We're Just Like You, Only Prettier:…

We're Just Like You, Only Prettier: Confessions of a Tarnished Southern… (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Celia Rivenbark

Member:seasidereader
Title:We're Just Like You, Only Prettier: Confessions of a Tarnished Southern Belle
Authors:Celia Rivenbark
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2005), Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:**1/2

We're Just Like You, Only Prettier: Confessions of a Tarnished Southern Belle by Celia Rivenbark (2004)

If you're a fan of either the Sweet Potato Queens OR Laurie Notaro, you'll love these books. Southern truth as humor at a pretty high level. ( )
  ScoutJ | Mar 31, 2013 |
When it comes to the South, Celia Rivenbark has seen and heard it all. The humor columnist from North Carolina shares her “confessions of a tarnished belle” in a book that was laugh-out-loud funny one moment and snooze-inducing the next.

I borrowed this one on audio and listened to it in less than a week, so it was quick — but not very memorable. The vignettes have little to do with one another, and many of them have little to even do with Southern culture; the writer just happens to be Southern. Still, no matter; it was funny and light, albeit no competition for my beloved Jen Lancaster and Laurie Notaro. ( )
  writemeg | Oct 2, 2012 |
If I could give this a 2.5 I would. While I found parts of it funny, it really wasn't as good as I had hoped. The title is very clever, but unfortunately I found that to be the best part of the book. I have not read many of her books before, and from what I hear this is not as good as the others. Maybe it's because I'm from the north. I didn't get it, and I didn't really want to. It was a quick read, but I woudln't pick this up for more than .99. ( )
  Zeppelin25 | Jul 25, 2011 |
Oh Celia, write faster! I love every book she puts out, but I think this was definitely my favorite. Take bitchy and roll it in a funny batter and fry it up with hushpuppies. ( )
  Oreillynsf | Apr 22, 2010 |
This is a book of compiled newspaper columns, a series of essays on life
in all it's miriad aspects, as seen from the point of view of a
self-admitted tarnished Southern Belle. Rivenbark is best described as
a poor white Erma Bombeck. While this book won't be everyone's cup of
tea, I liked it. Granted, it probably shouldn't be read straight
through because it tends to wear on you after a while, but I think
that's pretty true of any book of this genre, including compliations
from some of the best humor writers in America, like Andy Rooney and
Dave Barry.

I got quite a few chuckles from this book, and saw myself in it more
than once. ( )
  madamejeanie | Sep 21, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031231244X, Paperback)

Why couldn't the Sopranos survive living down South? Simple. You can't shoot a guy full of holes after eating chicken and pastry, spoon bread, okra, and tomatoes.

What does a Southern woman consider grounds for divorce? When daddy takes the kids out in public dressed in their pajama tops and Tweety Bird swim socks. Again.

What is the Southern woman's opinion of a new "fat virus" theory? Bring it on! We've got a lot of skinny friends we need to sneeze on.

In this wickedly funny follow-up to her bestselling novel Bless Your Heart, Tramp, Celia Rivenbark welcomes you, once again, to the South she loves, the land of "Mama and them," "precious and dahlin'," and mommies who mow. Y'all come back now, you hear?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:58 -0400)

Remember the Chuck E. Cheese's is a place where a kid can be a kid--while mommie gets hammered on watered-down Bud Light. Never marry your cousin--unless he's got cable. And if you want to be honest-to-Jesus white trash, you'll need to drop half a month's salary on hair extentions and gobs of makeup for your daughter so she can be the little princess of some beauty pageant nobody really cares about.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,988,001 books! | Top bar: Always visible