Oresama teacher by Izumi Tsubaki

Oresama teacher (edition 2011)

by Izumi Tsubaki

40None283,535 (3.19)1
Member:Shimmin
Title:Oresama teacher
Authors:Izumi Tsubaki
Info:San Francisco, Calif. : London : Viz Media ; Simon & Schuster [distributor], 2011-
Collections:Ex Libris
Rating:**
Tags:manga, school

Oresama Teacher, Vol. 1 by Izumi Tsubaki

This gender reflective Manga is unusual because it combines a serious topic with inane hilarity. The heroine is battling her own deeply ingrained habits and ideals in an attempt to conform. Conformity for a girl means pleasant, sweet, cute, etc.

Mafuyu is just not that kind of girl. She is, in the eyes of society, a guy-like delinquent. She is deeply honorable, but it is not valued because of her propensity for violence.

She is determined to change, but before she even begins at her new school, one of her teacher's sabotages her efforts. Why? I'm not entirely sure. This is one of the things that makes me want to read the next volume.

Takaomi, her teacher, harasses and supports her in equal measures. He obviously instigates or exacerbates some of her struggles.

And her new, reluctant, friend ,Hayasaka-kun, is equal parts emo bad-ass and stumbling teen boy.

I suppose I identify with Mafuyu, to some degree. She's a yanki and I'm a yankee. Despite oceans and continents between our cultures, the terms are fairly similar. Hah! ( )
  LoftyIslanders | Mar 8, 2014 |
(Manga) RATING: The first volume was enough for me. / OR: 2.5 stars.

There is some pretty nonsensical manga out there. One good example is Ouran High School Host Club which starts with a completely unbelievable situation and progresses into full-blown comedy and randomness (I haven't read it all yet, but as far as I did, it was a mix of crazy humor and some romance trying to get airtime). The saving grace of these type of (sort-of) gag shojo mangas is that they are genuinely funny. And there is some (very faint) sense in the story. Oh and the characters are actually likable.

Oresama Teacher is definitely one of this random-nonsense-happening-every-minute kind of manga. Mafuyu Kurosaki is a girl who's been expelled from her high school for fighting and as the story opens she is starting at a new school. She is determined to do well and not fall into old habits... she wants to be girly and fragile and everything she wasn't before, basically. But on the evening before her first day of classes she runs into a fight! She feels compelled to aid the guy being beaten and it turns out he is one of her new teachers. The rest of the volume follows Mayufu as she learns more about her school, makes friends (or so she thinks) with the school bad boy and is 'bullied' (I use quotes because I don't really know what to call this relationship) by aforementioned professor.

So, yeah, basically Oresama Teacher volume 1 is the very definition of randomly humorous. I'm not some big manga expert but I didn't get some of the scenes... some panels were confusing. Also, the story was just a little too random. Sure, it was funny, sometimes, but mostly it was just... random. There wasn't a lot of coherency to the plot and I actually thought the story between Mafuyu and the teacher was just too unbelievable, even for manga!
And I didn't particularly like any of the characters. The teacher was awful, Mayufu was okay but unremarkable and the delinquent guy (I forget his name) was just... forgettable and dumb.

Overall, this manga didn't impress me and I think that if you want a reader to collect who knows how many volumes you really have to make a good impression with the first chapters. I didn't feel like there was a story or something to go from where the first volume ended. ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
Information from the Japanese Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Mafuyu, leader of her high school gang, is expelled for being a delinquent and sent to an isolated school in the country. Mafuyu decides to work at becoming more feminine and well-behaved, but when she defends a guy who is getting beat up, she discovers the victim is her teacher.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,422,130 books! | Top bar: Always visible