Blood Red Road (Dustlands, Book 1) by Moira…

Blood Red Road (Dustlands, Book 1) (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Moira Young

Member:veg-chick
Title:Blood Red Road (Dustlands, Book 1)
Authors:Moira Young
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 480 pages
Tags:science fiction, dystopia, environment, families, survival, suspense, love, twins, adventure

Blood Red Road by Moira Young (2011)

Recently added bysunset_x_cocktail, Mirandalg14, etbm2003, rena70, private library

English (126)  Indonesian (1)  All languages (127)
I had a hard time getting into this one. It was never explained why the world was the way it was, or if it was I totally missed it. It was slow going for me for a while, then it picked up a bit, but I still never felt very involved with the story. I did like the writing style though, which is why it got 3 stars. It reminded me a lot of The Chaos Walking Trilogy in its tone. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Big fat DNF. I couldn't bring myself to finish the last 20%. -_- ( )
  JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
At first, I found the narrative style of Blood Red Road to be incredibly off-putting. The story is told in first person from Saba's perspective and is written in her dialect, making it quite difficult to get into. However, I'm really glad that I stuck with it.

After a little while, I began to notice the odd style less and less and at the same time, the plot gripped me. The novel is fast-paced and exciting and set it a bleak and interesting dystopian setting, drawing on elements of Spaghetti Westerns to create a truly memorable world. Although the novel has environmentalist overtones, these are presented subtly and so the novel never seems preachy.

Saba is also one of the strongest female leads that I have seen in a novel for a long time, wonderfully complex and possessing of a balance of character traits to made her feel like a real teenager rather than a Mary Sue or violent killing machine.

I could not recommend this novel enough. Even though there are dozens of dystopian novels in the best-seller list, this one stands out over them as something really special. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Jul 8, 2014 |
Admittedly this book sat on my shelf for quite awhile. I started reading it last year and got about a chapter in when I decided to set it aside. I'm very much a mood reader and this one I believe requires the right mood. Whenever I try to force through reading a book that doesn't catch me right away, then what might normally take me a few days could take 2 months. When I picked it back up I devoured it in 2 days.

The entire book is written/read in some sort of clipped English vernacular. There is no punctuation for you to note when the actual speech of a character begins and ends. You simply have to pay attention to the cues of so-and-so says, I said, he says, etc. The jumps to the next line are very frequent but they help you keep track of when the person who is talking changes. Once you get comfortable with this and the speech patterns the book flows smoothly and quickly. If you can't get past this you might end up really annoyed.

Saba, the heroine is 18, and I really considered this her story of how she finds herself by trying to find her brother. It appears to be set in post-apocalyptic America by all of the descriptions throughout the book of "wrecker" technology. I enjoyed the references in the book to these things and the fact that they didn't go into any background as to how the world got to the state it is in.

I didn't particularly find this to be a fast paced action adventure, I thought it had a steady progression that kept you turning the pages without feeling the need to tear through them.

Saba, set out with her younger sister Emmi, whom she has hated her whole life, in search of her brother Lugh. The character profile you get of Saba at the beginning is great. You can see she's strong willed to the point of stubborn, that she has a definite mean streak (especially where Emmi is concerned), though still a softie, she's got the grit of a survivor who thinks on her feet. I love the way her character flaws annoyed me, rather than other books I've read where they've made me want to punch the character in the face.

What I loved about this is that there is absolutely no love interest until the second half of the book. I often find that YA books focus so heavily on romance that the story takes a backseat to it - which drives me up the wall. I prefer that romance support a story - not BE the story. This one gave me that perfect balance I like.

You also see a wonderful portrayal of personal growth for Saba through the course of the book. She self evaluates and learns from her past and mistakes. I hate it when characters beat their head up against the same wall over and over, doing the same stupid thing each time. Saba does some of that to an extent but only where it concerns her mission to find her brother and the fact that she feels she has to do it alone. She isn't used to interacting with other people and it shows.

The setup for additional books is very obvious, and I'm looking forward to reading more by Moira Young, but I felt that even if there weren't further books slotted to come out a reader could still walk away content with how this book ends. Oh and I was tickled pink to learn that this is supposedly going to be made into a movie in 2014.

Oh yeah - anybody that's read it already - got any thoughts on what chaal is? ( )
  Pabkins | Jun 24, 2014 |
Hmm. I think this one's way overhyped. I wanted more. What are the "Wrecker" cities--what happened to them, and most of civilization, for that matter? Seems like it wouldn't have taken much to explain the basic setting of the book.

The decision to write the book in dialect was interesting. I don't mind books in dialect. Sometimes I think it adds great richness to the narrator(s). This time, I think it allowed the author to neglect writing with emotion or depth. I flew through the book without really caring about what was happening to the characters, even during what were clearly supposed to be seminal scenes. It became a distraction. Or maybe I'm just giving the accent too much credit, and the author wouldn't have written with much attention to emotion, anyway.

Also: how the bleep do you pronounce "Lugh??"

I think I'd have really enjoyed Blood Red Road if it had been a short story about what happens when she's in Hopetown. The rest of the book is pretty "meh."

ETA: I ended up reading book #2 and *really* liking it, so I do think this is worth reading for backstory on the series. I can't wait for book 3 to come out! ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |

Moira Youngprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lind, HeatherRead bysecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOR MY PARENTS AND FOR PAUL
LUGH GOT BORN FIRST.

Saba has spent her whole life in Silverlake, a dried-up wasteland ravaged by constant sandstorms. The Wrecker civilization has long been destroyed, leaving only landfills for Saba and her family to scavenge from. That's fine by her, as long as her beloved twin brother Lugh is around. But when a monster sandstorm arrives, along with four cloaked horsemen, Saba's world is shattered. Lugh is captured, and Saba embarks on an epic quest to get him back.
Suddenly thrown into the lawless, ugly reality of the world outside of desolate Silverlake, Saba is lost without Lugh to guide her. So perhaps the most surprising thing of all is what Saba learns about herself: she's a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. And she has the power to take down a corrupt society from the inside. Teamed up with a handsome daredevil named Jack and a gang of girl revolutionaries called the Free Hawks, Saba stages a showdown that will change the course of her own civilization.

Blood Red Road has a searing pace, a poetically minimal writing style, violent action, and an epic love story. Moira Young is one of the most promising and startling new voices in teen fiction.

In a distant future, eighteen-year-old Lugh is kidnapped, and while his twin sister Saba and nine-year-old Emmi are trailing him across bleak Sandsea they are captured, too, and taken to brutal Hopetown, where Saba is forced to be a cage fighter until new friends help plan an escape.… (more)

274 wanted7 pay6 pay

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,098,846 books! | Top bar: Always visible