English Tea Murder by Leslie Meier

English Tea Murder

by Leslie Meier

A quick and easy read with the murderous culprit a bit predictable. None the less, it was very entertaining. Revisiting the sights and sounds of London and its surrounding through the characters' impressions and observations was a delight and makes one want to book that flight and immediately head for the V&A Museum (preferably leaving the tourgroup behind). This book is sixteenth in the Lucy Stone series and no doubt - the others would be equally delightful.

Synopsis:
Lucy Stone is saying cheerio to Tinker’s Cove and jetting off to jolly old England! But when things get dodgy, it appears murder may have followed her across the Atlantic...

Between a busy family and her duties as a reporter for the Pennysaver, Lucy could use a break. So when her friend Pam tells her about a trip to England sponsored by Winchester College, she jumps at the chance for a girls getaway. But when tour leader Professor George Temple dies mid-flight after suffering an asthma attack, Lucy’s glad she packed her sleuthing skills...

In London, Lucy and her pals try to forget their harrowing journey across the pond by indulging in some retail therapy and searching for the perfect afternoon tea, from the Tower of London to the shores of Brighton. Professor Quentin Rea, a ladies’ man and former flirt of Lucy’s, arrives to take over the tour, and she finds that while his hairline may have receded, his amorous intentions have not. She also begins to notice the peculiar behavior of other members of the tour group. And when she discovers that all of them have pasts connected to Professor Temple, she suspects that his death was an elaborate act of revenge.

The truth is as elusive as the perfect cup of tea, and it seems that anyone-or everyone-could be the culprit. But when another tour member dies Lucy is suddenly ensnared in a daring scheme that could lead her to a mastermind of murder-or make her the next victim... ( )
  KateBaxter | Jan 25, 2015 |
English Tea Murder is the kind of book that divides opinion. It's also an easy book to read and also to write. Despite the tired trick of the author to make us believe what's happening and despite the lack of tension in the book, I don't consider the latter a guilty pleasure. I give scores to books that I read based on how often my brain is inundated with niceness, comfort, anticipation, adventure, escapism, and its bitter enemy/double agent: realism.

I thought not many of the questions were fully answered. The whole stuff about Caroline's mishap was hardly addressed, unless the whole explanation was summed up in one phrase and I missed it. This book is not perfect and there was never a point where I went, yeah, five stars. Instead I believe, the book came from behind to get its 4 stars out of the blue. If only other books in the series shared similar characteristics. A couple of my favorite characters, Bill and Zoe, got simply some mentions, and they never appeared, even when Lucy had been back in her home town for two bloody months! But I admit Leslie Meier wanted to try different strokes. She maybe got fed up coming up with new, unlikely interactions among the Stone family. A word about the last victim in the book. It was her fate that sealed the high score for the book. All things considered, this book was enjoyable, especially compared to the books that I had to ditch this week. I enjoyed reading this, so I consider this mission, accomplished. ( )
  Jiraiya | Jan 18, 2015 |
Lucy Stone, Sue and Pam have just returned from a trip. They traveled from the United States to England. I enjoyed reading about England in Leslie Meier's English Tea Murder cozy. Lucy Stone and her group are traveling along with another group. One of the men has a serious case of Asthma. One man, Dr. Cope, is a Medical doctor. There are two or three college students. One young man's mother is along for the trip and a few other people. I enjoyed their travels around England because Leslie Meier writes about the foods, the historical sites and the hotels in such a realistic way. Believe me, the author doesn't romanticize England like I might have wished. Some places are described as old due to Europe's age and also the blasting of bombs during the Blitz.

Who gets murdered and the motivation for murdering that person is very interesting. Since there are two murders unless I can't count, I don't see why Leslie Meier didn't use the title "English Tea Murders" instead of English Tea Murder. What am I missing? I hope it wasn't her idea for a red herring spoiled by me.

Although, as I wrote, the murders and motives are interesting, the cozy seemed more like a fictional travelogue. I feel the bulk of the pages are about scones, tea, Devonshire Cream, Stonehenge, the Abbey, the Tower, etc. Perhaps, the author had taken a trip and wanted to write about it. Anyway, the murders take a back seat in the airplane while she wrote about Harrods.

Since I like travel, it didn't bother me. If you want more murder than tourist attractions, this book might be disappointing. I've read a couple of Leslie Meier's long list of cozies. I happen to love Lucy Stone. So I ended up a happy camper. http://www.lesliemeierbooks.com/ ( )
  Tea58 | Jun 22, 2014 |
Lucy Stone and some of her friends join a tour group from Winchester College to England. While still in the air, the tour leader dies of an allergic reaction. A doctor on board the plane who is a member of the group is unable to save the man in time. Lucy and her friends begin to notice some strange things. One member of the group attempts suicide; Lucy's friend Pam is barely spared when pushed in front of traffic. Could the members of the group be involved in a conspiracy? If so, what possible reason could they have had to murder a well-beloved professor? The mystery element in this book is fairly light. The book is mostly an account of a visit to England with a few misadventures along the way. While I enjoyed the sights and sounds of England, I was a bit disappointed that there was not a more clear-cut murder in this one. ( )
  thornton37814 | Mar 24, 2013 |
This book was OK but not the best in the Lucy Stone series. Lucy has joined a tour group going to England. On the plane, the tour leader has an asthma attack and dies suddenly. The group lands in England and waits for the new tour leader to arrive. Lucy's investigative instincts see more than a medical reason for his death. This is a good read but it drags a bit in places and took longer to read than some of the other books in this series. ( )
  Anntstobbs | Feb 26, 2012 |

While on a girls getaway to London, Lucy Stone investigates the murder of their tour guide, Professor George Temple, who died mid-flight after suffering a supposed asthma attack.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,167,895 books! | Top bar: Always visible