In a Treacherous Court by Michelle Diener

In a Treacherous Court (2011)

by Michelle Diener

ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |
1 vote PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |
  PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |
  PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |
Full review to be posted soon:

I rarely read mysteries but I do love this setting and time period. Susanna and Parker were fantastic characters and I loved how unconventional they were compared to the courtiers and nobles in the royal court of King Henry the 8th. Parker being a self made man who went up the ranks to the King's yeoman and Susanna being a court artist and illuminator, added a different dimension to the usual roles I have read and it was interesting to note they were based on real people too. Their romance was also a highlight and the strongest element in the book, Parker was really intense and ruthless which surprised me and I really liked that and Susanna's honesty and frankness was refreshing too. My only gripe was the mystery which kind of dragged in places especially in the middle and I think it lost the tension and momentum of the tense tone although it definitely picked up later in the book. I will definitely pick up the next book in the series because I was really engrossed with the main characters and what kind of intrigues they would get caught up in future books. I really think this will appeal to both mystery and romance readers! ( )
  Has_bookpusher | Sep 20, 2013 |
To my husband, who supported me and never once thought I wouldn't achieve my dreams, and to my children, who have learned to repeat themselves with good grace when their mother is so deep in her work she doesn't hear them the first time.
"I am the keeper of Paradise, Purgatory and Hell."

An unconventional woman. A deadly enemy. A clash of intrigue, deception, and desire. . . . February 1525: Artist Susanna Horenbout is sent from Belgium to be Henry VIII’s personal illuminator inside the royal palace. But her new homeland greets her with an attempt on her life, and the King’s most lethal courtier, John Parker, is charged with keeping her safe. As further attacks are made, Susanna and Parker realize that she unknowingly carries the key to a bloody plot against the throne. For while Richard de la Pole amasses troops in France for a Yorkist invasion, a traitor prepares to trample the kingdom from within.Who is the mastermind? Why are men vying to kill the woman Parker protects with his life? With a motley gang of urchins, Susanna’s wits, and Parker’s fierce instincts, honed on the streets and in palace chambers, the two slash through deadly layers of deceit in a race against time. For in the court of Henry VIII, secrets are the last to die. . . .Brilliantly revealing a little-known historical figure who lived among the Tudors, Michelle Diener makes a smashing historical fiction debut.

In 1525, artist Susanna Horenbout is sent from Belgium to be Henry VIII's personal illuminator. After an attempt is made on Susanna's life, John Parker, the king's most lethal courtier, is charged with keeping her safe.Further attacks are made and Susanna and Parker realize that she unknowningly carries the key to a plot against the throne. With a gang of urchins, their wits and instincts, the two work through the layers of deceit at the court of the king.… (more)

Michelle Diener is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,241,965 books! | Top bar: Always visible