Second Grave on the Left by Darynda Jones

Second Grave on the Left (edition 2011)

by Darynda Jones

Tags:Fiction

Book #2: Charley Davidson Series
Source: Purchase
Rating: 4/5 stars

Charley Davidson’s life is never, ever simple or stress-free or safe. As a private investigator Charley expects a certain degree of crappiness but when she goes looking for Cookie’s friend Mimi, the degree of crappiness seems to rise exponentially. In the span of no more than two weeks, Charley is stabbed and/or cut multiple times, super glued back together multiple times, shot at, and, concussed multiple times. At least there is never a dull moment in her world 

Cookie’s friend Mimi is the last person on Earth who would simply abandon her family and go on the run but that is exactly what she has done and no one seems to know why, not even Mimi’s husband or parents. The only thing anyone seems to be sure about is that Mimi had a damn good reason for leaving behind everything she holds dear and the only clue she left is a random name and set of numbers on a bathroom door in a local diner. Sure, Charley should be able to figure that out, right? As the digging in begins in earnest, Charley and Cookie quickly figure out that Mimi’s disappearance is nothing short of a hot mess that began more than twenty years ago with the disappearance of a young girl.

And so the hunt begins. Mimi’s disappearance quickly becomes a total goatf**k with dead bodies piling up all around and an evil puppet master pulling a lot of strings simultaneously. Those strings are attached to a lot of people who all seem to have gone to school together and to have been involved in or know about what happened twenty years ago to the young girl who went missing. Clearly, Mimi is terrified and if Charley and Cookie can’t put all the piece of the puzzle together, Mimi is sure to meet the same fate as her classmates. Oh, did I mention the puppet master has enough pull and cash to have hired some seriously ugly assassins? Yeah, this story has assassins too! One other little tidbit, as this particular story progress, Charley’s Grim Reaper powers seem to be progressing as well and man, oh, man can she do some cool stuff!

In the meantime, Reyes’ delectable corporeal body is still missing and not only are the authorities looking for him but so are Charley and a whole host of demons (literally!) ready to claim Reyes and make their way to this plane en masse. Still able to separate from his corporeal body, Reyes continues to appear to Charley and warns her that finding his corporeal body and saving it would be a serious violation of his wishes and is certainly something she should not pursue. Seriously? He has met her, right?? One would think the Son of Satan who has lived for thousands of years would have heard the phrase “dog with a bone” at least once in his many lifetimes.  As you should expect by now, in addition to looking for Mimi, Charley is also looking for Reyes and is hell bent on saving his body. What she doesn’t expect is who she will get help from in this pursuit and what lengths she will have to go to protect the man(ish) she so clearly loves.

The Bottom Line: Charley Davidson is my hero!! Even in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds she never fails to fight for all she is worth and does everything within her power to help her clients. To Charley, nearly every life is precious and if she can help someone in need, she will do so even if it requires super gluing her back together. But aside from all the mushy stuff, I love Charley’s sense of humor and extreme sarcasm. Even though the situations she is in are serious and often dire, Charley never loses her smart mouth and that sure makes the read all the more enjoyable. As with book one, I liked the plot and the twists and turns of this read but am truly more enamored with the characters. Jones writes a solid, full-bodied (and sometimes incorporeal!) character that is easy to get attached to. Her plots aren’t so dense that you get lost and the dialogue and interaction between all of the characters is generally light and easy to follow. In all, Second Grave on the Left is an enjoyable read that certainly does not suffer from the dreaded sophomore slump. ( )
  arthistorychick | Jun 29, 2014 |
Hilarious tongue and cheek fun with a outrageous splash of outrageous!

I so enjoyed this second installment in the Charley Davidson series. Charley's caught a hot one! Not only has Cookies' friend Mimi disappeared, but there's a dead person in the trunk of cookies' car. If that isn't bad enough, our tall dark and sexy son of Satan, Reyes has decided to end his corporeal life. It's a race against time to find Reyes, solve the mystery of the dead person and locate the missing Mimi Jacobs.

Charley Davidson PI, Grim Reaper extraordinaire is a delightful character. I am really starting to think that Charley suffers from ADD, because there are times when her mind is running a mile a minute. Staying focused is just deliciously challenging for our girl when Reyes is around. Her snappy wit and spontaneous one-liners are so out of left field that readers will double over with laughter.

Second Grave on the Left expands the universe of the series with the introduction of some key characters that add dimensions to the enigma known as Reyes Alexander Farrow. It also delves into Charley's family dynamics and the root of some unfortunate misunderstanding and consequences. As the last pages of the book turn, Charley, herself will come to realize that some of her choices may have been ill advised.

Can't wait to start the next one!

TheiBookEmporium | May 21, 2014 |
Another winner! Jones has done it again. This second novel in the Charley Davidson series is as delightful as the first. Bravo. ( )
  carolburnside | May 15, 2014 |
I am totally enamored with Charley - and with every other character in Jones' hysterical take on what it means to be the Grim Reaper - whether you asked for it or not.

There are many women who write well, some humorous, some serious, but Jones puts forth a brilliant first effort in the Charley Davidson series that has me alternately admiring her writing skills, and rolling on the floor laughing at her humour. You really LIKE Charley, Cookie, and the gang, and want to see them succeed in their lives - - because even if you are the Reaper, you don't 'have' to be "Grim." I listened to First Grave on the Right, like I do so many other books, from the Audible.com site. Read by the wonderfully talented Loreli King, whose voice carries every character she ever does with aplomb, I gulped down the first installment in a day, then immediately grabbed Second Grave on the Left, and tonight, in the middle of the book, my battery on my Zune went down - OH, the Humanity!!!! Guess I will just have to sleep tonight instead of sitting up all night listening again. I have a fresh bag of coffee beans and a whole Sunday to enjoy the rest of this new obsession of mine.

While I have made mention of the humour in Jones' series, the pathos of the story of Reyas and his life is a crushing reminder of just how vicious and uncaring fate can actually be. It doesn't matter if you are the six-year-old with leukemia, or a Son of Satan, (who is SO unlike his father) come to Earth to live as a 'real boy' only to have his dream turn into a nightmare. Life can be a series of horrors the likes of which even Poe or Dostoyevsky could not do justice to - Jones does a moving rendition of the pain that humans can cause in another persons life with a depth of caring that is both well considered and well written.

Bravo, Ms. Jones. I see that Third Grave Dead Ahead is scheduled for publication January, 2012. I have already set it on my calendar to grab it as soon as it arrives - I can hardly wait! ( )
  soireadthisbooktoday | May 4, 2014 |
I just love these books. each one is just as good as the previous one. I am laughing through tears. My family thinks I'm crazy now lol ( )
  arparish82 | Apr 8, 2014 |

Darynda Jonesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the Mighty, Mighty Jones Boys, Danny, Jerrdan, and Casey.
You are the reason I breathe
Charley, hurry, wake up.

Awakened in the middle of the night by a friend who has been texted by a missing woman, Charley Davidson discovers clues linking the disappearance to the murder of a woman two weeks earlier.

317 wanted3 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,639,540 books! | Top bar: Always visible