Good Strategy Bad Strategy: The Difference…

Good Strategy Bad Strategy: The Difference and Why It Matters (edition 2011)

by Richard Rumelt

Member:fakelvis
Title:Good Strategy Bad Strategy: The Difference and Why It Matters
Authors:Richard Rumelt
Info:Crown Business (2011), Hardcover, 336 pages

Good Strategy Bad Strategy: The Difference and Why It Matters by Richard Rumelt

Another book too full of itself and another author too full of himself. A plethora of repetitious anecdotes and little value from them. Rumelt accuses Cornell University of bloviating, but doesn't turn his acerbic lens to a mirror. He clearly misunderstands (or deliberately misunderstands) the difference between mission and vision, and strategy.

With respect to the anecdotes, assuming his analysis is correct, it is stunning to me that there are so many examples of non-strategic notions. Strategy is "how", not "what" (it could be the author's perception, but he does have a pedigree, so...) End results are not strategy, and the author seems to want to lead the reader to believe all of his bad examples don't get this. I find that hard to believe. And as such, I wonder if Rumelt didn't craft his story to the shape of his story.

Bottom line, there are good strategies and bad strategies. And I gather the author has experience with each. But he doesn't do a good job relating which is which. Oh, he does explain his positions...but I think he cherry-picks his examples. And that is disingenuous. So...loses points.

I have a lot more notes, but I don't think this is worth the time to transcribe them. Pretentious of me? Perhaps. Okay, yes. But that's the impression I got of Rumelt. Pretentious. Unbecoming of me, and I should take the higher road.

So I did. (thus 2 stars) ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
Richard Rumelt obviously knows what there is to know about strategy work, and I love his candour when dealing with leaders focusing on vision and goals without planning - or knowing - how to get there. You can't wish yourself to success, you have to work meticulously to build a strategy with coherent elements, test it like a scientist would test a hypothesis. His many examples from business and politics underline his points well. Still there is a lack of passion, it all becomes a bit mechanical, both in the writing and the execution of his ideas. However, I have learnt more about the building blocks of strategy work in this book than in any other business book, so it was worth the read. ( )
  petterw | Jul 17, 2015 |
R. Rumelt fully justifies his position on what defines good strategy, and why there is so much bad strategy out there. Extraordinary well written. R. Rumelt has the clear, elegant framework in what he calls the "kernel"--a diagnosis explaining the nature of the challenge, a guiding policy for dealing with it, and a set of coherent actions for carrying out the policy. A must read for poeple involved in strategy creation or with an interest in strategy in general. ( )
  Adam_Bo_Petersen | Aug 5, 2013 |
Very clear and jargon free guide to what makes good strategy and how it can be distinguished from the waffle and blue sky thinking that characterises bad strategy. Good strategy is all about identifying the issue at hand, putting forward a policy for dealing with this challenge in terms of a step by step process. It is about clarifying and simplifying- getting to the heart of the issue at hand.

Simple but illuminating. ( )
  xander_paul | Nov 9, 2012 |
This book is excellent. If you ever wonder why people or organisations are getting to where they want to be while other don't, this is it. The very clear distinction between good strategy (the identification of what is in your way and how to bundle and focus what you have to get there while leaving your competition behind) and bad strategy (Imagine where you would like to be, describe it in rosy colours, select as many objectives as you can and then do not waste any time on thinking how to get there more than setting a deadline) explains it.
The book is written in clear language with a lot of impressive examples for both approaches.
This book certainly has opened my eyes on what successful strategy means, and how it can be formulated. I warmly recommend it after reading it twice in three months. ( )
1 vote ernst.schnell | Jul 3, 2012 |

Argues that a manager's central responsibility is to create and implement strategies, challenges popular motivational practices, and shares anecdotes discussing how to enable action-oriented plans for real-world results.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,606,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible