Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

Oryx and Crake (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Margaret Atwood

11,365327244 (3.96)2 / 974
Member:souvenirkattunge
Title:Oryx and Crake
Authors:Margaret Atwood
Info:Anchor (2004), Paperback, 376 pages

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (2003)

Brave New World & Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley (daby)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (andja)
    The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood (haeji, lahni)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (readerbabe1984)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (smiteme)
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (PghDragonMan)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (goodiegoodie)
    The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by Stephen King (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: What happens when the experiment is unleashed?
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (Oct326, goodiegoodie)
    Oct326: Both post-apocalyptic novels, Atwood's one is satyric and sarcastic, and skilfully projects some trends of current society in a not-too-far future, suggesting that they can lead us to catastrophe; while Miller's one is very sad, even tragic, deeply pessimistic about humanity, which it describes as inherently stupid and evil, and inevitably bound to repeat its mistakes and destroy itself.… (more)
    Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (sturlington)
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (Valari2)
    Valari2: It's another take of where the future might take us.
    The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells (mcenroeucsb)
    Pure by Julianna Baggott (eenerd)
    Make Room! Make Room! by Harry Harrison (schmindie_kid)
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (themephi)
    Spin by Robert Charles Wilson (limerts)
    limerts: A common theme of humanity destroying itself.
    Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang by Kate Wilhelm (sturlington)
    The Testament of Jessie Lamb by Jane Rogers (wonderlake)
    Next by Michael Crichton (mcenroeucsb)
    Gray Matters by William Hjortsberg (hoddybook)

English (318)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (2)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (327)
barely started and couldn't finish it. enough with the dystopia; already living it in this economic crisis ridden land. donated the book to a library. ( )
  amaraki | May 22, 2015 |
Blech. Melancholy as all of her work is. This follows the whiny Snowman, one of the last humans it seems that survived the apocalypse. He watches the "new humans" who were genetically engineered and survived. It flashes back to before the apocalypse, but he was a minor character in all that was created and so it's frustrating because we don't know what happened, because he was too selfish and self-indulgent to investigate it. ( )
  trinityM82 | Apr 18, 2015 |
Is it speculative fiction or science fiction? I don't care; this book is a masterpiece of post-Apocalyptic and dystopic worlds created by Atwood. I loved this book, although I almost hated turning the pages, expecting to see worse and worse, and it's true- it never gets better; but the prose and Atwood's ability to interpret and critique current and future destructive behaviors by our culture is outstanding, not to mention her sheer ability to play with words and get to the root of so many issues. Highly recommended for everyone; might especially appeal to those into science fiction, but I recommend it for everyone. ( )
  belgrade18 | Apr 8, 2015 |
well-written science fiction morality play. nothing spectacular but Atwood delivers believable and interesting characters and scenarios that challenge beliefs and ideas ingrained. the present tense is used to good effect to separate it from the flashbacks that Snowman, the protagonist, entertains. semi-satirical, the book also does not dumb down the story with exposition or hokey explanations. it let's you find out for yourself. like great literature, it asks big questions, it doesn't answer them. ( )
  keebrook | Mar 10, 2015 |
Snowman is possibly the last human left, though he isn't alone. He's the caretaker of a group of human-like creatures who have sun-resistant skin, who have been bred to need no love, war or religion. But through Snowman's stories, they are in awe of Crake, their maker. They also give thanks to Oryx, the woman who gave them the animals.
Snowman was once a man named Jimmy, and Oryx was a victim of child trafficking who eventually became Jimmy's girlfriend. Crake was Jimmy's friend since childhood, when they grew up in the same compound. Crake had always made Jimmy feel inferior, and as they grew older and went into different careers, Jimmy saw that Crake was a genius rising to the top of his science compounds, but Jimmy knew that Crake had less of a conscious than he let on. Dystopian and scary, yet a memoir of a life too. ( )
  mstrust | Feb 25, 2015 |
Oryx and Crake is a piece of dystopian fiction written from the point of Snowman (known as Jimmy in his former life) – the last human left on Earth. At least, he believes he’s the last human left on Earth until the end of the book.

I found the parts of the book describing Snowman’s journey to Paradice (the dome in the compound where Crake did his work) to be a lot less interesting than his recollections of his previous life as Jimmy. I loved reading about how Jimmy and Crake met, the little signs that Crake gave off as to what he might be planning and the direction his thoughts might take in the future (though Jimmy didn’t recognize these until it was too late), etc.

Crake is really the star of the show in this book in my mind – Jimmy simply acts as a vessel for us to learn about a character who is dead and who therefore cannot teach us about himself.

Snowman’s adventures in real time seem almost pointless to me. Why not dedicate the whole book to Jimmy’s friendship with Crake, with just a bit of general explanation as to what’s going on now? I think the present would have been much more interesting if the Crakers were explored more than Jimmy’s struggle to survive and come to grips with what Crake had done.

On the whole, however, I thought it was a great book.

