Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

Oryx and Crake (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Margaret Atwood

12,458391195 (3.96)2 / 1034
Member:exfed
Title:Oryx and Crake
Authors:Margaret Atwood
Info:Anchor (2004), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 376 pages

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (2003)

Recently added byRena37, skmcgonegal, Konkelwutz, hevabean, rosestroh, nams55, honeybee555, private library
    Brave New World & Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley (daby)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (andja)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (smiteme)
    The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood (haeji, lahni)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (readerbabe1984)
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (PghDragonMan)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (goodiegoodie)
    The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by Stephen King (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: What happens when the experiment is unleashed?
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (Oct326, goodiegoodie)
    Oct326: Both post-apocalyptic novels, Atwood's one is satyric and sarcastic, and skilfully projects some trends of current society in a not-too-far future, suggesting that they can lead us to catastrophe; while Miller's one is very sad, even tragic, deeply pessimistic about humanity, which it describes as inherently stupid and evil, and inevitably bound to repeat its mistakes and destroy itself.… (more)
    1984 by George Orwell (Valari2)
    Valari2: It's another take of where the future might take us.
    The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells (mcenroeucsb)
    MaddAddam by Margaret Atwood (Philosofiction)
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (themephi)
    Pure by Julianna Baggott (eenerd)
    Johnny Mnemonic by William Gibson (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Add Drug Companies next to The Government of people to run from when they say "I'm from ______ and I'm here to help you"
    Spin by Robert Charles Wilson (limerts)
    limerts: A common theme of humanity destroying itself.
    Make Room! Make Room! by Harry Harrison (schmindie_kid)
    The Companions by Sheri S. Tepper (espertus)
    Far North by Marcel Theroux (julie10reads)
    The Testament of Jessie Lamb by Jane Rogers (wonderlake)

English (381)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (2)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All (391)
Tedious and grating. I trudged through, having heard such great things about this book, yet was disappointed beginning to end. ( )
  LaPhenix | Mar 21, 2017 |
Hugely depressing end-of-the world story, told--or more accurately remembered--by a narrator who isn't all there and whose past torments him. The backstory is revealed incrementally in flashbacks, each one filling in a little more detail, and comes to a head when the narrator returns to the place that it happened. I found it easy to stay interested in, but in truth, not much happens--aside from the world ending. The backstory is driven by genetic engineering run amok, and eventually explains how the narrator came to be in the situation he's in, and who the other characters are. Finally he discovers there are others like him--at least a few--but what should be a huge turning point in the narrative is left as an open ending. That open ending is understandable as this is part one of a trilogy, but it makes for a book that is ultimately unsatisfying. ( )
  unclebob53703 | Mar 7, 2017 |
I couldn't get into it, and didn't finish it.
  Maggie.Chavarria | Mar 6, 2017 |
I still haven't read the rest of the trilogy, but on a second read, armed with a pencil, I was much more engrossed in the story than I remember being the first time through. It's definitely worth a first and second read.

June 4, 2012 Review:
Highly recommended by several people, Oryx and Crake was my first Atwood novel. It was certainly not what I expected. The eco-dystopian story is narrated by Snowman, who thinks he is the last surviving non-genetically engineered human in a world without war, racism, or sexual frustration--but also without science, art, or love. The human species has been reduced to a utilitarian animal, constructed by splicing together all of the best adaptations in nature. The timeline shifts from the present post-apocalyptic world to the not-quite-as-horrible-but-already-destroying-itself world of Snowman's early life as Jimmy, best friend of the titular Crake, with occasional narration temporally situated between the two converging stories to reflect on how he came to know his (and Crake's) beloved Oryx.

I think it was very well-done. Oryx and Crake is the first installment of the MaddAddam Trilogy, and as such, it didn't give me enough closure to earn five stars standing alone, but I definitely plan to keep reading. ( )
  StefanieBrookTrout | Feb 4, 2017 |
Although there were spots of brilliance in this book, I found it mostly boring and hard to continue listening to. The naming of things and people was odd, not really in sync with each other -- for instance, New New York when other cities had their normal known names. Contrived, and to what end? The very general premise of the story was fine and perhaps plausible. Nothing about this book grabbed me. Oryx, a female character, seemed more like a mist than a person; she was strangely inhuman. She was supposed to be human. The Crakers were fun, interesting, but not believable, to me. Crake seemed like the most realistic character.

Throughout the book, the reader was told Snowman was the only human left on earth. Even in apocalyptic situations, there's no way to know such a thing, so it rang shallow and dramatic. The story vascillated between present(future really) and past, pre- and post-apocalypse, if you will -- before and after a massive plague. I did like the ending -- it left room for a sequel, assuming the original was any good, and I wouldn't read a sequel. The story could make an interesting movie as there is plenty of fodder for visual effects. ( )
  Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |
Oryx and Crake is a piece of dystopian fiction written from the point of Snowman (known as Jimmy in his former life) – the last human left on Earth. At least, he believes he’s the last human left on Earth until the end of the book.

I found the parts of the book describing Snowman’s journey to Paradice (the dome in the compound where Crake did his work) to be a lot less interesting than his recollections of his previous life as Jimmy. I loved reading about how Jimmy and Crake met, the little signs that Crake gave off as to what he might be planning and the direction his thoughts might take in the future (though Jimmy didn’t recognize these until it was too late), etc.

Crake is really the star of the show in this book in my mind – Jimmy simply acts as a vessel for us to learn about a character who is dead and who therefore cannot teach us about himself.

Snowman’s adventures in real time seem almost pointless to me. Why not dedicate the whole book to Jimmy’s friendship with Crake, with just a bit of general explanation as to what’s going on now? I think the present would have been much more interesting if the Crakers were explored more than Jimmy’s struggle to survive and come to grips with what Crake had done.

