Don't Breathe a Word: A Novel by…

Don't Breathe a Word: A Novel (edition 2011)

by Jennifer McMahon

Member:BookNrrrd
Title:Don't Breathe a Word: A Novel
Authors:Jennifer McMahon
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:Your library, Own as of Jan 2014
Tags:Fiction, Mystery, Woman Author

Don't Breathe a Word: A Novel by Jennifer McMahon

Recently added byprivate library, Anietzerck, gandycat, hexaflexagon, Adgee, vnesting, Scratch
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: Evan & Phoebe reminded me of each other in many ways. Not a perfect recommendation.
    The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff (kaledrina)
    The Marbury Lens by Andrew Smith (kaledrina)

English (54)  Dutch (1)  All languages (55)
Taking out the word fairy would eliminate half the volume of this book. It got to where I could not concentrate on any of the genuinely creepy characters or immerse myself in the terrifying story, because every time they breathed they mentioned the fairies. ( )
  LarissaGBrown | Dec 26, 2013 |
Excellent book! What starts as a whimsical fairy tale takes a dark turn. Characters are complex, flawed, and so interesting. Couldn't put it down. ( )
  dd196406 | Oct 16, 2013 |
Creepy!!!! Kept me on the edge of my seat the whole book. ( )
  Chrisbookarama | Sep 23, 2013 |
Lots of tropes and twists. Not much else. ( )
  Nialle | Jun 19, 2013 |
Don't Breathe a Word is the story of the disappearance of Lisa, a young girl who lives near the abandoned village of Reliance. When a mysterious note is discovered supposedly from Lisa, the mystery begins to be revealed.

When I started reading this book, I was expecting a nice, light, fantasy novel. This is not what I got.

This book started off really well. However, as the novel progressed, it got very strange. I was very frustrated at times. Some clues were obvious, yet the characters in the novel took FOREVER to figure them out. Despite this, I was unable to predict the ending. Occasionally, I had a hard time keeping the clues and facts straight, and there were jumps in logic that seemed unrealistic. Some of the events that occurred in the novel would be impossible in practice (ones that were supposed to be possible without supernatural help).

Also, I was not happy with ending. The whole plot line was huge and deep and confusing. The end was a disappointment.

Some awful things happened to Lisa, as well as the other characters in the book. It was hard to read at times.

While I found this book riveting, the ending ruined the book for me.

However, if you enjoy a good mystery, this book should definitely be on your "to-read" list. ( )
  Shelby_Kuzma | Jun 14, 2013 |
In memory of my grandmother, Laura Koon Howard, M. D., who had a rational explanation for everything
Hotter than hot, no air-conditioning, sweat pouring down in rivers, the Magic Fingers motel bed vibrating beneath her, Mr. Ice Cream doing his thing above.

One soft, summer night in a small Vermont town, twelve-year-old Lisa went into the woods behind her house and never came out again. Before she disappeared, she told her brother, Sam, about a door—hidden among the ruins of an old town long forgotten—that led to a magical place. A place where she would meet Teilo, the King of the Fairies, and become his queen.
Sam didn't believe in fairies, ghosts, or anything supernatural back then, and now, fifteen years later, he still doesn't. It's on of the many things that his girlfriend, Phoebe, loves about this practical, sensible man. But a series of eerie occurrences challenges Sam's hard-headed realism. As events spin out of control, the couple finds themselves questioning their reality and Sam is reminded of a terrible promise he made years ago...a promise that could destroy them all.

On a soft summer night in Vermont, twelve-year-old Lisa went into the woods behind her house and never came out again. Before she disappeared, she told her little brother, Sam, about a door that led to a magical place where she would meet the King of the Fairies and become his queen. Her little brother, Sam, has grown up to be a levelheaded man who is still convinced that Lisa was abducted by a predator. When his girlfriend, Phoebe, receives a phone call from a frightened woman claiming to be Lisa, the two are seriously spooked and set out to discover the true identity of the mystery caller and what really occurred 15 years ago.… (more)

242 wanted1 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Don't Breathe a Word by Jennifer McMahon was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,499,520 books! | Top bar: Always visible