Second Grave on the Left by Darynda Jones

Second Grave on the Left (edition 2011)

by Darynda Jones

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:Fiction

Second Grave On The Left by Darynda Jones

English (56)  Piratical (1)  All languages (57)
Love Charley's attitude and all the sayings on the t-shirts and bumper stickers. Looking forward to the next book and to find out how her relationship with Reyes progresses. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
-Second Grave on the left- I was a bit taken back with the two case's she was working on. The fact that she could even stop looking for one for a second to spend looking for the other totally miffed me. I still love the Charley and the author's snarky T-shirt humor. My kind of girl, She get's me she really does. I found myself laughing at her as much as I was horrified by her ordeal. It was a darker book for me, than the last one. I enjoyed the ride and can't wait to find out if she is forgiven or if she ever learns what she can do. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
Charley is the Grim Reaper.....she is a beacon of light for dead people world-wide who want to cross over. She is also super-human, a smart-mouthed P.I. and lover of Reyes, the Son of Satan (who has disappeared).

In this book, not only has Reyes disappeared, but so to as the wife of a very wealthy business man....and people who went to H.S. with the missing woman have turned up dead (murdered).

I only gave this 3 , because In My Opinion, Charley's obsession with finding Reyes interferes with the other part of the story......

I am now about to begin the 3rd in the series. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
Very fun! Can't get the image of Stephanie Plum out of my mind though. ( )
  bouldermimi | Jan 13, 2016 |
Absolutely fabulous, funny and touching read, I loved this book even more than the first one!

“Make it quick," I said when I picked up.
"Okay. Two men from the FBI are here." Cookie said. Quickly.
Crap. "Men in black are at the office?"
"Well, yes, but they're actually in more of a navy."
Crapola. I so don't have time for men. In any color. "Okay, two questions. Do they look mad, and are they hot?"
After a long, long, pause, Cookie said, "One, not really. Two, no comment at this time. And three, you're on speakerphone."
After another long, long pause, I said, "Okie dokie then. Be there in a jiff.”

I love Charley Davidson series because it's not only hilarious treasure trove of quotes, but it's full of action, twists and turns and small secrets that you're never really ready to deal with :)

Charley is extremely charismatic, a character you can't help but instantly fall in love with and her life is pure chaos that she seems to thrive upon.

The slew of secondary characters easily compliments the main heroine - Cookie, Garrett, Charley's uncle - they are fabulous for comic relief. Reyes on the other hand is this malevolent furious force, which brings darkness to this book. He is torn trying to keep Charley away from the danger and determined to destroy her before his dad will get his hands onto Miss Davidson's shiny pretty light.

Perhaps this is why this series is so alluring. There is plenty of light and laughter but at the same time, cruelty and darkness which doesn't necessarily come from the supernatural. Usually it's the common criminals that Charley has to fight, and very rarely it's something paranormal.

Crazy, funny, bittersweet yumminess! Fantastic series which I'd recommend to anyone ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |

Darynda Jonesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the Mighty, Mighty Jones Boys, Danny, Jerrdan, and Casey.
You are the reason I breathe
Charley, hurry, wake up.

Awakened in the middle of the night by a friend who has been texted by a missing woman, Charley Davidson discovers clues linking the disappearance to the murder of a woman two weeks earlier.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,084,587 books! | Top bar: Always visible