Second Grave on the Left by Darynda Jones

Second Grave on the Left (edition 2011)

by Darynda Jones

Title:Second Grave on the Left
Authors:Darynda Jones
Info:St. Martin's Press (2011), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Second Grave on the Left by Darynda Jones

English (52)  Piratical (1)  All languages (53)
Absolutely fabulous, funny and touching read, I loved this book even more than the first one!

“Make it quick," I said when I picked up.
"Okay. Two men from the FBI are here." Cookie said. Quickly.
Crap. "Men in black are at the office?"
"Well, yes, but they're actually in more of a navy."
Crapola. I so don't have time for men. In any color. "Okay, two questions. Do they look mad, and are they hot?"
After a long, long, pause, Cookie said, "One, not really. Two, no comment at this time. And three, you're on speakerphone."
After another long, long pause, I said, "Okie dokie then. Be there in a jiff.”

I love Charley Davidson series because it's not only hilarious treasure trove of quotes, but it's full of action, twists and turns and small secrets that you're never really ready to deal with :)

Charley is extremely charismatic, a character you can't help but instantly fall in love with and her life is pure chaos that she seems to thrive upon.

The slew of secondary characters easily compliments the main heroine - Cookie, Garrett, Charley's uncle - they are fabulous for comic relief. Reyes on the other hand is this malevolent furious force, which brings darkness to this book. He is torn trying to keep Charley away from the danger and determined to destroy her before his dad will get his hands onto Miss Davidson's shiny pretty light.

Perhaps this is why this series is so alluring. There is plenty of light and laughter but at the same time, cruelty and darkness which doesn't necessarily come from the supernatural. Usually it's the common criminals that Charley has to fight, and very rarely it's something paranormal.

Crazy, funny, bittersweet yumminess! Fantastic series which I'd recommend to anyone ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Charley Davidson is Albuquerque’s private eye extraordinaire and local Grim Reaper. In this installment, her best friend Cookie hits her up to help find her friend Mimi. Pretty soon the two ladies are pulled into a murder mystery, one that may be tied back to an event from Mimi’s past. On top of all that, Reyes Alexander Farrow, Charley’s lover and also the son of Satan, has yet another mystery for Charley. While his hidden body is tormented by demons, his spirit haunts Charley, tempting her with promises of hot, pleasurable nights.

I wasn’t particularly taken with Book 1 (First Grave on the Right) in this series, but then I heard the author talk at the local convention (Bubonicon) a few times and she came off as funny and smart. So when I won a copy of this book (from Audio Gals blog), I jumped right into. I was happily surprised that this book entertained me far more than Book 1.

There’s really three mysteries in this book; the two biggies already mentioned and then a smaller one that even Charley is not aware of until she stumbles right into it. I really liked how these three intertwined, each masking the other or revealing insights into the next. It made it much harder to predict the plot and I was pleasantly surprised several times when the next little twist wasn’t what I was expecting.

Charley herself has plenty of self effacing humor. Sometimes it made me chuckle and, unfortunately, some of it felt canned. This was probably the single point that by turns charmed me and turned me off. When the wit was flying and clever, I was a very happy listener. When the humor lacked wit and was the same joke I have heard a thousand times on TV, I was likely to let my focus wander off the book. I have to admit the sometimes unsurprising dialogue was one of the drawbacks to Book 1 and Book 2 doesn’t quite escape from this rather predictable sitcom type humor.

Then we have the hot, flirty romance between Charley and Reyes. In Book 1, it didn’t quite work for me, but in this book, it is much smoother. The two have a little history together now, some trust, something more to go on than just lusting hormones. I really enjoyed that Charley isn’t always willing to sit back and let Reyes be the alpha in their relationship. The other side of the coin is that she sometimes truly does need his help and she has to admit that and essentially ask for it. Reyes, on the other hand, hasn’t been able to ask for help in a very, very long time, given the nature of his being. So he’s still got some growing to do.

The various side characters provide humor and angst as needed. Of course, Cookie is front and center with this story. She’s sometimes near hysterics, worrying for her missing friend Mimi but then you can see her pull it together. Uncle Bob and Charley’s dad are both cops, so there’s some family politics that come in to play in this book that added some nice depth to Charley’s character. Then there are all the dead people that Charley can see and the conversations with those individuals runs the gamut of emotions: hilarious, poignant; creepy; etc.

Yep, I definitely enjoyed this book more than Book 1 and I will be continuing the series.

Narration: Lorelei King gave us another great performance. She’s got the perfect sassy voice for Charley. I also liked her voice for Cookie, making her sound voluptuous and bold at the same time. Both her male and female voices were distinct and her little kid voices were excellent. She also pulled off the Hispanic accent nicely. ( )
  DabOfDarkness | Oct 31, 2015 |
If goodreads allowed half stars, would rate 3½ but rounded up to 4 stars.

Second book in Charley Davidson series, blurb on this site accurate so not requoting/summarizing. Charley Davidson character is one I like (a little unrelenting on the one liners and snappy combacks) and there were some funny moments. Read in one sitting and really enjoyed (cast and characters, not that big on the wordlbuilding in this entry) which means I would never rate lower than 3-5 stars.

Lost some partial ranking stars for me by reading a bit like the stereotypical 2nd book in a trilogy (although I know series is longer) in that not a great deal happened to move series forward (okay, a new power and she now has seen demons), no progression of romance (in fact romance and personal relationships except with her BFF seemed to go backwards with the men in her life leaving her out of the loop and treating her like helpless femme).

The drama behind a bad guy stalking her dad and her leading to the police sticking a tail on her did not progress naturally, just shoved in there toward the quickie ending--just did not flow well.

Despite the minor complaints I expressed that lost some stars in my ranking, I did enjoy, did get some laughs, and will be reading further in the series. ( )
  Spurts | Oct 29, 2015 |
This second book in the Charley Davidson series was as funny and chaotic as the first. Charlie is working on a case for her best friend/receptionist Cookie. Her best friend Mimi is missing. She is also trying to find out about the dead guy in Cookie's car trunk. But, most of all, she is trying to find Reyes body before he dies. Reyes is determined to let his human body die; Charley doesn't want that to happen. And, also, Charley's father is being threatened by someone who wants to kill him or, at least, kill his family.

All of those cases intertwine in this investigation. Charley is her usual fear-free self. She doesn't seem to have any sense of self-preservation as she confronts criminals of all sorts of descriptions on her quest to find Mimi and save Reyes.

This book was laugh out loud funny which is unusual in the urban fantasy genre. I enjoyed every minute of this story and can't wait to read more of Charley's adventures. ( )
  kmartin802 | Aug 23, 2015 |
EDIT: Sólo quería agregar esto...

Me puse nostalgica por el Tuxedo de antes

Sé que las interacciones entre Cookie (creo que era Cookie, lo acabo de terminar pero dudo) y Charley deberían que parecerme entretenidas/adorables o algo semejante pero, sin embargo, me provocaron todo lo contrario.

Los chistes malos, los malentendidos, los diálogos típicos de los peores chick-lits (de esos que pareciera que las mujeres son super torpes- quirky, me parece que es la palabra correcta), todo eso solo consiguió que temiera sus escenas juntas (algo parecido a lo que me pasó con la IKO de [b:Cinder|11235712|Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)|Marissa Meyer|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1388186881s/11235712.jpg|15545385] arghhhhhhhh INsoportable personaje secundario, un patético intento de humor!); lo que es una lástima porque si hay algo que hace falta en el 90% de las novelas de fantasía urbana es una buena amistad entre mujeres, sin peleas ni celos. En este caso, la relación entre las dos solo causa fastidio- en mi opinión, obvio. Capaz que a los demás lectores les encantan estas situaciones que atrasan la trama con chistes bobos.

No obstante, esta segunda entrega es superior a la primera y estoy segura (espero) de que va a seguir mejorando libro por libro... sobre todo si le bajan el tono a la "comedia".

PD: ¿Es raro que Reyes me haga acordar a Tuxedo Mask con la forma en que siempre aparece de la nada para salvar a Charley?

Le falta decir una frase sin sentido como:"A todo aquel que se atreva a jugar con los corazones puros de las personas, seran juzgadas por ellas mismas..." (??) después de tirar la rosa , y listo!!! Hazlo ahora, Sailor Moon---digo, Charley!!

PD2: Y esto es super positivo, obviamente, porque TUXEDO MASK es un sueeeñoooo..

(Los corazones de todas las mujeres cuando se encuentran con Tuxedo Reyes) ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |

Darynda Jonesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the Mighty, Mighty Jones Boys, Danny, Jerrdan, and Casey.
You are the reason I breathe
Charley, hurry, wake up.

Awakened in the middle of the night by a friend who has been texted by a missing woman, Charley Davidson discovers clues linking the disappearance to the murder of a woman two weeks earlier.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,874,086 books! | Top bar: Always visible