Captured by the Highlander (Value Promotion…

Captured by the Highlander (Value Promotion Edition) (edition 2012)

by Julianne MacLean

Member:BookBetch
Title:Captured by the Highlander (Value Promotion Edition)
Authors:Julianne MacLean
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2012), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:**

Captured by the Highlander by Julianne Maclean

I would give this book a 3.5.
This is the first book by Julianne MacLean that I've read and I certainly enjoyed her writing style bringing the wilds of the Scottish Highlands to life in Captured by the Highlander.
Amelia starts out an innocent who is completely naïve who grows through the book into a brave, strong and loving woman. She see's the good in everyone, believing someone on their words alone. Duncan, who abducts her when her fiancé,an officer in the British army, who's a rapist and murderer, isn't in his room at the Fort.Duncan certainly opens Amelia's eyes to the way of the world, not in a harsh way, though being abducted was certainly an eye opener for her. Duncan's a multi-faceted character dedicated to his country and clan, walking the thin line between his duty and his feelings. He seeks revenge for the brutal murder of his betrothed but Amelia shows him that there is more to life then bloody battles and death. Duncan also sets Amelia senses on fire whenever he's near. He's sexy, domineering and lusty and just the man of Amelia's dreams. Their relationship runs an emotional gauntlet and I thought handled very well.

Towards the end, the story is rushed and everything is wrapped up nicely. I certainly had a good time reading this historical romance with it's well matched lovers.
Jack Murphy ( )
  urph818 | Aug 11, 2016 |
I was bored. The dialogue was stilted and I could never fully connect with the characters. Actually I don’t think they ever connected with each other. They moved like robots. The emotions were stuck on the page. I will admit I liked Duncan from the start- he was a brave and yet fair highland warrior. Though he was named The Butcher he was actually interested in saving innocents from pain by ridding the world of the evil men who inhabit it. I hated Angus (Duncan’s best friend and companion) literally from the moment he appeared. I know people as ignorant, close-minded, and cold-hearted exist, but he made my skin crawl every time he was mentioned.
Amelia was the worst heroine I have encountered in a LONG time. She was selfish. She was naive, even in the last chapters when a heroine should have gone through a soul-shifting identity realization, or at least matured some. She was just plain annoying. Actually by the end I kind of hoped the book would end with her death… which is a horrible thing to wish.
The plot was such an interesting starting place that it was a huge disappointment that it didn’t deliver. I just never completely engaged. There were plot twists, for example Duncan’s true identity, that didn’t even make sense to me. There was no foreshadowing. I just kept thinking it would get better… It never did. Not for one second. When the couple reached happily ever after I was relieved that I was finished with the book and could move on with my life.
The whole thing left me with a sour stomach. ( )
  BookBetch | Apr 5, 2013 |
Captured by the Highlander is my first highlander book and I must say I really like the thought of a hot warrior in a kilt. And Duncan aka “The Butcher” is extremely hot; with his long black hair, rippling muscles and strong, experienced hands. Mmmm.... Duncan can pillage me anytime.

He takes what he wants and will not be stopped. But like most great alphas his tender side comes out when he finds that special lass. Which he finds, while breaking into Fort William. But he doesn’t have lusty thoughts on his mind, nay, he looking for his enemy, Colonel Richard Bennett. But to Duncan’s surprise he finds the lovely Lady Amelia instead.

The Butcher plans to use Amelia as bait for Colonel Bennett so they run and hide for days together. As they spend more time together, an attraction begins to grow between them. Amelia starts to see Duncan for the gentle and kind man he can be; instead of the blood thirsty Butcher.

Even though this a romance book with the usual formal, don’t be fool, there are some great twists to the plot and the characters. We get to see the naive Amelia grown into a feisty wee lass. And after all, the world is not always black and white when it comes to love and war.

Captured by the Highlander has it all, action, lust, Stockholm Syndrome and sexy men in kilts. After reading this hot highlander book I plan to read more about Scots and their need to claim their women. I must say, I’ll take a hot sweaty highlander warrior over a gentlemen any day. I love a Scottish brogue. ( )
  Jennifer-Book-Nympho | Mar 29, 2013 |

Jennifer-Book-Nympho | Mar 29, 2013 |
I only got a couple of hours in and it was just not holding my interest so I gave up. I was thrown out of the story when the heroine, a proper English Duke's daughter says "I'll scream my guts out". in 1716.Then there was the bit where the 'hero' Duncan is mid kidnap. He gets out a skirt and bodice and tells Amelia to take off the shift she was sleeping in and get dressed in the clothes he's given her. She refuses. He rips it off her. Then he GOES AND GETS ANOTHER SHIFT out of the drawer for her to put it on under the other clothes. Um, Why??Then there was the bit where Amelia overhears someone calling the Butcher of the Highlands (her kidnapper) "Duncan". She thinks. So the Buther had a name. It was Duncan. *snort* (I don't think that was meant to be funny.I had a problem with that Amelia was kidnapped by this brutal Highlander who'd just killed 5 men and she almost immediately is feeling all warm and tingly. It just felt wrong, so I stopped listening.The narration was okay, although I thought Mr. Ferguson sometimes sounded like he had a mouthful of marbles and he seemed to trip over some of the Scottish accent from time to time. His female voice was quite good and the emotion was fine. He seemed to have an odd habit of finishing a sentence and then realising the the sentence wasn't finished yet and then reading the rest of it. But, if the story was better, I would have kept listening and it wouldn't have bothered me too much.Maybe the story gets better. I didn't care. ( )
  Kaetrin | Aug 13, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312365314, Mass Market Paperback)

Lady Amelia Sutherland would rather die than surrender to a man like Duncan MacLean. He is the fiercest warrior of his clan—her people's sworn enemy—and tonight he is standing over her bed. Eyes blazing, muscles taut, and battle axe gleaming, MacLean has come to kill Amelia's fiancé. But once he sees the lovely, innocent Amelia, he decides to take her instead…

Stealing the young bride-to-be is the perfect revenge against the man who murdered Duncan's one true love. But Lady Amelia turns out to be more than a pawn of vengeance and war. This brave, beautiful woman touches something deep in Duncan's soul that is even more powerful than a warrior's fury. But when Amelia begins to fall in love with her captor—and surrenders in his arms—the real battle begins…

Julianne MacLean's Captured by the Highlander is sizzling historical romance.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:51 -0400)

"Lady Amelia Templeton would rather die than surrender to a man like Duncan MacLean. He is the fiercest warrior of his clan--her people's sworn enemy--and tonight he is standing over her bed. Eyes blazing, muscles taut, and battle axe gleaming, MacLean has come to kill Amelia's fianc. But once he sees the lovely, innocent Amelia, he decides to take her instead... Stealing the young bride-to-be is the perfect revenge against the man who murdered Duncan's one true love. But Lady Amelia turns out to be more than a pawn of vengeance and way. This brave, beautiful woman touches something deep in Duncan's soul that is even more powerful than a warrior's fury. But when Amelia begins to fall in love with her captor--and surrenders in his arms--the real battle begins..."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,891,603 books! | Top bar: Always visible