No title

Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Second Grave on the Left by Darynda Jones

English (64)  Piratical (1)  All languages (65)
This is the second Charley Davidson book and it was a very fun continuation of this humorous urban fantasy series! Right now the 11th book in this series, Eleventh Grave in Moonlight, is scheduled for a January 2017 release.

I listened to this on audiobook and the narrator does an awesome job. This is one of those series I would highly recommend listening to on audiobook if you enjoy audiobooks.

I enjoyed this book even more than the first book in the series. These books remind a bit of Molly Harper’s Jane Jameson series in tone, but I am actually liking this series a lot better than that one.

There is a ton of quirky humor in here and I just love Charley and her inability to keep her mouth shut or be afraid of anything. In fact there are quite a few wonderful characters in here, even the side-characters have a lot of depth and are super fun to read about.

This book is mostly investigative but there is quite a bit of action as well. I love that each of these books solves one mystery but there is also a story that continues between books involving Charley’s powers and Reyes. We learn a lot more about both Charley’s and Reyes’s powers in this book and the whole thing is getting increasingly interesting.

The only thing that I have a bit of trouble getting past in this series is the fact that if spirits can see Charley so well then why isn’t Charley constantly swamped by ghosts? I find this a bit unbelievable but am willing to let it slide because I just have so much darn fun listening to these books.

Overall I loved this book and found it incredibly entertaining. So far I am really loving this whole series (of course I am only at book 2 of 11). I would highly recommend to fans of investigative urban fantasy who enjoy some humor in their books. ( )
  krau0098 | Aug 20, 2016 |
Review This series is just purely delightful and just what I needed to get me through the stressful time of selling a house. Charley is such a sassy little imp, you cannot help but fall in love with her. This one was a tad slow and repetitive at times (& Reyes isnt as interesting as in the debut novel), but its not that big of a deal because its really the characters and dialogue that keeps you interested. I am thoroughly enjoying getting to know each and everyone of the secondary characters and cannot wait to pick up the next installment to learn more. I highly recommend this series for those who just need some fun escapism with lots of heart. And the dialogue is worth the price of the book (or audiobook in this case)

Favorite Quotes

“Make it quick," I said when I picked up.
"Okay. Two men from the FBI are here." Cookie said. Quickly.
Crap. "Men in black are at the office?"
"Well, yes, but they're actually in more of a navy."
Crapola. I so don't have time for men. In any color. "Okay, two questions. Do they look mad, and are they hot?"
After a long, long, pause, Cookie said, "One, not really. Two, no comment at this time. And three, you're on speakerphone."
After another long, long pause, I said, "Okie dokie then. Be there in a jiff.”

“For the first time in my life, I was in a shoot-out. A real, honest-to-goodness shoot-out with a bad guy. And, apparently, we both sucked.” ( )
  mountie9 | Aug 7, 2016 |
This is the second in the ‘grave’ series, featuring PI and not-so-grim reaper Charley and her sizeable sidekick, Cookie. It’s a far-from-serious, occasionally spicy (but nothing X-rated) gumshoe story with a side dish of supernatural sprinkles.

Set in the USA roundabout now, the story revolves around an ongoing plot with Charley’s lifetime protector and would-be beau, who happens to be the son of Satan and possibly the herald of the apocalypse.

The romantic arc plays second fiddle to the ostensible investigation involving a missing old friend and a bunch of suicides, accidents and maybe-murders which are almost certainly suspicious. Here the story mixes Charley’s ability to see and speak with the dead and – as they pass through her en route to the other side – to experience their lives and memories secondhand, along with time-honoured private investigator stuff.

It’s all quickly-paced, rapid reading, with the witty one liners and snappy banter rattling off every page. The main plot, regarding the fallen angel Rey’aziel and his unfeasibly hot body, barely progresses while every other thread scampers along, but that’s the core to the series so you can’t expect to many revelations all at once. We do learn a lot more about Reyes’ origins and, in turn, Charley’s personal mysteries, but there are plenty of threads left dangling for future episodes.

There’s a lot to enjoy in this easy-going adventure and none of it requires too much reader input, nor is it particularly gruelling or gritty. Think Stephanie Plum with a spookynatural twist and you’ll be on the right wavelength. You don’t need to have read the first book in the series to enjoy this one. There's more thoughts on plot and character over at:

The writing is sharp and sassy and packed with attitude without being nasty. It's a thoroughly entertaining romp. I’d be happy to read the next one in the series.
7/10 ( )
  RowenaHoseason | Jun 22, 2016 |
Second Grave on the Left
4 Stars

The adventures of Charley Davidson, snarky P.I. and Grim Reaper extraordinaire, continue in the second installment. Much has been said in numerous reviews about the fact that Charley's sarcasm is getting old. For me, her mocking cynicism is a huge part of her endearing personality and she wouldn't be the same if it were toned down. It also balances out the darker and grittier aspects of the storyline.

There is a lot going on in this book with 4 separate mysteries: the disappearance of Mimi Jacobs, Reyes's escape and the search for his corporeal form, the changes in Charley's father and the dead guy in Cookie's trunk. Nevertheless, it all merges together seamlessly and everything is resolved in a believable way.

Charley's relationship with Reyes takes on some subtle changes. Charley has questions about her role, and his, in the universe and refuses to allow him to distract her. She also has some issues with the other men in her life who are keeping secrets and telling her half-truths. Charley also makes a life altering decision at the climax of the story, which some readers may find selfish but for me is a pivotal moment that was necessary for the continuation of the series.

All in all, things are changing in Charley's world and I look forward to seeing where the new developments take us. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
Makes me laugh. Now onto book 3. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Jun 1, 2016 |

Darynda Jonesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the Mighty, Mighty Jones Boys, Danny, Jerrdan, and Casey.
You are the reason I breathe
Charley, hurry, wake up.

When Charley Davidson and Cookie (her best friend/receptionist) have to track down a missing woman, the case is not quite as open and shut as they anticipate. A friend of Cookie's named Mimi disappeared five days earlier. This friend then sends Cookie a cryptic message telling them to meet her at a nearby coffee shop. The coffee is brewing, but Mimi's still missing. There is, however, a clue left on the bathroom wall: a woman's name, scribbled by Mimi. Mimi's husband explains that his wife had been acting strange since she found out an old friend of hers from high school had been murdered a couple weeks prior. The same woman Mimi had named in her message.

Meanwhile, Reyes Alexander Farrow (otherwise known as the Son of Satan. Yes. Literally) has left his corporeal body and is haunting Charley. He's left his body because he's being tortured by demons who want to lure Charley closer. But Reyes can't let that happen. Because if the demons get to Charley, they'll have a portal to heaven. And if they have a portal to heaven...well, let's just say it wouldn't be pretty. Can Charley handle hot nights with Reyes and even hotter days tracking down a missing woman? Can she keep those she loves out of harm's way? And is there enough coffee and chocolate in the world to fuel her as she does?

Awakened in the middle of the night by a friend who has been texted by a missing woman, Charley Davidson discovers clues linking the disappearance to the murder of a woman two weeks earlier.

104 wanted4 pay3 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,246,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible