Meet Me at the Cupcake Cafe. by Jenny Colgan…

Meet Me at the Cupcake Cafe. by Jenny Colgan (edition 2011)

by Jenny Colgan (Author)

Info:Sphere, Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Fiction Books, Read but unowned
Rating:*****

Meet me at the Cupcake Café by Jenny Colgan

Oh dear. I really wanted to like this. I've seen Jenny Colgan on the telly a couple of times and she seems so nice, as well as being from my neck of the woods, roughly speaking. However, this book was a hot mess.

The basic gist is that Issy, an HR admin (I think?) in a big property development company gets made redundant, and goes into the former family business of baking. She gets messed around by a skeevy property development dude, and finally ends up finding happiness with some investment banker guy, her cafe, and some new friends. Sounds like a pretty sweet story, right?

Look, I was hardly expecting high literature. And I'm able to tolerate a lot of plot stupidity - I love the Divergent trilogy for god's sake. But this was just plain stupid. Issy sometimes seems fairly smart, but then is idiotic enough to run back to Graeme every time he appears on the scene, despite him showing little evidence of having corrected the flaws that she herself has already recognised in him! Austin never goes to his job and is incompetent when he is there, but this doesn't appear to bother anyone! Pearl's behaviour... generally.

The first two thirds of the book is just about good-natured enough to save it from being dull, but the last third became so full of contrivance that I could barely stand it. I began to dislike the characters, and I found the storyline to be trite and irritating. Finally, the ending was just pathetic. The happily ever after part was a complete anti-climax as you'd known for too long exactly how it was going to play out - I mean, the story was overly predictable, but literally every detail of the climax is spelled out about 100 pages before it happens. The bittersweet part with Issy's grandfather's death was probably the best thing about the book as it really brought the story full circle. However, I didn't really believe Issy's reaction to it - I feel like this relationship should have been more central and properly integrated to the book. Finally, the end twist was what really sickened me on the book. Did Issy learn nothing from her experience with the cake shop and her mistakes with Graeme?

So, I'd give this three out of ten.
1 vote thebookmagpie | Aug 7, 2016 |
Clever, well iintertwined and a great story. The recipes scattered through were a bonus (and a reason to keep the book not hand it on). I have tried one recipe already and loved the results (as did my husband).

The story is a nice wander through "what could have been" if we did follow the dreams of our youth. I thought the romance element was almost irrelevant to the going into business storyline.

Liked the characters, loved the setting. Well crafted and totally recommend ( )
  Felicity-Smith | May 29, 2016 |
I found this a charming little chick-fic novel - or maybe it was the British narrator who made it so charming. Either way, the story of a girl who takes a chance and is successful and ends up with a nice guy has to be great escapism. ( )
  tjsjohanna | May 12, 2016 |
Cute and fun is the word. But then I do adore British chic-lit. It made me want to drink tea and well eat cupcakes. Oh the cupcakes and recipes in this book made me drool. I would love do try them but they would be nowhere near as good.

So it's about Izzy who has a boring job and secretly dates the boss (who does not treat her right.) But the book is about a cupcake cafe so we know that she at one point will move on to better things and find her true calling. And I love that she went for it and the friends and more she found along the way.

There is a bit of romance (I will not say more). New friendships, bit of drama, and yes just about finding yourself. Sometimes you just have to start over and build a new life.

A sweet book that will make you want cupcakes. ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |

So, I'd give this three out of ten.
  hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |

Issy Randall can bake. No, more than that - Issy can create stunning, mouth-wateringly divine cakes. After a childhood spent in her beloved Grampa Joe's bakery she has undoubtedly inherited his talent. So when she's made redundant from her safe but dull City job, Issy decides to seize the moment and open up her own cafe.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,464,365 books! | Top bar: Always visible