Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence

Prince of Thorns (edition 2012)

by Mark Lawrence

Member:anglemark
Title:Prince of Thorns
Authors:Mark Lawrence
Info:Harper Voyager (2012), Paperback, 416 sidor
Tags:fantasy

Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence

English (45)  Dutch (1)  Albanian (1)  German (1)  All languages (48)
An interesting take on the whole "Prince seeks his father's throne" story. Certainly different enough in its realism to catch you and keep you reading to see what happens next. It makes me curious about how Jorg progresses in the next two books in the series ( )
  ggoldby | Aug 27, 2015 |
I really loved, loved, loved LOVED this book. After finishing, I wondered where the hell was I all this time, and why the hell didn't I read this sooner? It's dark, it's cold, it's fantastical, it's bloody brilliant!

Many things this novel may be, but most certainly it's not for the faint hearted. If you picked this up hoping to bite into a sweet, honorable, feel-good story, the first chapter lone will knock your teeth out.

Lawrence is a truly gifted storyteller, as he immerses the reader in the brutal world of knights of old, while denying you the comfort of foolish romanticism often associated with such stories.

The crown jewel of the entire novel is creation of an antihero in the truest sense of the word. Up to the very end, I had no idea how to feel about Jorg. Usually, when we're given an antihero, the author leaves that one single connecting point to humanity, that one redeeming quality that gives you the justification you need to validate the anti-social behavior. Lawrence gives you NONE, as he plays with his reader mercilessly till the very end. The novel is incredibly fast paced, filled with action, and the ever-changing scenes give you plenty opportunity to glimpse inside of Jorg's mind. What you find in there has you reeling.

I wanted to save the kid, I wanted to watch him die. I understood him, at the same time he confused the hell out of me. I hated him for the majority of the novel, and at the same time he is one of the best leading characters I have come across. That's how brilliant Lawrence's writing is. He will lay the scene out and allow you just enough to begin to hope you found that human connection, then quickly cut it to shreds before your very eyes. He will allow you just enough to like a character, before killing him off unsuspectingly. He will keep you on your toes the entire time.

What you think you know about the novel at the very beginning, will change more then a few times before you reach the end...if you want to know about it, persevere and you shall be rewarded. This is a dark fantasy of epic proportions.

This has easily become one of my favorite books I've read, and Lawrence got himself a fan. ( )
  IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |
Nice book, I'm looking forward to reading book 2 and 3 of this series ( )
  JurgenJacobs | Jul 30, 2015 |
Nice book, I'm looking forward to reading book 2 and 3 of this series ( )
  JurgenJacobs | Jul 30, 2015 |
I first found this book a year or two ago and it left me reeling because I’d never read anything so dark.

It tells the story of a young prince over two time periods. At one point he is 10 years old and has just seen his mother and younger brother brutally murdered in front of him. Trapped in a thorn bush that tears his skin to the bone he is eventually found only to discover, after a brutal and hellish recovery, that his father has sold peace to their killers. Completely and utterly betrayed he finds a new path open to him and this is the second part of our story.

Four years on he has amassed a band of cut throats who are his road brothers and share with him the bonds that only men who have killed together can share. They are heading back to the kingdom ruled by Jorg’s father in order to confirm his being alive and his place in the line of succession for the new Queen is ready to pop.

Through both parts of the story we hear the improbable tale of how a boy of 10 could possibly earn the respect and fear of some of the most feared killers in the land. That he does it without them knowing he is a Prince makes it even more galling but we as reader quickly learn that to challenge or question Jorg is not a smart thing to do and would most likely be the last thing you do.

I think I was initially stunned by not just the sheer audacity of Jorg and his horrific actions but by the fact that I was on his side. Knowing from Mark that he was modelled on Alex from Clockwork Orange makes a lot of sense, but I also found him and his situation reminding me of George Martins character Sandor Clegane The Hound. There is a sense that he was very much forged by the actions of those around him, and rather than wallow in pity, he has acknowledged the way the world is and decided he is going to survive in it.

