Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of…

Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Nina Sankovitch

Member:almigwin
Title:Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading
Authors:Nina Sankovitch
Info:Harper (2011), Hardcover, 256 pages
Tags:reading, memoir

Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading by Nina Sankovitch (2011)

English (47)  Dutch (1)  All languages (48)
And another half a star. I really did enjoy it but it wasn't what I was expecting which may be why it's not a four. ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
I could not get into this one at all. I found it a very odd book, with not enough focus for me on either the books she read or her personal life / grieving process. Felt very superficial on both sides as a result. Just not my thing. And I admit I gave up about 60% of the way through, so it might be that the last third is amazing. The old me would have slogged through the rest; new me is moving on.
  AmyCahillane | Feb 24, 2016 |
Not as exciting as I expected it to be, I think because I had a hard time connecting with the author. I know this is obnoxious of me—and not that this was the only reason I didn't connect with her—but I get kind of impatient with women who talk a lot about how stressed they are because they're so busy making snacks for their teenagers. Look, just don't do it. They can do it themselves. Seriously, every time Sankovitch mentioned her kids wanting food (and it was a lot of times) she also mentioned personally handing it to them (even at the beach, out of a cooler). Just... Oy. I also didn't find myself as intrigued as I thought I'd be by the books she was reading, possibly because she summarized them (including occasional spoilers) and included lots of quotes but didn't really draw the connections that I would have drawn from them. They just felt sort of thrown out there, to be taken at face value, as though the fact that a character in a book said them made them fact. Still enjoyed it just for the premise, which really appeals to me in theory even though I would never want to make reading such a project.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
Nina Sankovitch has been reading her whole life. Her parents and two sisters were also very avid readers.
Nina loses her sister, Anne-Marie to cancer, and takes life devastatingly hard, going all out to make sure that she encompasses everything that life offer like running, going at all speeds.
She comes to the conclusion that she is going to take a year and read a book a day, to try and bring her sorrow to some kind of conclusion.
Nina shares with us some of the philosophies that she acquires during her reading a book a day and they seemed to have worked for her in her grief from losing her sister.
While I understood having to deal with grief in your own way, I don't think that I could have dealt with it in the same manner. I read, have always read, but my turn to books is as an escape from the normal and the opportunity to escape into someone else's story and put my own away for a short period of time.

Kudos to Nina for using the tool that made her deal with her grief in her way and for sharing that with us. ( )
  JReynolds1959 | Aug 30, 2015 |
We need the books that affect us like a disaster, that grieve us deeply, like the death of someone we loved more than ourselves, like being banished into forests far from everyone, like a suicide. A book must be the ax for the frozen sea inside us. -- Frank Kafka, letter to Oskar Pollak, January 27, 1904
A book is a garden, an orchard, a storehouse, a party, a company by the way, a counselor, a multitude of counselors. -- Henry Ward Beecher, Proverbs from Plymouth Pulpit
In memory of Anne-Marie Sankovitch and for our family
In September 2008 my husband, Jack, and I went away for a weekend, leaving our four kids in the care of my parents.
It is that search for order that drives my hunger for reading mysteries. Sure, I find sparks of wisdom in a good mystery, but what I am really looking for are solutions. I'm searching for an order in the universe. In a world where, sometimes, very little makes sense, a mystery can take the twists and turns of life and run them through a plot that eventually does make sense. A solution to a question is found. The sense of satisfaction is huge.

This celebration of the richness of reading will reward anyone who loves to read. Editor Review (reviewed on April 1, 2011)

This is a far better book than one might expect from the categories into which it seems to fall. It initially seems like a book in which the author commits to reading the encyclopedia, the Bible or some other exhaustive work, only in this case the challenge is to read, and review, a book per day for a full year. Yet the impetus fits this into a separate category of mourning memoirs, for it was the death of the author's sister that inspired her regimen. Ultimately, the results transcend categories, comparisons and matters of marketing, because what Sankovitch has accomplished in her first book is not only to celebrate the transformational, even healing, powers of reading, but to give the reader a feeling of reading those books as well, through the eyes of an astute reader. Her choices are eclectic, international, unpredictable (even by her), the main mandate being that each is manageable enough to be read in a day. Avoiding the tedium of a diary, the author deals with the books thematically in chapters that focus on love, death, family, even the joys of reading, as she skillfully interweaves a memoir of growing up in a bookish immigrant family and developing a complicated, loving relationship with her oldest sister. After cancer claimed her sister at the age of 46, Sankovitch plunged into relentless activity—"I was scared of living a life not worth the living." But hyperactivity failed to ease her mourning, so on her own 46th birthday, she dedicated herself to reading, not as a simple escape, but "as an escape back to life." Intelligent, insightful and eloquent, Sankovitch takes the leader on the literary journey, demonstrating how after "trying to anaesthetize myself from what I'd lost…I'd finally stopped running away."

As a bonus, even the well-read reader will be inspired to explore some of the books from this magical year.

Agent: Esther Newberg/ICM Kirkus Review http://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-rev...

Torn apart by grief after losing her sister, the author, a mother of four, turned to literature for comfort, devoting herself to reading one book a day for a year, which brought much needed joy, healing, and wisdom into her life.

Nina Sankovitch is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

149 wanted3 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,486,314 books! | Top bar: Always visible