Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

Oryx and Crake (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Margaret Atwood

11,070317253 (3.96)2 / 937
Member:patito-de-hule
Title:Oryx and Crake
Authors:Margaret Atwood
Info:Anchor (2004), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 376 pages

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (2003)

Brave New World & Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley (daby)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (andja)
    The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood (haeji, lahni)
    The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (smiteme)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (readerbabe1984)
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (PghDragonMan)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (goodiegoodie)
    The Stand by Stephen King (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: What happens when the experiment is unleashed?
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (Oct326, goodiegoodie)
    Oct326: Both post-apocalyptic novels, Atwood's one is satyric and sarcastic, and skilfully projects some trends of current society in a not-too-far future, suggesting that they can lead us to catastrophe; while Miller's one is very sad, even tragic, deeply pessimistic about humanity, which it describes as inherently stupid and evil, and inevitably bound to repeat its mistakes and destroy itself.… (more)
    Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (sturlington)
    The Island of Doctor Moreau by H. G. Wells (mcenroeucsb)
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (Valari2)
    Valari2: It's another take of where the future might take us.
    Pure by Julianna Baggott (eenerd)
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (themephi)
    Make Room! Make Room! by Harry Harrison (schmindie_kid)
    Spin by Robert Charles Wilson (limerts)
    limerts: A common theme of humanity destroying itself.
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (mcenroeucsb)
    The Testament of Jessie Lamb by Jane Rogers (wonderlake)
    Far North by Marcel Theroux (julie10reads)
    The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell (sturlington)

English (308)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (2)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (317)
This is a very dark but worth reading series. The dystopian elements of the story reflect a touch to close to our current American society for comfort.

This first book is in my opinion the darkest. The characters are bizarre in a very interesting way, in fact they could be funny if they weren't so horrifyingly depressing.

Keep reading, this series is some of the best science fiction I've ever read and by far Atwood's best writing. ( )
  RobinWebster | Nov 28, 2014 |
Margaret Atwood is a very creative and diverse talent. Oryx and Crake is part of a trilogy that deals with a post apocalypse world caused by a pandemic. It is told in flash backs. I read the 2nd novel(The Year of the Flood) 1st. I enjoyed it but I like this one better. I definitely recommend reading them in order. The 3rd part just came out(MadAdam) and I will read that. The book combines so many issues that we are dealing with now with Ebola, Global warming etc. It deals with genetic engineering and the economic gaps between rich and poor. I don't want to give away too much of the plot, but this is a great book. Read it!!! ( )
  nivramkoorb | Oct 29, 2014 |
Ugh ( )
1 vote DebPogue | Oct 11, 2014 |
After taking more than half the book to actually get into this story, I ended up really liking the MaddAddam world. I won't say love, because it took me too long to even decide if I liked it or not. I read the last page before even realizing it was the last page and my reaction was, "That's it?!? I need the second book!" ( )
  trishaj | Oct 7, 2014 |
I borrowed this from my library as an audiobook and man oh man did this restore my love for listening to books. When I get time and my TBR gets shorter I'm absolutely checking this out and reading it myself. ( )
  strongasanoak | Sep 25, 2014 |
Oryx and Crake is a piece of dystopian fiction written from the point of Snowman (known as Jimmy in his former life) – the last human left on Earth. At least, he believes he’s the last human left on Earth until the end of the book.

I found the parts of the book describing Snowman’s journey to Paradice (the dome in the compound where Crake did his work) to be a lot less interesting than his recollections of his previous life as Jimmy. I loved reading about how Jimmy and Crake met, the little signs that Crake gave off as to what he might be planning and the direction his thoughts might take in the future (though Jimmy didn’t recognize these until it was too late), etc.

Crake is really the star of the show in this book in my mind – Jimmy simply acts as a vessel for us to learn about a character who is dead and who therefore cannot teach us about himself.

Snowman’s adventures in real time seem almost pointless to me. Why not dedicate the whole book to Jimmy’s friendship with Crake, with just a bit of general explanation as to what’s going on now? I think the present would have been much more interesting if the Crakers were explored more than Jimmy’s struggle to survive and come to grips with what Crake had done.

On the whole, however, I thought it was a great book.

