God's War (Bel Dame Apocrypha) by…

God's War (Bel Dame Apocrypha) (edition 2011)

by Kameron Hurley

Member:etimme
Title:God's War (Bel Dame Apocrypha)
Authors:Kameron Hurley
Info:Night Shade Books (2011), Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:read 2012, to review

God's War by Kameron Hurley

Perdido Street Station by China Miéville (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Two excellent examples of twisted, dark and brutal stories with unexpected sci-fi/fantasy elements and engrossing worlds.

I really liked this book. I liked it so much I don't really trust my review of it, because I'm well aware that I'm blind to the book's flaws.

I'm especially fond of the character Nyx. She is balanced in a place that I find absolutely fascinating. She's not a complete femme fatale a la Linda Fiorentino's Wendy Kroy in The Last Seduction, but she isn't female hero in the mold of Buffy Summers or Sookie Stackhouse who balances her strength with her vulnerability. Nyx operates only from a position of strength and refuses to acknowledge her own weakness and vulnerabilities. What makes this particular character so fascinating is that she still *has* weaknesses and vulnerabilities and the flaws in her approach are apparent. Nyx is aware of her limitations, but is just too stubborn to give up. She is who she is

This innate stubbornness and unwillingness to accept her limitations is key to who she is. It has its best expression in her relationship with Rhys. Rhys is another character worth his weight in gold. He's a coward and plays the kind of role usually relegated to the pretty girl in a boy's adventure story. He's pretty and smart, but a little delicate and not quite strong enough to get by on his own, so he needs someone like Nyx to look out for him. I really liked reading how Hurley wrote him. In this classic reversal of gender roles, she writes the "princess" character better than all those boys writing their rescue fantasies.

The plot was also good, and I enjoyed the film noire type twists and turns at the end, but what really sold me on this book and the Bel Dame Apocrypha in general was the characters of Nyx and Rhys and how they move around each other in the world. ( )
1 vote nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |
Tiptree shortlist 2011.
Despite being unremittingly grim and violent, and a bit confused at times, the story did draw me in. ( )
  SChant | Apr 15, 2014 |

Our central character, Nyx, is a woman warrior and assassin in a war whose point seems to have been largely forgotten by the combatants, working her way across the battle-scarred landscapes and streetscapes of a ruined world. There's lots of love, lust, betrayal, and horrible violence. It's awfully well realised.

I found it in the end a bit one-note - concentrating on the vivid setting, at the expense of a real plot, and without quite explaining how this world got itself into such a mess. Perhaps this will be dealt with in future volumes. It's a very good book, but I hope that there are better ones to come. ( )
  nwhyte | Feb 22, 2014 |
Overall the book is a compelling read, feeling like a future-flung, bio-magic version of the Gulf War; The God’s War has all the brutality and futility of a conflict with no winners, in which both external and internal landscapes are broken and bereft.

Are you frustrated with Mary Sue heroines? Well, here comes God's War to rock your face off.
added by karenb | editio9, Kelly Faircloth (Apr 1, 2011)

... the story is highly engaging once it starts, and Hurley smoothly handles tricky themes such as race, class, religion, and gender without sacrificing action.
added by karenb | editPublishers Weekly (Dec 20, 2010)

Kameron Hurleyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Palumbo, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jenn and Patrick
Nyx sold her womb somewhere between Punjai and Faleen, on the edge of the desert.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159780214X, Paperback)

Nyx had already been to hell. One prayer more or less wouldn t make any difference...

There's not a chance in hell of ending it.

Nyx is a former government assassin who makes a living cutting off heads for cash. But when a dubious deal between her government and an alien gene pirate goes bad, Nyx's ugly past makes her the top pick for a covert recovery. The head they want her to bring home could end the war--but at what price?

The world is about to find out.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:26 -0400)

"On a ravaged, contaminated world, a centuries-old holy war rages, fought by a bloody mix of mercenaries, magicians, and conscripted soldiers. Though the origins of the war are shady and complex, there's one thing everybody agrees on-- There's not a chance in hell of ending it. Nyx is a former government assassin who makes a living cutting off heads for cash. But when a dubious deal between her government and an alien gene pirate goes bad, Nyx's ugly past makes her the top pick for a covert recovery. The head they want her to bring home could end the war-- but at what price? The world is about to find out"--Back cover.… (more)

57 wanted3 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,911,165 books! | Top bar: Always visible