Set sometime in the future, this post-apocalyptic novel takes scientific research in the hands of madmen to its logical and frightening conclusion. Inspiring readers to pay more attention to the world around them, Atwood offers cautionary notes about the environment, bioengineering, the sacrifice of civil liberties, and the possible loss of those human values which make life more than just a physical experience. As the novel opens, some catastrophe has occurred, effectively wiping out human life. Only one lonely survivor and a handful of genetically altered humanoids remain, and they are slowly starving as they try to adjust to their changed circumstances.
added by stephmo | editMostly Fiction, Mary Whipple (May 28, 2004)

In Margaret Atwood's first attempt at writing a novel, the main character was an ant swept downriver on a raft. She abandoned that book after the opening scene and became caught up in other activities, which she has described as ''sissy stuff like knitting and dresses and stuffed bunnies.'' That certainly does not sound like Ms. Atwood, who is known for the boldness of her fiction. Of course she was only 7 at the time.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Mel Gussow (Jun 24, 2003)

Margaret Atwood has always taken a jaundiced view of human nature. Back when her mordant observations about marriage and other relations between the sexes had her marked down as a feminist, she took pains to fire off several novels in a row featuring weak, manipulative, dishonest and outright bad women, partly to prove that her skepticism was distributed fairly. She has always been of the opinion that people are a mixed bag of the occasionally decent and the frequently mendacious and that there's not much anyone can do to change that fact.
added by stephmo | editSalon.com, Laura Miller (May 27, 2003)

Genetic tinkering. Rampant profiteering. A deadly virus that sweeps the globe. Are these last Tuesday's headlines or our future?

In Margaret Atwood's novel Oryx and Crake, the answer is both. For Atwood, our future is the catastrophic sum of our oversights. It's a depressing view, saved only by Atwood's biting, black humor and absorbing storytelling.
added by stephmo | editUSA Today, Jackie Pray (May 26, 2003)

Margaret Atwoodprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davids, TinkeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Drews, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scott, CampbellNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I could perhaps like others have astonished you
with strange improbable tales; but I rather chose to relate plain matters of fact in the simplest manner and style; because my principal design was to inform you, and not to amuse you.
- Jonathan Swift, Gulliver's Travels
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower in the air?
- Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse
For my family
Snowman wakes before dawn.
If he wants to be an asshole, it's a free country. Millions before him have made the same life choice.
Crake had worked for years on the purring. Once he'd discovered that the cat family purred at the same frequency as the ultrasound used on bone fractures and skin lesions and were thus equipped with their own self-healing mechanism, he'd turned himself inside out in the attempt to install the feature.
So Crake never remembered his dreams. It's Snowman that remembers them instead. Worse than remembers: he's immersed in them, he's wading through them, he's stuck in them. Every moment he's lived in the past few months was dreamed first by Crake. No wonder Crake screamed so much.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385721676, Paperback)

In Oryx and Crake, a science fiction novel that is more Swift than Heinlein, more cautionary tale than "fictional science" (no flying cars here), Margaret Atwood depicts a near-future world that turns from the merely horrible to the horrific, from a fool's paradise to a bio-wasteland. Snowman (a man once known as Jimmy) sleeps in a tree and just might be the only human left on our devastated planet. He is not entirely alone, however, as he considers himself the shepherd of a group of experimental, human-like creatures called the Children of Crake. As he scavenges and tends to his insect bites, Snowman recalls in flashbacks how the world fell apart.

While the story begins with a rather ponderous set-up of what has become a clichéd landscape of the human endgame, littered with smashed computers and abandoned buildings, it takes on life when Snowman recalls his boyhood meeting with his best friend Crake: "Crake had a thing about him even then.... He generated awe ... in his dark laconic clothing." A dangerous genius, Crake is the book's most intriguing character. Crake and Jimmy live with all the other smart, rich people in the Compounds--gated company towns owned by biotech corporations. (Ordinary folks are kept outside the gates in the chaotic "pleeblands.") Meanwhile, beautiful Oryx, raised as a child prostitute in Southeast Asia, finds her way to the West and meets Crake and Jimmy, setting up an inevitable love triangle. Eventually Crake's experiments in bioengineering cause humanity's shockingly quick demise (with uncanny echoes of SARS, ebola, and mad cow disease), leaving Snowman to try to pick up the pieces. There are a few speed bumps along the way, including some clunky dialogue and heavy-handed symbols such as Snowman's broken watch, but once the bleak narrative gets moving, as Snowman sets out in search of the laboratory that seeded the world's destruction, it clips along at a good pace, with a healthy dose of wry humor. --Mark Frutkin, Amazon.ca

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:16 -0400)

With the same stunning blend of prophecy and social satire she brought to her classic The Handmaid's Tale, Margaret Atwood gives us a keenly prescient novel about the future of humanity-and its present. Humanity here equals Snowman, and in Snowman's recollections Atwood re-creates a time much like our own, when a boy named Jimmy loved an elusive, damaged girl called Oryx and a sardonic genius called Crake. But now Snowman is alone, and as we learn why we also learn about a world that could become ours one day.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,855,414 books! | Top bar: Always visible