On the whole, however, I thought it was a great book.

Set sometime in the future, this post-apocalyptic novel takes scientific research in the hands of madmen to its logical and frightening conclusion. Inspiring readers to pay more attention to the world around them, Atwood offers cautionary notes about the environment, bioengineering, the sacrifice of civil liberties, and the possible loss of those human values which make life more than just a physical experience. As the novel opens, some catastrophe has occurred, effectively wiping out human life. Only one lonely survivor and a handful of genetically altered humanoids remain, and they are slowly starving as they try to adjust to their changed circumstances.
added by stephmo | editMostly Fiction, Mary Whipple (May 28, 2004)

In Margaret Atwood's first attempt at writing a novel, the main character was an ant swept downriver on a raft. She abandoned that book after the opening scene and became caught up in other activities, which she has described as ''sissy stuff like knitting and dresses and stuffed bunnies.'' That certainly does not sound like Ms. Atwood, who is known for the boldness of her fiction. Of course she was only 7 at the time.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Mel Gussow (Jun 24, 2003)

Margaret Atwood has always taken a jaundiced view of human nature. Back when her mordant observations about marriage and other relations between the sexes had her marked down as a feminist, she took pains to fire off several novels in a row featuring weak, manipulative, dishonest and outright bad women, partly to prove that her skepticism was distributed fairly. She has always been of the opinion that people are a mixed bag of the occasionally decent and the frequently mendacious and that there's not much anyone can do to change that fact.
added by stephmo | editSalon.com, Laura Miller (May 27, 2003)

Genetic tinkering. Rampant profiteering. A deadly virus that sweeps the globe. Are these last Tuesday's headlines or our future?

In Margaret Atwood's novel Oryx and Crake, the answer is both. For Atwood, our future is the catastrophic sum of our oversights. It's a depressing view, saved only by Atwood's biting, black humor and absorbing storytelling.
added by stephmo | editUSA Today, Jackie Pray (May 26, 2003)

Margaret Atwoodprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chancer, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davids, TinkeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Drews, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scott, CampbellNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I could perhaps like others have astonished you
with strange improbable tales; but I rather chose to relate plain matters of fact in the simplest manner and style; because my principal design was to inform you, and not to amuse you.
- Jonathan Swift, Gulliver's Travels
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower in the air?
- Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse
For my family
Snowman wakes before dawn.
If he wants to be an asshole, it's a free country. Millions before him have made the same life choice.
Crake had worked for years on the purring. Once he'd discovered that the cat family purred at the same frequency as the ultrasound used on bone fractures and skin lesions and were thus equipped with their own self-healing mechanism, he'd turned himself inside out in the attempt to install the feature.
So Crake never remembered his dreams. It's Snowman that remembers them instead. Worse than remembers: he's immersed in them, he's wading through them, he's stuck in them. Every moment he's lived in the past few months was dreamed first by Crake. No wonder Crake screamed so much.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385721676, Paperback)

In Oryx and Crake, a science fiction novel that is more Swift than Heinlein, more cautionary tale than "fictional science" (no flying cars here), Margaret Atwood depicts a near-future world that turns from the merely horrible to the horrific, from a fool's paradise to a bio-wasteland. Snowman (a man once known as Jimmy) sleeps in a tree and just might be the only human left on our devastated planet. He is not entirely alone, however, as he considers himself the shepherd of a group of experimental, human-like creatures called the Children of Crake. As he scavenges and tends to his insect bites, Snowman recalls in flashbacks how the world fell apart.

While the story begins with a rather ponderous set-up of what has become a clichéd landscape of the human endgame, littered with smashed computers and abandoned buildings, it takes on life when Snowman recalls his boyhood meeting with his best friend Crake: "Crake had a thing about him even then.... He generated awe ... in his dark laconic clothing." A dangerous genius, Crake is the book's most intriguing character. Crake and Jimmy live with all the other smart, rich people in the Compounds--gated company towns owned by biotech corporations. (Ordinary folks are kept outside the gates in the chaotic "pleeblands.") Meanwhile, beautiful Oryx, raised as a child prostitute in Southeast Asia, finds her way to the West and meets Crake and Jimmy, setting up an inevitable love triangle. Eventually Crake's experiments in bioengineering cause humanity's shockingly quick demise (with uncanny echoes of SARS, ebola, and mad cow disease), leaving Snowman to try to pick up the pieces. There are a few speed bumps along the way, including some clunky dialogue and heavy-handed symbols such as Snowman's broken watch, but once the bleak narrative gets moving, as Snowman sets out in search of the laboratory that seeded the world's destruction, it clips along at a good pace, with a healthy dose of wry humor. --Mark Frutkin, Amazon.ca

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:58 -0400)

With the same stunning blend of prophecy and social satire she brought to her classic The Handmaid's Tale, Margaret Atwood gives us a keenly prescient novel about the future of humanity-and its present. Humanity here equals Snowman, and in Snowman's recollections Atwood re-creates a time much like our own, when a boy named Jimmy loved an elusive, damaged girl called Oryx and a sardonic genius called Crake. But now Snowman is alone, and as we learn why we also learn about a world that could become ours one day. "Oryx and Crake is at once an unforgettable love story and a compelling vision of the future. Snowman, known as Jimmy before mankind was overwhelmed by a plague, is struggling to survive in a world where he may be the last human, and mourning the loss of his best friend, Crake, and the beautiful and elusive Oryx whom they both loved. In search of answers, Snowman embarks on a journey--with the help of the green-eyed Children of Crake--through the lush wilderness that was so recently a great city, until powerful corporations took mankind on an uncontrolled genetic engineering ride. Margaret Atwood projects us into a near future that is both all too familiar and beyond our imagining."--Back cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,798,184 books! | Top bar: Always visible