The Wonder Spot by Melissa Bank

The Wonder Spot (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Melissa Bank

Member:tinydevastation
Title:The Wonder Spot
Authors:Melissa Bank
Info:Viking Adult (2005), Edition: 1ST, Hardcover, 336 pages

The Wonder Spot by Melissa Bank (2005)

I thought the story felt disjointed and I was disappointed in the ending. The only character to exhibit real change did so as a result of stroke. Too bad strokes aren't contagious, perhaps I would have liked the book better. Maybe I'll read it again after I have a stroke. ( )
  SMBrick | Feb 25, 2018 |
I enjoyed Banks' first book, "The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing," and was hoping for more of the same with this follow-up. It was more "Jew-y" than I anticipated, though. But, it was a quick airplane read. I think I "donated to the book" to a coffee shop in London. ( )
  DBrigandi | Jul 3, 2017 |
  DBrigandi | Jul 3, 2017 |
This is really a collection of short stories with one central character, but entertaining nonetheless. I appreciate the author's sense of whimsy and wit. An enjoyable read. ( )
  ChrisWay | Jul 5, 2016 |
Melissa Bank is one of my favorite authors; I love her writing style and her subjects. However, her second book is almost too similar to her first book, without being a continuation or companion volume. She still stands out as a great writer but I hope she will show more variety with future books. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
You could tell it was going to be a perfect beach day, maybe the best one all summer, maybe the last one of our wavaction, and we were going to spend it at my cousin's bat mitzvah in Chappaqua, New York.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0143037218, Paperback)

Six years after her amazingly successful debut, The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing, Melissa Bank rewards her fans for their patience with The Wonder Spot, a refreshingly honest interpretation of one young woman's journey into adulthood. As we follow heroine Sophie Applebaum through a comfortable, yet awkward childhood in suburban Pennsylvania to the challenges of finding love and a career in midtown Manhattan, The Wonder Spot is never guilty of the self-indulgent traps set by other members of the Chick Lit genre Bank helped launch.

We first meet the Applebaum clan on their way to cousin Rebecca's bat mitzvah in Chappaqua, New York, where Sophie ends up sneaking cigarettes in the woods with a handsome eighth grader one year her senior. Yet even this minor rebellion is more charming than anything else; as with most of her future transgressions, Sophie is less the instigator than the innocent witness. Defining moments in Sophie's life are revealed through her relationships: an almost mythical college roommate named Venice; her charismatic yet capricious older brother; her brilliant younger brother; her unpenetrable father; and her hilarious grandmother, who takes it upon herself to save her "Sophila" from "impending spinsterhood." Of course no real journey into young womanhood is complete without a series of committment phobic, potentially deliquent, overly nice men whose appearances seem less about love than about demonstrating our heroine's inability to ever truly be comfortable with herself. As Sophie observes during a seventh grade skating party, "I felt sure that everyone was looking at me and then realized that no one was, and i experienced the distinct shame of each."

Undeniably clever, occasionally hilarious, and often poignant, The Wonder Spot is captivating enough for readers to forgive Sophie's indecisive, self-destructive tendancies and simply bask in her sincerity. --Gisele Toueg

Wonder Woman: An Amazon.com Interview with Melissa Bank

Melissa Bank's bestselling 1999 debut, The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing, took readers by storm and heralded the wave of Chick Lit to follow in its wake. Bank is back with her new book, The Wonder Spot, a series of interconnected stories chronicling the bittersweet misadventures of middle-child Sophie Applebaum, from adolescence to adulthood. Amazon.com senior editor Brad Thomas Parsons exchanged e-mail with Bank to talk about writer's block, Curtis Sittenfeld's very public take-down in the Sunday Times, and the dreaded "c" word--Chick Lit.

Read our Amazon.com interview with Melissa Bank

Wonder Woman: An Amazon.com Interview with Melissa Bank

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:42 -0400)

"Nothing comes easily to Sophie Applebaum, the black sheep of her family trying to blend in with the herd. Uneasily situated between two brothers, Sophie first appears as the fulcrum and observer of her clan in "Boss of the World." Then, at college, in "The Toy Bar," she faces a gauntlet of challenges as best friend to the dramatic and beautiful Venice Lambourne, curator of "perfect things." In her early twenties, Sophie is dazzled by the possibilities of New York City during the Selectric typewriter era - only to land solidly back in Surrey, Pennsylvania, after her father's death." "The Wonder Spot follows Sophie's quest for her own identity - who she is, what she loves, whom she loves, and occasionally whom she feels others should love - over the course of twenty-five years."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,423,281 books! | Top bar: Always visible