Second Grave on the Left by Darynda Jones

Second Grave on the Left (edition 2011)

by Darynda Jones

Title:Second Grave on the Left
Authors:Darynda Jones
Info:St. Martin's Press (2011), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Second Grave on the Left by Darynda Jones

English (49)  Piratical (1)  All languages (50)
This second book in the Charley Davidson series was as funny and chaotic as the first. Charlie is working on a case for her best friend/receptionist Cookie. Her best friend Mimi is missing. She is also trying to find out about the dead guy in Cookie's car trunk. But, most of all, she is trying to find Reyes body before he dies. Reyes is determined to let his human body die; Charley doesn't want that to happen. And, also, Charley's father is being threatened by someone who wants to kill him or, at least, kill his family.

All of those cases intertwine in this investigation. Charley is her usual fear-free self. She doesn't seem to have any sense of self-preservation as she confronts criminals of all sorts of descriptions on her quest to find Mimi and save Reyes.

This book was laugh out loud funny which is unusual in the urban fantasy genre. I enjoyed every minute of this story and can't wait to read more of Charley's adventures. ( )
  kmartin802 | Aug 23, 2015 |
EDIT: Sólo quería agregar esto...

Me puse nostalgica por el Tuxedo de antes

Sé que las interacciones entre Cookie (creo que era Cookie, lo acabo de terminar pero dudo) y Charley deberían que parecerme entretenidas/adorables o algo semejante pero, sin embargo, me provocaron todo lo contrario.

Los chistes malos, los malentendidos, los diálogos típicos de los peores chick-lits (de esos que pareciera que las mujeres son super torpes- quirky, me parece que es la palabra correcta), todo eso solo consiguió que temiera sus escenas juntas (algo parecido a lo que me pasó con la IKO de [b:Cinder|11235712|Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)|Marissa Meyer|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1388186881s/11235712.jpg|15545385] arghhhhhhhh INsoportable personaje secundario, un patético intento de humor!); lo que es una lástima porque si hay algo que hace falta en el 90% de las novelas de fantasía urbana es una buena amistad entre mujeres, sin peleas ni celos. En este caso, la relación entre las dos solo causa fastidio- en mi opinión, obvio. Capaz que a los demás lectores les encantan estas situaciones que atrasan la trama con chistes bobos.

No obstante, esta segunda entrega es superior a la primera y estoy segura (espero) de que va a seguir mejorando libro por libro... sobre todo si le bajan el tono a la "comedia".

PD: ¿Es raro que Reyes me haga acordar a Tuxedo Mask con la forma en que siempre aparece de la nada para salvar a Charley?

Le falta decir una frase sin sentido como:"A todo aquel que se atreva a jugar con los corazones puros de las personas, seran juzgadas por ellas mismas..." (??) después de tirar la rosa , y listo!!! Hazlo ahora, Sailor Moon---digo, Charley!!

PD2: Y esto es super positivo, obviamente, porque TUXEDO MASK es un sueeeñoooo..

(Los corazones de todas las mujeres cuando se encuentran con Tuxedo Reyes) ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
I seriously love Charley Davidson! I want to be her when I grow up (though I don't think I want the whole grim reaper/ dead people passing through me thing). But really? Who wouldn't want to be Charley. She's fun, intelligent, sassy, sexy and she has super powers! Yes super powers more than the grim thing but I'll let you read about that.

Lorelei does such an awesome job bringing theses characters to life. She should narrate everything ever!

Ok enough gushing. Loved the book and wouldn't mind listening to it again 5 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
This review is also published at http://thebookaholiccat.com

Second Grave on the Left is book two in the Charley Davidson series by Darynda Jones.

