dismiss

All That's True by Jackie Lee Miles

All That's True

by Jackie Lee Miles

Andi St. James's privileged Atlanta life is turned upside down after her brother's tragic death. As the relationships around her crumble, Andi embarks on a poignant and sometimes laugh-out-loud journey of self discovery, where she learns the devastating consequences of deception and realizes that making the most of what you've got is a big part of all that is true.--From back cover.… (more)
Member:littlebookworm
Title:All That's True
Authors:Jackie Lee Miles
Info:Sourcebooks Landmark (no date), Paperback, 320 pages
Tags:read 2011, ya, southern fiction

All That's True by Jackie Lee Miles

4.5 stars for me, although part of that is how the book resonated with my experiences at Andi's age. Not the details, but but her emotional responses to her parents divorce and the loss of childhood friends.The character of Andi was what made the book work. I liked Andi's voice, it was subtle, but clearly that of young teen. The book was at its most interesting when it explored Andi's relationships-- with her mother, struggling with alcoholism; with her best friend Bridget, who is going through her own upheaval; with her father, who has decided to move on with his life. She's self-centered in a normal teen sort of way, but she goes along with her mother signing her up as an alter girl (which she doesn't like) and to help by reading to residents of a local nursing home (which she grows to enjoy). She gets involved with a local food bank, and really seems to grow from helping others.The book is nicely written, and I think the short chapters worked well with the first person narration. The book moved enough to not get mired in the drama of her life, the serious balanced with the serious-to-Andi events like her first Sadie Hawkins dance. I look forward to reading other books by this author. ( )
  ImBookingIt | Jun 6, 2011 |
From my book review blog Rundpinne..."Miles does an exceptional job capturing the spirit of an adolescent and I would recommend All That’s True to readers who enjoy coming of age novels."...my full review may be read here: http://www.rundpinne.com/2011/02/book-review-all-thats-true-by-jackie-lee-miles.... ( )
  knittingmomof3 | Feb 22, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,872,878 books! | Top bar: Always visible