The Forgotten Waltz by Anne Enright

The Forgotten Waltz (2011)

by Anne Enright

6874721,182 (3.39)1 / 143

English (46)  Dutch (1)  All languages (47)
Told mostly through first person narrative with very little dialog, ‘The Forgotten Waltz’ is the story of an affair. Despite all the evidence of a grand passion, our narrator has a very clear head about what she’s down and how she’s gotten to where she is. Softly realistic and delicately haunting. ( )
  Seafox | Jul 24, 2019 |
Beautiful prose, but I hated the characters. I've had a string of books with this particular affliction lately... ( )
  Jandrew74 | May 26, 2019 |
****This was a Goodreads first reads book***

This book was nicely written. It's an interesting look into what effects an extra marital affair will have on a family. The characters are likeable, but they didn't quite catch me, or make me feel for them. Well, that's not entirely true, I do feel for Evie, just a bit.

Part of the reason the story didn't grab me right away is the style of the writing. It doesn't follow the typical story format of clear beginning, with the character building, conflict, conflict resolution, and climax. This story doesn't have a climax at all. That's not to say that a story has to follow this format to be well done, or enjoyable, though it would have helped in this case. At the beginning of the book I remember thinking to myself "What in the world are these characters doing together, what is the point of all this?"

I think that may have been the intention, seeing as an affair, just like the waltz involves careful steps. And even in a waltz there's the chance you'll miss a step or two. Or mix up the order a bit.

One thing that I really did enjoy, (though I may be wrong about this, I'm not sure) was that all of the chapter headings were song titles. I think the title of the novel itself may be an allusion to the whole process of courting someone, and specifically how once people are married or have been together a long time, they forget how great things were for them in the beginning of a relationship.

It seemed to me that Sean and Gina's affair was the result of their both being bored in their current relationships and looking for rush of feelings, when everything is new again, not worn down and routine with time. Unsurprisingly, Sean and Gina's relationship became just as worn over time as their previous marriages had been.

Thanks to Goodreads for the copy. ( )
  Melissalovesreading | Sep 30, 2018 |
I'm not sure what this was about. BBC's radio broadcast in 8, 15-minute segments. It seemed to be one woman's stream of consciousness, rambling on, jumping forward, then backward, frequently turning back on itself. It was just listening to this woman babble on about whatever popped into her head regarding her affair -- not really a story, per se, and not very interesting. ( )
  Lit_Cat | Dec 9, 2017 |
Not a single likable character, but the writing style compels. ( )
  dcmr | Jul 4, 2017 |
Enright’s channeling of Gina’s interior monologue is so accurate and unsparing that reading her book is, at times, like eavesdropping on a very long, crazily intimate cellphone conversation.

added by chazzard | editThe Guardian, Hermione Lee (Apr 30, 2011)

Anne Enrightprimary authorall editionscalculated
O'Neill, HeatherNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If it hadn't been for the child then none of this might have happened, but the fact that a child was involved made everything that much harder to forgive.

During a snowstorm, Gina Moynihan reminisces the string of events that brought her the love of her life, Sean Vallely, and recalls their affair.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,434,921 books! | Top bar: Always visible