comte forces his hand by attempting a violent abduction. To save Antonia, Roxton must take her to England, to the safety of his home. He is much older but she does not care. Her unabashed expressions of love for him slowly melt his icy demeanour. The inevitable happens, and it is not without consequences. The Comte, who nurses an old grudge against Roxton, will not give up and pursues his plan to the end. Can Antonia and Roxton’s love survive? And will it ultimately endure in the face of royal censure?

Anyone familiar with Lucinda Brant’s Georgian novels will relish this book. Brant has the ability to transport the reader back in time, to a bygone era, without swamping the story with facts. The characters live and breathe the atmosphere of the time; they are captivating, from the primary players, right down to the smaller, but no less important characters. Ultimately, this is an enchanting and powerful love story between two people, Antonia and Roxton, who have all the odds stacked against them. I thoroughly enjoyed the unfolding of this passionate romance, with added action and adventure, derring-do, and some narrow escapes! For readers who like intricate detail there is a wealth of carefully chosen gems to enhance the picture. Everything the author describes enhances the reader’s enjoyment of a truly historical romance. I loved it. This is a wonderful read for romance and historical fiction fans. Well-crafted plot, historical accuracy, and believable characters make this a book to enjoy. This is the first book in the Roxton series. Highly recommended.
First reviewed for Readers Favorite ( )
  FionaRobynIngram | Jan 16, 2013 |
First and foremost, I must take into account that I have read the 3rd book in this Roxton Series..so I felt more inclined in it…than this one..which is the first in the series…

I have imagined and loved Jonathon and Antonia together…so it’s quite hard for me to read Antonia with another man, her first husband the Duke of Roxton..:D…but I still love the story…

As always the story is unique and unforgettable.. Antonia is just eighteen while Roxton is in his late 40’s…but love defiles everything…

I enjoyed Antonia’s impulsiveness and the duke’s aloofness and attitude… It’s a wonderful story that started impossibly…. In every twist in their situation…there’s always a solution or an unexpected answer…

I especially enjoyed how the good-humored, frankness, outrageousness of Antonia, slowly but surely changed the Duke’s stone heart into a warm puddle… I also imagined the duke as a cute man especially when he resisted laughing and tried to regain his composure in front of Antonia… I also love and cherished all the supporting characters.. It’s like they were meant to be there, helping and ruining the main ones…

I love the ending I think it’s perfect and the things are sorted out… I felt the love, anger, mercy and laughter in this wonderful story! Although I hadn’t cried like in the “Autumn Duchess”, I felt the anger and fear of Antonia from the controlling and disgusting hands of the Comte and his son.

Another thing I’m grateful for this book is it explained the sorrow and grief of Antonia in the 3rd book… I guess if I had read this one first..i might get angry with Jonathon…:)

Ms. Lucinda Brant is a certified Historical Romance Writer if ever there’s a job like that..:D

I think I thoroughly believe now that “Age doesn’t really matter”…
To all romance and historical lovers..What are you waiting for..? Grab these books now and fall in love like the first time..:) ( )
  avry15 | Dec 9, 2011 |
Thoroughly enjoyed this book as well as its followups - Midnight Marriage and Autumns Duchess. If you like following a family of characters, romance and historical elements you are in for a treat. Great book! ( )
  bookwurm84 | Nov 14, 2011 |
for BJB
The Comte de Salvan stood at the end of the canopied bed in red high heels and pacified his offended nostrils with a lace handkerchief scented with bergamot.

Ebook Description
Winner of the $10,000 Woman’s Day/Random House Romantic Fiction Prize. 1740s Paris and London. Antonia is pursued by the lascivious Comte de Salvan who plans to wed her to his drug-addicted son then make Antonia his mistress. When the libertine Duke of Roxton snatches Antonia from Salvan’s clutches, she believes herself rescued. But has Antonia merely swapped one seducer for another?

Lucinda Brant is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,308,505 books! | Top bar: Always visible