English Tea Murder by Leslie Meier

English Tea Murder

by Leslie Meier

Lucy Stone, Sue and Pam have just returned from a trip. They traveled from the United States to England. I enjoyed reading about England in Leslie Meier's English Tea Murder cozy. Lucy Stone and her group are traveling along with another group. One of the men has a serious case of Asthma. One man, Dr. Cope, is a Medical doctor. There are two or three college students. One young man's mother is along for the trip and a few other people. I enjoyed their travels around England because Leslie Meier writes about the foods, the historical sites and the hotels in such a realistic way. Believe me, the author doesn't romanticize England like I might have wished. Some places are described as old due to Europe's age and also the blasting of bombs during the Blitz.

Who gets murdered and the motivation for murdering that person is very interesting. Since there are two murders unless I can't count, I don't see why Leslie Meier didn't use the title "English Tea Murders" instead of English Tea Murder. What am I missing? I hope it wasn't her idea for a red herring spoiled by me.

Although, as I wrote, the murders and motives are interesting, the cozy seemed more like a fictional travelogue. I feel the bulk of the pages are about scones, tea, Devonshire Cream, Stonehenge, the Abbey, the Tower, etc. Perhaps, the author had taken a trip and wanted to write about it. Anyway, the murders take a back seat in the airplane while she wrote about Harrods.

Since I like travel, it didn't bother me. If you want more murder than tourist attractions, this book might be disappointing. I've read a couple of Leslie Meier's long list of cozies. I happen to love Lucy Stone. So I ended up a happy camper. http://www.lesliemeierbooks.com/ ( )
  Tea58 | Jun 22, 2014 |
Lucy Stone and some of her friends join a tour group from Winchester College to England. While still in the air, the tour leader dies of an allergic reaction. A doctor on board the plane who is a member of the group is unable to save the man in time. Lucy and her friends begin to notice some strange things. One member of the group attempts suicide; Lucy's friend Pam is barely spared when pushed in front of traffic. Could the members of the group be involved in a conspiracy? If so, what possible reason could they have had to murder a well-beloved professor? The mystery element in this book is fairly light. The book is mostly an account of a visit to England with a few misadventures along the way. While I enjoyed the sights and sounds of England, I was a bit disappointed that there was not a more clear-cut murder in this one. ( )
  thornton37814 | Mar 24, 2013 |
This book was OK but not the best in the Lucy Stone series. Lucy has joined a tour group going to England. On the plane, the tour leader has an asthma attack and dies suddenly. The group lands in England and waits for the new tour leader to arrive. Lucy's investigative instincts see more than a medical reason for his death. This is a good read but it drags a bit in places and took longer to read than some of the other books in this series. ( )
  Anntstobbs | Feb 26, 2012 |
Reviewed by Lisa
Book was a GoodReads contest win

The book begins with Lucy Stone and her friends jetting off to England on a trip sponsored by Winchester College. While in flight, tour leader Professor George Temple experiences an asthma attack. Dr. Cope, who is also with the tour group, attempts to save Professor Temple but cannot. Although, upset about the Professor’s death, Lucy and her friends decide to continue their tour of England.

Professor Quentin Rea arrives within a few days to take Professor Temple’s place as the new leader. Lucy and her friends tour the country looking for gifts to bring home and the perfect afternoon tea. While on one of these excursions, she begins to notice the other tour members acting strangely. They appear to have no sympathy for the passing of Professor Temple. Throw in helicopter parents, a randy Professor Rea, difficult young college students, a few “accidents” and you have a darn good mystery.

This is the 17th book in the Lucy Stone Mysteries series. I have to admit that prior to this book I had not read any of the Lucy Stone books. That is about to change because I love the character of Lucy Stone and Ms. Meier’s writing style. The characters were quirky and interesting especially Professor Rea. I enjoyed the dynamic between Lucy, Sue, Rachael and Pam.

English Tea Murder reminded me of an Agatha Christie style book with all of the red herrings. The best part was that I could not figure out what happened to Professor Temple and who did it until the end. I enjoyed the setting being in England and loved that British history was incorporated into the book. It was like traveling to England with Lucy and her friends except that I did not get to enjoy afternoon tea. This is a great read and I look forward to reading the other Lucy Stone Mysteries. ( )
  RtB | Jan 7, 2012 |
I liked the story and enjoyed the details about England. The story kept me guessing about the identity and motivation of the killer(s). ( )
  psychdoc66 | Oct 24, 2011 |

While on a girls getaway to London, Lucy Stone investigates the murder of their tour guide, Professor George Temple, who died mid-flight after suffering a supposed asthma attack.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,710,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible