Forgotten Waltz by Anne Enright

Forgotten Waltz (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Anne Enright

6084416,044 (3.39)1 / 139
Member:PamDon
Title:Forgotten Waltz
Authors:Anne Enright
Info:Jonathan Cape (2011), Paperback
Tags:2012

The Forgotten Waltz by Anne Enright (2011)

English (43)  Dutch (1)  All (44)
The book started out strong, the narrator had a clear voice, which pulled me into the story, and kept my attention. Although I didn’t like the narrator much, she was honest and upfront, which made her a more reliable narrator. I also found that the story seemed to lose me at some point, and in the end, I didn’t enjoy it as much as I did in the beginning.
The writing and the narrative in this book were wonderful, it’s what initially pulled me into the book, and it’s what kept me reading until the end. Even when I found that the plot seemed to drift and become disjointed, I still enjoyed the writing style a lot.

I found the characters hard to like, and it wasn’t because of their decisions they made. I think the issue with the characters were that they were one dimensional. It could be because of how the narrator her viewed each particular person, it was her personal bias on the individual characters, but they lacked depth, making them bland and boring to read about.

I also felt that the first half of the story was well paced and moved along quickly, but halfway through the book, it seemed to lose momentum and the plot became still and at times, disjointed. I found the flow of the story didn’t have the same flow as the first half. It was almost as if something was missing from the story to connect it together.

Overall, I enjoyed the writing style and the first half of the book, but it didn’t work out for me in the end.

Also found on my book review blog Jules' Book Reviews - The Forgotten Waltz ( )
  bookwormjules | Feb 25, 2017 |
This book, while well written, was not a very enjoyable to read. Not one of the characters was in the least bit likable. This made me not care one iota about what was going to happen to them throughout the novel. ( )
  Iambookish | Dec 14, 2016 |
Narrated by the "other woman" in a marital triangle, this story was honest and rough-textured, and felt like trying on a scratchy wool dress over naked skin, uncomfortable, as you tug and twist it, deciding you might like it with the right undergarments. Nattily constructed with perfectly fitting iconic pop romantic songs for chapter titles, it is infused with the balloon-pricking disillusionment of such a relationship. ( )
1 vote andreasaria | Jan 24, 2016 |
First person narrative. Booker prize likes that. Female voice. Story of an affair. I liked the book quite a lot. It rambles, not plot driven. But that is probably the story of most affairs. Gets at the issues. Doesn't overplay. A fine book. (Wanted a 3.5.) ( )
  idiotgirl | Dec 25, 2015 |
Anne Enright is always thought provoking, and her prose sparkles like no other contemporary writer. I've read most of her novels and short fiction. The Forgotten Waltz takes a common subject, adultery, and makes it something fresh and particular. Enright takes the reader to the heart of such an affair with all of its emotional turbulence. ( )
  lilyionamackenzie | Jul 25, 2015 |
Enright’s channeling of Gina’s interior monologue is so accurate and unsparing that reading her book is, at times, like eavesdropping on a very long, crazily intimate cellphone conversation.

added by chazzard | editThe Guardian, Hermione Lee (Apr 30, 2011)

Anne Enrightprimary authorall editionscalculated
O'Neill, HeatherNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If it hadn't been for the child then none of this might have happened, but the fact that a child was involved made everything that much harder to forgive.

During a snowstorm, Gina Moynihan reminisces the string of events that brought her the love of her life, Sean Vallely, and recalls their affair.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,634,102 books! | Top bar: Always visible