Destined by P. C. Cast

English (24)  German (1)  All languages (25)
The 'House Of Night' books are like an episode of Jerry Springer; not at all mentally stimulating, you actually feel dumber for watching it, and yet — AND YET! — you can't bring yourself to change the channel; or in this case, stop reading.

Somehow this book manages to be quite long even though, nothing really happens. The entirety of this book can really have taken place in one chapter. The ""climax"" was completely obvious and not even vaguely surprising. I found that the best part about the entire thing was the secondary characters being given a little more depth, not that it's difficult, considering how flat they are to begin with. It's impossible to go into detail since any plot point is a spolier (considering nothing really happens).

Following trend, the author's manage to mention not only the iPhone (specifically, as if ""cell phone"" wasn't adequate enough) but also drop in references to 'True Blood' and the Sookie Stackhouse books, LOTR movies and books and 'Game Of Thrones'. Oh, let's not forget the the ""trololo cat"" reference. Yes, memes... they name-drop memes, which are probably outdated by the time the book goes to print. I stand by my earlier assessment that they send the book to the publisher with ""[insert popular thing here]"" that gets filled the day before print.

They obviously don't care that these constant, irritating pop culture references completely botch the timeline. If you're late getting into the series — and by god! I urge you not to pick it up to begin with — and you read the books back to back, you will see just how these pop culture name-drops do nothing to benefit the story at all, and completely undermine any sense of time relativity. You see, 'Game of Thrones' wasn't out when the last book was released, and that book took place like a week or so before this one, and yet they've saved the whole season on DVR. Okay.

Im actually curious as to how they have a DVR considering the living arrangements...

The upside is, the editor wasn't a total bum. On the whole this book probably had the least mistakes, mispelling of Damien and ""what it is?"" (both on/around page 14) notwithstanding. All of the teenagers still talk like seven year-olds trying to mimick their older siblings, with all of their slang and crappy made-up words. I find it hard to know the difference between legitimately terrible spelling and grammar or legitimately terrible dialogue; are these mistakes or are the characters really talking like this?

All in all, if you like this series — and I suspect you might, considering this is the ninth book — you'll probably like it. I only continue read them because, I already started and I can't not finish. They are the guiltest of guilty pleasures and I literally despise myself for the time invested in reading them. I wish this series wasn't being milked, because the story up until this point could have been told in probably four books, not nine.

If you have read the series and, like me, have that nagging urge to finish it because you started it, I see nothing wrong with skipping this one altogether. Or, skimming the firt chapter then skipping to the last chapter.

I sincerely hope that the next one is the last one, because. I. Cannot. ( )
  rawrrbot | Sep 15, 2015 |
As riviting as the rest of the series. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
I'm really enjoying this series. I do wonder though why every book closes almost immediately after a big battle; it's just not necessary. I also feel like Zoey is getting more immature rather then mature. After 3 years of battling darkness I would think that she would at least be resigned to the fact that she's going to be leading the battle against darkness. ( )
  slsmitty25 | Feb 11, 2015 |
I liked it much better than the other ones. They got sort of juvenile after the first couple. ( )
  readstolive | Sep 25, 2014 |
It had been so long since I read the series I didn't remember if I had read this one yet. but I realized I had but i'm glad I reread because I had forgotten some things. ( )
  Mommy.Reads.What | Jun 22, 2014 |

P. C. Castprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cast, Kristinmain authorall editionsconfirmed

The House of Night series is an international phenomenon, reaching #1 in the US, Germany and the UK, and remaining a fixture on the New York Times bestseller list for a whopping 120 weeks and counting. With nearly 12 million copies in print, rights sold in 35 countries to date, and relatable, addictive characters, this series is an unstoppable tour de force.

In Destined, the forces of Light and Dark collide as their epic struggle focuses on Tulsa's House of Night. Zoey is home where she belongs, safe with her Guardian Warrior, Stark, by her side - and preparing to face off against Neferet. Kalona has released his hold on Rephaim, and, through Nyx's gift of a human form, he and Stevie Rae are finally able to be together - if Rephaim can truly walk the path of the Goddess and stay free of his father's shadow.

But is Zoey really safe? Does she truly know those who are closest to her? And will love win when it is tested by the very soul of Darkness? Find out what's destined in the next thrilling chapter of the House of Night series.

"Zoey is finally home where she belongs, safe with her Guardian Warrior, Stark, by her side, and preparing to face off against Neferet - which would be a whole lot easier if the High Counsel saw the ex-High Priestess for what she really is. Kalona has released his hold on Rephaim, and, through Nyx's gift of a human form, Rephaim and Stevie Rae are finally able to be together - if he can truly walk the path of the Goddess and stay free of his father's shadow... But there are new forces at work at the House of Night. An influx of humans, including Lenobia's handsome horse whisperer, threatens their precarious stability. And then there's the mysterious Aurox, a jaw-droppingly gorgeous teen boy who is actually more - or possibly less - than human. Only Neferet knows he was created to be her greatest weapon. But Zoey can sense the part of his soul that remains human, the compassion that wars with his Dark calling. And there's something strangely familiar about him... Will Neferet's true nature be revealed before she succeeds in silencing them all? And will Zoey be able to touch Aurox's humanity in time to protect him - and everyone - from his own fate? Find out what's destined in the next thrilling chapter of the House of Night series"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,778,223 books! | Top bar: Always visible