Turn Right at Machu Picchu: Rediscovering…

Turn Right at Machu Picchu: Rediscovering the Lost City One Step at a Time (edition 2012)

by Mark Adams

Title:Turn Right at Machu Picchu: Rediscovering the Lost City One Step at a Time
Authors:Mark Adams
Info:Plume (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Donated to Degenstein Library Book sale, Your library, books read: total, no longer owned, Read but unowned
Tags:Book, travel, history, Cultural property -- Protection -- Peru -- Machu Picchu Site, Adams; Mark; 1967- -- Travel -- Peru -- Machu Picchu Site, Bingham; Hiram; 1875-1956, Machu Picchu Site (Peru), softcover, Otto's Bookstore

Turn Right at Machu Picchu: Rediscovering the Lost City One Step at a Time by Mark Adams

I read this book in preparation for my own trip to Machu Picchu. I only had time to read one in-depth account of the site and its surroundings, and I am very glad I chose this one over the several available. Mark Adams perfectly mixes scholarly and entertaining, scientific and sacred. The book moves at a good pace, not dragging in the middle or getting bogged down by details. Plus, I learned a lot about the place I will be visiting: its history from ancient to present, its relationship to other Incan sites and to Incan beliefs, and a little bit about what I can expect on the trek to see it. I would recommend the book to anyone interested in understanding Machu Picchu more completely, whether they plan to visit it or not. It's a very enjoyable read. ( )
  trwm | Oct 6, 2016 |
Very interesting and worth reading, but lacking in the adventure department.. ( )
  Deankut | Sep 26, 2016 |
A must read if you are going to Machu Picchu. Funny and factual. Give you a good sense of the culture of Peru as well as the history and reality of this wonderful site! ( )
  SignoraEdie | Aug 29, 2015 |
Having visited Machu Picchu, I found this particularly interesting and learned a great deal. As one could guess from the title, the author's writing style makes heavy use of sarcasm and humor. It seemed like a very long magazine article.
  fredheid | Jun 30, 2015 |
Very interesting re-treacing of the Machu Picchu rediscovery in 1911. My only complaint was the lack of maps to help understand how the sites and trails were linked. ( )
  addunn3 | Apr 15, 2015 |
For Aurita
As the man dressed head to toe in khaki turned the corner and began racewalking uphill in my direction, I had to wonder: had we met before?
"I know it's a lot to take in," John said. "Any questions so far?"

I could only think of one. "Is this harder than the Inca Trail?"

For a split second, John looked like he didn't understand me. "Mark, this trek is a lot harder than the Inca Trail."

Traces the author's recreation of Hiram Bingham III's discovery of the ancient citadel Machu Picchu in the Andes Mountains of Peru, describing his struggles with rudimentary survival tools and his experiences at the sides of local guides.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,723,340 books! | Top bar: Always visible