I have been waiting for a while to write this review because this book was so good that I just wanted to write: it was awesome, better than the previous one, a funny ride that you won’t be able to put down, a book you need to read NOW. But I know that is not enough for many of you, even though it should be, you should believe me when I say it was great and go running to the bookstore to get it, not expecting more details but I know your greedy minds will want to know more, so let’s try to do this again…

Second Grave on the Left picks up couple of days after the events inFirst Grave on the Right with an investigation in the middle of the night with Charlie wearing bunny sleepers. Charlie is helping her best friend Cookie investigate the disappearance of her friend Mimi, while also dealing with Reyes own vanishing from the hospital and his wish of letting his human body perish and of course some smaller cases including a ghost or two, that’s how our Grim Reaper/P.I. Charlie rolls.

“You are a professional investigator, right? Warren asked
I squinted. “Define professional.”

Charlie has come a long way accepting who and what she is while dealing with sex on a stick also known as Reyes. What I love the most about Charlie is the way she looks at life, she is smart, witty and with a great sense of sarcastic humor. She is one of those persons you would love to have as a friend in real life.

I reached an arm over his head and pulled it onto my shoulder.
“Please,” I said, rolling my eyes.
“I got shot in the shoulder you’re leaning on.”
“You’re on pain meds,” I said, patting his head roughly. “Suck it up.”

In Second Grave on the Left Charlie is still discovering what she can do and how to use it for her advantage and while everyday she is transforming and becoming a more kick-ass heroine she is still the same woman we have learned to love. I can say Charlie has become one of my all time favorite heroines in the Urban Fantasy world.

“No offense,” I said, disappointed, “but that doesn’t really help.”
“I know. I suck at all of this supernatural stuff. But I fry a mean chicken.”
“Oh, good. I hate it when the nice ones get fried.”

In Second Grave on the Left we learn more about dreamylicious Reyes but still he is a mystery, a mystery I would love to unwrap, slowly, literally! Even though there is no sexy time in this book the sexual tension between these two is skyrocketing and in a sense also gratifying.

There is not a bad or lacking secondary character in this book, they all provide something good and interesting to the story, from the new bad guys to the recurrent characters we love like Cookie, warren and Charlie’s uncle Bob. Mrs. Jones does a great job in her characterizations making them all interesting and endearing.

I really loved First Grave on the Right and had big expectations forSecond Grave on the Left, expectations that were not only met but also surpassed.
There was never a dull moment during the whole book, Second Grave on the Left grabbed me with its scythe and didn’t let me go until I reach its end, an end I didn’t want to get to, because I wanted this book to last forever. Second Grave on the Left is one of those books that you want to read fast because you want to know what is going to happen next, but at the same time you want to read it slowly because you don’t want it to end, that was the very big dilemma I encountered with this book and I’m blaming Darynda Jones and her bewitching writing for it.

Second Grave on the Left it’s one of my top reads this year. Believe me it’s a book you need to get your hands on as soon as possible. It’s not necessary to read First Grave on the Right before but I will recommend you to do it. There is some back-story that is worth knowing, also there is Reyes *swoon* and it’s a wonderful book, so let me make things easier for you and decide for you… you have to read it first, done.
The end of Second Grave on the Left was not a cliffhanger but it was one that would leave you biting nails and sending your manicure bills to Mrs. Jones. The next installment in this series Third Grave Dead Aheadwill be available February 2, 2012 and needless to say I can’t wait to read it.

Each chapter begins with a saying from a T-Shirt or a bumper sticker, my favorite were:
What happens if you get scared half to death, twice?
I stopped fighting my inner demons. We’re on the same side now.
Upon the advice of my attorney, my shirt bears no message at this time.
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
Love Darynda, Lorelei and Charlie!!! ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |

Darynda Jonesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the Mighty, Mighty Jones Boys, Danny, Jerrdan, and Casey.
You are the reason I breathe
Charley, hurry, wake up.

Awakened in the middle of the night by a friend who has been texted by a missing woman, Charley Davidson discovers clues linking the disappearance to the murder of a woman two weeks earlier.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,784,392 books! | Top bar: Always visible