Don't Breathe a Word: A Novel by…

Don't Breathe a Word: A Novel (edition 2011)

by Jennifer McMahon

Member:BookNrrrd
Title:Don't Breathe a Word: A Novel
Authors:Jennifer McMahon
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:Your library, Own as of Jan 2014
Tags:Fiction, Mystery, Woman Author

Don't Breathe a Word: A Novel by Jennifer McMahon

Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: Evan & Phoebe reminded me of each other in many ways. Not a perfect recommendation.
    The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff (kaledrina)
    The Marbury Lens by Andrew Smith (kaledrina)

English (61)  Dutch (1)  All languages (62)
Wait a minute... this book is spooky! I didn't sign on for this. :/

Actually, this book turned out pretty darned good. It's not the type of book I usually go for, but I'm glad I did.
I can't even really explain the story without ruining it, so I won't even try. Let's just say there were fairies involved. Or maybe not. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Missing children and fairies. This novel alternates between current time and the time that the little girl Lisa disappeared. Apparently, the fairies took her. Or she went with the fairies willingly. Or she was kidnapped. Whatever happened, she is gone, and modern-day Phoebe is in love with Lisa's now-grown brother, Sam, and is dragged into the mystery..

This sounded like an exciting book, but it just dragged on too long. I thought I'd never stop reading about the dang fairies. The six-fingered glove, and multiple dysfunctional families. The tale was rather convoluted, and I occasionally had to stop and think about who did what to whom. The story got quite dark towards the end, but I really didn't care much about the characters and the suspense certainly didn't keep me reading until the wee hours of the morning. ( )
  TooBusyReading | Jun 19, 2016 |
When they were children, Sam's sister Lisa disappeared. She told everyone she was crossing over to the world of the fairies, and would meet the Fairy King. Everyone figured she was kidnapped, or worse. Fifteen years later, odd things begin happening to indicate Lisa was returning to her family. But the more Sam and his girlfriend Phoebe get involved in uncovering Lisa's whereabouts, the more bizarre the situation becomes. What really happened to Lisa, and do fairies really exist?

I loved the way the narrative switched with each chapter, so that both the stories of Lisa's childhood and the present unfolded simultaneously. It was like watching two mysteries unfold into one giant reveal at the end. Only, at the end, you are still not sure what you believe. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Fifteen years ago, twelve-year-old Lisa disappeared after telling people that she was going off to live with the King of the Fairies. Twenty-year-old Phoebe found herself briefly fascinated with the case, little knowing that she would eventually begin dating the missing girl's brother. He doesn't talk about the incident much, and would really rather put the past behind him, but suddenly it's all being dragged up again, and new evidence may be coming to light. What really happened that day? Who knows the truth? And were there really fairies in the woods, or is what happened to Lisa an entirely mundane sort of horror? The story alternates modern-day chapters narrated by Phoebe as she attempts to understand, and to deal with the strange turns her own life has taken, with chapters narrated by Lisa in the days leading up to her disappearance, letting us see things as Lisa saw them, although how much she might or might not have understood about what was going on is another matter.

I... I almost don't even know where to begin with this book. It's nuts, but in a good way, full of twists and turns and creepiness and darkness, and a never-ending parade of revealed layers of secrets, and moments of "Oh my god, what is even happening?," and I pretty much ate it up. Much as I want to, I can't talk about my reaction to the ending, because it would totally be a spoiler, but I will say that, while I'm sure not everyone would agree, I found it surprisingly effective.

The novel certainly isn't flawless. McMahon doesn't have much of a gift for dialog, for one thing. But it was still the most engaging, disturbing, wild ride of a story I've read in quite a while. ( )
1 vote bragan | May 14, 2016 |
This book was creepy, but a great read! I loved the ending and has me hoping there's a sequel. ( )
  Raeadav | Mar 25, 2016 |
In memory of my grandmother, Laura Koon Howard, M. D., who had a rational explanation for everything
Hotter than hot, no air-conditioning, sweat pouring down in rivers, the Magic Fingers motel bed vibrating beneath her, Mr. Ice Cream doing his thing above.

One soft, summer night in a small Vermont town, twelve-year-old Lisa went into the woods behind her house and never came out again. Before she disappeared, she told her brother, Sam, about a door—hidden among the ruins of an old town long forgotten—that led to a magical place. A place where she would meet Teilo, the King of the Fairies, and become his queen.
Sam didn't believe in fairies, ghosts, or anything supernatural back then, and now, fifteen years later, he still doesn't. It's on of the many things that his girlfriend, Phoebe, loves about this practical, sensible man. But a series of eerie occurrences challenges Sam's hard-headed realism. As events spin out of control, the couple finds themselves questioning their reality and Sam is reminded of a terrible promise he made years ago...a promise that could destroy them all.

On a soft summer night in Vermont, twelve-year-old Lisa went into the woods behind her house and never came out again. Before she disappeared, she told her little brother, Sam, about a door that led to a magical place where she would meet the King of the Fairies and become his queen. Her little brother, Sam, has grown up to be a levelheaded man who is still convinced that Lisa was abducted by a predator. When his girlfriend, Phoebe, receives a phone call from a frightened woman claiming to be Lisa, the two are seriously spooked and set out to discover the true identity of the mystery caller and what really occurred 15 years ago.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Don't Breathe a Word by Jennifer McMahon was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,719,328 books! | Top bar: Always visible