dismiss

Hell and Gone (Charlie Hardie) by Duane…

Hell and Gone (Charlie Hardie) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Duane Swierczynski

"The second of three high-energy thrillers arriving back-to-back from cult crime fiction sensation Duane Swierczynski. After barely walking away with his life from a shootout that will go down in Hollywood history, ex-cop Charlie Hardie discovers things can, in fact, get even worse. He is kidnapped by a team of team of undercover operatives and forced to stand guard over an underground prison that houses the most dangerous criminals on earth. Or so he's told. As Hardie goes deeper, and finds himself behind bars, he begins to wonder: who is running the asylum and are the good guys the ones behind bars or the ones walking the halls? But, Hardie knows that the world outside hasn't stopped and that his family is in peril as he languishes in this pseudo-prison. Soon, Hardie is plotting a desperate escape that will visit a Pandora's box of mayhem upon the state of California. He'll make some new enemies. But he'll take care of many more. Because nobody does justice like Charlie Hardie. And if you threaten his family, you better believe there'll be hell to pay"--"After barely walking away with his life from a shootout that will go down in Hollywood history, ex-cop Charlie Hardie discovers things can, in fact, get even worse. He is kidnapped by a team of team of undercover operatives and forced to stand guard over an underground prison that houses the most dangerous criminals on earth. Or so he's told. As Hardie goes deeper, and finds himself behind bars, he begins to wonder: who is running the asylum and are the good guys the ones behind bars or the ones walking the halls? But, Hardie knows that the world outside hasn't stopped and that his family is in peril as he languishes in this pseudo-prison. Soon, Hardie is plotting a desperate escape that will visit a Pandora's box of mayhem upon the state of California. He'll make some new enemies. But he'll take care of many more. Because nobody does justice like Charlie Hardie. And if you threaten his family, you better believe there'll be hell to pay"--… (more)
Member:Skaidon
Title:Hell and Gone (Charlie Hardie)
Authors:Duane Swierczynski
Info:Mulholland Books (2011), Edition: 1, Paperback, 304 pages

Hell and Gone by Duane Swierczynski (2011)

The Straw Men by Michael Marshall Smith (amobogio)
    amobogio: The Straw Men and the Accident People are similar writers of secret histories. The Straw Men are nastier.

While technically a sequel, this is quite different in setting and action, almost like the author is just exploring another format with some of the same characters as the first novel. He pulls it off and it is a fun ride. But definitely a departure from the first book. ( )
  Skybalon | Mar 19, 2020 |
A trip thru hell and back. Kept my attention and I could not put it
down. Take a thrill ride through hell ( )
  DaveWilde | Sep 22, 2017 |
Picking up directly after the events of [b:Fun and Games|9583669|Fun and Games|Duane Swierczynski|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1297867711s/9583669.jpg|14470611], we find Charlie Hardie in the clutches of The Industry or The Accident People or Secret America, or whatever you want to call them. While Hardie's former colleague is on the lookout for him, finding him proves difficult. "They" don't screw around when they have a task to accomplish and burying the whereabouts of Hardie is their number one objective.

Upon awakening, Hardie finds himself deep underground in a prison somewhere on Earth. I know that's a little vague but Hardie knows next to nothing about where he is, what day it is or even what the time is so he's more than slightly lost. Charged with the task of running the prison as Warden, Charlie is responsible for detaining prisoners with backgrounds so devious, neither himself nor his staff are to be told why they're there. The punishment for not playing along? His family's safety is on the line.

I'm really digging this series although I have to admit, it took me a while to really get behind this book. I feel like Sweirczynski had a lot to live up to after the events of [b:Fun and Games|9583669|Fun and Games|Duane Swierczynski|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1297867711s/9583669.jpg|14470611] and while it took a bit to get going, he finished very, very strong. A few of the confrontations near the end came across as both intense and hilarious, especially his dialogue with Abrams .

I seriously have no idea where Swierczynski is going from here. The final pages present a scenario so ridiculous that I can't help but be interested. It's unfortunate that there appears to be a delay in it's release but I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on it. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
Every bit as good as the first book in the series. I can't wait for the 3rd book in the trilogy. Swierczynski is tops in his field, great style of writing and able to tell a great story that keeps you turning pages. ( )
  bjkelley | Mar 2, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Charlie “"Unkillable Chuck" Hardie is back, after barely surviving the epic shootout with the devious Accident People in Fun & Games. If you thought that was a sinister rollercoaster ride, just tighten your grip on the crash-bar, because you are about to take a wicked plunge, tumbling along with Charlie down the rabbit hole.
I’m not sure anyone is writing crime novels, with such crazed and inventive audacity, as
Swiercynski. These books are smart, funny and mind-blowing. I can’t wait to see what he has in store for the final book in the trilogy. I’m leaving my flak jacket on, just in case. ( )
1 vote msf59 | May 28, 2012 |
For David Hale Smith
Julie Lippman woke up early the day her boyfriend died.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Duane Swierczynski's book Hell And Gone was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,840,590 books! | Top bar: Always visible