Blood Red Road (Dustlands, Book 1) by Moira…

Blood Red Road (Dustlands, Book 1) (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Moira Young

Member:veg-chick
Title:Blood Red Road (Dustlands, Book 1)
Authors:Moira Young
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 480 pages
Tags:science fiction, dystopia, environment, families, survival, suspense, love, twins, adventure

Blood Red Road by Moira Young (2011)

English (143)  Indonesian (1)  All languages (144)
“Did you know, he says, every time you make somethin, any time you make anythin, a little bit of yer spirit goes into it?” ― Moira Young, Blood Red Road

Book Title: Blood Red Road
Author: Moira Young
Narration: Heather Lind
Series: Dust Lands #1

❖❖Why I picked that quote: Saba's got a lot of spirit, and so does Jack, and Emmi, Tommo and even Ike. Seriously, they all do...the character's in this book really shine, and I think they stole my heart away.❖❖

My Rating :

Plot: 5/5 There is always something going on. It was sort of long, but it never felt that way.
Characters: 5/5 They are so multi-layered.
Theme: 5/5
Flow: 4/5 This book is written in a unique way that not everyone would like.
Originality: 4/5 Very Mad Max feel to this. It has land boats...
Book Cover: 4/5 I find it confusing that the Series name is bigger than the title of the book.
The Feels: 5/5
Narration: 5/5 She has so many crazy voices she can do. She is one the best I've heard.
Ending: 4.7/5 Cliffhanger: No, not exactly, but this has two more books in the series.

Overall Rating : 4.7/5

Will I continue the series: Yes! I just have to get my library to get the audio versions of them.

My Thoughts :

I decided, because of other reviews I read pertaining to this book, that I wanted to listen to this on Audio. In hopes that the unique writing style would not deter me from enjoying this book. It worked...I loved it.

It's funny, even reading through the quotes on goodreads, it just wasn't the same as listening to it. If your on the fence about reading this, try it on Audio.

Saba is one of the most interesting characters I have read in a dystopian, she's not perfect and she knows it, she's more like a work in progress. She's flawed, feisty and she can definitely kick some ass. Jack is funny and rather loveable, and really gets Saba going sometimes. They are quite sweet together. Hopefully in the second book I will get to know Lugh more. ( )
  Leah422 | Jul 10, 2016 |
My main problem with this book was the language. I get that after some sort of apocalypse (maybe?) we're going to lose language, some words, maybe revert to slang - especially since there don't seem to be any schools - and that's fine. I understand and I accept. But someone please, oh please, explain how they've lost word like "afraid" - which arguably could be used on a daily basis, especially by a family with children who live near scary woods - and "car," yet they've still got words like "hangover" - which they (again, arguably) wouldn't be using very often since they're a bunch of kids living with their father. SERIOUSLY.

I couldn't get past reading "afeared" over and over. Afraid is one word I think we'd all hold onto going into a dystopian future.

You're afeared? Shut up. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Thank god I've already got the sequel in my hands. But I need to sleep! Review forthcoming. ( )
  knotbox | Jun 9, 2016 |
Soo effing good! Oh my goodness I couldn't put it down! I can't wait for October when the second book comes out!! I'll be first in line to get it : ) ( )
  danaaa_99 | Apr 6, 2016 |
11 ( )
  EDHSLC | Feb 4, 2016 |

Moira Youngprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lind, HeatherRead bysecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Saba has spent her whole life in Silverlake, a dried-up wasteland ravaged by constant sandstorms. The Wrecker civilization has long been destroyed, leaving only landfills for Saba and her family to scavenge from. That's fine by her, as long as her beloved twin brother Lugh is around. But when a monster sandstorm arrives, along with four cloaked horsemen, Saba's world is shattered. Lugh is captured, and Saba embarks on an epic quest to get him back.
Suddenly thrown into the lawless, ugly reality of the world outside of desolate Silverlake, Saba is lost without Lugh to guide her. So perhaps the most surprising thing of all is what Saba learns about herself: she's a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. And she has the power to take down a corrupt society from the inside. Teamed up with a handsome daredevil named Jack and a gang of girl revolutionaries called the Free Hawks, Saba stages a showdown that will change the course of her own civilization.

In a distant future, eighteen-year-old Lugh is kidnapped, and while his twin sister Saba and nine-year-old Emmi are trailing him across bleak Sandsea they are captured, too, and taken to brutal Hopetown, where Saba is forced to be a cage fighter until new friends help plan an escape.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,632,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible