Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence
Authors:Mark Lawrence
Info:Harper Voyager (2012), Paperback, 416 sidor

Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence

Recently added byJay-Freeman, mind-gloaming, private library, Chazmagic1

English (48)  Dutch (1)  Albanian (1)  German (1)  All languages (51)
Too short. Ebook was 251 pages...
  Vinbert | Nov 22, 2015 |
Too short. Ebook was 251 pages...
  Vinbert | Nov 22, 2015 |
I originally read Prince of Thorns in 2011. I just re-read it (3/15) for the Group Challenge for the r/Fantasy discussion group. My original review left a lot out, so here's a new review.

“Tell me, tutor,' I said. 'Is revenge a science, or an art?”

The world has been left a deserted wasteland after the night of a thousand suns a millennium ago, and what was left broke into a hundred feudal kingdoms ruled by a hundred feudal, bloodthirsty, greedy kings, and one emperor who rules them all. Bands of robbers roam the land, and each king engages in a brutal game of power.

Jorg is the son of one such king, and as a child, witnesses the barbaric murder of his mother and younger brother, left for dead in a bed of briers that held him tight. And that broke him.

Now he's the definition of an anti-hero searching for vengeance, but without a shred of conscience. As what we would still consider a child, he leads a band of brothers -- yes, Robin Hood really reflected here for me -- but doesn't really flinch at the idea of them dying. He kills his friends, he attacks his family, theft and rape and murder don't really shake him.

But in the midst of all of this, he's also examining himself and the world around him through the lenses of his education, stretching from Plato to Sun Tzu to Nietzsche, and thinking about concepts like free will and morality. I really think the concept of free will versus the guiding hand are going to be following in the remaining books, and I'm curious to see what will happen.

Trigger warning for my friends: if you bat an eyelash at any sort of brutality -- bloody mayhem, rape, murder, swearing, whatever, steer clear. This book has been extremely controversial for how dark it is, but I think it's got an interesting redemption in some of the underlying story themes. And sometimes you just want a great big old violent frolic anyway. ( )
  lyrrael | Oct 18, 2015 |
This book is great. It's also incredibly violent and graphic and has a whole host of completely unlikeable characters! I mean, if that doesn't get you interested right there, I don't know what would!
Starting points, you'll either get sucked into this book right off (guilty as charged) or you will be so nauseated that you'll put it down right away and probably not continue. It's graphic, and the gore starts at the very first page.
Now, if you're someone who has to really like the narrating character, then this book isn't for you. I mean, Jorg really isn't that likeable. He doesn't even really have any redeeming qualities. However, if you're someone more like me and you adore flawed characters, then you're probably going to like Jorg because MAN he is flawed.
The book literally begins with a slaughter. Jorg and his 'brothers' - the band of roguish men that he travels with - have just finished decimating a village and are just finishing up when the book begins. As I said, the gore begins right off. Now, the gory stuff really isn't written to be nasty or vomit inducing or anything. It's just violent, and gory.... and really violent.
The narration is from Jorg's point of view, and switches back and forth from being the present and four years earlier when Jorg was ten. (We are dealing with a fourteen year old main character here. Brace yourself.)
Jorg is a great character, if you're okay with really not liking much about him. He's violent, angry, angsty, vengeful, proud. You name that deadly sin and Jorg has it! It was a little awkward at first when you first realise that the narrator is a rather young boy, and yet is more violent and colder than the grown men that he travels with, but as the story progresses it makes more sense. The chapters that deal with Jorg's past show why it is he's like how he is, and what happened to make him that way.
One problem is, because there is a whole band of men that Jorg travels with, it is hard to keep them straight at the beginning. But, i mean, a lot of them die throughout the book so there's less to keep track of by the end! Don't really bother getting attached to many of the characters, they're probably going to die (hey it's like reading a GrrM book!) And, speaking of George R.R. Martin, his influence over this book is really really obvious. At times it was a bit too obvious.
The book deals a lot with the idea of life and war just being a game. Jorg compares this war that he's in and his life to being just a game and everything and everyone are just pieces in the game. Before he makes an important action, there will be moments where it is laid out like a move on a chess board. However, the number of times he says something about the 'game of thrones' was a little ridiculous. Like, I know that that is a pretty generic statement, but really, it's kind of obvious where that was inspired from. Regardless, the phrase worked with the story and the whole idea of everything being a game did lend itself well to the plot and Jorg's narration. It gave him a tiny bit of endearing character, because he is rather detached from the situation, viewing everything as if it were a game.
The only real problem i had with the book is that I had absolutely zero sense of setting. It tells you about the broken empire and few hundred kings that are all dreaming of one day reuniting the empire as a whole. But Jorg was constantly referencing ancient to modern philosophers ( from Socrates to Nietzsche ) and there were actual geographic places that were mentioned. However, it was obviously a fantasy setting. So, i was confused whether or not we were supposed to be viewing these places in a European setting that is apparently set apart from time? Or if it is a world in and of itself with this realistic elements in them? It was all rather confusing.
Aside from that, though, the book was very well written. The pacing was great, i really didn't put it down after I started it. Even though the characters aren't that loveable, i did like them. But really, you have to really like this kind of book to get into this. You have to be someone who likes flawed characters and gritty plots. Because that was basically all this book was. Flawed characters and gritty plot. ( )
  glitzandshadows | Oct 12, 2015 |
An interesting take on the whole "Prince seeks his father's throne" story. Certainly different enough in its realism to catch you and keep you reading to see what happens next. It makes me curious about how Jorg progresses in the next two books in the series ( )
  ggoldby | Aug 27, 2015 |
Prince of Thorns is without a doubt the most original and most memorable fantasy debut of 2011. It's difficult to imagine how another book could top this one
added by mark32 | editRisingShadow.net, Sami Airola (Feb 27, 2011)
"This is a lean, cold knife-thrust of a novel, a revenge fantasy anchored on the compelling voice and savage purpose of its titular Prince. There is never a safe moment in Lawrence’s debut"

