The Girl Who Was on Fire: Your Favorite…

The Girl Who Was on Fire: Your Favorite Authors on Suzanne Collins'…

by Leah Wilson (Editor)

Other authors: Jennifer Lynn Barnes (Contributor), Mary Borsellino (Contributor), Sarah Rees Brennan (Contributor), Terri Clark (Contributor), Bree Despain (Contributor)8 more, Adrienne Kress (Contributor), Sarah Darer Littman (Contributor), Cara Lockwood (Contributor), Elizabeth M. Rees (Contributor), Carrie Ryan (Contributor), Ned Vizzini (Contributor), Lili Wilkinson (Contributor), Blythe Woolston (Contributor)

Series: Smart Pop

In The Girl Who Was on Fire, thirteen YA authors take you back to Panem with moving, dark, and funny pieces on Katniss, the Games, Gale and Peeta, reality TV, survival, and more. From the trilogy's darker themes of violence and social control to fashion and weaponry, the collection's exploration of the Hunger Games reveals exactly how rich, and how perilous, protagonist Katniss' world really is. Another book to the hunger games ( )
  GiannaB.b1 | Mar 1, 2015 |
While some of the articles were riveting, others had a more stagnant quality. I suppose it all depended on what you got out of The Hunger Games themselves. It definitely made me want to reread the trilogy, if that was the book's intent. ( )
  liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |
  liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |
I bought this book for a few reasons. One, I enjoyed the "Mapping the World of Harry Potter" so much. Two, the eBook version had some bonus material based on the movie. Three, I'd just seen the Hunger Games movie and wanted to sound smart when talking about it.

I don't think these essays are as good as the Harry Potter ones, for a few reasons. One, the authors weren't as well-established. They seemed too New York Times snobby (they certainly aren't my "favorite authors"). Two, a lot of the essays kept covering the same material over and over -- Katniss is a strong woman, Peeta vs. Gale, social stratification. It could also be that there's less material to cover, given that there's only three books. And each of those books tend to repeat each the same material.

I don't see any real reason to read this one. Unlike Harry Potter, I think The Hunger Games is too contemporary to become a legend. It's a sign of our times, and those times, they are a-changing. And don't think this revelation makes me happy. But I don't see a real reason to recommend this. ( )
  theWallflower | Mar 14, 2014 |
There are some real gems in this essay collection, but you'll have to look closer to the end of the book for them. Too many of the early essays focus on the love triangle (the worst aspect of the trilogy in my opinion) or the healing power of love (without bothering to define what they mean by that). Ned Vizzini's essay is a knock out, though. So ask your library to buy it and then borrow it. ( )
  JWarren42 | Oct 10, 2013 |

Ryan, CarrieContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vizzini, NedContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wilkinson, LiliContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Woolston, BlytheContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
The Hunger Games is, without question, a great series. Millions of readers have stuck with Katniss Everdeen through three books, two rounds of Games, and a war - and still can't get enough.

Presents a collection of essays about the triology "Hunger Games" by author Suzanne Collins, discussing the major themes, characters, and social and political commentary contained in the works.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,175,601 books! | Top bar: Always visible