Jeannie Out of the Bottle by Barbara Eden

Jeannie Out of the Bottle (2011)

by Barbara Eden

I really enjoyed her autobiography. Many celebrity books are quite boring; the only other I successfully completed and enjoyed was Kristen Chenoweth's. I thought it was very interesting and I still think she is one of the prettiest women on television ( )
  aliterarylion | Jul 14, 2014 |
Delightful, easy to read autobiography by Barbara Eden. The book covers her childhood and wish to become a singing star. Her encounters with people like Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz, Bob Hope, Tom Jones, and so many other are recounted. Working with Larry Hagman on I Dream Of Jeannie sounded like a chore. It is hard to understand why so many people put up with Hagman but Eden feels the chemistry between them made the show a success. Losing two children - one to drug addiction and the other was stillborn - was heartbreaking. Eden's mother had always told her to "rise above it" and she certainly has. ( )
  knahs | Jan 21, 2014 |
I was surprised at how much I really enjoyed this book. I started reading this early this morning and finished it in one sitting. It's really well written and an enjoyable reading as you go behind the scene to the antics and tragedies in Barbara Eden's life - from the antics of a intoxicated Hagman to the death of her son Matthew.

Well worth a read especially for those who grew up watching I dream of Jeannie. ( )
  ninadangelo | May 12, 2013 |
As a kid, I grew up on the weekday afternoon repeats of I Dream of Jeannie, and easily grew to love the cute, spunky, perky, energetic Jeannie, as played by actress Barbara Eden. Years later, reading reports of how uncomfortable the set of the show was, with star Larry Hagman a drugged up egocentric mess, I felt somewhat disillusioned. Barbara Eden's new autobiography, Jeannie Out of the Bottle, brings it all back to vivid life, both the good and the bad. I chose to enjoy this title as a Book-on-CD, with Eden reading her own work. She's a fun narrator to listen to (frequently chuckling or laughing at her own text), and seems to enjoy her opportunity to share memories of her career, both pre-Jeannie and post-Jeannie. This particular book is fairly lightweight, but it was a joy to listen to, as she reminisces about past relationships, including ex-husband Michael Ansara, acting achievements, and the sad passing of her son as a result of drug addiction. But, for me, as for many other Jeannie fans, it is her chapters dealing with the origins of I Dream of Jeannie, and her experiences working on that 4-season series, that brought the biggest smile to my face. Her tales of Larry Hagman at his ego-maniacal worst are easily tempered by the love and friendship she still obviously feels for him after all these years. If you grew up on 1960s and early 1970s television sitcoms, you'll enjoy this one too!

Originally written for my local library's website: http://www.lincolnlibraries.org/depts/bookguide/srec/staffrec11-11.htm ( )
  cannellfan | Dec 18, 2011 |
Reason for Reading: I loved "I Dream of Jeannie" as a kid and really knew nothing else about Barbara Eden, other than the Harper Valley, PTA movie and brief series. I enjoy actor's memoirs from the '70s on back in time and was intrigued to see what Barbara Eden had to say for herself.

Barbara Eden comes off as a very classy, non-Hollywood-type, of lady who has lived a rich and rewarding career, meeting many famous celebrities and enjoying enough success to satisfy herself. She loves to work for the joy of it but she has also suffered some tragedies in life namely the death of her only child at his age of thirty-five.

Barbara tells the whole story of her life, briefly from early childhood, but mostly starting with her life in Hollywood as she tried to make a career for herself as a singer, got side-tracked as a model and ended up an actor, until she reached the stage when she could be both sing and act, whether on Broadway, TV or in the movies. Barbara was married to the same man for most of her career on through the Jeannie years and though she has many tales to tell, she does tell all in a certain way. She doesn't have that much to tell as she was in a faithful marriage and respected her colleagues even when they were difficult to deal with. So we get a lot of stories of who tried to pick her up and who she turned down along with the tumultuous backstage antics of Larry Hagman on the set of Jeannie. A classy book about TV and movies in the 1950s and 1960s with no s*x or vulgar language. A very interesting look into this time period of the entertainment business from someone who wasn't dragged down into the drug scene. And an insightful look inside the exciting and tragic life of an iconic woman who will always be remembered as "Jeannie". ( )
  ElizaJane | Sep 22, 2011 |
For my loving husband, Jon, my devoted manager, Gene Schwam, and of course Sidney Sheldon.
It's the end of the first day filming the 'I Dream of Jeannie' pilot, "The Lady in the Bottle," and three of us - the series's creator, writer, and producer, Sidney Sheldon; Larry Hagman, who plays Captain Anthony Nelson; and I - are in the company limo speeding the thirty miles from Malibu back to Hollywood after a long day on location at Zuma Beach, the scene of Captain Nelson's first meeting with Jeannie.

The star of the 1960s television comedy "I dream of Jeannie" reflects on the challenges she's faced and how she's maintained her humor, optimism, and Jeannie magic throughout the roller-coaster ride of a memorable life.

89 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,612,311 books! | Top bar: Always visible