Damned by Chuck Palahniuk

Damned (2011)

by Chuck Palahniuk

698None13,980 (3.16)14
2011 (8) 2012 (10) afterlife (10) American literature (5) audio (3) audiobook (4) bildungsroman (4) damnation (4) dark humor (10) death (15) demons (14) ebook (8) fantasy (13) fiction (57) first edition (4) hell (37) horror (3) humor (18) Kindle (8) library (8) novel (11) palahniuk (4) read (13) read in 2011 (6) read in 2012 (4) Satan (14) satire (18) signed (5) teenagers (7) to-read (31)

it lost me after the description of statutory necrophilia. Repetitive call backs and an assumption the reader is stupid. Worst book of his to date and that is a feat in itself. ( )
  stevewhite71 | Mar 19, 2014 |
I really loved this book, and being a first time Chuck Palahniuk reader, I wasn't sure that I would. Damned was really right in my reading wheelhouse with it being set in Hell, and I found Maddie incredibly funny and caustic. I don't typically like reading about teens, but this certainly isn't like those YA books about teenagers that seem so popular these days. I think Palahniuk really did a great job getting into the psyche of the self-conscious, self-righteous teenage girl, and while it was a little outlandish, I thoroughly enjoyed Damned and can't wait for the sequel to come out. ( )
  morgtini | Feb 25, 2014 |
I've discovered by reading this that I am not a big fan of satire. Not even extremely well written satire, which this certainly is. So while I personally didn't like it, I would still recommend it to those who enjoy this type of book.

Damned follows the 13year old protagonist, Madison, as she wakes up in Hell after overdosing on marijuana. Each chapter begins "Are you there Satan, it's me Madison" with a little note to Satan. Madison is a sarcastic and cynical girl who has been alternately spoiled and neglected by her rich, famous, and "free-thinking" parents. She joins a group of her peers, reminiscent of The Breakfast Club, as they journey through Hell searching for Satan. Throughout Damned is an overabundance of pop-culture references, blood, gore, and all manner scenes designed to disgust and offend even the most broad minded reader. There were some moments that were laugh out loud funny, but most of the humor read more like the college equivalent of a fart joke.

This book is much too explicit to be appropriate for teens and much to corny to appeal to most adults, so I believe that this would mainly appeal to the same demographic that enjoys movies about college frat parties and the like. ( )
  ahappybooker | Feb 7, 2014 |

ahappybooker | Feb 7, 2014 |
Maddy Spencer is dead. And you're not. Isn't that just great for you?

What's even better is that she's in Hell meeting all sorts of new people and learning a lot, not that she's stupid. She may be thirteen for the rest of eternity, but she knows what “condescending” means.

If there's one thing I can always count on Chuck Palahniuk for is a quick read. If work (and sleep) hadn't gotten in the way, I could have finished this in less than the three days it took me. Fast-paced and funny, this book had me reading pieces of it out loud, much to my fiancé's chagrin and eventual amusement. ( )
  amsee | Jan 16, 2014 |
Are you there, Satan? It's me, Madison.
Trust me, the being-dead part is much easier than the dying part. If you can watch much television, then being dead will be a cinch. Actually, watching television and surfing the Internet are really excellent practice for being dead.
No, it's not fair, but what makes earth feel like Hell is our expectation that it should feel like Heaven. Earth is earth. Dead is dead. You'll find out for yourself soon enough. It won't help the situation for you to get all upset.
Probably I woke up because someone was screaming in Hell, someone is always screaming. Anyone who's ever flown London to Sydney, seated next to or anywhere in the proximity of a fussy baby, you'll no doubt fall right into the swing of things in Hell. What with the strangers and crowding and seemingly endless hours of waiting for nothing to happen, for you Hell will feel like one long, nostalgic hit of deja vu. Especially if your in-flight movie was The English Patient. In Hell, whenever the demons announce they're going to treat everyone to a big-name Hollywood movie, don't get too excited because it's always The English Patient or, unfortunately, The Piano.
Another detail to remember about Hell ... whenever you ask why anyone is damned for all eternity, she'll tell you "jaywalking" or "carrying a black purse with brown shoes" or some such pretty nonsense. In Hell you'd be foolish to count on people displaying high standards of honesty. The same goes for earth.
Don't get me wrong. Hell isn't so dreadful, not compared to Ecology Camp, and especially not compared to junior high school. Call me jaded, but not much compares to having your legs waxed or getting your navel piercing done at a mall kiosk.

As thirteen-year-old Madison tries to figure out how she died and ended up in Hell, she learns how to manipulate the corrupt system of demons and bodily fluids.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,449,073 books! | Top bar: Always visible