Jeannie Out of the Bottle by Barbara Eden

Jeannie Out of the Bottle (2011)

by Barbara Eden

Anyone over the age of 30 must remember I Dream of Jeannie, and with the popularity of “retro” television channels I am sure Jeannie has a whole new audience in this century as well. Ms. Eden’s autobiography is well told and entertaining. She lets us in on some behind the scenes secrets of the show, she shares her personal triumphs as well as tragedies. Ms. Eden is definitely known for her role as Jeannie, but she had such a wide and varied career that I had not idea about until reading this book.

I enjoyed the book because of its casual style, making it seem as if Ms. Eden is actually talking to the reader. She drops many names and lets the reader in on some juicy gossip but, in my opinion, she portrays herself as a little too clean cut. It may all be true, but still makes me go hmmm?
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
The other reviews have pretty much said it. There is a lot of name dropping here but it's her story to write so whatever. My biggest disappointment was that "Harper Valley PTA" barely got a mention, and most of that mention was trashing the writers (probably deserved it but..) that show was a hit when I was 10 or 11, and I remember dressing up like her character for Halloween (of course no one knew who I was but...). She spends a lot of time trashing Larry H., so much so that I actually skipped past many pages because I was tired of reading it.

If you are a fan of Barbara Eden's give it a read. If you are a fan of biographies/autobiographies in general you can skip this one. This isn't the best autobiography/biography out there but it's probably your only chance to hear her story in her words (with an assistant). ( )
  Icepacklady | Jun 3, 2015 |
I really enjoyed her autobiography. Many celebrity books are quite boring; the only other I successfully completed and enjoyed was Kristen Chenoweth's. I thought it was very interesting and I still think she is one of the prettiest women on television ( )
  aliterarylion | Jul 14, 2014 |
Delightful, easy to read autobiography by Barbara Eden. The book covers her childhood and wish to become a singing star. Her encounters with people like Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz, Bob Hope, Tom Jones, and so many other are recounted. Working with Larry Hagman on I Dream Of Jeannie sounded like a chore. It is hard to understand why so many people put up with Hagman but Eden feels the chemistry between them made the show a success. Losing two children - one to drug addiction and the other was stillborn - was heartbreaking. Eden's mother had always told her to "rise above it" and she certainly has. ( )
  knahs | Jan 21, 2014 |
I was surprised at how much I really enjoyed this book. I started reading this early this morning and finished it in one sitting. It's really well written and an enjoyable reading as you go behind the scene to the antics and tragedies in Barbara Eden's life - from the antics of a intoxicated Hagman to the death of her son Matthew.

Well worth a read especially for those who grew up watching I dream of Jeannie. ( )
  ninadangelo | May 12, 2013 |
For my loving husband, Jon, my devoted manager, Gene Schwam, and of course Sidney Sheldon.
It's the end of the first day filming the 'I Dream of Jeannie' pilot, "The Lady in the Bottle," and three of us - the series's creator, writer, and producer, Sidney Sheldon; Larry Hagman, who plays Captain Anthony Nelson; and I - are in the company limo speeding the thirty miles from Malibu back to Hollywood after a long day on location at Zuma Beach, the scene of Captain Nelson's first meeting with Jeannie.

The star of the 1960s television comedy "I dream of Jeannie" reflects on the challenges she's faced and how she's maintained her humor, optimism, and Jeannie magic throughout the roller-coaster ride of a memorable life.

44 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,873,616 books! | Top bar: Always visible