Forgotten by Cat Patrick

Forgotten

by Cat Patrick

English (59)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (61)
I didn't like it. I read over 100 pages to give it a chance but it made no sense to me. I will not read this book again. Dissapointed in how it was written. I think it could use a few more drafts to rewrite some things... ( )
  siquebella | Jul 29, 2014 |
This young adult novel had a very intresting concept- only the future is remembered instead of the past. Even one day before is forgotten. I really enjoyed Forgotten and look forward to more by Patrick. ( )
  LauraT81 | Jun 5, 2014 |
Wonderful YAL novel that feels like it gets back to the basics of being a teenager - while the main character has a sort of "super power," the emotions and events she encounters are purely teen. You almost forget that her situation seems supernatural. One of my students gave me this book and I have since passed it on to other students. Great for reluctant readers! ( )
  HeatherCHoffman | Mar 6, 2014 |
I found Forgotten to be a real page turner. It was hard to put down. Fascinating idea to have one's mind wiped clean each night. Though it was repetitive I liked the idea of her meeting her boyfriend again for the first time each day. I would have liked a clearer resolution of the mystery within the story. Maybe the author plans another book. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
I read the synopsis for Forgotten and thought the memory-reset idea would play out well on audio format. And it does work well, but you really have to be a very active listener because of the main character’s short-term memory loss to be sure you don’t miss anything. The concept hooked me and made me want to keep listening to find out the root of London’s memory lapses, and why she can see flash-forwards. Ultimately the payoff wasn’t as exciting as I had imagined, though it is an interesting ride overall.

London wakes up everyday and reviews her notes and then goes off to school. If she doesn’t remember to write something down then life can get very confusing for her. The only people in on her little secret are her mother and her best friend Jamie. I thought it was interesting how she handled certain situations where her memory fails by taking a look at the future for clues. It sounds confusing, and it is, and I was trying to pay close attention to all the details about future, past, current and dream events to piece it all together.

Luke is a sweet love interest for London, and super patient with her. They do have close calls where her memory issues threaten to be exposed, and I wondered when he would catch on. The whole time I was reading I was trying to think of the movie this situation reminded me of, and it’s 50 First Dates with Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler, where she also has short-term memory loss. I was very intrigued with the mystery of why Luke didn’t appear in London’s future, and just when I thought I figured it out there was a new twist.

Veteran reader Julia Whelan narrates the audio. I’m familiar with her from Die For Me so was confident that she would do well with the material. She is great with the voice of London, and sounds like a teenager, and speaks clearly and with a nice pace. She conveys London’s different emotions well, and brings the mysterious plot to life. She does use different voices for the characters, but I preferred her voice for London and the female characters best. Like I said before, the nature of the story is a bit mysterious and confusing, so you have to pay close attention. I usually don’t rewind audiobooks to listen to passages again, but I was tempted with this book. This is a short audio of only 6 hours, and it kept me entertained throughout. I have other audiobooks by Julia Whelan and look forward to listening to more from her.

I liked the mystery of Forgotten, and that the story is different from the norm. It has a lot to offer from mystery, and romance, to family drama. Though the ending did not quite live up to its promise for me, I’m still glad I read it. Forgotten is a standalone book, and I look forward to picking up Cat Patrick’s next offering Revived, due out in May. ( )
  readingdate | Jan 7, 2014 |

Each night at precisely 4:33 am, while sixteen-year-old London Lane is asleep, her memory of that day is erased. In the morning, all she can "remember" are events from her future. London is used to relying on reminder notes and a trusted friend to get through the day, but things get complicated when a new boy at school enters the picture. Luke Henry is not someone you'd easily forget, yet try as she might, London can't find him in her memories of things to come.

When London starts experiencing disturbing flashbacks, or flash-forwards, as the case may be, she realizes it's time to learn about the past she keeps forgetting-before it destroys her future.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:47 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old London Lane forgets everything each night and must use notes to struggle through the day, even to recall her wonderful boyfriend, but she "remembers" future events and as her "flashforwards" become more disturbing she realizes she must learn more about the past lest it destroy her future.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,466,297 books! | Top bar: Always visible