Salt Bride: A Georgian Historical Romance…

Salt Bride: A Georgian Historical Romance (Salt Hendon) (Volume 1) (edition 2017)

by Lucinda Brant (Author)

Member:Nancy.Anne
Title:Salt Bride: A Georgian Historical Romance (Salt Hendon) (Volume 1)
Authors:Lucinda Brant (Author)
Info:Sprigleaf (2017), Edition: 2017, 360 pages

Salt Bride: A Georgian Historical Romance by Lucinda Brant

5 "Reneged Betrothal?" Stars for the story and 5 narration stars for Alex Wyndham's narration!

Containing a romance based on the misunderstanding trope, along with a suspense twist that includes a scheming, jealous relative with plans to marry the hero herself, Lucinda Brant delivers a compelling and addictive listen in the Salt Bride: A Georgian Historical Romance. This intriguing listen left me with no choice but to binge listen to this 12+ hour romance until the satisfying end even bypassing sleep to do so! Moreover, the soothing and sexy baritone voice of Alex Wyndham make this romance a fantastic choice to experience in audio format.

One night of premature, overzealous passion, and the perfect storm of ill-timed events, lead to both the happiest night and yet the most unfortunate series of events. Set in England in the 18th Century, these events eventually lead Jane Despard, a squire's daughter, to force the Earl of Salt Hendon to marry her--even if she will still be shunned by society for her sullied past. The fact that the Earl of Salt Hendon still has his own memories of that night (ones that he frequently revisits) is of little solace when he believes that Jane committed the biggest sin of all. But Salt is a man of his word and he will honor his deathbed promise to Jane's father unless he can convince Jane to release him of the obligation--a promise that he will thoroughly attempt to dissuade her from. What he doesn't know is that Jane is equally determined to go through with the marriage no matter what the consequence due to her own personal reasons.

Further complicating matters is Diana St. John, the widow of Salt's cousin and the mother of his two godchildren. Over the years, Diana has been aspiring and calculating how to further Salt's political career. Moreover, she has been effectively functioning as the Countess of Salt Hendon (in every way except for the bedroom) and fully expects to assume that role officially as soon as her scheming finally lands her the ultimate prize. Can there possibly be a HEA for Jane and Salt under the circumstances?

Alex Wyndham has become one of my favorite historical romance narrators, and his performance in Salt Bride is every bit the narration perfection that I have come to expect and enjoy from Mr. Wyndham. From his aristocratic, commanding Earl of Salt Hendon voice to Jane's sweet and loyal softer more feminine sounding voice, Mr. Wyndham is able to create spot on voices for all characters across genders. Mr. Wyndham also excels at delivering both the narratives and dialogues at just the right speed and with the appropriate pauses to make listening to this story seamless for the listener.

One plot point that I particularly enjoyed is that although this romance is based on the misunderstanding trope, the animosity between the main couple is expertly managed by Ms. Brant, so that by the time that the romance flourishes it is completely believable and heart-stirring. Additionally, I loved how Ms. Brant slowly introduces us to a whole cast of interesting secondary characters, who help round out and deepen the complexity of this story, including the couple who will no doubt be featured in book 2 of this series, Salt Redux: Lady Caroline (Salt's younger sister) and Sir Anthony (Diana's brother and Salt's brother-in-law).

All in all, the Salt Bride is a romance audiobook that historical romance lovers will not want to miss!

Source: Review copy provided for review purposes.
  B.J.O. | Dec 20, 2016 |
Being an modern American gave me the distinct disadvantage in believing I was about to read a novel that takes place in Georgia, in the 1700's. Of course, once I realized the main character wasn't being shipped off to the Americas, I realized my mistake, and from then on fell in love with Brant's story. Intrigue, deception, love, lust, triumph and despair are in ample amounts here. And she uses just as many adjectives as I used, only not altogether and much better. Perhaps the most refreshing aspect of Brant's work is the language. I fell in love with the speech of the times. Unlike some novels/movies that pretend to know how people spoke back then, Brant's obviously done her research. I would read more from this author and recommend "Salt Bride" to anyone who's an old fashioned romantic at heart. ( )
  JSilverwood | Aug 27, 2016 |
I read this one yesterday on the Kindle and I really enjoyed it, but now that I'm thinking about the plot and how to describe it, I realize that's it's just full of holes. All kinds of things don't get explained about why the characters act the way the did. Jane and the Earl were lovers, but Misunderstandings drove them apart, and now they are forced together again. Will they make it work this time? Well, of course. But despite being totally predictable, it was still fun. And obviously it didn't keep me from enjoying the book, but really, all these peripheral characters and their motives and relationships were confusing. I had no trouble keeping up with the main characters, but these others were not well explained.

Also very annoying was the huge long previews of Brant's other books at the end. Only 80% of the file was our story - the rest was about her other books. That's a bit much. Still, 3 stars. ( )
  cmbohn | May 29, 2012 |
Another Georgian era winner from Lucinda Brant!I greatly enjoyed this sometimes heart-wrenching story of thwarted lovers. I admire Ms. Brant's ability to vividly paint the world of the Georgian era nobility and to give her readers a very true yet human sense of aristocratic characters and her clear delineation of their public from their private personas. I found the story and characters deeply engaging and look forward to reading more from this author. ( )
  EmeryLee | Apr 2, 2012 |
I enjoyed this book very much! It provided a story that kept me interested and characters that I liked. Great book Ms. Brant! ( )
  bookwurm84 | Nov 14, 2011 |
For Andrea and Cathy
 The girl in the narrow wooden bed was in agony.

1763 England: When the Earl of Salt Hendon marries squire's daughter Jane Despard, Society is aghast. Forced by circumstance into a marriage neither wants, the newlyweds must overcome a secret past of heartache and misery to fall in love all over again. Meanwhile, a sinister family opposition will go to any lengths, even murder, to tear the marriage asunder.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Lucinda Brant's book Salt Bride: A Georgian Historical Romance was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Lucinda Brant is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,254,250 books! | Top bar: Always visible