He takes umbrage at the thought that he might still be doing something as unambitious as merely rousting villages by his fifteenth birthday declaring “By the time fifteen came around I’d be king”. In a world we every breath could be your last, I found this over confidence to the point of recklessness an attractive trait. He is past mere motivation, as though his path is set, his decisions made and his fate sealed. It seems watching your brother killed whilst you are impaled on thorns and unable to help removes the chance of sympathy or mercy being shown and I was completely on board with Jorg as he moved through the world like a tornado that would destroy one house but leave the one next to it completely untouched. Did I feel sorry for those innocents that were caught in his path? Yes. The thing is he is an undeniable force of nature and as it is written in first person it’s hard not to empathise with him as you are in his head. In the hands of a less skilled writer Jorg would be a horrible prick with no redeeming features and the book would be a pile of steaming poop. He is a horrible prick but, at the same time, one of my favourite characters and definitely one of my favourite books

This is a must read and the start of a fantastic series of three books called The Broken Empire series. His next series is The Red Queen’s War and the first book Prince of Fools is available and the second book is coming out very soon.

This review and more like it can be at www.areadingmachine.com

areadingmachine | Jul 6, 2015 |
Prince of Thorns is without a doubt the most original and most memorable fantasy debut of 2011. It's difficult to imagine how another book could top this one
added by mark32 | editRisingShadow.net, Sami Airola (Feb 27, 2011)

"This is a lean, cold knife-thrust of a novel, a revenge fantasy anchored on the compelling voice and savage purpose of its titular Prince. There is never a safe moment in Lawrence’s debut"

added by mark32 | editRobert V.S Redick

"Dark and relentless, the Prince of Thorns will pull you under and drown you in story. A two in the morning page turner."
added by mark32 | editRobin Hobb

The Prince of Thorns is an apt title for young Jorg - as a character he is not heroic at all. He is twisted and violent, calculating and merciless. Yet I couldn't stop reading - regardless how many times Lawrence's brilliant descriptions made me wince and clasp my hand to my mouth in disbelief. It was freaking awesome!

Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence is the best fantasy read I’ve had since Alan Campbell’s Scar Night. It got hold of me from page one and didn’t let go...

Mark Lawrenceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chan, JasonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voor Celyn, de beste delen zijn nooit kapot gegaan,
To Celyn, the best parts were never broken
Raven! Altijd weer die raven.
Ravens! Always the ravens.

"Before the thorns taught me their sharp lessons and bled weakness from me I had but one brother, and I loved him well. But those days are gone and what is left of them lies in my mother's tomb. Now I have many brothers, quick with knife and sword, and as evil as you please. We ride this broken empire and loot its corpse. They say these are violent times, the end of days when the dead roam and monsters haunt the night. All that's true enough, but there's something worse out there, in the dark. Much worse."

Once a privileged royal child, raised by a loving mother, Jorg Ancrath has become the Prince of Thorns, a charming, immoral boy leading a grim band of outlaws in a series of raids and atrocities. The world is in chaos: violence is rife, nightmares everywhere. Jorg's bleak past has set him beyond fear of any man, living or dead, but there is still one thing that puts a chill in him. Returning to his father's castle Jorg must confront horrors from his childhood and carve himself a future with all hands turned against him. The thorns taught him a lesson in blood...Copyright 2010, Mark Lawrence, All Rights Reserved.The Prince of Thorns is the first volume in a powerful new epic fantasy trilogy, original, absorbing and challenging.

Mark Lawrence’s debut novel tells a tale of blood and treachery, magic and brotherhood and paints a compelling and brutal, sometimes beautiful, picture of an exceptional boy on his journey toward manhood and the throne.

When he was nine, he watched his mother and brother killed before him. By the time he was thirteen, he was the leader of a band of bloodthirsty thugs. By fifteen, he intends to be king... It's time for Prince Honorous Jorg Ancrath to return to the castle he turned his back on, to take what's rightfully his. Since the day he was hung on the thorns of a briar patch and forced to watch Count Renar's men slaughter his mother and young brother, Jorg has been driven to vent his rage. Life and death are no more than a game to him-and he has nothing left to lose. But treachery awaits him in his father's castle. Treachery and dark magic. No matter how fierce, can the will of one young man conquer enemies with power beyond his imagining?… (more)

Mark Lawrence is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

188 wanted4 pay1 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,071,266 books! | Top bar: Always visible