Destined by P. C. Cast

English (26)  German (1)  All languages (27)
Life at school becomes more tense and Zoey and her friends insist on parading a murderer around the grieving loved one of his victims and Nyx insists on not intervening with the super evil Neferet still in control

With ties of family and honour, Dragon and Kalona face hard choices: while the new being Aurox must decide exactly what he is.

Time to open another bottle of the Good Booze because it’s another House of Night review (or, as I’ve come to think of it, my penance for the terrible evil I must have committed in a former life).

The first point that struck me about this book was that I realised why Zoey’s mother died last episode – because Jack and Anastasia died. These two deaths could never ever be about Zoey. Even after a series of making everything about Zoey, this was too much a stretch. So Zoey’s mother died – and the other deaths are pushed quickly into the background. Damian gets to be occasionally “soggy” but now all deaths are eclipsed because now we have Zoey pain to focus on

I have ranted about this in so many books but the redemption/forgiveness themes in this series are truly and utterly awful.

Take Dragon. Dragon’s wife of several centuries was murdered by Rephaim the bird boy who was magically redeemed last book. Dragon is incessantly shamed and demonised in this book because this terribad evil man will not forgive his wife’s murderer when said wife’s ashes are not even cold. The idea that Rephaim should stay away from school and give this poor man a little space so he wouldn’t have to see his wife’s murderer every day (it’s not like he’d lose out on an education – this school has a terrible curriculum and Rephaim himself is over a thousand years old so how much of a high school education does he need?) is considered outrageous. Rephaim’s desire to experience life as a “normal teenaged life” outweigh’s Dragon’s soul crushing grief

Which, again, is presented as a terrible character flaw. Dragon is losing himself, losing his way – and no-one (not Thanatos and certainly not the useless goddess Nyx) bothers to do anything to try and comfort this grieving man. No they talk about how terribad he’s becoming, how he has to forgive and play nice with Rephaim. And it’s only made worse by the ending and what Dragon has to do to redeem himself. Yes he has to redeem himself

In fact – SPOILER WARNING (really if you care. And if you do, look at your life, look at your choices).

Yes spoilers, scroll over to reveal: Dragon dies, sacrifices himself to protect Rephaim. That is his “redemption” for grieving for his wife – protecting his wife’s murderer at the cost of his own life. This is what redemption looks like in this series – a man shamed for not forgiving his wife killer having to then martyr himself for that murderer.

On top of that we throw in the joy of Becca (remember her? She’s the woman who Stark tried to rape) being even further demonised because she has a “Mean Spirit”. Y’know, even if Becca is a reincarnation of Hitler, it STILL wouldn’t make it ok for Stark to try and rape her – stop trying with this demonising, sex shaming bllshit.

But now we have the utter culmination of redemption – I said it was coming and here it is. Kalona ended this book as team good guy. Yes, Neferet is the biggest of big bads (because we all knew we were going for a female villain) and Kalona, the evil, raping, murdering Kalona, is now being brought back into the fold.

Because of a great big act of redemption? Hah, no, of course not. Like Stark and Rephaim, he did nothing to actually earn his redemption – he’s just declared Redeemed. Yay good guy, everyone forget the victims (who, you’ll note with all three of these men, the victims were primarily female) and embrace them.

There is not enough booze in the world.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Mar 2, 2016 |
I loved Destined, the newest House of Night book. The series had been dropping off for me, and Destined brought it back together. The characters are finally coming into their own. The strength of Stevie Rae, for example. While she retains her outspoken slang conversation, she has become a real leader in this book. Zooey is stronger as well, as if all the experiences have begun to shape her into the woman or Queen that she will become. The supporting circle and protectors are also maturing, and the one major death is one of honor and beauty. I am ready for the next in the series - this one was wonderful reading. ( )
  bell96 | Feb 2, 2016 |
The 'House Of Night' books are like an episode of Jerry Springer; not at all mentally stimulating, you actually feel dumber for watching it, and yet — AND YET! — you can't bring yourself to change the channel; or in this case, stop reading.

Somehow this book manages to be quite long even though, nothing really happens. The entirety of this book can really have taken place in one chapter. The ""climax"" was completely obvious and not even vaguely surprising. I found that the best part about the entire thing was the secondary characters being given a little more depth, not that it's difficult, considering how flat they are to begin with. It's impossible to go into detail since any plot point is a spolier (considering nothing really happens).

