Hugs and Kisses by Christophe Loupy

Hugs and Kisses

by Christophe Loupy, Eve Tharlet (Illustrator)

Genre: Fantasy (fiction)
Why it fits this genre:
-talking animals

I would use this book to:
-teach student about characterization
-teach students how to compare this book to another book with repetition such as "Move over, Rover".

Summary: A dog named Hugs ask the farm animals to give him a kiss. At the end, Hugs learns that they best kiss is his mothers.

Media: watercolor ( )
  DaliaL. | Feb 17, 2016 |
I liked this story about the puppy named Hugs. I really enjoyed the illustrations because it helped enhance the story. Hugs smiled every time a new animal kissed him and that showed a good representation of how the kiss made him feel. I also thought the writing was good in the story because there was dialogue. The descriptive dialogue helps engage readers into the story. The big idea of this story is that a mother’s kiss is the best kiss. ( )
  lpicke2 | Feb 12, 2014 |
Genre: Fantasy
Genre Critique: This book is a good example of fantasy through the use of personified animals (talking puppy conversing with farm animals). The author uses a farm and believable landscaping for the background to this story, where the plot is created in a way that is believable amidst its fictitious nature.
Characterization Critique: The little puppy is a dynamic character and protagonist of the story. He starts off on a quest trying to find the answer to his question and comes to a heartfelt conclusion as he changes over time.
Review/Critique: I thought it was a cute book with a sweet plot to it. It may not be my number one choice for a classroom, but I would read it to my children in the future maybe.
  MkM | Mar 11, 2013 |
Hugs the puppy sets out early one morning on a quest. He asks a variety of animal friends to give him a kiss. He discovers that even though the kisses he received were nice, none were as wonderful as the kiss from his mother.

This is one of the first books I ever purchased for my daughter, and one of my favorites. It reminds us of how special the bond between parent and child is. It also reminds us that a simple thing such as a kiss, is even better when shared with someone you love.

My first activity would be to have the students pick a place they would like to go. It could be anywhere in the world. Then they would have to list 5 interesting facts about that area. This would work well with older students.

For younger students I would have them pick an animal they would like to ask a question and what that question would be. Then as a class we could discuss what the answer might be.
  malissiaharrison | Feb 7, 2010 |
Hugs and Kisses is such a sweet book. This book is about a litle puppy names Hugs. He gets up early one day and decides to wonder outside. He goes to all these different animals asking them for kisses in different places, like his cheek and forehead. At the end he finds out that the best kiss is from his mom! This book is precious and a great read! This book is on a 3rd grade level but many students would enjoy this book! I loved it! The pictures are wonderful too!!
  Aecape | Oct 20, 2009 |

Christophe Loupyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Tharlet, EveIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
One morning, Hugs the puppy woke up early.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0735819726, Paperback)

An irresistibly appealing puppy named Hugs sets out one morning on a quest. He asks every animal he meets for a kiss, and they are all happy to oblige. The pup discovers that duck's kisses are hard and wet; a horse's kiss is a little sticky, but very warm; the pig's kiss is a little muddy and bristly, tickley but tender. He collects lots of wonderful kisses, but when he returns home, he discovers that the best kiss of all is the one he gets from his loving mother.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:07 -0400)

Hugs the puppy sets out to collect lots of wonderful kisses from his animal friends, but in the end he discovers that the best kiss of all is the one he gets from his loving mother.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,606,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible