Forgotten by Cat Patrick

Forgotten

by Cat Patrick

English (61)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (63)
Forgotten, Cat Patrick’s debut novel is one that is much deeper, more emotional, than it first lets on. Sixteen-year-old London Lane only remembers the future. Every morning (or night) at 4:33 am, her memory of the day to come is erased, leaving her to navigate her day using only notes she’s left herself (along with some help from her mother and best friend).

Unable to remember her past or know what’s going to happen on the day she’s about to experience, London has learned over the years to leave herself notes each night about what she remembers about the next day—from what to wear, to what to study, to what events from the previous days are pertinent.

But just as we all forget some little things, so does London, leaving her looking scatterbrained sometimes.

A lapse in her notes can’t explain why she doesn’t remember Luke Henry the new boy at school. Or why she can’t find him in her memories of things to come. And Luke Henry is not a boy a girl would easily forget, either. So what’s going on?

And who is Luke?

The concept of Forgotten is appealing enough to draw readers in – but it is its actual execution that will cause word of its brilliance to spread like wildfire. The little things are most definitely not forgotten in this novel. In fact, they’re what make it shine.

Some scenes leaving the reader positively aching for London and the fact that she won’t remember the experience, they’re so perfect. It’s almost cruel to have her experience something so special (one instance in particular) and then forget.

Cat Patrick has written a novel where you truly forget that they character is a character and not a real person.

Complex, heavy issues are dealt with in addition to London’s memory trouble making Forgotten about London’s life, not just how London lives her life. All parts of the story were given enough attention and contributed to, rather than took away from, each other.

Forgotten is hopefully going to be a movie and all I can say is that it had better be, this is one book that I cannot wait to see adapted to the big screen.

10/10 – I am eagerly, eagerly awaiting more from Ms. Patrick
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
Loved, loved, loved this book. I couldn't put it down all day! I recently read "Before I go to Sleep" and this book seemed like a young adult version of that book, only the speaker could remember parts of the future. It was a great book! ( )
  PrescottKris | Jan 26, 2015 |
I didn't like it. I read over 100 pages to give it a chance but it made no sense to me. I will not read this book again. Dissapointed in how it was written. I think it could use a few more drafts to rewrite some things... ( )
  siquebella | Jul 29, 2014 |
This young adult novel had a very intresting concept- only the future is remembered instead of the past. Even one day before is forgotten. I really enjoyed Forgotten and look forward to more by Patrick. ( )
  LauraT81 | Jun 5, 2014 |
Wonderful YAL novel that feels like it gets back to the basics of being a teenager - while the main character has a sort of "super power," the emotions and events she encounters are purely teen. You almost forget that her situation seems supernatural. One of my students gave me this book and I have since passed it on to other students. Great for reluctant readers! ( )
  HeatherCHoffman | Mar 6, 2014 |

Each night at precisely 4:33 am, while sixteen-year-old London Lane is asleep, her memory of that day is erased. In the morning, all she can "remember" are events from her future. London is used to relying on reminder notes and a trusted friend to get through the day, but things get complicated when a new boy at school enters the picture. Luke Henry is not someone you'd easily forget, yet try as she might, London can't find him in her memories of things to come.

When London starts experiencing disturbing flashbacks, or flash-forwards, as the case may be, she realizes it's time to learn about the past she keeps forgetting-before it destroys her future.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:05 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old London Lane forgets everything each night and must use notes to struggle through the day, even to recall her wonderful boyfriend, but she "remembers" future events and as her "flashforwards" become more disturbing she realizes she must learn more about the past lest it destroy her future.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,089,498 books! | Top bar: Always visible