Broken by Susan Jane Bigelow

Title:Broken
Authors:Susan Jane Bigelow
Info:Candlemark & Gleam (2011), Paperback, 302 pages

Broken by Susan Jane Bigelow

An unlikely group of heroes comes together to save a baby. Michael sees future possibilities, each one leading to his death. Broken used to be able to fly, but once she lost that ability she has devolved into an homeless alcoholic. Monica's entire family is destroyed, her life is in ruins and she finds herself falling in with Michael and Broken.

This was a fascinating book. It has a comic book flair to it with the superhuman powers and abilities. The author has created a fascinating world. I did grow tired of the baby diaper jokes, it seemed that the author just couldn't leave that alone. But otherwise, I thought this was a very enjoyable read. Highly recommended. ( )
  JanaRose1 | Feb 25, 2013 |
This was fantastic! Everything in its proper place, brilliant character development, all-around fun to read, just plain genius! For such a short story to be so complex yet detailed and completely understandable is quite a feat. Congratulations to Susan Jane Bigelow for such an outstanding achievement in her first novel. ( )
  Gwnfkt12 | Feb 17, 2012 |
Have you ever read a story where the main focus was not ghosts, not vampires, not werewolves, not witches, but superheroes? Honestly – I don’t think I have. I don’t even read that much sci-fi. The only thing I can think of is Ender’s Game. So reading Broken was really, really new for me. And a really interesting experience.

The storyline was interesting, original, and a bit complex. Some of it was a bit predictable, and the beginning was a teeny bit slow to me, but definitely worth pushing through. Broken definitely sucks you in with the intrigue of “what the heck is going on?” and then it keeps you there with very interesting and actiony story. And, you know, the super powers were all very well-done, and I loved Michael’s reactions to his powers.

I thought the characters were absolutely fantastic and well-written, probably my favourite part of Broken. I loved Michael’s character specifically, and Broken as a character really interested me as well although sometimes I sort of wanted to shake her. Even a lot of the secondary characters felt really developed, which I think can be really hard to do sometimes.

Overall, I definitely recommend giving Broken a shot. It’s a very original and interesting book, and absolutely worth a first read. Even if you’re not into dystopian/sci-fi/superheroes, it’s worth trying! ( )
  hobbitsies | Nov 5, 2011 |
Michael Forward can see the future or, at least, glimpses of possible futures.The government is becoming more and more authoritarian and Michael knows what he must do to save the world but he needs help. Broken used to be able to fly but, somehow, she lost the ability - so now she drinks. Unfortunately, she heals even from death so committing suicide is not a possibility for her. Now Michael has given her a purpose but can she stay sober enough to care. But, in all the possible futures Michael sees, is there one where they will succeed?

Broken has all the elements of a graphic novel except the pictures. It is full of superheroes who have lost their way, evil scientists and an even more evil government who want to curtail all freedom, and a reluctant hero who must try to save everyone. And that's not a bad thing - I like graphic novels.

This is a fun, fast ride with lots of twists and turns and, although I found the characters a bit two-dimensional, somehow that just added to the graphic novel feel. So, if you like comics or scifi or are just looking for a story with lots of action,g ive this one a try. It's definitely worth the time. ( )
  lostinalibrary | Sep 29, 2011 |
Well, this was a wild ride. The United states is now part of a world government (based out of Australia) that sadly elected a dictator.. and things have been getting steadily worse. Armies of 'black bands' have been roaming the streets bullying people and calling anyone who disagrees a terrorist (hmmmm...). Micheal is gifted. He can see snippets of possible futures in his mind. One thing that keeps flashing to him as important is an infant he saves in the subway station. If he can get him to safety he could be the key to bringing democracy back. But not if the black bands are allowed to raise him.

But he will need help. You would think superheroes would be the first to help right? Not when they seem to have teamed up with the black bands against the populace and local police forces. But there was one who left... she was named Silverwing. Now unable to fly and living drunk on the streets, will she be able to provide any help at all? Especially when she keeps stealing liquor from people?

A little dark but definitely funny. 4.5 stars. ( )
  Bcteagirl | Sep 13, 2011 |

Can a shattered superhero help save humanity's hope for a better world? Broken figured she was done with heroics when she lost the ability to fly and fled the confinement of the Extrahuman Union. But then the world started to fall apart around her, and the mysterious Michael Forward entered her life, dangling the possibility of redemption and rebirth. Michael Forward can see the future, but all he wants is to escape the destiny he has struggled against all his life. When the moment comes, though, he finds he can't refuse. Now he needs the help of a homeless ex-superhero to save a baby who may be the key to humanity's freedom. Monica had a good life with her large family, until two strangers and a baby showed up at her door. Now her family is gone, her life is in ruins, and she's on the run from the law. In a time of spreading darkness, when paranoia and oppression have overtaken the world, can three unlikely allies preserve a small ray of hope for a better, brighter future?… (more)

Candlemark & Gleam

Two editions of this book were published by Candlemark & Gleam.

Editions: 1936460017, 1936460041

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,367,027 books! | Top bar: Always visible