added by mark32 | editRobert V.S Redick
"Dark and relentless, the Prince of Thorns will pull you under and drown you in story. A two in the morning page turner."
added by mark32 | editRobin Hobb
The Prince of Thorns is an apt title for young Jorg - as a character he is not heroic at all. He is twisted and violent, calculating and merciless. Yet I couldn't stop reading - regardless how many times Lawrence's brilliant descriptions made me wince and clasp my hand to my mouth in disbelief. It was freaking awesome!
Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence is the best fantasy read I’ve had since Alan Campbell’s Scar Night. It got hold of me from page one and didn’t let go...

Mark Lawrenceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chan, JasonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voor Celyn, de beste delen zijn nooit kapot gegaan,
To Celyn, the best parts were never broken
Raven! Altijd weer die raven.
Ravens! Always the ravens.

"Before the thorns taught me their sharp lessons and bled weakness from me I had but one brother, and I loved him well. But those days are gone and what is left of them lies in my mother's tomb. Now I have many brothers, quick with knife and sword, and as evil as you please. We ride this broken empire and loot its corpse. They say these are violent times, the end of days when the dead roam and monsters haunt the night. All that's true enough, but there's something worse out there, in the dark. Much worse."

Once a privileged royal child, raised by a loving mother, Jorg Ancrath has become the Prince of Thorns, a charming, immoral boy leading a grim band of outlaws in a series of raids and atrocities. The world is in chaos: violence is rife, nightmares everywhere. Jorg's bleak past has set him beyond fear of any man, living or dead, but there is still one thing that puts a chill in him. Returning to his father's castle Jorg must confront horrors from his childhood and carve himself a future with all hands turned against him. The thorns taught him a lesson in blood...Copyright 2010, Mark Lawrence, All Rights Reserved.The Prince of Thorns is the first volume in a powerful new epic fantasy trilogy, original, absorbing and challenging.

Mark Lawrence’s debut novel tells a tale of blood and treachery, magic and brotherhood and paints a compelling and brutal, sometimes beautiful, picture of an exceptional boy on his journey toward manhood and the throne.

When he was nine, he watched his mother and brother killed before him. By the time he was thirteen, he was the leader of a band of bloodthirsty thugs. By fifteen, he intends to be king... It's time for Prince Honorous Jorg Ancrath to return to the castle he turned his back on, to take what's rightfully his. Since the day he was hung on the thorns of a briar patch and forced to watch Count Renar's men slaughter his mother and young brother, Jorg has been driven to vent his rage. Life and death are no more than a game to him-and he has nothing left to lose. But treachery awaits him in his father's castle. Treachery and dark magic. No matter how fierce, can the will of one young man conquer enemies with power beyond his imagining?… (more)

Mark Lawrence is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,859,635 books! | Top bar: Always visible