Following trend, the author's manage to mention not only the iPhone (specifically, as if ""cell phone"" wasn't adequate enough) but also drop in references to 'True Blood' and the Sookie Stackhouse books, LOTR movies and books and 'Game Of Thrones'. Oh, let's not forget the the ""trololo cat"" reference. Yes, memes... they name-drop memes, which are probably outdated by the time the book goes to print. I stand by my earlier assessment that they send the book to the publisher with ""[insert popular thing here]"" that gets filled the day before print.

They obviously don't care that these constant, irritating pop culture references completely botch the timeline. If you're late getting into the series — and by god! I urge you not to pick it up to begin with — and you read the books back to back, you will see just how these pop culture name-drops do nothing to benefit the story at all, and completely undermine any sense of time relativity. You see, 'Game of Thrones' wasn't out when the last book was released, and that book took place like a week or so before this one, and yet they've saved the whole season on DVR. Okay.

Im actually curious as to how they have a DVR considering the living arrangements...

The upside is, the editor wasn't a total bum. On the whole this book probably had the least mistakes, mispelling of Damien and ""what it is?"" (both on/around page 14) notwithstanding. All of the teenagers still talk like seven year-olds trying to mimick their older siblings, with all of their slang and crappy made-up words. I find it hard to know the difference between legitimately terrible spelling and grammar or legitimately terrible dialogue; are these mistakes or are the characters really talking like this?

All in all, if you like this series — and I suspect you might, considering this is the ninth book — you'll probably like it. I only continue read them because, I already started and I can't not finish. They are the guiltest of guilty pleasures and I literally despise myself for the time invested in reading them. I wish this series wasn't being milked, because the story up until this point could have been told in probably four books, not nine.

If you have read the series and, like me, have that nagging urge to finish it because you started it, I see nothing wrong with skipping this one altogether. Or, skimming the firt chapter then skipping to the last chapter.

I sincerely hope that the next one is the last one, because. I. Cannot. ( )
  rawrrbot | Sep 15, 2015 |
As riviting as the rest of the series. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
I'm really enjoying this series. I do wonder though why every book closes almost immediately after a big battle; it's just not necessary. I also feel like Zoey is getting more immature rather then mature. After 3 years of battling darkness I would think that she would at least be resigned to the fact that she's going to be leading the battle against darkness. ( )
  slsmitty25 | Feb 11, 2015 |

P. C. Castprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cast, Kristinmain authorall editionsconfirmed

The House of Night series is an international phenomenon, reaching #1 in the US, Germany and the UK, and remaining a fixture on the New York Times bestseller list for a whopping 120 weeks and counting. With nearly 12 million copies in print, rights sold in 35 countries to date, and relatable, addictive characters, this series is an unstoppable tour de force.

In Destined, the forces of Light and Dark collide as their epic struggle focuses on Tulsa's House of Night. Zoey is home where she belongs, safe with her Guardian Warrior, Stark, by her side - and preparing to face off against Neferet. Kalona has released his hold on Rephaim, and, through Nyx's gift of a human form, he and Stevie Rae are finally able to be together - if Rephaim can truly walk the path of the Goddess and stay free of his father's shadow.

But is Zoey really safe? Does she truly know those who are closest to her? And will love win when it is tested by the very soul of Darkness? Find out what's destined in the next thrilling chapter of the House of Night series.

"Zoey is finally home where she belongs, safe with her Guardian Warrior, Stark, by her side, and preparing to face off against Neferet - which would be a whole lot easier if the High Counsel saw the ex-High Priestess for what she really is. Kalona has released his hold on Rephaim, and, through Nyx's gift of a human form, Rephaim and Stevie Rae are finally able to be together - if he can truly walk the path of the Goddess and stay free of his father's shadow... But there are new forces at work at the House of Night. An influx of humans, including Lenobia's handsome horse whisperer, threatens their precarious stability. And then there's the mysterious Aurox, a jaw-droppingly gorgeous teen boy who is actually more - or possibly less - than human. Only Neferet knows he was created to be her greatest weapon. But Zoey can sense the part of his soul that remains human, the compassion that wars with his Dark calling. And there's something strangely familiar about him... Will Neferet's true nature be revealed before she succeeds in silencing them all? And will Zoey be able to touch Aurox's humanity in time to protect him - and everyone - from his own fate? Find out what's destined in the next thrilling chapter of the House of Night series"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,930,800 books! | Top bar: Always visible