Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence

Prince of Thorns (edition 2012)

by Mark Lawrence

604None16,426 (3.87)20
Member:anglemark
Title:Prince of Thorns
Authors:Mark Lawrence
Info:Harper Voyager (2012), Paperback, 416 sidor
Tags:fantasy

Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence

English (30)  Dutch (1)  Albanian (1)  German (1)  All languages (33)
If you like fantasy, particularly dark fantasy, I cannot recommend a book any higher than to say, move Prince of Thorns to the top of your reading list NOW.

This book was incredibly well written. The plot is well thought out and developed and the pacing was excellent. But more than that, it's a magnificent example of first person narrative. The setting is not what you initially expect, and there is an aspect to it that is slowly revealed in a way that I thought was absolutely fucking brilliant. I was thrilled.

The main character, Jorg, is pretty despicable. Typically these types of anti-heroes are really hard to write well. He has to be appropriately psychotic but somehow the reader still likes him, or at least doesn't hate him. Or at least is really hoping he'll succeed despite what a horrible person he is. This, in my experience, is the rarest type of character in fiction. Any fiction. So I get really excited when it's done so amazingly well.

All in all, I literally could not put this book down. I read the whole thing in one day and was up with it till 2 am because I simply couldn't go to bed without finding out what happened and how things played out. ( )
  Mistress_Bedlam | Mar 6, 2014 |

The book came highly recommended but failed to delight. The main character is a homicidal child/teen who walks around like some young evil super-ninja and commits horrible deeds in order to coax a reaction or acclaim from the reader because his father doesn't notice him. The book has the frame of an excellent book and the language is on occasion elegantly used, but because it fails to make the characters believable and it fails to make me care about their success - I won't be queueing up for the sequel. ( )
  StigE | Feb 22, 2014 |
When I first began this book back in April of 2013, I read a few chapters and then flung it aside. Jorg, the main character, starts out Neutral Evil and moves quickly to Chaotic Evil. He's not an antihero, in fact he's no hero at all. It held place in the corner it was flung for seven months, and in December I decided to journey further because I've had several friends recommend it. I was hoping Jorg would grow or have a redemptive moment, but Noooooo!!
There's a major turning point in the novel when he's betrayed by a close family member, and I recall rooting for him to have a slow, painful death. That's the depravity of Jorg. The novel itself is his journey of vengeance and anything and anybody in his way will get betrayed or trampled upon.
Plus: excellent writing, raw and different than the norm
Minus:
One: - I find myself hoping the main character gets flayed alive
Two: There's one too many impossible odds moments where Jorg suddenly pulls through, survives, defeats the horde, etc. I can put up with one or two per book but time after time Jorg defied the odds. In superhero books this is excusable; however, in a book that portrays a brutal reality and revels in such it is heresy. This quibble alone knocked two stars off from the review. ( )
  revslick | Jan 5, 2014 |
Complete and utter over the top brutality and selfishness. The main character simply does things to spite others. While you might have felt sympathy for him because of the horrible history he had, he uses that history to grow his hate and rage to commit as great, or even greater atrocities, thus becoming a ravening beast inspiring hatred and rage in others, and thus continuing an ever-downward spiral.

I will not be reading any more by this author. ( )
  Bookstooge | Sep 26, 2013 |
Dragons & Jetpacks Fantasy Book of the Month, October 2013 ( )
  Rinnreads | Sep 24, 2013 |
Prince of Thorns is without a doubt the most original and most memorable fantasy debut of 2011. It's difficult to imagine how another book could top this one
added by mark32 | editRisingShadow.net, Sami Airola (Feb 27, 2011)

"This is a lean, cold knife-thrust of a novel, a revenge fantasy anchored on the compelling voice and savage purpose of its titular Prince. There is never a safe moment in Lawrence’s debut"

added by mark32 | editRobert V.S Redick

"Dark and relentless, the Prince of Thorns will pull you under and drown you in story. A two in the morning page turner."
added by mark32 | editRobin Hobb

Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence is the best fantasy read I’ve had since Alan Campbell’s Scar Night. It got hold of me from page one and didn’t let go...

The Prince of Thorns is an apt title for young Jorg - as a character he is not heroic at all. He is twisted and violent, calculating and merciless. Yet I couldn't stop reading - regardless how many times Lawrence's brilliant descriptions made me wince and clasp my hand to my mouth in disbelief. It was freaking awesome!

Mark Lawrenceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chan, JasonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voor Celyn, de beste delen zijn nooit kapot gegaan,
To Celyn, the best parts were never broken
Raven! Altijd weer die raven.
Ravens! Always the ravens.

"Before the thorns taught me their sharp lessons and bled weakness from me I had but one brother, and I loved him well. But those days are gone and what is left of them lies in my mother's tomb. Now I have many brothers, quick with knife and sword, and as evil as you please. We ride this broken empire and loot its corpse. They say these are violent times, the end of days when the dead roam and monsters haunt the night. All that's true enough, but there's something worse out there, in the dark. Much worse."

Once a privileged royal child, raised by a loving mother, Jorg Ancrath has become the Prince of Thorns, a charming, immoral boy leading a grim band of outlaws in a series of raids and atrocities. The world is in chaos: violence is rife, nightmares everywhere. Jorg's bleak past has set him beyond fear of any man, living or dead, but there is still one thing that puts a chill in him. Returning to his father's castle Jorg must confront horrors from his childhood and carve himself a future with all hands turned against him. The thorns taught him a lesson in blood...Copyright 2010, Mark Lawrence, All Rights Reserved.The Prince of Thorns is the first volume in a powerful new epic fantasy trilogy, original, absorbing and challenging.

Mark Lawrence’s debut novel tells a tale of blood and treachery, magic and brotherhood and paints a compelling and brutal, sometimes beautiful, picture of an exceptional boy on his journey toward manhood and the throne.

When he was nine, he watched his mother and brother killed before him. By the time he was thirteen, he was the leader of a band of bloodthirsty thugs. By fifteen, he intends to be king... It's time for Prince Honorous Jorg Ancrath to return to the castle he turned his back on, to take what's rightfully his. Since the day he was hung on the thorns of a briar patch and forced to watch Count Renar's men slaughter his mother and young brother, Jorg has been driven to vent his rage. Life and death are no more than a game to him-and he has nothing left to lose. But treachery awaits him in his father's castle. Treachery and dark magic. No matter how fierce, can the will of one young man conquer enemies with power beyond his imagining?… (more)

Mark Lawrence is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,467,554 books! | Top bar: Always visible