Bubba and the Dead Woman by C. L. Bevill

Bubba and the Dead Woman (edition 2012)

by C. L. Bevill (Author)

Member:sherry69
Title:Bubba and the Dead Woman
Authors:C. L. Bevill (Author)
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), 300 pages
Tags:c l bevill, murder, mystery, humor, read in 2016, 4 star review

Bubba and the Dead Woman by C.L. Bevill

Bubba and the Dead Woman by C L Bevill is the first book in the Bubba Snoddy mystery series. If you like some humor and laughs mixed in with your murder mysteries, this series is for you.

Bubba is a big man with a gentle nature and he lives in a small town with an attitude. He sounds like a backwoods hick…half the time, but he is more than he appears to be. He is a fabulously complex character who projects a false facade to protect himself.

His faithful basset hound, Precious is his constant companion, refusing to be left behind. She may look harmless, but she will not let anyone harm her human.

It seems like trouble will forever follow him around, along with dead bodies, so it is no surprise when he stumbles across Melissa Dearman. The surprise is that he has a past with her. The news travels fast through the grapevine of Pegramville and the sheriff haunts his every move.

His mom, Miz Demetrice is a spitfire and you need to think twice before you cross her. She is wacky and wild.

The writing makes me think of the Andy Griffith show, with a bit of Dukes of Hazard and the Beverly Hillbillies thrown in.

Bubba is shot at, beaten up, lured into a pit, falls down the stairs and someone tries to burn his house down with him in it. How much more abuse can the poor guy take before he solves the mystery?

Rip roaring, thigh slapping good fun. Even the dog’s ‘conversations’ are funny, showing her personality. I couldn’t help but crack up when she tries to play hard to get with her human because she’s mad at him. I love when a critter adds an extra element to the story and Precious does that in spades. She may be my favorite character.

Mysteries abound with legends of treasure and plenty of people in the suspect pool.

If Bubba and the Dead Woman by C L Bevill is the first book in the Bubba Snoddy mystery series, but this book will stand alone. ( )
  sherry69 | Feb 13, 2017 |
A mystery, romance, quirky humor it touched my funny bone so hard I just had to go out and buy the rest of the Bubba series. The characters are so well developed I forgot the characters were not real, I was invested in them. Take the time to read this light-hearted, quirky mystery you will be glad you did. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Jul 30, 2016 |
To good ole' boy crude for my taste. I just could not get over the testosterone level. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
This was re-edited in 2014 and I didn't see lots of grammatical errors. What I did read was a mystery with a likable main character, his ditsy mother, a competent police officer, and a town full of interesting people. I enjoyed this mystery.

I think if you like your mysteries with a good dose of humor, you'll enjoy this book. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Dec 8, 2015 |
A bit of a slow start, but well worth persevering. If you read my reviews on a regular basis, you know I like mysteries that are populated with slightly crazy characters. This one has plenty of that, and a big pile of southern charm.
Our hero, Bubba is not one to get mad easily, but he’s also not prepared to take the rap for a murder he didn’t do – well, as long as his mother didn’t do it either. The story ambles through Bubba’s attempts to find out who killed the dead woman found on his property, and to find out who is haunting his mother’s mansion. Maybe the same person?

I recommend this to readers of Ben Rehder. I’m certainly going to be getting the others in this series. ( )
  Perrywilson | Feb 3, 2015 |

Bubba is a good old boy with lots of problems. His ex-fiancee is deader than a door nail and everyone thinks he dun did it. His house is haunted. His mother is running an illegal gambling ring. His dog likes to bite people too much. And he's got to find out who really did it before the sheriff throws him in jail...again.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,177,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible