We're Just Like You, Only Prettier:…

We're Just Like You, Only Prettier: Confessions of a Tarnished Southern… (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Celia Rivenbark

Member:seasidereader
Title:We're Just Like You, Only Prettier: Confessions of a Tarnished Southern Belle
Authors:Celia Rivenbark
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2005), Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:**1/2

We're Just Like You, Only Prettier: Confessions of a Tarnished Southern Belle by Celia Rivenbark (2004)

Once again, Rivenbark delivers her brand of Southern wit to the everyday life of a wife and mother, living in Wilmington, North Carolina. In this book she examines the Southern Family, Kids, and Couples Therapy, Southern Style, the Southern Woman, and Gravy on Grits.

Is it a small wonder that hurricane season and wedding season are one and the same? As a former bridal-page editor, I can honestly say that I’ve seen some category 5 wedding disasters.
---Celia Rivenbark (We’re Just Like You, Only Prettier: Confessions of a Tarnished Southern Belle p 32)
The amicable divorce is an urban legend. You believe there’s such a thing? Then you also believe that some loser really did find an entire fried chicken head in his KFC snack pak.
------Celia Rivenbark (We’re Just Like You, Only Prettier: Confessions of a Tarnished Southern Belle p 35)
Women have long realized that the mere mention of their “females” can get them out of just about anything, the notable exception being a very insensitive North Carolina highway patrolman who once refused to believe I was speeding because “my uterus told me to”.
-----Celia Rivenbark (We’re Just Like You, Only Prettier: Confessions of a Tarnished Southern Belle p 126)
And my favorite, which wins points for creativity of expression, comes from the manual for my kid’s bike helmet: “Helmets can’t prevent damage from shaking, just as an egg can be completely scrambled inside its shell just by shaking it.”
-----Celia Rivenbark (We’re Just Like You, Only Prettier: Confessions of a Tarnished Southern Belle p 260) ( )
  nicolewbrown | Jul 31, 2016 |
If I could give this a 2.5 I would. While I found parts of it funny, it really wasn't as good as I had hoped. The title is very clever, but unfortunately I found that to be the best part of the book. I have not read many of her books before, and from what I hear this is not as good as the others. Maybe it's because I'm from the north. I didn't get it, and I didn't really want to. It was a quick read, but I woudln't pick this up for more than .99 ( )
  Sandra_Berglund | Mar 31, 2016 |
started off funny but got a bit boring and repetitive after a while ( )
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
started off funny but got a bit boring and repetitive after a while ( )
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
If you're a fan of either the Sweet Potato Queens OR Laurie Notaro, you'll love these books. Southern truth as humor at a pretty high level. ( )
  ScoutJ | Mar 31, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031231244X, Paperback)

Why couldn't the Sopranos survive living down South? Simple. You can't shoot a guy full of holes after eating chicken and pastry, spoon bread, okra, and tomatoes.

What does a Southern woman consider grounds for divorce? When daddy takes the kids out in public dressed in their pajama tops and Tweety Bird swim socks. Again.

What is the Southern woman's opinion of a new "fat virus" theory? Bring it on! We've got a lot of skinny friends we need to sneeze on.

In this wickedly funny follow-up to her bestselling novel Bless Your Heart, Tramp, Celia Rivenbark welcomes you, once again, to the South she loves, the land of "Mama and them," "precious and dahlin'," and mommies who mow. Y'all come back now, you hear?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:21 -0400)

Remember the Chuck E. Cheese's is a place where a kid can be a kid--while mommie gets hammered on watered-down Bud Light. Never marry your cousin--unless he's got cable. And if you want to be honest-to-Jesus white trash, you'll need to drop half a month's salary on hair extentions and gobs of makeup for your daughter so she can be the little princess of some beauty pageant nobody really cares about.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,430,806 books! | Top bar: Always visible