Second Grave on the Left by Darynda Jones

Second Grave on the Left (edition 2011)

by Darynda Jones

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:Fiction

Second Grave on the Left by Darynda Jones

English (46)  Piratical (1)  All languages (47)
This review is also published at http://thebookaholiccat.com

Second Grave on the Left is book two in the Charley Davidson series by Darynda Jones.

I have been waiting for a while to write this review because this book was so good that I just wanted to write: it was awesome, better than the previous one, a funny ride that you won’t be able to put down, a book you need to read NOW. But I know that is not enough for many of you, even though it should be, you should believe me when I say it was great and go running to the bookstore to get it, not expecting more details but I know your greedy minds will want to know more, so let’s try to do this again…

Second Grave on the Left picks up couple of days after the events inFirst Grave on the Right with an investigation in the middle of the night with Charlie wearing bunny sleepers. Charlie is helping her best friend Cookie investigate the disappearance of her friend Mimi, while also dealing with Reyes own vanishing from the hospital and his wish of letting his human body perish and of course some smaller cases including a ghost or two, that’s how our Grim Reaper/P.I. Charlie rolls.

“You are a professional investigator, right? Warren asked
I squinted. “Define professional.”

Charlie has come a long way accepting who and what she is while dealing with sex on a stick also known as Reyes. What I love the most about Charlie is the way she looks at life, she is smart, witty and with a great sense of sarcastic humor. She is one of those persons you would love to have as a friend in real life.

I reached an arm over his head and pulled it onto my shoulder.
“Ouch.”
“Please,” I said, rolling my eyes.
“I got shot in the shoulder you’re leaning on.”
“You’re on pain meds,” I said, patting his head roughly. “Suck it up.”

In Second Grave on the Left Charlie is still discovering what she can do and how to use it for her advantage and while everyday she is transforming and becoming a more kick-ass heroine she is still the same woman we have learned to love. I can say Charlie has become one of my all time favorite heroines in the Urban Fantasy world.

“No offense,” I said, disappointed, “but that doesn’t really help.”
“I know. I suck at all of this supernatural stuff. But I fry a mean chicken.”
“Oh, good. I hate it when the nice ones get fried.”

In Second Grave on the Left we learn more about dreamylicious Reyes but still he is a mystery, a mystery I would love to unwrap, slowly, literally! Even though there is no sexy time in this book the sexual tension between these two is skyrocketing and in a sense also gratifying.

There is not a bad or lacking secondary character in this book, they all provide something good and interesting to the story, from the new bad guys to the recurrent characters we love like Cookie, warren and Charlie’s uncle Bob. Mrs. Jones does a great job in her characterizations making them all interesting and endearing.

I really loved First Grave on the Right and had big expectations forSecond Grave on the Left, expectations that were not only met but also surpassed.
There was never a dull moment during the whole book, Second Grave on the Left grabbed me with its scythe and didn’t let me go until I reach its end, an end I didn’t want to get to, because I wanted this book to last forever. Second Grave on the Left is one of those books that you want to read fast because you want to know what is going to happen next, but at the same time you want to read it slowly because you don’t want it to end, that was the very big dilemma I encountered with this book and I’m blaming Darynda Jones and her bewitching writing for it.

Second Grave on the Left it’s one of my top reads this year. Believe me it’s a book you need to get your hands on as soon as possible. It’s not necessary to read First Grave on the Right before but I will recommend you to do it. There is some back-story that is worth knowing, also there is Reyes *swoon* and it’s a wonderful book, so let me make things easier for you and decide for you… you have to read it first, done.
The end of Second Grave on the Left was not a cliffhanger but it was one that would leave you biting nails and sending your manicure bills to Mrs. Jones. The next installment in this series Third Grave Dead Aheadwill be available February 2, 2012 and needless to say I can’t wait to read it.

Each chapter begins with a saying from a T-Shirt or a bumper sticker, my favorite were:
What happens if you get scared half to death, twice?
I stopped fighting my inner demons. We’re on the same side now.
Upon the advice of my attorney, my shirt bears no message at this time.
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
Love Darynda, Lorelei and Charlie!!! ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
Charley Davidson is the Grimm Reaper, the portal through which the dead can reach Heaven. She’s also a private investigator and when her best friend reports one of her friends has gone missing under worrying circumstances, she has to get on the case. A string of murders lead to a long buried past

One case would be enough to handle but there’s also Reyes, Charley’s mysterious and dangerous love interest – also the son of Satan. He’s hurt, he’s dying and Charley will find him in time –whether he wants her to or not.

