The Bollywood Beauty by Shalini Akhil

The Bollywood Beauty (edition 2005)

by Shalini Akhil

821,521,086 (3.67)None
Member:gilmore
Title:The Bollywood Beauty
Authors:Shalini Akhil
Info:Penguin Group Australia (2005), Paperback

The Bollywood Beauty by Shalini Akhil

This month's favourite. It's not a romance. Hey, I'm not even sure what the plot was, but the setting was gorgeous, and the characters splendid. It was like a rich woven fabric, and you turn to examine detail after detail, and once you're done with it, the whole picture has transformed. The book's heroine is Indo-Fijian in heritage, but melbourne born and bred. She's not ocker as such (one of her friends is though), but she's certainly not traditional. Or is she? Her cousin-slash-nemesis from Fiji is the traditional one, but in the end, the lines blur. Whiat this book captures perfectly, almost despite itself, is the insularity and inherent racism of a subculture. Everybody we meet apart from the one almost exotic white boy are Indians. There is simply no need to mention other people. All the drama and fulfillment, all the problems and solutions ultimately come from within the Indian community and its own logics and workings. It was a very satisfying read on many levels. I especially enjoyed reading about festivals and customs I had never even heard of. ( )
  kikilon | Mar 31, 2009 |
  kikianika | Jun 19, 2006 |

When a letter arrives for unhappy but ordinary Harry Potter, a decade-old secret is revealed to him that apparently he's the last to know. His parents were wizards, killed by a Dark Lord's curse when Harry was just a baby, and which he somehow survived. Leaving his unsympathetic aunt and uncle for Hogwarts, a wizarding school brimming with ghosts and enchantments, Harry stumbles upon a sinister adventure when he finds a three-headed dog guarding a room on the third floor. Then he hears of a missing stone with astonishing powers which could be valuable, dangerous, or both. Ages 9+… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,763,150 books! | Top bar: Always visible