Set sometime in the future, this post-apocalyptic novel takes scientific research in the hands of madmen to its logical and frightening conclusion. Inspiring readers to pay more attention to the world around them, Atwood offers cautionary notes about the environment, bioengineering, the sacrifice of civil liberties, and the possible loss of those human values which make life more than just a physical experience. As the novel opens, some catastrophe has occurred, effectively wiping out human life. Only one lonely survivor and a handful of genetically altered humanoids remain, and they are slowly starving as they try to adjust to their changed circumstances.
added by stephmo | editMostly Fiction, Mary Whipple (May 28, 2004)

In Margaret Atwood's first attempt at writing a novel, the main character was an ant swept downriver on a raft. She abandoned that book after the opening scene and became caught up in other activities, which she has described as ''sissy stuff like knitting and dresses and stuffed bunnies.'' That certainly does not sound like Ms. Atwood, who is known for the boldness of her fiction. Of course she was only 7 at the time.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Mel Gussow (Jun 24, 2003)

Margaret Atwood has always taken a jaundiced view of human nature. Back when her mordant observations about marriage and other relations between the sexes had her marked down as a feminist, she took pains to fire off several novels in a row featuring weak, manipulative, dishonest and outright bad women, partly to prove that her skepticism was distributed fairly. She has always been of the opinion that people are a mixed bag of the occasionally decent and the frequently mendacious and that there's not much anyone can do to change that fact.
added by stephmo | editSalon.com, Laura Miller (May 27, 2003)

Genetic tinkering. Rampant profiteering. A deadly virus that sweeps the globe. Are these last Tuesday's headlines or our future?

In Margaret Atwood's novel Oryx and Crake, the answer is both. For Atwood, our future is the catastrophic sum of our oversights. It's a depressing view, saved only by Atwood's biting, black humor and absorbing storytelling.
added by stephmo | editUSA Today, Jackie Pray (May 26, 2003)

Margaret Atwoodprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davids, TinkeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Drews, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scott, CampbellNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I could perhaps like others have astonished you
with strange improbable tales; but I rather chose to relate plain matters of fact in the simplest manner and style; because my principal design was to inform you, and not to amuse you.
- Jonathan Swift, Gulliver's Travels
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower in the air?
- Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse
For my family
Snowman wakes before dawn.
If he wants to be an asshole, it's a free country. Millions before him have made the same life choice.
Crake had worked for years on the purring. Once he'd discovered that the cat family purred at the same frequency as the ultrasound used on bone fractures and skin lesions and were thus equipped with their own self-healing mechanism, he'd turned himself inside out in the attempt to install the feature.
So Crake never remembered his dreams. It's Snowman that remembers them instead. Worse than remembers: he's immersed in them, he's wading through them, he's stuck in them. Every moment he's lived in the past few months was dreamed first by Crake. No wonder Crake screamed so much.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385721676, Paperback)

In Oryx and Crake, a science fiction novel that is more Swift than Heinlein, more cautionary tale than "fictional science" (no flying cars here), Margaret Atwood depicts a near-future world that turns from the merely horrible to the horrific, from a fool's paradise to a bio-wasteland. Snowman (a man once known as Jimmy) sleeps in a tree and just might be the only human left on our devastated planet. He is not entirely alone, however, as he considers himself the shepherd of a group of experimental, human-like creatures called the Children of Crake. As he scavenges and tends to his insect bites, Snowman recalls in flashbacks how the world fell apart.

While the story begins with a rather ponderous set-up of what has become a clichéd landscape of the human endgame, littered with smashed computers and abandoned buildings, it takes on life when Snowman recalls his boyhood meeting with his best friend Crake: "Crake had a thing about him even then.... He generated awe ... in his dark laconic clothing." A dangerous genius, Crake is the book's most intriguing character. Crake and Jimmy live with all the other smart, rich people in the Compounds--gated company towns owned by biotech corporations. (Ordinary folks are kept outside the gates in the chaotic "pleeblands.") Meanwhile, beautiful Oryx, raised as a child prostitute in Southeast Asia, finds her way to the West and meets Crake and Jimmy, setting up an inevitable love triangle. Eventually Crake's experiments in bioengineering cause humanity's shockingly quick demise (with uncanny echoes of SARS, ebola, and mad cow disease), leaving Snowman to try to pick up the pieces. There are a few speed bumps along the way, including some clunky dialogue and heavy-handed symbols such as Snowman's broken watch, but once the bleak narrative gets moving, as Snowman sets out in search of the laboratory that seeded the world's destruction, it clips along at a good pace, with a healthy dose of wry humor. --Mark Frutkin, Amazon.ca

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:16 -0400)

Snowman, known as Jimmy before mankind was overwelmed by a plaque, is struggling to survive in a world where he may be the only human left on our devastated planet, and mourning the loss of his best friend, Crake, and the beautiful and elusive Oryx whom they both loved. He is not entirely alone, however, as he considers himself the shepherd of a group of experimental, human-like creatures called the Children of Crake. In search of answers, Snowman embarks on a journey, with the help of the green-eyed Children of Crake, through the wilderness that was so recently a great city, until powerful corporations took mankind on an uncontrolled genetic engineering ride. As he scavenges and tends to his insect bites, Snowman recalls in flashbacks how the world fell apart.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,459,793 books! | Top bar: Always visible