Turn Right at Machu Picchu: Rediscovering…

Turn Right at Machu Picchu: Rediscovering the Lost City One Step at a Time (edition 2012)

by Mark Adams

Member:manatree
Title:Turn Right at Machu Picchu: Rediscovering the Lost City One Step at a Time
Authors:Mark Adams
Info:Plume (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Donated to Degenstein Library Book sale, Your library, books read: total, no longer owned, Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:Book, travel, history, Cultural property -- Protection -- Peru -- Machu Picchu Site, Adams; Mark; 1967- -- Travel -- Peru -- Machu Picchu Site, Bingham; Hiram; 1875-1956, Machu Picchu Site (Peru), softcover, Otto's Bookstore

Turn Right at Machu Picchu: Rediscovering the Lost City One Step at a Time by Mark Adams

Having visited Machu Picchu, I found this particularly interesting and learned a great deal. As one could guess from the title, the author's writing style makes heavy use of sarcasm and humor. It seemed like a very long magazine article.
  fredheid | Jun 30, 2015 |
Very interesting re-treacing of the Machu Picchu rediscovery in 1911. My only complaint was the lack of maps to help understand how the sites and trails were linked. ( )
  addunn3 | Apr 15, 2015 |
Mark Adams spent some time in Peru following in the footsteps (more or less) of Hiram Bingham III, the "discoverer" of the ruins of Machu Picchu. (You kind of have to put the scare quotes around "discoverer," given that there were actually people living there at the time. Not that his expedition wasn't still an impressive feat.) Adams intersperses his account of his own travels with a lot of details about Bingham's life and work, as well as a little bit of Incan history. It's interesting (and very bloody) history, and Adams certainly makes it sound like a marvelous place to visit in person. But, I have to say, my initial reaction to his writing is that while it was perfectly OK, and even featured a few nice, snappy metaphors, it wasn't exactly the liveliest travelog I'd ever read, and the Bingham chapters could actually get a little bit dull. I did like it better as it went along, though, and I suspect the book's failure to grip me quite as much as I would have liked may have had more to do with my mood than with Adams' prose. It is entirely too bad, though, that the photo section is all black-and-white, as it seems like the sights he's describing are definitely ones that deserve to be seen in color. ( )
  bragan | Mar 3, 2015 |
My friend had some books she was giving away and this one seemed interesting. After several weeks of not wanting to pick it back up and seeing it just sit there on my Good Reads currently reading list I had to just give up on it. I enjoyed it when I was reading it most of the time but I found going back into the history so much became boring to me. I learned things I did not know and wish I could have stuck with it but I have way to many other books to read. If you like travel books, a lot of history and do not have a pile of books staring you in the face you might enjoy this book. ( )
  theeccentriclady | Jul 28, 2014 |
What a wonderful book. For the person intending to visit the awe inspiring site, to the armchair traveler, this is the real deal! Ably narrated by Andrew Garman, I wholeheartedly recommend listening to the audible version. My one tiny regret is that I could not see how the Quechua language was rendered in print.

There is so much more to the story of Machu Picchu than I ever understood. I almost thought about buying some hiking boots... ( )
  kaulsu | Jul 9, 2014 |
For Aurita
As the man dressed head to toe in khaki turned the corner and began racewalking uphill in my direction, I had to wonder: had we met before?
"I know it's a lot to take in," John said. "Any questions so far?"

I could only think of one. "Is this harder than the Inca Trail?"

For a split second, John looked like he didn't understand me. "Mark, this trek is a lot harder than the Inca Trail."

Traces the author's recreation of Hiram Bingham III's discovery of the ancient citadel Machu Picchu in the Andes Mountains of Peru, describing his struggles with rudimentary survival tools and his experiences at the sides of local guides.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,016,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible