Young Fredle by Cynthia Voigt

Young Fredle

by Cynthia Voigt

Recently added bylinzy, RachelMck, private library, writercity, samanthawarren, culbertsonne, janillabean

Summary: Fredle is a young house mouse who has lived in the pantry his whole life. He is used to losing other mice in the house, but is taught that once they are gone, he must forget them right away. I think he fears this happening to himself. One day, Fredle breaks the rules and eats a very large amount of chocolate which gets him shunned by the mice community he lives in. A nice human finds him and instead of killing him, puts him in the new, large and scary world outside. He is scared and alone in a whole new world. He meets these field mice and learns that they are completely different than the mice he lived with his entire life. He learns to fend for himself and finds a new peace in his life. He creates new friendships with mice that he used to think were disgusting and realizes what life is really about.
Genre: Fantasy
Review: For the first Library Explore Assignment, I went to Powell's and this was one of the books I discovered that I had mentioned. I ended up buying this book for my little sister, but before I gave it to her, I read it. I have read her book, "Homecoming", and loved her writing so I couldn't resist reading another one of her books. This book would be great in the classroom because a lot of children go through similar things like switching schools or moving cities. It's one of those things that is hard to adapt to at first, but always turns out well in the end.
  mroque | Jun 6, 2014 |
I really loved this book. Fredle is an engaging character who grows from a timid kitchen mouse to an adventurer and learns about "the outside", friendship, family, and beauty. ( )
  Tina_Ervin | Jun 3, 2014 |
Fredle is a kitchen mouse. He lives in the nest behind the wall with his extended family, and together they forage in the kitchen and pantry for food every night. The mice live by rules and routines, and any mouse too old or too sick to forage is pushed out of the nest. Fredle expects to live his entire life in the nest, and so he would have, had it not been for an unfortunate encounter with a peppermint patty. The candy is the best thing Fredle has ever tasted, but the chocolate makes him sick -- not sick enough to die, but sick enough that the other mice push him out of the nest onto the pantry floor, where the lady of the house discovers him. Too tenderhearted to just put the cat in to deal with him, she puts Fredle outside -- and thus begins an adventure with field mice and raccoons, snakes and hawks, dogs and chickens, as Fredle tries to get back inside to his home and family. The journey is an eye-opening one for Fredle as he learns about different ways of living and discovers that some of the things he has always been taught are not true at all. Will Fredle find a way home again . . . or will he choose to make a new home for himself?

In reading (or rather, listening to) this story, I was struck by how Fredle's voyage resembles Joseph Campbell's Hero's Journey in many ways. Though he doesn't precisely choose to leave the nest, Fredle does choose to follow the enticing scent of the candy that causes his eventual expulsion, and from there he does meet helpers and face challenges as he attempts to return home. The writing in the story is fairly strong, and Fredle's character, with its defining trait of curiosity, is well-developed. Many of the secondary characters are also strong and interesting in their own right. I listened to the audiobook narrated by Wendy Carter, who does a very nice job of voicing the wide variety of characters Fredle meets.

I'm always bemused at the number of juvenile chapter books that feature mice, but this is a worthy addition to their ranks, one that I will recommend to fans of Beverly Cleary's Ralph and Avi's Poppy. ( )
  foggidawn | Dec 12, 2013 |
Listened to Listening Library audio edition narrated by Wendy Carter.

Carter's narration was excellent - different voices for each of the characters and good capturing of the emotions in any given situation. The story had me captivated throughout - the secret world of mice and the ways different tribes live were well thought out and interesting. Fredle was a believable well-rounded character with faults, weaknesses and strengths that rang true and influenced the sequence of events believably.

Grabbed a copy of the book to take a look at Louise Yates' spot illustrations. They're cute and add a little to the story, but I don't feel like I missed anything by listening instead of reading. The placement of the illustrations seemed carefully chosen and I particularly liked the illustration of the snake. ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |
Fredle is a kitchen mouse - all his life he has lived behind the pantry with his family, following the mouse rules. One day, Fredle is sick and is pushed out of his nest...instead of being "went" like he expected, he is carried out of the house by Mrs. Now he must figure out how to survive outside, where the outside mice live by very different rules than he had inside. On his adventure back home, Fredle outwits a cat, befriends one of the dogs, meets numerous mice and escapes from a band of raccoons. Unfortunately when Fredle returns home, he finds it different than when he left...or maybe it is him that has changed.

Good coming of age story, but too much mouse for me...it seemed flat. ( )
  agrudzien | Jan 4, 2013 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375864571, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, January 2011: Award-winning author Cynthia Voigt's brave little mouse, Fredle, embarks on a remarkable journey of self discovery after he is pushed out of the house and must go it alone in the great outdoors. Fredle's whole world is new and its strangeness is both terrifying and thrilling. With courage and the help of some field mice, Fredle quickly learns that he is capable of adapting to his new circumstances and relishes the beauty of the stars, the taste of water from a blade of grass, and his freedom. When Fredle makes his way back into the house, he has learned to see opportunity instead of challenges and realizes he has his own definition of home.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:50 -0400)

Fredle, a young mouse cast out of his home, faces dangers and predators outside, makes some important discoveries and allies, and learns the meaning of freedom as he struggles to return home.

19 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,390,265 books! | Top bar: Always visible