Out of a Far Country: A Gay Son's Journey to…

Out of a Far Country: A Gay Son's Journey to God. A Broken Mother's Search…

by Christopher Yuan

434267,810 (4)None

Started reading this book and couldn't put it down until it was done. I met Christopher in 2007 and have enjoyed his friendship since. The story of God's grace in rescuing him and his family from sin and death is nothing short of miraculous. This book should be required reading for every Christian. ( )
  CalvinBomb | Dec 10, 2011 |
"You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe--and shudder!" (James 1:19, ESV).

Out of a Far Country is about a son who tries to go his own way, following hard after the things that he thinks will bring him joy and satisfaction, only to discover that they do not bring lasting joy. He writes:

"The interesting thing was, even when I was selling drugs, I believed in God. But it was my own idea of God. In prison, after reading the Bible, I came across James 1:19 (NASB), which said, "Demons also believe, and shudder." I realized that simply believing was not enough..." (pg. 183).

Christopher's journey takes us to the fork in the road that we all face every day; either we can choose to live for ourselves and the things that we think that we can't live without (which the Bible calls idolatry) or we can choose to live for God, obeying Him and trusting that He is all that we need. Through Christopher's journey, Out of a Far Country touches on hard issues that affect us all and it does so in a way that is Biblically faithful.

Out of a Far Country is also about a mom who is being transformed away from self-righteousness to putting on Christ's righteousness. As God opened her eyes to her own brokenness and need for forgiveness, she realized that her son's rebellion was really no different than her own sins (pg. 72).

The truth is that we all fail to put God first every day. We all find ourselves in Christopher and/or Angela's shoes regularly. We're all tempted to rebel and go our own way or to trust in the good that we do to save us. However, both of those options fail to recognize that putting our trust in Jesus, who lived the perfect life we should have lived and died the death that we should have died, is the only way to be saved. Trusting in Jesus is also the only way to experience power to walk in newness of life.

I found Out of a Far Country easy to read and liked the way that mother and son alternated sharing parts of their story. I appreciated the tactful way that various mature subjects were handled, without going into too much detail. The Yuan's story is a testimony of God's faithfulness to redeem people for Himself. It's a story for prodigals and those who love them. It's a story of compassion, love, acceptance, learning to listen, and persisting in prayer.

*“I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.” ( )
  mejerrymouse | Aug 9, 2011 |
Out of a Far Country is a modern day version of the prodigal son with some new twists. Christopher Yuan is a young dental student, who someday is expected to join his fathers dental practice. However, he is secretly living another life exploring his homosexual desires. When Christopher is found out by his parents, he is left with the choice of his family or his homosexual lifestyle. Christopher dives fully into his new lifestyle, a lifestyle characterized by parties, drugs and sex. Through it all, God is in control as He begins to draw members of this family one by one to Himself.

This book is well written with alternating chapters being written by Christopher and Angela ( Christopher's mother ). This story was very fascinating to me as it starts with the typical gay son being kicked out of the family. However, this story takes many dramatic turns as God changes hearts of stone to flesh. Just when it seemed like Christopher could go no lower, a new low would occur in his life. Yet through it all a devoted mother was always there for her son. This book really reminded me that Christians need to love those living with homosexual desires. To see how much God changes Christopher from the beginning of the book to the end is truly inspiring. It never gets old seeing the grace of God overcome the grip of sin on a life. And on the flip side God shows his sovereignty by using Christopher's choices to draw Angela, a former atheist.I would highly recommend this book to all. There were times that I had to stop reading due to the emotions that were stirred by this book. As Christians, freedom from sin should be something none of us take for granted. ( )
2 vote hoosiers80 | Jun 20, 2011 |
OUT OF A FAR COUNTRY by Christopher Yuan and Angela Yuan with foreword by Kay WARREN is an interesting christian liveing/sexuality.It is the story of one family's struggle with homesexuality and coming home to God's amazing grace. It is an inspirational story of one son's struggle with his homesexaulity,his mother's search for hope,years of heartbreak,confusion, God's endless love,grace,a prodigal son returning home and surrender.This book is a great resource for anyone or any group who minister's to the gay community.With an eight- session guide and discussion at the end. This story shows how with prayer,redemption,forgiveness,God's loving grace,mercy, and his love we can overcome and return to him from "Out of a Far Country".What an enlightening story of homesexuality.This is a recommended story for any and all who has or knows someone in the homesexual community and wishes to minister to them.This book was received for the purpose of review from publisher and details can be found at Waterbrook Press and My Book Addiction Reviews ( )
  tarenn | Jun 3, 2011 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,962,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible