Destined by P. C. Cast
745None12,439 (3.67)9

Destined is book nine in the House of Night novel series, published in 2011, and the only one I have read since book three. With that being said, it doesn’t matter where in the series you start as each book is a perfect standalone, but complement one another quite well.

Ex- High Priestess, Zoey, is back home with her guardian and boyfriend, Stark, which gives them both this ultimate connection between them. She learns her mother is dead, first sentence, and instead of being devastated by the news, she quietly sheds a few tears, summons the spirit to still Stark, then has sex with him.
Read the FULL review at http://www.musingwithcrayolakym.com/3/post/2013/11/destined.html ( )
  crayolakym | Nov 28, 2013 |
I was pleasantly surprised in the improvement of characters in this book, as my expectations of this series have dimmed over the course of the series. This book was better. Both Dragon and Lenobia's character are shown more insight as their back stories are revealed, which I'm sure is further explored in the books, Dragon's Oath and Lenobia's Vow. Also, one of the "twins" shows some backbone and stands alone in her beliefs - about time, I might add. Those two drove me nuts every time their dialogue appeared on the page.
Rephaim also continues to battle with his origins and his new lease on life, thanks to Nyx's forgiveness. Though Rephaim himself does little to progress the plot, his presence serves as a major catalyst for both sides and drives Kalona to make some interesting choices.
There is also the addition of a new fledgling to the mix, whose addition answers one question about the red fledglings, but brings up many new questions as she has a new gift of True Sight. From the descriptions, she can see auras, though the word is never used for whatever reason, which I also found annoying. One other addition is another adult to the Tulsa House of Night, a major supporter of Zoey and company, who brings a good dose of sanity and maturity that it so desperately needs. I have renewed hopes in the continuation of this series. ( )
  JacobsBeloved | Nov 25, 2013 |
DNF

Can't force myself any longer. I started out liking this series, but that was well before it became 'the series that never ends'. I can't force myself to care anymore. What started out as a love relationship with these books has descended into a definite don't care relationship. ( )
  emmyson | Oct 9, 2013 |
Reading this series requires an unusual degree of commitment. After a gorgeous cover of a hot native american with raven-coloured wings on his back and indescribable open-mouthed endings of Awakened (particularly involved with a kid and a woman who got their throat slit and a very POV-creepy sex.. yeah, its YA.. no kidding), I was definitely looking forward for this book.

At some point, I was reading through the book amidst unexpected offline guests and trying to satisfy three toddlers' obsessions over Boboiboy and Angry Birds parody, I was reading this book on-off until the end.

It was satisfying, gruesome and expected... but sadly got me thinking, 2 books publication per year is too slow for the series and me. How on earth I was able to stay this long baffled me. But I persisted.

Somehow after 9 1 books, I was able to admit to myself. I am a very loyal bookworm. I'm glad the book amuses me with references of Game of Thrones and Shaunee's finally able to breakthrough her half-self with Erin (coincidently she is the persistent comic humor character of the last 8 books) and I breath a sigh of relief. Rephraim and Kalona was likeable as ever. Zoey is slowly dying on me. Cute cute cute... when will the good stuff start? Oh... right... it ended like that... figures.... You shouldn't have put that scene in the previous book btw.

I'd expected someone to die like what CW's "The Vampire Diaries" writers had done to every of its main character (Elena, Damon, Stefan, Caroline, Tyler, Alaric etc), but sadly, I am familiar with the age group. Stunts like that would make everyone go turn-offed. So help me, Missus Casts, please end this series and make a side series already. Where's the final battle, I want the final battle. Dont prolong the pain and disappoints us all again and again and again.

4 years is too long. I had my degree in this 4 years. Its still weirdly comforting that I could last this long to a book series. But all book things need to end. I'm begging you. Don't prolong this agony.

GIMME THE FINAL BOSS FIGHT. Neferet is annoying me for years now. ( )
  aoibhealfae | Sep 23, 2013 |
I never noticed before the difference in the two styles of writing between P.C. And Kristen, but since I read a review where a book blogger brought up how she could tell the difference and now it is so glaringly obvious! You would think they would iron that out in editing a little more.

1. Stevie Rae's accent dissappears almost completely sometimes. Other times it is ridiculous! (Sayin', takin', seein', 'preciate, 'specially, purrin', y'all, etc.) I don't think continuity is too much to ask of a book.
2. The overuse of the word seriously is annoying.
3. How many times can BFF be used in one book?
4. This book also overused the word super (super important, super purple, super creepy, super anxious, super crazy and it goes on and on and on)
5. I really don't appreciate how they use the word "stuff".
6. Nisroc talks like Yoda.
7. They actually use the word pussy in this book, that is all I got to say about that.
  pandalovesyou | Sep 4, 2013 |

P. C. Castprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cast, Kristinmain authorall editionsconfirmed

The House of Night series is an international phenomenon, reaching #1 in the US, Germany and the UK, and remaining a fixture on the New York Times bestseller list for a whopping 120 weeks and counting. With nearly 12 million copies in print, rights sold in 35 countries to date, and relatable, addictive characters, this series is an unstoppable tour de force.

In Destined, the forces of Light and Dark collide as their epic struggle focuses on Tulsa's House of Night. Zoey is home where she belongs, safe with her Guardian Warrior, Stark, by her side - and preparing to face off against Neferet. Kalona has released his hold on Rephaim, and, through Nyx's gift of a human form, he and Stevie Rae are finally able to be together - if Rephaim can truly walk the path of the Goddess and stay free of his father's shadow.

But is Zoey really safe? Does she truly know those who are closest to her? And will love win when it is tested by the very soul of Darkness? Find out what's destined in the next thrilling chapter of the House of Night series.

"Zoey is finally home where she belongs, safe with her Guardian Warrior, Stark, by her side, and preparing to face off against Neferet - which would be a whole lot easier if the High Counsel saw the ex-High Priestess for what she really is. Kalona has released his hold on Rephaim, and, through Nyx's gift of a human form, Rephaim and Stevie Rae are finally able to be together - if he can truly walk the path of the Goddess and stay free of his father's shadow... But there are new forces at work at the House of Night. An influx of humans, including Lenobia's handsome horse whisperer, threatens their precarious stability. And then there's the mysterious Aurox, a jaw-droppingly gorgeous teen boy who is actually more - or possibly less - than human. Only Neferet knows he was created to be her greatest weapon. But Zoey can sense the part of his soul that remains human, the compassion that wars with his Dark calling. And there's something strangely familiar about him... Will Neferet's true nature be revealed before she succeeds in silencing them all? And will Zoey be able to touch Aurox's humanity in time to protect him - and everyone - from his own fate? Find out what's destined in the next thrilling chapter of the House of Night series"--… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,500,095 books! | Top bar: Always visible