This book should be silly. It should be ridiculous. I should be rolling my eyes. But I’m not doing any of those things because I’m laughing and smiling so much. Charley is simply hilarious and even if her character is snarking away at some of the most bizarre times, it still works. It shouldn’t, but it does.

For a while I just put this down to writing style and was willing to completely ignore the shattering of anything resembling common sense or the simple fact that absolutely no-one would act this way simply because it was funny enough for me to not care about realism. But reading through this I realise this is actually part of Charley’s character development – it’s mentioned almost in passing that she wasn’t afraid of things even as a child and that she generally doesn’t feel much fear either due to what she is (the Grim Reaper) or due to what she’s seen (as the Grim Reaper) which means her endless snark works. She isn’t cowering or worried because she genuinely isn’t afraid, has seen worse and it doesn’t come close to suppressing her sense of fun.

Which is what Charley is – immense fun. She’s sarcastic, witty, confident and skilled. She’s good at what she does, she knows she is and she’s quite happy to amuse herself along the way and she does (and me) immensely. Her character interactions in general are excellent, but especially with her best friend Cookie. I honestly think they have one of the best friendships I’ve seen in the genre, I think I could read a whole book of them doing nothing but drinking coffee and bantering back and forth

Does this levity always work? No, I’m afraid, though I always enjoy it. But there are at times, especially given the severity of the cases they’re working, when it seems badly out of place even while I’m laughing.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Jan 25, 2015 |
I have really mixed feelings about this series. There are aspects to it that I like (the mysteries, some of the humor, Charley's interactions with the secondary characters) and some I don't (some of the humor, Reyes) and I don't know if I care about it enough to continue. Before I started it, I would have said I loved snarky characters, but after reading this (actually listening to the audiobook which was narrated so well by Lorelei King), I'm rethinking that. It did have some laugh out loud moments, but mostly it was a "heh" not a true lol and there were a lot of parts where I thought the author was trying too hard to be funny; it didn't feel natural. I also don't like Reyes. He's a jerk and a bit too creepy/stalkery for my taste.
I feel like I'm missing something because everyone else I know who is reading it loves it. Ack! ( )
  Bugetta | Sep 29, 2014 |
Contemporary, Paranormal, Albuquerque, New Mexico

Charley Davidson has found life gets very complicated when hanging around the dead. Luckily complicated is her middle name. Being a part-time investigator and full-time Grim Reaper makes life very interesting. Demons find her irresistible and the deceased find her very sparkly. Though one entity wants to seduce her any way possible.

Now Charley and her best friend and receptionist, Cookie need to track down a missing woman. Though the case isn’t quite as open and shut as they believed it would be. While investigating that case the Son of Satan also knows as Reyes Alexander Farrow has left his corporeal body and is haunting Charley. His body is being tortured by demons determined to lure Charley to them. Reyes is determined to not let that happen because if it does it will give the demons a portal to heaven and that would not be a good thing.

Now Charley is dealing with hot nights with Reyes and hotter days tracking down a missing woman. She also has to keep those she loves safe from harm. Charley is also wondering if there is possibly enough coffee and chocolate to get her through this latest case.

This book picks up right after the first book left off. It also proves to be just as fun and hilarious as the first book was. This is a series that is a fun take on paranormals that once it is started the reader will never be the same after. This takes sarcasm to a whole different level that makes it fun and will keep the reader turning the pages just to see what situation Charley will get herself into next. This is proving to be a series not to miss and that will have a permanent place on reader’s keeper shelves. This has mystery romance and sarcasm that is not to be missed. ( )
  lrhubble | Sep 20, 2014 |

Darynda Jonesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the Mighty, Mighty Jones Boys, Danny, Jerrdan, and Casey.
You are the reason I breathe
Charley, hurry, wake up.

Awakened in the middle of the night by a friend who has been texted by a missing woman, Charley Davidson discovers clues linking the disappearance to the murder of a woman two weeks earlier.

317 wanted3 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,142,992 books! | Top bar: Always visible