Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary,…

Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 11th Edition (edition 2008)

by Merriam-Webster

Member:LisaMaria_C
Title:Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 11th Edition
Authors:Merriam-Webster
Info:Merriam-Webster, Inc. (2008), Edition: 11th, Hardcover, 1664 pages
Collections:Your library, Reviewed
Rating:*****
Tags:dictionaries, dictionary, editing, English, English dictionary, English language, non-fiction, reference, writing

Mirriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary: Eleventh Edition by Merriam-Webster

Everyone should own a collegiate dictionary--that is, a substantial, if still abridged, dictionary with far more information than you find by just googling a word--or that would even fit in a pocket dictionary. Well, anyone who has to routinely compose writing more complex than grocery lists. My old Random House College Dictionary proved perfectly serviceable for decades--which was the problem. The copyright was 1984. You couldn't even find the word "internet" there, let alone such words in my shiny new Meriam-Webster (11th Edition) as: microblogging, smartphone, social media and tweet. So, with the new year, out with the old, in with the new! And this comes with the ability to download a digital version on your computer with registration.

There's a reason by the way I went with Merriam-Webster rather than choosing a new edition of Random House. The most important thing I think in a dictionary isn't just that it's thorough and accurate--it's of greatest value if it's standard and authoritative. And I'd read in multiple sources that the Meriam Webster Collegiate Dictionary is the standard dictionary in American publishing, one of the essential tools of an editor. At least an American editor--I'm sure those writing in British English will cherish their Oxford English Dictionary! ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Jan 2, 2013 |
this book is great to find words and their meanings ( )
  asube58 | Jun 9, 2011 |
Can't read much without this book around. AND it comes with a CD so I don't even need to grab the book. I try to keep one in every room of the house. (For you who don't know me, I'm practically illiterate without my dictionary, and I can't even spell "kat" without it. ( )
2 vote patito-de-hule | Dec 20, 2008 |
I must have every edition of the M-W Collegiate... I'm even on line with them now-a-days. The definitions are almost poetry, the typography is everything a dictionary should be and the illustrations are gems. Other dictionaries are just word lists. ( )
2 vote Hoagy27 | Nov 28, 2006 |

This version of Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, Eleventh Edition, is burgundy leather-look, and thumb-notched. For this new edition, America’s largest staff of lexicographers made more than 100,000 changes and added more than 10,000 new words and senses, such as 'convergence', 'Frankenfood', 'phat', 'psyops', and 'vermiculture'. The Eleventh Edition, with over 225,000 definitions, also features more than 40,000 usage examples — more than ever before — which clarify confused or disputed terms. Additionally, thousands of phrases and idioms help distinguish vocabulary for language learners. Special sections include A Handbook of Style, An Essay on the English Language, and Signs and Symbols. Over 55 million copies of Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary have been sold, spanning a time period of over 100 years. Includes an electronic version of the dictionary and a free one-year online subscription.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:06 -0400)

One CD-ROM disc in pocket.

17 wanted1 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,219,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible