Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire) by Mark…

Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire) (edition 2012)

by Mark Lawrence (Author)

Member:muralijayapala
Title:Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire)
Authors:Mark Lawrence (Author)
Info:Ace (2012), Edition: LaterPrinting, 336 pages
Tags:fiction, eb

Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence (Author)

The Blade Itself (The First Law: Book One) by Joe Abercrombie (Lucy_Skywalker)
    Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie (Kiddboyblue)
    Kiddboyblue: Another great tale of revenge that is brutal and bloody and unrelenting.

English (71)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Albanian (1)  All languages (75)
I'd prefer to give this three-and-a-half stars, because it's extremely well done and very good, but frankly, I didn't really like it.

It gets a lot of comparison to Georgey Martin, but for me, the similarity is only there in the gleeful grit, the elegant brutality, the unapologetic bastardry that is the base level of reality. For me, Martin is brilliant and satisfying for the complexity and realism of his story - the myriad angles and the rampant confusion. Lawrence, in contrast, has pared fantasy storytelling back to a single vicious line of first-person narration (with a little backstory smoke-and-mirrors to provide texture and pacing). I'm not saying it's not an elegant, masterful stab to the heart, but it's just the one. (Martin, if we wanted to strain this analogy, is flaying you to death over a period of weeks.)

I appreciate what the book does, without really finding it to my taste. Not because of the young narrator's fey delight in death and rape, but because of its stylistic and story choices. The condensed style of narrative used leads to a manner of storytelling almost stylised in its sparsity, which can give brutal power to the careful phrases... or can teeter on the edge of melodrama. (And especially coming out of reading Abercrombie, the melodrama sometimes won out for me.) And while I really liked the world-building - and more importantly, the gradual revelation of that world - I intensely dislike that our narrator is apparently the only one who has the keys to unlock it, despite being, educationally, ten years old (and having spent a significant portion of that education learning languages, apparently, since he allegedly speaks six). I suspect there are Reasons for this embedded in the deeper Ageless Magical Struggle hinted at (deliciously) throughout, but frankly, I'm not sure even Reasons can overcome that much bullshit. It's a problem for me.

Look, it had vicious style, brutal class and some wonderful innovation in a genre that traditionally gets a little spooked about new things. I applaud all of that. But it didn't really move me. ( )
  cupiscent | Aug 3, 2019 |
Captivating from beginning to end ( )
  SamAllwise | Jul 24, 2019 |
In the first chapter, our hero rapes two peasant girls and then burns them alive.

I still made it a further hundred pages in before calling it quits in utter disgust. ( )
  miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
Too much senseless violence. The main character is pretty flat and has unrealistic good luck. Everything always turns out right even when he is just being reckless for the sake of it.
I won’t be reading the rest of the trilogy. ( )
  RosaneC | Mar 23, 2019 |
This should really be a 3.5 stars: I started reading torn between curiosity for the story and some concern about the degree of violence many reviewers mentioned.

The violence is there, granted, but it's depicted with a total lack of morbid gratification; it's rather observed with a detached eye, an emotional removal that I found more chilling than the actual descriptions and that is explained with some important revelation about the main character.

Prince Jorg is indeed an unsympathetic protagonist, with few redeeming qualities - or maybe none at all - and yet his story is a compelling one: the mysteries surrounding his past go hand in hand with those concerning the world he lives in, a future planet Earth reverted back to medieval-like times after a huge catastrophe.

This curiosity, this need to know more, is what will certainly keep me reading the other books in this trilogy. As they say: "hook, line and sinker".... ( )
  SpaceandSorcery | Dec 25, 2018 |
Prince of Thorns is without a doubt the most original and most memorable fantasy debut of 2011. It's difficult to imagine how another book could top this one
added by mark32 | editRisingShadow.net, Sami Airola (Feb 27, 2011)

"This is a lean, cold knife-thrust of a novel, a revenge fantasy anchored on the compelling voice and savage purpose of its titular Prince. There is never a safe moment in Lawrence’s debut"

added by mark32 | editRobert V.S Redick

"Dark and relentless, the Prince of Thorns will pull you under and drown you in story. A two in the morning page turner."
added by mark32 | editRobin Hobb

The Prince of Thorns is an apt title for young Jorg - as a character he is not heroic at all. He is twisted and violent, calculating and merciless. Yet I couldn't stop reading - regardless how many times Lawrence's brilliant descriptions made me wince and clasp my hand to my mouth in disbelief. It was freaking awesome!

Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence is the best fantasy read I’ve had since Alan Campbell’s Scar Night. It got hold of me from page one and didn’t let go...

Lawrence, MarkAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chan, JasonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Clamp, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jameson, JoeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Celyn, the best parts were never broken
Ravens! Always the ravens.

"Before the thorns taught me their sharp lessons and bled weakness from me I had but one brother, and I loved him well. But those days are gone and what is left of them lies in my mother's tomb. Now I have many brothers, quick with knife and sword, and as evil as you please. We ride this broken empire and loot its corpse. They say these are violent times, the end of days when the dead roam and monsters haunt the night. All that's true enough, but there's something worse out there, in the dark. Much worse."

Once a privileged royal child, raised by a loving mother, Jorg Ancrath has become the Prince of Thorns, a charming, immoral boy leading a grim band of outlaws in a series of raids and atrocities. The world is in chaos: violence is rife, nightmares everywhere. Jorg's bleak past has set him beyond fear of any man, living or dead, but there is still one thing that puts a chill in him. Returning to his father's castle Jorg must confront horrors from his childhood and carve himself a future with all hands turned against him. The thorns taught him a lesson in blood...Copyright 2010, Mark Lawrence, All Rights Reserved.The Prince of Thorns is the first volume in a powerful new epic fantasy trilogy, original, absorbing and challenging.

Mark Lawrence’s debut novel tells a tale of blood and treachery, magic and brotherhood and paints a compelling and brutal, sometimes beautiful, picture of an exceptional boy on his journey toward manhood and the throne.

After witnessing the murder of his mother and brother and leading a band of bloodthirsty thugs, Prince Honorous Jorg Ancrath returns to his father's castle and his birthright, but faces treachery and dark magic once he arrives.

Mark Lawrence is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,315,610 books! | Top bar: Always visible