Forgotten Waltz by Anne Enright

Forgotten Waltz (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Anne Enright

5083519,998 (3.39)1 / 120
Member:PamDon
Title:Forgotten Waltz
Authors:Anne Enright
Info:Jonathan Cape (2011), Paperback
Tags:2012

The Forgotten Waltz by Anne Enright (2011)

English (34)  Dutch (1)  All languages (35)
So I read this in one night. Thick pages & generously-sized font, yes, but also a compelling story. ( )
  cat-ballou | Jan 22, 2014 |
  cat-ballou | Jan 22, 2014 |
Gina narrates her story about living in a very modern Ireland, and cheating on her husband with a married man. And that's the novel in a sentence.

What I Liked: I haven't read much Irish literature, but I really like what I've read so far. There is a world view or a voice or something that I find unusual, but not foreign--sort of like an off-kilter version of the world I know. The Forgotten Waltz fits in with what I know about Irish lit in that case. I liked how the booming, and then busting, Ireland of the early 21st century is almost a character in this novel. But what was strongest for me was the narrator's voice--she spoke deeply about very common things, yet had an outlook that is so different from my own, or anyone I've ever known, that I was intrigued by what would come out of her mouth next. This was aided by the audiobook reader who had a charming Irish accent--this is a world where people "tink about tings" ("think about things").

What I Didn't Like: I didn't quite get the point. It was interesting to listen to this Irish person ramble on about the mess she makes of her life, but it didn't go anywhere. I also didn't see much development or growth in any of the characters. And what does the title mean? I guess the back and forth structure and the back and forth relationships are a bit of a waltz, but where is the forgotten aspect? Is it that I will forget this book a week after I finish it?

Recommended for: There is some strong writing and mastery of voice here, so if that's your thing (I mean "ting"), then try it. If you need to like your characters, or find them having a degree of integrity, or if you need a strong plot, then skip this one. ( )
1 vote Nickelini | Jan 13, 2014 |
I couldn't quite wrap my mind around this one... ( )
  MargaretArmour | Dec 28, 2013 |
the story of an affair told by the other woman. while the novel improved as the story went on this is not as good as The Gathering. I did like the main character and there were some sections that were very well written. I wish she would added some depth ( )
  michaelbartley | Dec 15, 2013 |
Enright’s channeling of Gina’s interior monologue is so accurate and unsparing that reading her book is, at times, like eavesdropping on a very long, crazily intimate cellphone conversation.

added by chazzard | editThe Guardian, Hermione Lee (Apr 30, 2011)

If it hadn't been for the child then none of this might have happened, but the fact that a child was involved made everything that much harder to forgive.

During a snowstorm, Gina Moynihan reminisces the string of events that brought her the love of her life, Sean Vallely, and recalls their affair.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,649,157 books! | Top bar: Always visible