Silk Is For Seduction by Loretta Chase

Silk Is For Seduction (edition 2011)

by Loretta Chase

Member:Lori_Green
Title:Silk Is For Seduction
Authors:Loretta Chase
Info:Avon (2011), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

Silk is for Seduction by Loretta Chase

Silk is for Seduction
3 Stars

Determined to solidify her position as London's most gifted and creative dressmaker, Marcelline Noirot sets her sights on designing the wedding trousseau of the Duke of Clevedon's intended bride. All she has to do is convince the duke, which is no easy task given both his reluctance to marry as well as his penchant for seducing beautiful women. When the two meet, however, sparks fly and Marcelline realizes that her ambition might just be her downfall.

Not the strongest beginning to a series. The basic premise requires a great deal of suspension of disbelief; the details on the characters backgrounds are too slow in coming and the romance is bland.

Marcelline's wit and intelligence are very engaging, and her honesty with regard to her intentions thankfully prevents the annoying keeping secrets and silly misunderstanding tropes. Nevertheless, she also comes across as self-aggrandizing and materialistic, and her relationship with Clevedon is problematic. He is pompous, self-absorbed and superficial, and the undercurrents of cheating in their romance is a turn off.

The secondary characters are far more appealing and the hints at a love/hate connection between Longmore and Sophy are intriguing. Lucie is also a sweetheart and the scenes with her shenanigans are some of the best in the book. The "industrial espionage" subplot adds an extra element of suspense and tension that is quite enjoyable.

All in all, the characters are not all that likable, but Chase's writing style is entertaining and the premise for the next book is compelling enough to continue.

Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
This book reminds me of Lord Perfect, especially because Lucie is so much like Olivia. The story itself is different though, and I enjoyed it a lot. Can't wait for the rest of this series. ( )
  Marcella1717 | Jan 22, 2016 |
Light. Fun. Entertaining. Fluffy Regency with some improbable plot lines. ( )
  lesmel | Jan 19, 2016 |
Absolutely amazing! I'm still reeling... Those who love Loretta Chase, know how good she is without me telling them :) The rest of you, people, read it!!! Gorgeous, and I rarely read historical romances. Superb dialogues, wonderful characters, and the dresses to die for.

I think it's better than Lord of Scoundrels. This should say it all. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
I really love Loretta Chase and her take on romance, though I'm still embarrassed to carry any of her books in public even after reading all of them. One of Ms. Chase's strengths in writing since forever is her ability to create strong, unconventional females and write snappy dialogue between the leading man & woman in most of her novels.

This novel started out really well - the sparks between the main 2 characters fairly blazed from the very first and the resulting dialogue was fabulous. I loved that the heroine was a business-savvy milliner, who dares, for pete's sake, to infiltrate the upper echelons of aristocratic society to market her designs.

About halfway through, this novel really turned to -meh- for me. The leading man, a headstrong, hot-but-capable-of-soft-feelings, intelligent nobleman, does a very stupid thing which was so unbelievable that it sort of turned me off the rest of the book.

So, as much as the book was off to a roaring start, I would recommend a different title from the Chase repertoire if you're going to try her for the first time. ( )
  cjazzlee | Nov 13, 2015 |

Chase, Lorettaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Busnel, AnneTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Griffin, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of Princess Irelynn
In the summer of 1810, Mr. Edward Noirot eloped to Gretna Greene with Miss Catherine DeLucey.

Sisters from a scandalous aristocratic family, and the purveyors of London's most fashionable shop, find love as divine as the gowns they create.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,781,819 books! | Top bar: Always visible