King's Cross: The Story of the World in…

King's Cross: The Story of the World in the Life of Jesus

by Timothy Keller

Timothy Keller "unlocks new insights into the life of Jesus Christ as he explores how Jesus came as a king, but a king who had to bear the greatest burden anyone ever has." — Publisher's notes
  rbclibrary | Apr 12, 2014 |
I admit that I was really skeptical when I got this book (something about the breathless dust jacket blurbs, which are doubtless not Keller's fault). I'm glad I read it, though. I don't think his writing style will ever be my favorite; for example, his tendency to drop a quote from Lewis or Tolkien or something from pop culture just as he's winding up to a really excellent theological insight. There were also moments when his exegesis made me wish he would "show his work" a little more. I was uncomfortable at points that the book didn't have a stronger "churchly" horizon and was focused more on the felt needs of the individual seeker. On the other hand, Keller is targeting the unchurched. He knows his audience well. And I was also challenged by the reminder of how personal and particular Jesus' love is. It's the only thing that can free me up to get over myself and be able to love Him and others.

Keller introduces Jesus and the gospel in such an attractive, often surprising way that I often thought of people with whom I wanted to share and discuss this book. On the whole, I would recommend it. ( )
  LudieGrace | Dec 4, 2013 |
Not as good as his earlier book, Reason For God. This books reads like a series of sermons from the book of Mark. There are some particularly fascinating and rewarding insights. I enjoyed the last chapter about the happy ending, which as a Christian I really believe and that makes so much difference in how I feel and live my life. I could have given the book a five star rating if it was more scholarly. He assumes much from his theological background that he doesn't support. A decent read non the less. ( )
  SamTekoa | Feb 17, 2013 |
NCLA Review -Author Timothy Keller, pastor of Redeemer Presbyterian Church in Manhattan, has been called a C.S. Lewis for the Twenty-first Century. This is a fitting comparison for he writes of Jesus as both a historical figure and a risen Savior. Keller explores the life of Christ as written in the Gospel of Mark and notes that the truth of the story of death and resurrection is a victory for all Christians. He writes for both believers and skeptics using words, references and stories that are clear to all. The message delivered in this book was first given in a series of sermons for Keller’s church. This eminently readable and thought provoking book would serve well for use as the basis of a study group on the Gospel of Mark, the historical Jesus or an exploration of a personal relationship with our Savior. ( )
  ncla | Oct 2, 2011 |
I'm reading Keller's "King's Cross: The Story of the World in the Life of Jesus"
  joefleener | Jul 19, 2011 |

King's Cross is Timothy Keller's revelatory look at the life of Christ as told in the Gospel of Mark. There have been many biographies of Jesus, but few will be as anticipated as one by Keller, the man Newsweek calls "a C.S. Lewis for the twenty-first century."

In it, Keller shows how the story of Jesus is at once cosmic, historical, and personal, calling each of us to look anew at our relationship with God. Like Keller's other books it has tremendous crossover appeal, but it is also ideal for the faithful, those who are looking for a closer connection to Jesus and Christianity.

New York Times bestselling author and nationally renowned minister Timothy Keller unlocks new insights into the life of Jesus Christ.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:26 -0400)

Presents a revelatory examination of the life of Christ as told in the Gospel of Mark, inviting readers to review their personal relationships with God with a greater understanding of historical events.

124 wanted3 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,632,960 books! | Top bar: Always visible